Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 179 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
This is probably a cherry-picked example of the greatest gaming gains from incorrect --> better CPU topology mapping, so take it with a grain of salt. Gains without OC are closer to 20%.

Throughout this process we also discovered that F1™ 2016 generates a CPU topology map (hardware_settings_config.xml) when the game is installed. This file tells the game how many cores and threads the system’s processor supports. This settings file is stored in the Steam™ Cloud and appears to get resynced on any PC that installs F1™ 2016 from the same Steam account. Therefore: if a user had a 4-core processor without SMT, then reused that same game install on a new AMD Ryzen™ PC, the game would re-sync with the cloud and believe the new system is also the same old quad core CPU.

Only a fresh install of the game allowed for a new topology map that better interpreted the architecture of our AMD Ryzen™ processor. Score one for clean computing! But it wasn’t a complete victory. We also discovered that the new and better topology map still viewed Ryzen™ as a 16-core processor, rather than an 8-core processor with 16 threads. Even so, performance was noticeably improved with the updated topology map, and performance went up from there as we threw additional changes into the system.

As an ultimate maneuver, we asked the question: “Can we edit this file?” The answer is yes! As a final step, we configured F1™ 2016 to use 8 physical CPU cores, rather than the 16 it was detecting by default. Performance went up again! After all was said and done, we gained a whopping 35.53% from our baseline configuration showing how a series of little changes can add up to something big.

The picture tells the story clear as day: configuration matters.

pastedImage_92.png

Source: https://community.amd.com/community...4/tips-for-building-a-better-amd-ryzen-system

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
They can't cherry pick if they found only one game with the issue so far.
And the graph doesn't show the entire picture as it only shows from 16 to 8 but not from 4 to 8C.
In the Techspot review it's likely that all were loading only 4 cores. Note that he 6900k doesn't have Turbo 3 enabled.
With 16C or 8C in that file, the many cores would leapfrog the 7700k
Wonder if Deus Ex and maybe Doom has similar problems.
1080_F1.png

Diff systems and bench but same game
48a2eb9cebfb4a8495399fb392fbf2d6.jpg

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Played the new bf operations maps today. Early access. Damn fun but people complained a lot about fps under 60fps. Server was reported fine. I didnt notice anything on ryzen. Think the new maps is just more concentrated rush. 64 going for one flag. I would guess it hammers the cpu - eg verdun.

Absolutely some of the best fps game ever. Attackers really need a strategy to win. Brutal music and atmosphere. Get frustrated as attacker.

Reactions: lightmanek and IEC

amg377

Jun 19, 2015
Going back to twitch streaming. I casually stream on a single PC set up. I have to run NVenc(4500+kbps) on my 6600k otherwise x264 will choke out obs/spotify and my mic software/browser tabs....depending on the game.

Has anyone tried streaming x264(medium) at 3500kbps at 720p/60fps on ryzen (single PC set up) with good results? any links?

https://www.twitch.tv/feellia/videos/all

Dead Space 3 test videos up here with NVenc at 4500 and 5500kbps...seems ok in theater mode on a 1080p display, but I wish I could do this in x264 at around 3500kbps with one PC...because buffering becomes a issue at higher bitrates.

I also don't stream enough for a 2 pc set up including the cost of a monthly capped internet....not to mention all the extra hardware cost =(

warning bad stream music =p

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Has anyone tried streaming x264(medium) at 3500kbps at 720p/60fps on ryzen (single PC set up) with good results? any links?

https://www.twitch.tv/feellia/videos/all

Dead Space 3 test videos up here with NVenc at 4500 and 5500kbps...seems ok in theater mode on a 1080p display, but I wish I could do this in x264 at around 3500kbps with one PC...because buffering becomes a issue at higher bitrates.
I could do some twitch streaming testing with Dead Space 3 on my 1700.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Exactly. Note the last two points are with huge oc's too! Lying has become second nature to amd ever since Lisa took over as ceo.
And this is why so many enthusiasts are put off when a product is released only to discover this truth first hand. There needs to be a gentleman's agreement or even a standardized set of tests that provide a factual basis for comparison. Some of the tests just have too many variables and if you understand how to manipulate them you can conjure up the skewed results you want to present. This is why auto manufacturers had to adjust their horsepower ratings when the SAE standard changed and a similar rating scheme needs to be developed for the pc industry so we can always do apples to apples comparisons.

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Played the new bf operations maps today. Early access. Damn fun but people complained a lot about fps under 60fps. Server was reported fine. I didnt notice anything on ryzen. Think the new maps is just more concentrated rush. 64 going for one flag. I would guess it hammers the cpu - eg verdun.

Absolutely some of the best fps game ever. Attackers really need a strategy to win. Brutal music and atmosphere. Get frustrated as attacker.

Yes people have been reporting more fluid, smoother game play on Ryzen all along. Which makes it more curious than ever that sites like PCPer, the champions of smooth game play, refuse to investigate.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
What lies are you going on about man? AMD saying that there is no scheduler issue means one thing, Windows scheduler works just fine, but it is not identifying CPUID specific settings on Ryzen currently. A micro-code fix will probably go out to help the scheduler identify what specific priorities it needs to use for Ryzen. The IPC number has been confirmed by multiple sources to be exactly what AMD has reported. Gaming performance doesn't match application performance currently and AMD has openly said this is a problem, so no lies there.

You seem upset that the performance of Ryzen didn't meet your internal expectations, or maybe it was the forum hype that got to you. There was no "overclocker's dream" or "we're going to beat Kaby Lake in gaming" promises that AMD didn't keep. They showed a processor that matched the 6900k in professional work loads on stage live, and reviews have confirmed that it does indeed compete with Broadwell-E in that aspect. Unless you want 144 FPS locked in games at 1080p Ryzen is an excellent product at a very good price. AMD kept every promise they made before launch, they even exceeded it some fringe cases.

People need to take a step back and understand that AMD is a company in dire financial straits and they above all else need to become competitive again. They are a business and their sole purpose is to make a profit, just like Intel and Nvidia. No brand or corporation is your friend, and every PR announcement shouldn't be taken as gospel. That being said, nothing AMD has done during this launch is even close to being considered a lie or unethical. Come back down to Earth please.

Edit: Spelling.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
I'd be interested in hearing the lies you are accusing her of.

unseenmorbidity is either trolling or overexaggerating

says

Exactly. Note the last two points are with huge oc's too! Lying has become second nature to amd ever since Lisa took over as ceo.

when AMD explicitly states that all cores are OCed to 4.1Ghz which is not lying

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Well she was blaming the ryzen gaming perf problems on developers. No no its not the server oriented design is the developers fault.
She is actually telling people that game devs should so the scheduler job, that is as retarded as it can get.
There is ppl that actually belives that bs and start repeating it all over the internet.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Well she was blaming the ryzen gaming perf problems on developers.

She acknowledged there were games that are not playing well on Ryzen and that there are developers committed to resolve what they can with updates in the future. That was blaming developers? She simply stated there are games that aren't optimized for the new CPU. What's wrong with saying that?

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
She acknowledged there were games that are not playing well on Ryzen and that there are developers committed to resolve what they can with updates in the future. That was blaming developers? She simply stated there are games that aren't optimized for the new CPU. What's wrong with saying that?
Nothing. Some people are either lacking intellectual capacity to understand that or there is a language barrier that is in the way.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

How can it be lying if the text is right there, like, infront of me... I can read it, right there.. Where is the lie?

edit : seems im late to the party, call me Mister Redundant then.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013

Problems caused by Ryzen design and the only real way to fix it is to only use half the cpu for a gaming process and its subprocess. Or you trully belived that bs that devs need to baby sit threads? Look at that F1 2016 fail because is using that obsolete design.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Well she was blaming the ryzen gaming perf problems on developers. No no its not the server oriented design is the developers fault.
She is actually telling people that game devs should so the scheduler job, that is as retarded as it can get.
There's a big difference between "developers fault" and optimizing for Ryzen. The basic scheduler is working but there are ways to take advantage of the Ryzen design specifically that future titles could see, or changes to current titles if the developer chooses to do so. And that's the line AMD has been saying all along, that there can be optimizations that can be performed, she's not blaming developers as if they did something wrong.

Reactions: prtskg