Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
Isnt strange that the i7 6900k used in the comparison with Ryzen by Amd have the lowest score ever recorded on any review?

is about 100 points lower, not a big deal but still thats a cheap move from Amd...
actually AMD's score is higher if we're looking at cinebench single threaded. ;)

AMD:
R-18b.jpg

anandtech 6900K Review:
81823.png

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
Isnt strange that the i7 6900k used in the comparison with Ryzen by Amd have the lowest score ever recorded on any review?

is about 100 points lower, not a big deal but still thats a cheap move from Amd...

1474 and 162 for what AMD has vs
1472.9 and 164.9 with 4GHz ST , DDR4 3200 and stock cooling http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-broadwell-e-6950x-6900k-6850k-6800k,4587-4.html
1547 and 153 with ST at 3.7GHz, DDR4 2400 and CM Nepton 14XL http://www.anandtech.com/show/10337...6900k-6850k-and-6800k-tested-up-to-10-cores/6

Last edited:

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
AMD needs to attack the server market with these chips.

Buddy, in the server market Ryzen will hit a home run for a stronger bang for the buck than even the regular desktop market. That was one of the biggest targets with Ryzen. They decided to hit the desktop and hedt first. Takes more time, testing, and validation for the server environment. It will be here around the latter part of the summer probably. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an even higher hedt target based on 16/32 to hit harder on the Intel 12c based hpc market in the future from AMD.

DarkKnightDude

Mar 10, 2011
Do you, ehm, have access to those machines?

I might have access to them. ;)

NDA though, so our company won't be publishing anything yet. Our readship/viewership is actually locally aimed, there's plenty of interest here in Ryzen.

The sample boxes look exactly like what this guy got, though we got like five or six of them on hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkCc98makG4

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Buddy, in the server market Ryzen will hit a home run for a stronger bang for the buck than even the regular desktop market. That was one of the biggest targets with Ryzen. They decided to hit the desktop and hedt first. Takes more time, testing, and validation for the server environment. It will be here around the latter part of the summer probably. I wouldn't be surprised if there is an even higher hedt target based on 16/32 to hit harder on the Intel 12c based hpc market in the future from AMD.

I'm sure this will happen sometime in the future. They've left the R9 name free. It's Ryzen 3, Ryzen 5, Ryzen 7. What about Ryzen 9? ATI used that naming scheme (R3 R5 R7 R9), now having moved to R10 (RX) but AMD doesn't for their CPUs? It doesn't compute. (I know, Ryzen 3 vs i3, Ryzen 5 vs i5, Ryzen 7 vs i7, but still. It's a possibility.)

AM4 has the same package size as AM3.. which is 40*40mm.. which amounts to 1600mm^2. You can physically fit two Ryzen dies (193mm^2 each) in there without much issue. The dies could communicate via their GMI links as they do in Naples.

Clockspeeds will obviously take a hit as to fit in, say a 95-125-140w TDP slot.. but then you could have an unlocked 16 core 32 thread monster in a single socket. Such a product could be possible now, or in the future with refined dies that consume less or clock higher.

But then you'd require a motherboard with wiring for the other two memory channels... hmm... that complicates things. It wouldn't be AM4 anymore, unless some pins could be reused to accomodate another two memory channels in some special motherboards. Who knows. I wouldn't mind a new socket if such a monster is available at some point for the desktop market. Their own HEDT.

Or they could be reserving Ryzen 9 for Zen+ next year...

Last edited:

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Yes sir but most likely the hedt server based cpu's with 16+ core will be a completely different platform and pin layout like Intel. I doubt AM4 could support Quad channel or higher imc in its current form.

Reactions: MangoX

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
I am disappointed about that as well because I really do not need performance at the moment but I sure do want to play with it. A 1100 or a 1300X would have been nice.

I was wanting either 4c8t X or 6c12t nonX. Looks like I have to wait till the latter part of April.

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
They could be just waiting to see how demand is and if they can meet 8 cores demand with current production levels before releasing fewer cores.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
It usually wouldnt bother me as its become the norm to paper launch nowadays with stock being very hard to come by in the first weeks.

What irks me about it as they made the effort to come out and say they are launching with a full stack of SKU's on launch day and then after doing that still paper launch it anyways.

My understanding is they are doing a HARD Launch for 8 core skus on March 2nd. I do not recall her saying any other sku at all than 8 core skus.

And yes, I wanted the high end 4/8 or lower 6/12 but it looks to be April.

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
Has anybody noticed that AMD is using Cinebench for their benchmark? I think that's weird, I mean I've been told on this forum so many, many times that you can't use Cinebench to compare between AMD and Intel because it's biased towards Intel.

So what's up with that? Do you think AMD designed Ryzen to do good in Cinebench?

I think they designed the CPU and it happened to do good in Cinebench.

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
@unseenmorbidity so far everything we've seen indicates that there is no feature crippling between X and non X chips.. non X chips just have more conservative base clocks for lower power consumption.

Reactions: looncraz