Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
But it shows that AMD PR was asleep again just like with the crap cooler on the R9 290X and the QC issues with the Fury X.

If they had been up front about the lack of optimisation with SMT,most reviewers would have had numbers for both scenarios.

Review sites which tested with SMT off,have done AMD a great service TBH!

What does it matter what PR did or didn't do? Is it not enough that YOU now know the truth??

Their PR has done a very good job around Ryzen and Zen, especially considering the significant headwinds they were going to face regardless of any of the results unless Ryzen was 20% ahead in every single benchmark known to mankind. All it takes is a handful of people and a website or 2 to start the controversy and then regular Joes with a bias to latch on and propagate it across the internet. There is literally nothing AMD PR could have done to make the narrative any different. If games weren't the controversy, something else would be.

french toast

Feb 22, 2017

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
It has SMT that's superior in throughput in most cases to Skylake SMT. For some reason however, it kills performance in games specifically.

Due to optimizations that intel has had many years preparing for. Given AMD's standing with game developers, i'd expect Ryzen optimizations to happen much quicker.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Due to optimizations that intel has had many years preparing for. Given AMD's standing with game developers, i'd expect Ryzen optimizations to happen much quicker.
They are investing heavily in relationship with many game developing studios and it will get much better in the future.

Reactions: Drazick

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
WTF,AMD?

Another Marketing Disaster.

Is this company trying to not sell its own products??

EPIC FAIL.
I agree and was really hoping that the reviews would consistently show Ryzen dominating the benchmarks but I have to call it like I see it and I will not make excuses for it.

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
In regards to gaming ASUS in particular, and MSI to some extent. It explains why reviewers such as Joker, Crit, UFDiciple, and TechDeals had far better gaming performance.

Golem.de in Germany had this to say in regards to their MSI motherboard.

https://translate.google.co.uk/tran...ndlich-zurueck-1703-125996-4.html&prev=search

This so much. The common denominator is the BIOS in the Asus boards. Even their last minute BIOS is terrible. AMD chose the wrong partner. Asus's BIOS is solely the reason why I stopped buying them.

Thankyou, now if AMD had just delayed 1 week until mobos got this update we could have avoided this mess.
Stupid AMD.

How is it AMD's fault that Asus can't write a proper BIOS? Gigabyte and Asrock don't show nearly the amount of issues. They all had the same time to integrate the new BIOS code. Asus screwed AMD big time.

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
Plus even they said the windows updates would take a few weeks.

I realise AMD needs to have sales,but waiting a month would have made more sense and gained them more sales.

They would then have no Q1 Zen revenue booked. Shame AMD appears to have little weight with the MS Windows team combined with unfortunate timing. Note MS is going through a change in their Windows 10 update procedures, they only released security fixes on the February update.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The phoronix gaming benchmarks were disappointing to me. The other benchmarks he ran it was doing great since the kernel he's using should have what sounded like the SMT fixes in it already, but that didn't seem to make its way over to the gaming benchmarks. Not sure what that means long term or even what the cause there is.

First reports on vt-d/AMD-Vi don't look great, the iommu group separation is terrible and unusable (SATA ports in same group as graphics card slots). That may be improved by bios updates and board selection in general is usually kind of problematic. Given how green motherboards seem to be now its not unexpected this might be a mess.

Reactions: tamz_msc

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
I agree and was really hoping that the reviews would consistently show Ryzen dominating the benchmarks but I have to call it like I see it and I will not make excuses for it.

Cool. I was really hoping 6900k would win across the board considering it costs 2.5x more and was expecting reviewers to show it dominating benchmarks across the board, but like you say, i have to call it like i see it and not make excuses for intel.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
This so much. The common denominator is the BIOS in the Asus boards. Even their last minute BIOS is terrible. AMD chose the wrong partner. Asus's BIOS is solely the reason why I stopped buying them.

How is it AMD's fault that Asus can't write a proper BIOS? Gigabyte and Asrock don't show nearly the amount of issues. They all had the same time to integrate the new BIOS code. Asus screwed AMD big time.
AMD had to have known, though. AMD should have made it clear that there would be teething problems and that benches would be inconsistent until drivers and BIOSes were mature.

Reactions: french toast

PhonakV30

Oct 26, 2009
www.golem.de said:
Compared to the original bios, the new UEFI increases the image rate in our game course between plus 4 and plus 26 percent, on the average even plus 17 percent! In view of this tremendous increase in performance, we had to be certain that our values are correct, and have measured with the Asus boards. This gives us a touch more speed in games than with the updated MSI board.

whoa......

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Perhaps this can explain some of differences we see in games for reviews, and some of the erradic behavior:

As i understand a lot of the reviewers use boards from asus.
Today i updated my asus bios on a b350m and and could change memory from 2133c15 to 2933c16/17 !
(on ddr4 3000 c15 corsair lpx 2*8gb)

This old bios seem completely unable to use the few memory profiles it had - and i couldnt set memory to 1.35V that is standard voltage for 2400-3000! - so even 2400 crashed. I wouldnt be surprised if some reviewers have used the spd standard setting of 2133 c15 of pure frustration. Because getting memory to run just 2400 using the bios was a mess.

Secondly - and here comes the point.
The bios i downloaded today - and was first made public today - doesnt seem to reset the prior settings for memory profiles. It means it eg keeps latency settings from 2400 and use it for 2933 ! - so it have the memory profiles alright but doesnt seem to use it right. Thats how it looks to me.

This is the memory kit i have used
http://www.corsair.com/en-eu/vengea...00mhz-c15-memory-kit-black-cmk16gx4m2b3000c15

french toast

Feb 22, 2017

amd gave 3 weeks for mobo makers to get the bios sorted, thats not nearly enough time, chances are the bios on all boards will improve in one week.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
post deleted

It'd be more accurate to say "If you're ONLY a gamer, Ryzen in its current state is not the CPU to buy."

You get 90% of a 7700 for gaming (turn SMT off) and 90% of a 6900 for productivity for <$500. Even if the problems never existed and you never had to turn SMT on/off Ryzen still wouldn't be a recommendation for someone who solely games. Just like the 6900 and any 6+ core Intel chip isn't recommended.

If you do both, no Intel chip is worth it as far as I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
It'd be more accurate to say "If you're ONLY a gamer, Ryzen in its current state is not the CPU to buy."

You get 90% of a 7700 for gaming (turn SMT off) and 90% of a 6900 for productivity for <$500. Even if the problems never existed and you never had to turn SMT on/off Ryzen still wouldn't be a recommendation for someone who solely games. Just like the 6900 and any 6+ core Intel chip isn't recommended.
With all due respect your wasting your time there.

Reactions: guachi

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
AMD had to have known, though. AMD should have made it clear that there would be teething problems and that benches would be inconsistent until drivers and BIOSes were mature.

They wouldn't have because they would have been running their own BIOS on their test beds. It's devoid of all of the mobo manufacturer specific feature code, branding, etc. ie it's lean a heck of a lot more stable. Even if they did, the fact that Asus boards were in the review samples is purely a marketing decision. It's advertising. AMD can't really burn down Asus publicly. AMD did email to make sure the reviewers were aware of the latest BIOS updates.

MajinCry

Platinum Member
Jul 28, 2015
Majincry draw call performance looks shocking, i wonder what is causing all this?

It's extremely disappointing. I was hoping that Ryzen would make the draw call jump, but no. I'm hoping that the SMT & BIOS & OS issues have a cumulative effect, which gives it such a bad score. Not holding my breath though, it scores exactly like a Phenom II running Win 10.

Now that I think about it, that's probably why we're not seeing remotely competent framerate benchmarks. Focusing on average & maximum fps, rather than minimum framerates in the most intensive areas, will avoid making Ryzen look extremely bad.

clocks11

Mar 3, 2017
1st post on these forums:

I have been holding out on making an account, but some of you guys are frigging NUTS! Way, way, way too much negativity here. Six months ago, if we knew this is the CPU we would be getting(core count, IPC, TDP, price, etc..), you'd all be giddy with excitement. NO ONE thought it would compete with, much less beat Intel on IPC. So why are people so disappointed it didnt do what NO ONE expected it to be able to do? AMD surpased their own stated IPC goal. Yet now it is out, and suddenly people are crushed that it doesn't match a couple Intel cpus in certain games. WTF?!?!

At the very least, Ryzen will make Intel be more price compeitive, and re-think doing some actual inovation for a change. Ryzen is a homerun from AMD, and will only get better as the software, drivers, etc. improves. Well done AMD.....with a fraction of the R&D budget of Intel......Well done.

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Wow, these are some pretty damning numbers for intel.

getgraphimg.php

I wonder why they didn't have that sorted out for Broadwell before launch.

FalcUK

Mar 1, 2017
Post deleted

Hi can i ask you a serious question? how bad must your life be, that you felt the need to make an account just to come to these boards and troll a piece of technology? Did AMD personally do something to you? i am trying to understand your mind and emotional state, you can get help, if you live in the UK you can call The Samaritans - 116 123, they have plenty of people professionally trained to help people like you.

Last edited by a moderator: