Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 262 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I wouldn't hold my breath for significant frequency increases before Zen 2.
I had no rush with zen. Zen is great, but zen 2 is the real thing I'm interested in. That's amds chance to actually overtake Intel. Given how well zen did, if amd can just improve zen 2 in a couple of significant ways, it will completely change the cpu landscape
I had no idea of an hedt platform before zen came out either, so Threadripper 2 is my main look. I only need so much IPC before I'd rather have more cores for more virtual machines.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Well that is very intresting, or "classic AMD if you underestimate it you will be defeated".:sunglasses:

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquire...as-developed-by-engineers-in-their-spare-time

"It's not really a story of roadmaps and long-term planning or huge R&D budgets - it's a lot more personal than that and stemmed from a skunkworks project and a small group of AMD employees who had a vision of a processor they'd really want in terms of a high-performance PC," AMD's Sarah Youngbauer told Forbes.

They worked on it in their spare time and it was really a passion project for about a year before they sought the green light from management, which is quite unusual - it was something they really cared about. The result, several years later was Ryzen Threadripper."

Reactions: lightmanek

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
I had no rush with zen. Zen is great, but zen 2 is the real thing I'm interested in. That's amds chance to actually overtake Intel. Given how well zen did, if amd can just improve zen 2 in a couple of significant ways, it will completely change the cpu landscape
I had no idea of an hedt platform before zen came out either, so Threadripper 2 is my main look. I only need so much IPC before I'd rather have more cores for more virtual machines.

Well. real thing is that AMD is back. Intel is scared ... already rushing third line of CPUs in a SINGLE year (if we count mobile its fourth).
Coffee lake ... amm shouldn't they do better?

Intel is making all motherboard vendors very busy..

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Well. real thing is that AMD is back. Intel is scared ... already rushing third line of CPUs in a SINGLE year (if we count mobile its fourth).
Coffee lake ... amm shouldn't they do better?

Intel is making all motherboard vendors very busy..
AMD is back, but I don't think it was expected that they'd be this competitive. Threadripper was huge. Now with zen 2 you have the potential for Threadripper to be the huge hedt product for enthusiasts if they can increase IPC enough. Cheap strong cores? The best part too for amd is this is a market they can have a best in class processor and still meet demand unlike other larger segments, while having an extremely strong product here has a large trickle down effect too.

The r5 1600 sits in an amazing spot right now. I dub it the best price to performance chip out currently. Too bad Intel was too silly to drop the 4/8 chip to mainstream to compete. I don't think 6 cores competes with 12 threads.

Either way, r5 zen 2?
Thats a beast to contend with for Intel.

Zen was above expectations no matter how amd wants to frame it. If zen 2 can just be a strong iteration... 2018 will be super exciting.

I'm also curious to see what happens now that multi core will be more and more mainstream.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Yea, give 10% IPC and 10% higher clocks and R5 zen 2 could be my next CPU, perhaps i could even consider an R7.

Reactions: lightmanek

IRobot23

Jul 3, 2017
I have R7 1700,
I just dont know but have tried to play with 2+0 (2c/4t) and it does games really good. Much, much faster than any i3 that I have had.
I mean at 4GHz this is basically older locked ivy/haswell i5, but I do have memory at 3466MHz

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
From a greek forum user.

R7 1700 @ 4.1GHz with 3466MHz memory + GTX 1080Ti @ 2GHz

http://www.ashesofthesingularity.com/metaverse#/ladders/benchmark/overall/Medium_1080p
capturejvxq9.png

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013
AMD is back, but I don't think it was expected that they'd be this competitive. Threadripper was huge. Now with zen 2 you have the potential for Threadripper to be the huge hedt product for enthusiasts if they can increase IPC enough. Cheap strong cores? The best part too for amd is this is a market they can have a best in class processor and still meet demand unlike other larger segments, while having an extremely strong product here has a large trickle down effect too.

The r5 1600 sits in an amazing spot right now. I dub it the best price to performance chip out currently. Too bad Intel was too silly to drop the 4/8 chip to mainstream to compete. I don't think 6 cores competes with 12 threads.

Either way, r5 zen 2?
Thats a beast to contend with for Intel.

Zen was above expectations no matter how amd wants to frame it. If zen 2 can just be a strong iteration... 2018 will be super exciting.

I'm also curious to see what happens now that multi core will be more and more mainstream.
You mean how everyone wants to frame it, AMD targeted something & overachieved. I remember virtually everyone here saying how AMD could never reach Broadwell level of performance & here we are, seems like those people aren't happy either!

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Huh, I go away for a couple of years then come back to find out that AMD is actually making decent cpus again? It almost makes me sad that my 4770 is still doing great for me.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
You mean how everyone wants to frame it, AMD targeted something & overachieved. I remember virtually everyone here saying how AMD could never reach Broadwell level of performance & here we are, seems like those people aren't happy either!

Not really, exactly the opposite a lot of people(including me) did expect that level of Zen/Ryzen CPU performanse.

Short and clear, Jim Keller at AMD was not hired to pick strawberries in the AMD garden.When you have Jim Keller as chief CPU arhitech, well it is very logical to expect exactly the opposite of Bulldozer CPU fiasco.:D

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The r5 1600 sits in an amazing spot right now. I dub it the best price to performance chip out currently.
I agree! And not just with words. I actually went out and bought several of them. Which is slightly out of character for me, I generally stick to under-$100 CPUs, but the value proposition was so strong, I couldn't resist.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Short and clear, Jim Keller at AMD was not hired to pick strawberries in the AMD garden.When you have Jim Keller as chief CPU arhitech, well it is very logical to expect exactly the opposite of Bulldozer CPU fiasco
Only, I don't think that he actually was "Chief architect" on the project. Sure, he gets top billing, but let's keep things in perspective.

Reactions: Drazick

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Not really, exactly the opposite a lot of people(including me) did expect that level of Zen/Ryzen CPU performanse.

Short and clear, Jim Keller at AMD was not hired to pick strawberries in the AMD garden.When you have Jim Keller as chief CPU arhitech, well it is very logical to expect exactly the opposite of Bulldozer CPU fiasco.:D

Good to know they have strawberries instead of 'memberberries.

That's the AMD we want to see. :D

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Mike Clarke and Suzanne Plummer were the cheif architects. (Along with a few hundred other engineers). Jim Keller did early work with them, mainly on tools and fabric. Good stuff, but not all the heavy lifting.

R0H1T

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2013

I think it was more of a hope, even as far as I'm concerned. However Jim did some of his stuff & the rest of the AMD team did all the dirty laborious work, in short it was the perfect storm for AMD & they've been riding on the Zen wave for half a year now.

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
Yeap, even with 3200MHz with tight memory Ryzen is very fast.

If they can manage a 5-10% IPC increase + ~10% clock speed for RYZEN+ , then it will be a beast.

Ryzen on 14nm+ should bring a nice clock speed increase. The likely process node for Ryzen 2000 series is GF 14HPP. Samsung 14LPU brings another 15% frequency increase over 14LPP at same power. There is a good probability that GF and AMD are able to extract a similar improvement especially with IBM's R&D. Zen 2 should be a good opportunity for AMD to address the weaknesses of Zen like cache and memory latency and improve IPC significantly along with frequency increase especially for lightly threaded workloads. I think a >= 10% IPC increase is possible alongwith a 50% increase in core count. I think there is a good chance we get max single core turbo to hit 5 Ghz. imo Zen 2 vs Icelake will be a very close contest even for single thread performance.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So hard to read... So what is the total % AMD and Intel by month ?

Reactions: Drazick

raghu78

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2012
It's printed above the graphs on the second chart.

For Sep., 57% AMD, 43% Intel.

so thats by units sold. For CPU revenue its AMD 55% Intel 45% for Sep. Nice showing. But I think Intel Coffeelake will start to move sales back to Intel. I think October might not show a huge swing but November should definitely. AMD needs Ryzen 2000 series with some serious clock improvements to tilt things back in their favour. If AMD can get base clocks of 4.0 Ghz / all core turbo 4.1 Ghz and single/dual core turbo clocks of 4.5 Ghz they will be able to remain competitive.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
AMD Launches NVMe RAID Support For Ryzen Threadripper Platform
This updated RAID capability should work with any X399/Threadripper motherboard and any NVMe SSDs, enabling RAID modes 0, 1 and 10 for up to 10 NVMe SSD connected to the CPU's PCIe lanes, but a motherboard firmware update may be required first.

Bonus - AMD is getting cheeky on it's own feature announcement page:
NVMe RAID support on the AMD Ryzen Threadripper platform does not require specific NVMe disks or hardware activation keys.