Official - ABIT AT8 Crossfire Thread -

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DJJ

Feb 19, 2006
Originally posted by: gobucks
Way to screw things up, Abit. Take what is probably the best mobo you've come up with in years and totally ruin it. Good job.

Bit of a sweeping statement! Been running mine now for a couple of weeks & had no probs at all? RAID0 has been fine as well, no corruption at all.

I think for the money & the feature set it is a superb MB...Fast, stable & superb sound.

Well done Abit :)

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
Originally posted by: DJJ
Originally posted by: gobucks
Way to screw things up, Abit. Take what is probably the best mobo you've come up with in years and totally ruin it. Good job.

Bit of a sweeping statement! Been running mine now for a couple of weeks & had no probs at all? RAID0 has been fine as well, no corruption at all.

I think for the money & the feature set it is a superb MB...Fast, stable & superb sound.

Well done Abit :)

What settings did you use building your array ? Would be very interesting...

CU

Demian

DJJ

Feb 19, 2006

CU

Demian

Enabled it in the BIOS etc & then set up RAID0 with a 64k stripe size over my 2 WD2500KS. Rebooted..F6 installed drivers & then Windows etc...

Touch wood had zero problems with the RAID so far.

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006

CU

Demian

Enabled it in the BIOS etc & then set up RAID0 with a 64k stripe size over my 2 WD2500KS. Rebooted..F6 installed drivers & then Windows etc...

Touch wood had zero problems with the RAID so far.

Maybe I should also try a 64k stripe size...
Until now I only tried 16k, which seems to be a bit faster.

Demian

Bingo13

Golden Member
Jan 30, 2000
I have not had any issues with two 74GB or 150GB Raptors in RAID 0 or 0+1 on this board. I can assure you that the official 1.1 bios coming out shortly solves the majority of memory issues (also updates the RAID ROM) on the board and provides a performance increase as well. ;)

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Bingo13
I have not had any issues with two 74GB or 150GB Raptors in RAID 0 or 0+1 on this board. I can assure you that the official 1.1 bios coming out shortly solves the majority of memory issues (also updates the RAID ROM) on the board and provides a performance increase as well. ;)

Great to hear, that an official BIOS-update will come soon.

In the meantime I also managed to build a RAID0 array with my two 150 GB raptors, using 64k stripesize, which is running now without problems.
As I prefered 16k stripesize, I tried this setting first, but this array was not stable at all...

Demian

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
Demian0,

We are still working with Abit on some overclocking and memory issues. What type of memory are you using?

Thanks,
Gary

PSUPef2k

Mar 1, 2006
has abit gotten their act together since the travesty of the AI7 "gaming" mobo that had PWM that would overheat constantly with a P4 3.2e?

I have that now and have vowed never to buy an abit again. Was probably going to get an opteron 170 with an ASUS or DFI board. Should I give abit another chance?

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Gary Key
Demian0,

We are still working with Abit on some overclocking and memory issues. What type of memory are you using?

Thanks,
Gary

As you can see in my signature I have two 512 MB sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC-3200 @ 2-2-2-7 timings...

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Demian0
Demian0,

Thanks,
Gary

As you can see in my signature I have two 512 MB sticks of Crucial Ballistix PC-3200 @ 2-2-2-7 timings...

I just wanted to make sure. Some people do not update their signature consistently. ;)

Have you had any issues with the board not booting with the CAS latency set to 3 with the Crucial memory?

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Demian0
Demian0,

Thanks,
Gary

I just wanted to make sure. Some people do not update their signature consistently. ;)

Have you had any issues with the board not booting with the CAS latency set to 3 with the Crucial memory?

No, I have never had any issues booting with CL set to 3.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Interesting question as I haven't seen any mobo mfr have 1.
As I doubt that I will ever run Crossfire/SLI (which is why I have an nF4 Ultra rather than SLI) I would like to see an extra PCI slot or whatever too rather than a 2nd PCI-E x16.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Heidfirst
As I doubt that I will ever run Crossfire/SLI (which is why I have an nF4 Ultra rather than SLI) I would like to see an extra PCI slot or whatever too rather than a 2nd PCI-E x16.

Me too...it just doesn't make any sense with newer faster cards coming out all the time and prices dropping so fast. The only way it would make sense is if I got the "second" card for close to nothing. Heck...even 2 X850XTs at ~$160 each doesn't make sense when I can buy a 7900GT for close to the same price which will perform similarly (or maybe even better depending on the game).

BPB

May 31, 2002

Add me to the list. Also, I thought I read somewhere that ATI was going to release an Xpress 200 board with X700 onboard video.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
I see the BIOS dated 2-13-06, but I still don't see a newer BIOS at Abit-usa.com. Before I buy this mobo...I absolutely need a better BIOS which fixes the issues raised by AT.

DJJ

Feb 19, 2006
Originally posted by: Budarow
I see the BIOS dated 2-13-06, but I still don't see a newer BIOS at Abit-usa.com. Before I buy this mobo...I absolutely need a better BIOS which fixes the issues raised by AT.

Yep can't seem to find this bios update anywhere?

gobucks

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
has anyone else noticed that abit's USA website is down today? They were supposed to post the new bios today, and now the site is conveniently down. if anyone has the new bios, could they please send a link to it?

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005

If you need the one we are testing currently, please email me. Abit was going to put it up but decided to wait on our test results.

DJJ

Feb 19, 2006
If you need the one we are testing currently, please email me. Abit was going to put it up but decided to wait on our test results.

Cheers Gary PM sent.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Tictac made a modded BIOS weeks ago that supposedly fixed the timing problems
(in case you don't know tictac is a well known & respected BIOS modder who has done a lot with Abit BIOS over the years).

But I'm sure that there will be an official 1 too.

Demian0

Jan 17, 2006

Hello Gary,

I did also send a PM.

Would be happy to flash the new BIOS before reinstalling WinXP.

Thank you !

Demian

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
Tictac made a modded BIOS weeks ago that supposedly fixed the timing problems
(in case you don't know tictac is a well known & respected BIOS modder who has done a lot with Abit BIOS over the years).

But I'm sure that there will be an official 1 too.

I used his and really liked it, he also added the DDR366 setting that we have requested Abit to add. Abit's bios is slightly different and has updated microcode for the ULi M1575 RAID. I had his bios solve a memory issue that Abit did not and vice versa. We greatly appreciate his work and I have personally used several of his bios updates on Abit boards in the past.