Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Well it only took 10 years for amd to become competitive, it won't be long and Intel will crush ryzen like a coke can.

It's surprising people think like this. With the huge budget and resources that Intel has, they most certainly have simulated the success Ryzen could have if AMD executed.

AMD did execute this time, where's Intel now? Sitting on their riches of course.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

looncraz

Sep 12, 2011
I whould hold that until we know if XFR was enabled (no reason not to) and if it was enabled the st clock speed.

XFR is 100Mhz difference, max, between the 6900K and the 1800X. They scored the same in ST...

2.5% would be right in-line with what earlier math was suggesting (~3%), so I think XFR was active on the 1800X and we saw 4.1Ghz vs 4.0Ghz.

But that is inside the margin of error for these tests... and clocks don't always scale linearly. Sometimes you get sub-optimal scaling, sometimes you even get beneficial scaling (due to timing changes).

sirmo

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2011
World record CB15 score:
zVPLYDl.jpg

formulav8

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2000
o_O from Charlie

SemiAccurate is confident that Ryzen’s performance will hold up across a wide range of benchmarks. This last bit may explain why Intel PR sent out a last-minute “call us before you write” email to most of the press, but not SemiAccurate, after hours last night. You could infer that they are suddenly really worried about something.

Wonder if we will see a certain "unexpected" commonality in the reviews....

Ha ha, Intel also updated their "Ripping off the Consumer 101" hand book a week or so ago adding Ryzen info to it.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So the "full stack" at launch was just BS and this is mostly a paper launch? with 2/3rds of the line not being released??

This is disappointing i was looking froward to thr 6 and 4 core OC results from the initial batches.

CentroX

Apr 3, 2016
So the "full stack" at launch was just BS and this is mostly a paper launch? with 2/3rds of the line not being released??

This is disappointing i was looking froward to thr 6 and 4 core OC results from the initial batches.
the lower end isn't interesting at all.

Absolute0

Nov 9, 2005
My system, at idle, from the wall... ~120W.

i7-2600k... running 1.6Ghz at idle, low load.

At full CPU load it hits 282W @ 4.5Ghz.

Ryzen is crazy efficient...

And, of course, 115W... minus VRM efficiently (~80%), so 92W max to the CPU. Minus the fans, SSD, video card, PSU efficiency... 55~65W left over for the CPU.

It's astonishingly efficient.

I am used to seeing power draw from the wall normalized by subtracting a constant (system term) to isolate CPU component, but the comments elucidated, likely not done here, so nvm.

Reactions: Magic Hate Ball

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
Just a thought, it was mentioned on here some time back that zen may be incredibly sensitive to both memory throughput and timings, so how much more perf can we expect out of highgrade 3600mhz ram now we know one motherboard supports it?

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
Intel's Core uArch is old, and being bandaided year after year... Right now Intel's only strengths are their mature socket platforms, however eventually AM4 will mature and AMD will tweak a fresh uArch that is already nipping at the heels of Intel's aging Core architecture.

Couple that with the fact that AMD doesn't have to spend billions on Fab R&D they are in a REALLY good position right now... The sky is literally the limit.

Right now Intel needs to start a new uArch and now that AMD has a solid uArch of their own, Intel badly needs to source out their Fabs to third parties like Samsung and Global Foundries, TSMC, etc...

I don't know if they can fill all of them internally all the while committing to the new 7nm Fab they plan on building (In Arizona I think?).

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I whould hold that until we know if XFR was enabled (no reason not to) and if it was enabled the st clock speed.
I dont find it that interesting acutally. Its broadwell level anyway for nearly all workloads. So plenty ipc. And what fottemberg said june 2015. Amd have known that for at least 1.5 year. Known. So their public celebrstion is just a PR stunt.

For ipc they are probably close to knowing where ipc for zen++ lands.

What matters is performance and what was tricky was to realize the high freq fo4 design.
It was a happt ending imo. I thought this as a server kaptop and console cpu. Not a 4GHz plus design on gf 14lpp.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Define "gimped" - in most cases you see no increase by going quad-channel. Single channel would have been "gimped".
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2982...ing-truth-about-their-performance.html?page=2
Which makes it even sillier that they gimped it. Giving full quad-channel to the 6900K would also have given more advantage to Zen in power consumption department.

It was only a few days ago people screamed unfair play because some anonymously leaked Zen benchmarks used JEDEC standard (read: non-overclocked) memory.

Reactions: CatMerc

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
I have an i7 2600k @ 4.5Ghz. Ryzen will beat it in every metric, no doubt.

~3.8GHz Ryzen should approximate 4.5Ghz Sandy Bridge performance.

Cool, thanks. I also have a 2600k. Depending on Ryzen's headroom above 4ghz, it may not be much of an improvement for a single threaded performance. Looks like I'll just wait and see what reviews have to say and don't buy into a preorder just yet.

Reactions: looncraz

blublub

Jul 19, 2016
The only disappointing thing is that XFR only boosts 100mhz.
Everything else is just phenomenal!