Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 188 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
...at less than half the cost of the 3 year-old processor that AMD was never supposed to compete with up to about 4 months ago.
Excuses, excuses.

Besides, it just makes you think about how slowly CPUs advance these days, considering that 3 year old GPU performance is a bargain bin deal today.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Right so in some cases amd is offering 3x the threads, higher clocks, twice the cache,free decent cooler and charging less! Yet some people are still complaining, jeez what the hell have amd got to do to get a fair shake?

What about having better performance at is price than the competition whiout going to the bs storm of "but this, but that, but the devs, maybe after an update, tomorrow will be better, etc etc etc"? is that too much to ask?

That what we all want, better perf/price, whiout excuses, or promises that it will work better tomorrow, seriously im asking too much?

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
What about having better performance at is price than the competition whiout going to the bs storm of "but this, but that, but the devs, maybe after an update, tomorrow will be better, etc etc etc"? is that too much to ask?

That what we all want, better perf/price, whiout excuses, or promises that it will work better tomorrow, seriously im asking too much?
Right, of course intel is going to excel in certain areas, likewise ryzen in others, whats your point?
You dont really expect one processor to dominate every scenario do you?

Reactions: teejee

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Considering that 5960X is a 3 year old desktop processor, they are pretty underwhelming.

Those tests become more and more memory bandwidth limited as the number of threads increases.

Unless something changes, Phoronix is running 2133 MHz with their Ryzen platform.

This why the Ryzen cpu goes from ~Skylake IPC on single thread to losing to a Haswell 8c/16t cpu.Those things considered, I think it did pretty well.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Right, of course intel is going to excel in certain areas, likewise ryzen in others, whats your point?
You dont really expect one processor to dominate every scenario do you?

Why not? AMD dominated everything with A64 back in the day, the same is true for Intel since Nehalem.

But no, i dont expect that will dominate in every scenario, but since this is now the mainstream sector, at the very least im expecting to work right for the software that the average joe uses.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
A 1700 with 1 CCX disabled as a 4+0 is going to be better in 99%+ of games than any 2+2 or even 3+3.
That really ticks me off. I don't want to spend more than I need to for twice the cores over a 1400 or 1500X just to have to disable cores and restart my computer to get the most out of some games and the performance that the Ryzen 4 cores SHOULD have.
You're talking an average 20% difference between 2+2 and 4+0 in games, when 4+0 is already going to be 10-20% behind the 7700k.

No, I didn't expect a 50% better CPU for half the price, but I'd have hoped for a 4c/8t that's 50-65% the cost of a 7700k and 80-90% the performance. Which is what a 1700 with 1 CCX disabled would have been.

Yes AMD needs to "maximize yields" so what are they doing to CPUs with 3 cores defective on one side, but all 4 cores fine on the other?

They needed to release a 4+0 part in the R5 series to truly compete.
The 1600X and 1500X both don't compete. They'll both be slower in many games than a 6 year old i5-2500 or the 2c/4t i3-7350K because of the CCX issue that virtually no game accounts for.

I was thinking about this earlier today and I think that it's telling that AMD has decided to do a lower clocked 2+2. Yields on working cores must be exceptional and they probably have little to no SMT yield issues. Seeing that the tiers of CPU's are binned based on voltage it appears that these little 4c/8t parts just have terrible voltage scaling when it comes to clocks. The 1500x having the full 16MB L3 enabled is curious because each CCX has the full 8MB available and it clocks relatively on par with the 1700. With a micro code update I wonder if they're going to use the 8MB cache in its full per CCX to keep coherency between the CCX units. We would have to ask someone like @The Stilt or @Dresdenboy if this would be possible with Zen in its current state. What I mean is what if each 2 core CCX had access to 4MB+4MB with the second being an exact copy of the other 4MB on its sister CCX across the way so that the cross CCX latency is eliminated by keeping the cache mirrored

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Sure, it did, but

That question does not allow this answer.

Depends on what he meant by desktop CPU. If he meant non-HEDT platform, dual channel limited integrated memory controller processor, then the answer is yes.

If he meant price/performance then the answer is yes.

If he meant for any processor that can fit into an ATX motherboard and be used as a computer from home no matter the cost, then the answer is, not really.

You seem to consider it only being the last option where I, and I think most, would consider what he meant being the first or second option, or both.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
You took my quote out of context to find something to be angry about?
I was talking about their quad cores and how those compare to Intel's offering in the same price range.
Nah, you just claimed something that is simply not at all true.

kush120

Mar 16, 2017
I own both a Ryzen 1700 and an i5 6600k. 6600k is overclocked to 4.5ghz, the 1700 is overclocked to 3.9ghz.

The Ryzen is wayy better in games. I don't understand all this. When reviewers do their reviews, they have ONLY the game running and compare FPS. That is not realworld. When I use my PC, I have youtube, podcast, music, browsers, vent, skype, etc open. This is where Ryzen pulls ahead. The ability to use multiple programs and not have a reduced FPS while gaming.

Especially if you want to stream, then it no contest.

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
Nah, you just claimed something that is simply not at all true.

Maybe in your own alternative facts world.
Keep going though, it's quite funny.
R5EstimatesST.png

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
You seem to consider it only being the last option where I, and I think most, would consider what he meant being the first or second option, or both.
No, i only consider non-server, non-embedded CPUs as desktop. 5960X, even though it uses server die, is not a server CPU. It is certainly not embedded one either, hence it is a desktop CPU.

I would not consider single socket Xeons as desktop CPUs, for example.

The Ryzen is wayy better in games. I don't understand all this. When reviewers do their reviews, they have ONLY the game running and compare FPS. That is not realworld. When I use my PC, I have youtube, podcast, music, browsers, vent, skype, etc open. This is where Ryzen pulls ahead. The ability to use multiple programs and not have a reduced FPS while gaming.
I believe you but may i see numbers :)?

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
No, i only consider non-server, non-embedded CPUs as desktop. 5960X, even though it uses server die, is not a server CPU. It is certainly not embedded one either, hence it is a desktop CPU.

I would not consider single socket Xeons as desktop CPUs, for example.

I believe you but may i see numbers :)?
You have a ryzen dont you? Whats your experience with games?

ManyThreads

Mar 6, 2017
Has anyone read anything or had experience with the Asus Prime X370 Pro mobo? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/

It is extremely cheap ($219 here in Canada), and seems to have everything I could ever want, including 3200 OC Ram support, dual channel 64GB RAM support, M2 drive support, the X370 chipset, USB 3.1, etc. etc. I only will be using a single video card.

Why is a board like this so much cheaper than the CH6? ($350 where I am). Would the VRM still hold up to a good OC on a Ryzen 1700 (3.9-4.0Ghz target)? Not only is the CH6 perpetually out of stock, but I don't know what I am getting for that 60% price increase.

There is a lone review on Newegg and it is very negative, but it's too small of a sample size.

Thanks in advance and apologies for my ignorance - just trying to settle on a final build.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Really? Are they also quicker to deliver the drivers when a new game is released? (honest question, no sarcasm)

Last time I was on red GPU was with the Radeon 5970. I remember having to wait for updated drivers. nVidia handled that much better. If AMD has gotten their act together in this department then that's great.
(Ok, a bit off-topic)
That video card is from 2009. Their drivers have improved greatly over the last 8 years. ;-)

Reactions: Whitestar127

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
@ManyThreads ,CH6 is seriously overbuilt. If the prime has everything you want feature wise, I say go for it. I don't know what VRMs the prime uses but even the cheaper ASUS boards use quality VRMs so you should be fine. Just stay away from spiking the voltage to crazy levels and you should be good to go.

Reactions: ManyThreads

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Has anyone read anything or had experience with the Asus Prime X370 Pro mobo? https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/
Myself and a few others here have that motherboard. It has excellent VRMs, 6+2 design (no doubling) with the same MOSFETs as the CH6 and it's very stable currently if you don't play with it much. The BIOS hasn't been updated yet since release and has a lot of issues with memory above 2133/2400 though some have managed 2933 and 3200 depending on the type of RAM they're using. New BIOS updates coming apparently has much better RAM support though ideally you want to go for single rank and preferably Samsung B chips.

I went for it because I didn't want to invest in one of the high end boards but it has the ALC1220 audio, has excellent VRMs, the X370 chipset for expansion options later, and still has good overclocking capabilities for a moderate OC. I've tested my 1700 at 3.8 with no issues though it can go higher but I'm really waiting for a new BIOS before really playing with it.

The only issue (though not quite limited to this exact board) is a problem we've found with OC and Battlefield 1. Edit: Looks like the issue is with AI Suite, OC and BF1.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

His point is that the numbers don't tell the whole story. Many have already reported that Ryzen seems to remove the stutter from games in comparable playthroughs. More and more videos seem to be coming out of people showing a deficit in FPS with Ryzen, but a better overall actual gameplay experience because the play is buttery smooth compared to somewhat choppy performance with Intel. This doesn't seem to bear out well enough with the "accepted" numbers game, afaik.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001

Are you serious?
One of the main detractors that is borderline trolling any minor issue with Ryzen, has a Ryzen? :eek:
Unless it can be proven he has one, then it is just BS.
If he truly had a Ryzen he would have stopped his trolling.
Oh well. On the internet you can be whoever you claim and own whatever you claim you have ;)

Back on topic, while the 1600X paints to be the best value for the money, the 1700X firepower gets intoxicating :p
Will also be interesting to see how the 1500X shapes up. This might the most disruptive part in the lineup.

Reactions: french toast

innociv

Jun 7, 2011
I don't think they come out with a 4C/4T R3 part at any point. As I already said it's pretty unlikely that you end up with SMT being defective on both CCXs and not have something else wrong with it that makes it useless.
The likely reason there will be non-SMT chips I think is for TDP reasons.
The most poorly binned chips may be too high TDP with SMT enabled, so it's not that it's defective but it will be disabled and them sold as cheaper CPUs.

Reactions: Dresdenboy

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Are you serious?
One of the main detractors that is borderline trolling any minor issue with Ryzen, has a Ryzen? :eek:
Unless it can be proven he has one, then it is just BS.
If he truly had a Ryzen he would have stopped his trolling.
I have an uncanny ability to hate products i purchase. I hated all of my phones, i hated myself for buying C2D, and i still hate myself for purchasing a cooler out of habit that i could even mount on my motherboard properly.

But yeah, i do not have Ryzen right now, i have just laid off $400 (damn 20% VAT) for it should ITX motherboards and the stepping with better data fabric clocks come out though.