Official AMD Ryzen Benchmarks, Reviews, Prices, and Discussion

Page 79 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/837005253211992064

Take it for what its worth. bits and chips tweet on the IMC. Something tells me the real performance results are only going to be out tomorrow. I think some of the poor results we are seeing might be a combination of older BIOS and/or ES CPU / MB. Hopefully there are more pleasant surprises from Ryzen tomorrow. :)

A while ago, there was a post about the memory latency which the person decided not to post because they said it had to be wrong, given that it was so low.

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Dunno how legit are posts from this reddit user but her it is anyway:
https://www.reddit.com/user/PeterTarantula/

Some important bits:
AsMedia invested a lot for this to come out the right way, they did way better than decently in my opinion, wait to see tomorrow's benchmarks. People still expects intel to have the edge over mem bandwidth and single core IPC, I guess that tomorrow many heads will explode.

The 2000 series are for future iterations. No zen+ or B

Yes sorry, autocorrectors on phones are an evil thing. There is no Zen 2 but -> 1900x later this year, 2600, 2700, 2800...
1900x is better binned 1800x with higher clock

The measured data is incorrect due to outdated software. Check again next week with latest soft. ;) (in our own internal testing with in-house software, mem latency goes as down as 19 ms.

Edit. (Also keep in mind that actual bios are not yet fully finished, there are a lot of things to tweak or even implement, specially around mem configurations)

I make third party assets. Ryzen at 4.4 OC kills intel at all grounds, single threaded or not.

Ryzen is working incredibly well with Arma 3, they have been testing it at Prague. It may have something to do with the new optimizations made for the x64 build. We couldn't disclose the fps and such but, fear not.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
I took the easiest one to think about --> handbrake
Sure, it is actually the hardest to think about, but whatever floats your boat. And i was talking about 1700 vs 7700k, so you are looking at wrong numbers in the first place.
That would make Ryzen ~30% faster. (2minutes on 6minutes), yet it has a 50% advange against the i7 in perf/W (1.68 vs 3.23 => 1.68*2 = 3.36)
What if i told you that it is not a 50% advantage but 50% disadvantage? You can check with trivial multiplication that it is not Watts/EncodeTime (because then it turns out i7 was consuming 1250 watts. If it is EncodeTime/Watts, then it turns out 7700k was consuming less power (you divide 30% higher number by 100% higher number). The only options remaining would be that it is somehow 1/(Watts*EncodeTime) or Watts*EncodeTime, in which case it still makes no sense Of course there is a chance it is simply joules/encode time, but then the number is clearly too small for both.

Looks like a diehard AMD fan from his earlier comments. But definitely like the last person with any sort of inside info, especially considering his tendency to jump on conspiracies and usage of rx480 crossfire.

Reactions: CatMerc

french toast

Feb 22, 2017

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
It plays ARMA well........sign me up
You are believing a man claiming 4.4OC on Ryzen, memory latency lower than L3 latency on Skylake and that Baikal has the fastest x86 chip around. Careful there, you may have encountered a troll.
I think you speak for yourself on that one, you have been on that puppy bandwagon, I have a 140w TDP chip, don't really care.
That was more of a reference to hopefuls for 125W TDP 4Ghz base clock chip, or even 4.5Ghz clock in that TDP (cough, XFR prophet, cough).

FalcUK

Mar 1, 2017
Long time lurker, first time poster (registered an account just now to post) I have to say ive been reading this entire thread from when it was started, with interest, and it seems to me that a certain constant poster here is a troll.. im not going to name names as thats against forums policy, but i think its fairly obvious who it is.

but thank you to the many people who have shared information that has so far been credible, hats off to you, OrangeKhrush and a few others to name.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
I have to say ive been reading this entire thread from when it was started, with interest, and it seems to me that a certain constant poster here is a troll.. im not going to name names as thats against forums policy, but i think its fairly obvious who it is.
You are not wrong.

but thank you to the many people who have shared information that has so far been credible, hats off to you, OrangeKhrush and a few others to name.
What is funny is that his credible information contradicts what ya'll believing now. And hell, even the 1T part has been verified, to my surprise, the man has sources.

Reactions: Minkoff and CatMerc

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
You are not wrong.

What is funny is that his credible information contradicts what ya'll believing now. And hell, even the 1T part has been verified, to my surprise, the man has sources.

The only thing I can believe at this point is that Ryzen >> Bulldozer. That's all. Officially until tomorrow, haha.

Reactions: lightmanek

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
It has been a crazy ride, about 700 pages of mayhem. 7 months ago I had very humble expectations and every day it seems like these chips have slowly outgrown that. I am wishing tomorrow is a great day for all and should AMD return to the A game that is great for anyone even the fanboys.

I think the moment that won me with Zen was back in January when Lisa Su was interviewed b Forbes and she said, and this seems to embody the Ryzen philosophy. The bigger the challenge the greater the drive, being behind lets one innovate and thats what they thrive on. I think we have moved beyond doubt that this CPu will be good and I hope that everyone gets hold of chips soon.

The speculation may be over but I think this is just the begining for AMD, I have always had a soft spot for them, I think they have good ideas with improving implementation, I don't think it is too long before they are back ing the big game, that is great for everyone.

PS: my GF's son, got him a RX470, been quite impressed with it, first AMD card I have had in a long time and it is quite potent

KTE

May 26, 2016
https://www.reddit.com/user/PeterTarantula/

Some important bits:
C'mon inf64... Nothing he says is with any reason, justification or removed from what any AMD fan can dream up in places where holes exist.

It's all nonsense from a bored kid in his loft. A kid who's been watching too much Harry Potter.

The last few weeks of any major AMD launch welcomes the entrance of these random super fanatics/trolls with these great secret links, but we've never known them in decades.

Let the Hunger Games begin!

'Enter the RyZen'

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
So there might be a small issue with the IMC and running the memory at odd timings. Also, Ryzen should be able to handle DDR4 @ 4000 but with a slight voltage increase on the IMC. This is likely what the review guide update is about https://twitter.com/JayzTwoCents/status/837012777554194432
Yep I believe this is Media Bios effect :D. Jayztwocents is, just like CPC HW, very salty. It can be even seen in his videos from the last week.

edit:
Found this on Sisoft site:
http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_r...e6d5ecdfecdbeec8ba87b791f491ac9cbac9f4cc&l=en
68ns latency to the memory

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_run.php?q=c2ffcdf9dfbedfe2d1e9ddedcbb984b492f792af9fb9caf7cf&l=en
16ns latency to the memory

Same sticks, same amount

OrangeKhrush

Feb 11, 2017
You are not wrong.

I accidentally got him in trouble, but was not fully liable, the mod of the forum we discussed forgot to make the link untraceable and it was traced to source, he got a reprimand from AMD. Basically his information to me is me asking questions IE: if my calculation is correct, Ryzen at 3.7Ghz scores 1602 and at 4.1Ghz scores ~1750 give and take .15% margin of error depending on setup. and he would respond by say, I can confirm that is 100% correct.

He has had to correct information regularly but that is due to AMD firmware updates, initial samples had horrible turbo boost issues to the point it was just more sane to turn off. Lets say I trust him, and thankfully he didn't get removed from AMD's testing list and thankfully he has been able to help sort the fake from teh real. I think there may be one ore two secret surprises to come, but we can accept it is far and beyond what Bulldozer was. In fact I have practically forgotten about that AMD.

I have somewhat of a fancrush on Lisa Su, I will admit I didn't like the decision at first but I got it wrong.

Reactions: lightmanek