Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3144016&cm_re=amd_x370-_-13-144-016-_-Product

Don't get it. I don't see it actually offering anything worthwhile over the Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero.

Don't expect big overclocks from Ryzen 1800X. These large CPUs traditionally have a hard time overclocking due to their heat density. 4.2Ghz should be considered a good overclock on air. And 4.4Ghz practically a miracle. High-end water might get you 4.5Ghz.

However, it should be possible to push a few cores towards 5Ghz considering it was achieved on one core already with an engineering sample on air.
Do you think the asrock taichi is worth $45 over the asrock fatally k4 if I need wireless?

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
Ryzen is looking very impressive! I may just jump ship again!

Not sure this has been posted, but thought it was interesting,
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3172...-preview-ryzen-7-outperforms-intels-best.html

AMD actually met with the MAXON developers at the end of last year. One of the changes to CineBench 15.038 was a result of this meeting.”
Maxon declined to say what exactly the changes were with the new version, but the spokeswoman did say performance is comparable.

Interestingly, demonstrations by AMD used a slightly older version of CineBench, which would not contain the fixes in the program.

Probably to do with the Radeon Pro Render integration.

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
Ryzen hitting 5.2 ghz on LN2 is pretty telling that air wont go over 4.4 ghz. 4.2 is probably my guess.

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
Do you think the asrock taichi is worth $45 over the asrock fatally k4 if I need wireless?

I think the Taichi is ugly, but if that's your thing it should certainly be a fantastic board. The X370 Gaming Professional has a few extra minor features for $239... and looks WAY better.

ASRock, BTW, is a great company - they support their products very well (I've only built some 200 systems with their boards... only ever three failures - one DOA, one that lasted for a few days, and another that lasted for only three years - ASRock replaced all but the last one). They also keep updating their BIOSes long after most companies stop caring at all about a product. Asus seems to update for a year or so then quit (even for their high end boards). ASRock makes beta BIOSes for extra features and compatibility for years. My Z77 Extreme4 is running a BIOS that is about a month old - updated to improve NVMe support... one of the only Z77 boards that can run NVMe.

blublub

Jul 19, 2016
Its phenomenal compared to what?
As said the sb 4c was 216mm2 on 32nm.
A zen is 193mm2.
And they are selling it for 500usd. Hardly bad business but goes to show Intel could have developed the desktop market instead of actively killing it by offering nothing while posting 4b a year into mobile. 4.000.000.000.000 usd a year down the drain.
All while a amd team of 300 people was designing the zen cpu core. Its a damn disgrace - or perhaps funny...
The most self-destructive strategy. Now exposed.
I wasn't talking of the sleeping blue giant intel - Intel just got what it deserved: a kick in the butt

For me phenomenal is the performance of Ryzen especially when viewed in perf/dollar.
How often do you see such companies sandbagging?

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
Ryzen hitting 5.2 ghz on LN2 is pretty telling that air wont go over 4.4 ghz. 4.2 is probably my guess.

It's actually not telling at all. 6900K world record is 5.22Ghz.

Ryzen almost did that on its first day of launch, it may well go up a little from there.

Also, don't let that voltage fool you - a good chunk of that isn't reaching the cores... and physics changes with LN2.

You might even have better luck with warmer temperatures than with colder (as in -50C vs -200C).

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I think the Taichi is ugly, but if that's your thing it should certainly be a fantastic board. The X370 Gaming Professional has a few extra minor features for $239... and looks WAY better.

ASRock, BTW, is a great company - they support their products very well (I've only built some 200 systems with their boards... only ever three failures - one DOA, one that lasted for a few days, and another that lasted for only three years - ASRock replaced all but the last one). They also keep updating their BIOSes long after most companies stop caring at all about a product. Asus seems to update for a year or so then quit (even for their high end boards). ASRock makes beta BIOSes for extra features and compatibility for years. My Z77 Extreme4 is running a BIOS that is about a month old - updated to improve NVMe support... one of the only Z77 boards that can run NVMe.
I like the way it looks more than the fatality, but both are aesthetically pleasing imo.

thx for the information

Last edited:

blublub

Jul 19, 2016
Isnt strange that the i7 6900k used in the comparison with Ryzen by Amd have the lowest score ever recorded on any review?

is about 100 points lower, not a big deal but still thats a cheap move from Amd...
It's Because AMD used a closed oc case ant Intel's AND AMDs Stock cooler - if you know the Intel stock cooler it's clear it will throttle on boost a bit. But Ryzen even beats the 6900k highest score of over 1500, so what gives

Reactions: looncraz

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Yes, and on the launch it did 5.1Ghz. To hit 4.3ghz in most cases you have needed voltage that would degrade the chip in few months. So, yes, it is VERY telling.

With that said, as long as i can lock cores to r7 1700 to 3.7-4Ghz on low (relatively) voltage, i am upgrading single thread over my 6400 too. AMD did release a very compelling product, after all. Broadwell is certainly capable of that (with reports of 4Ghz on 1V), i would be surprised if Ryzen is not.

Reactions: CatMerc

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
Something I've been thinking about and haven't seen anyone address really.

Recently some material has been leaked from the AMD's ISSCC presentation: https://videocardz.com/65774/more-details-about-amd-zen-cpu-core-revealed-at-isscc

The curious tidbit is this:
z9dnOn0.png

The material claims that AMD has a local LDO voltage regulator. LDOs are typically linear but in other article I've seen a mention of the term "digital LDO", it's kind of a weird name but anyways I think this is a switching regulator.. as linear regulators would make no sense (they waste too much power).

Why am I bringing this up? Well anyone who's worked with electronics can tell you that voltage regulators/LDOs or whatnot have a dropout voltage. I think one of the reasons we've been seeing higher than usual voltages in various screenshots (1.87v in that 5.2Ghz LN2 OC and 1.35v in that Ryzen Master screenshot for 3900Mhz) is because of the dropout voltage needed to compensate for this LDO.

The voltage being reported is the voltage at the Vin or at the VRM.. but the cores need a certain margin to compensate for the dropout in each LDO regulator.

So this is something to keep in mind when thinking of voltages.

In Bristol Ridge was first indroduced the DLDO: each core has 48 bit controlled array of P-MOS that are put in parallel and fired together in function of the dropout to be obtained. There is a graph in the paper showing the resistance in function of the bit fired in the 48 bit control word: from about 1 ohm (1 bit) to about 0.005 ohm (all 48 bits fired). So i think that is resistive, but the on bit are controlled in closed loop to have stable and controlled Vcore.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016

Ryzen almost did that on its first day of launch, it may well go up a little from there.

Also, don't let that voltage fool you - a good chunk of that isn't reaching the cores... and physics changes with LN2.

You might even have better luck with warmer temperatures than with colder (as in -50C vs -200C).

This is one of the reasons i am convinced tha XFR OC is better than standard OC in extreme conditions (like LN2): the replicas on the chip will sense the temperature and will tell to the SMU the right voltage and clock to use each instant. With standard OC you fix voltage and clock and hope for the best...

Reactions: DarthKyrie

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
What is 6900k hitting on air?
~4.2, 4.3-4.4 generally requires water to not throttle.
This is one of the reasons i am convinced tha XFR OC is better than standard OC in extreme conditions (like LN2): the replicas on the chip will sense the temperature and will tell to the SMU the right voltage and clock to use each instant.
You are still convinced XFR is worth a damn? Also, telling the right voltage is only relevant for the power savings/longevity, the last things you care about in LN2 conditions.

Reactions: OTG and looncraz

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
It's Because AMD used a closed oc case ant Intel's AND AMDs Stock cooler - if you know the Intel stock cooler it's clear it will throttle on boost a bit. But Ryzen even beats the 6900k highest score of over 1500, so what gives

Nice excuse...Amd sandbagged the i7 6900k score on purpose to make their own cpu's look better...im sure they boosted theirs aswell..

2qxuddh.jpg

Now Ryzen doesnt look that good is it? yeah they have lower price but it isnt faster then what we already have...

Trolling is not allowed
There is not even a Ryzen CPU in that list.
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
Just saying, Ryzen did set the GFP for 8 cores on LN2 :). Though rebench of 5960X on 6-6.1Ghz should take it right back.

Just saying,

Cinebench R15

Ryzen R7 1800X - 1601 (Amd Own benchmarks) >at least a little bit of salt..

Intel I7 6900k - 1578

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Nice excuse...Amd sandbagged the i7 6900k score on purpose to make their own cpu's look better...im sure they boosted theirs aswell..

Now Ryzen doesnt look that good is it? yeah they have lower price but it isnt faster then what we already have...
That ^^ CB r15 ST score for 6900K @ 'stock" of 185(!!!)pts has to be the highest "stock" score of all time in history of BDW-E reviews. Kudos for finding such a rare gem!
Anandtech lists the score of the same SKU as 154 ( @ 3.7Ghz Turbo 2.0) in their database, but hey that is puny Anandtech.

BTW Linus reran the benchmark after the presentation and 1800X @ stock scored 1627pts FYI. So AMD actually sandbagged a bit their own score.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011

2qxuddh.jpg

Do you want to actual backup your continued accusations with any evidence ?

cuz you know
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph10337/81823.png
https://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/intel_broadwell_e_core_i7_6900k_6950x_review,12.html
http://www.sweclockers.com/test/221...-i7-6850k-och-i7-6800k-familjen-broadwell-e/4
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...l-broadwell-e-i7-6950x-i7-6900k-review-5.html
http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-core-i7-6900k-processor-review_191040/7

All these lairs, when one source is completely different to all the rest and given that AMD give exact system specifications in the damn slide deck maybe you have gone for the erroneous one because it fits your rear guard action?

edit: ROFL, those red scores aren't ST CPU they are openGL............ LOL!!!!! look at 6700k @ 4.8ghz...... AWESOME OWN GOAL!!!!!

Last edited:

Nothingness

Platinum Member
Jul 3, 2013
Considering that Zen's integer unit is much stronger than the floating-point unit, I'd say AMD is underplaying its hands still.
The score AMD quoted for SPEC INT 2006 isn't that impressive. It looks below Haswell.

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
That ^^ CB r15 ST score for 6900K @ 'stock" of 185(!!!)pts has to be the highest "stock" score of all time in history of BDW-E reviews. Kudos for finding such a rare gem!
Anandtech lists the score of the same SKU as 154 ( @ 3.7Ghz Turbo 2.0) in their database, but hey that is puny Anandtech.

BTW Linus reran the benchmark after the presentation and 1800X @ stock scored 1627pts FYI. So AMD actually sandbagged a bit their own score.

Thats OpenGL score you doofus :D