Official - ABIT AT8 Crossfire Thread -

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Originally posted by: pdu
There's no doubt this board has the potiential but it seems to me that Abit are trailing ASUS's RD480 offering in regards to BIOS development..
Given that the Asus board has been around far longer that shouldn't be a surprise.
The Abit certainly seems to have the beating of the Asus hardware-wise though.

FireTech

Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Budarow
I can't find the AT8 mobo at Newegg or on Pricewatch. Are the shipments of new boards waiting for the latest BIOS update?
Well, that would make sense. Apart from the CAS issues and memory compatibility issues discussed here the supplied RAID driver disk does not support RAID5 and the 1.0 BIOS does not detect 4x1GB memory correctly.

There's no doubt this board has the potiential but it seems to me that Abit are trailing ASUS's RD480 offering in regards to BIOS development. Furthermore ASUS offer a driver disk download that supports RAID5 while all ABIT offers are BIOS downloads - no drivers or utilities whatsoever. However the ASUS doesn't have the uGuru and only has 3 fan headers while the ABIT has 6 fan headers. Too bad the uGuru wont allow you to adjust the fan voltages below 8 Volts. Well, maybe one day.....
AT8 is definitely discontinued in Australia to be replaced by AT8 32X when available and a few other markets seem to be suffering shortages.
Is the 8 volt fan situation fixable by an updated BIOS or is that it? The adjustable fan headers are one of the main attractions for me (alongside the passive cooling) but maybe not at a minimum of only 8 volts.
Is Gary Key still testing revised BIOS's?

pascall

Mar 3, 2006
Originally posted by: FireTech
(...)
AT8 is definitely discontinued in Australia to be replaced by AT8 32X when available and a few other markets seem to be suffering shortages.
(...)

That s the shortest lifetime I ve seen for a board if Abit already discontinues it... I hope they ll still support the board (bios releases) though...

Gary Key

Sep 23, 2005
I can't find the AT8 mobo at Newegg or on Pricewatch. Are the shipments of new boards waiting for the latest BIOS update?
Well, that would make sense. Apart from the CAS issues and memory compatibility issues discussed here the supplied RAID driver disk does not support RAID5 and the 1.0 BIOS does not detect 4x1GB memory correctly.

There's no doubt this board has the potiential but it seems to me that Abit are trailing ASUS's RD480 offering in regards to BIOS development. Furthermore ASUS offer a driver disk download that supports RAID5 while all ABIT offers are BIOS downloads - no drivers or utilities whatsoever. However the ASUS doesn't have the uGuru and only has 3 fan headers while the ABIT has 6 fan headers. Too bad the uGuru wont allow you to adjust the fan voltages below 8 Volts. Well, maybe one day.....
Is the 8 volt fan situation fixable by an updated BIOS or is that it? The adjustable fan headers are one of the main attractions for me (alongside the passive cooling) but maybe not at a minimum of only 8 volts.
Is Gary Key still testing revised BIOS's?

I am still testing the bios, waiting on a certain GSkill module to arrive to complete testing. Abit informed us the AT8 would still be in the market, the AT8-32x is still under going final testing. A test phase that I am sure is the result of the initial issues with the AT8. I expect the board to give the AR832 a run for its money. ;)

FireTech

Mar 17, 2006
Thanks guys, I too was surprised about the AT8 being discontinued so swiftly but the gentleman from ABIT sales in Taiwan said it was a marketing decision (in not so many words) for Oz and that the AT8 32X had better features anyway!

Gary, I'm looking forward to the test results and the the outcome of the delayed release of the AT8 32X. I suppose it's better for it to appear late and working than hit market too soon and get a bad reputation.....

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Thanks guys, I too was surprised about the AT8 being discontinued so swiftly but the gentleman from ABIT sales in Taiwan said it was a marketing decision (in not so many words) for Oz and that the AT8 32X had better features anyway!

Gary, I'm looking forward to the test results and the the outcome of the delayed release of the AT8 32X. I suppose it's better for it to appear late and working than hit market too soon and get a bad reputation.....

My CC needs a break anyway and it gives me a chance to sell some used stuff in preparation for some new stuff:)

pdu

Nov 15, 2004

I personally find it hard to believe that the AT8 should be discontinued - unless the AT8 32X will be selling at the same price.

snor

Feb 3, 2006
Yea, I find it sad that its being discontinued as well. For the price you pay (~100$) and the performance you get, its an incredible deal. It is everything he A8R wished it could be but can't. As for the realistic reason for discontinuing, I would think it is profits. Maybe they will produce a newer mobo version using the 480 core, but it seems the first AT8 is dead for now.

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
" the gentleman from ABIT sales in Taiwan said it was a marketing decision (in not so many words) for Oz"
note that he didn't say discontinued everywhere but for Australia.
It's not uncommon for branch offices to decide not to handle every product that the factory may make e.g. the UL8 Pro is apparently available in Asia but doesn't seem to have been taken up by either the USA or Europe.

FireTech

Mar 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Heidfirst
note that he didn't say discontinued everywhere but for Australia.
It's not uncommon for branch offices to decide not to handle every product that the factory may make e.g. the UL8 Pro is apparently available in Asia but doesn't seem to have been taken up by either the USA or Europe.
Agreed, which is why I only said other areas seem to be suffering shortages.
That was the situation here too, hence my original email to ABIT asking the question.
BTW, the Oz distributor didn't actually know it had been discontinued by Taiwan until I had an email discussion with him.... :Q

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Well...how's the new BIOS working out for everyone? Are the issues with RAM and so forth history? I see NewEgg now has this mobo for $96 shipped (after $15 MIR). Should I buy one now or wait for more feedback regarding stability with the newer BIOS? BTW...I'm not in a terrible hurry to build my PC since I do have 3 fairly capable PCs already up and running;)

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Depends.
the AT8 32X must be very close as this popped up today.
Of course that will be dearer.

Summary
Pros: it's quiet, it's got good sound & it overclocks although perhaps not quite enough for the extreme brigade. I haven't tried Crossfire (& unlikely too either at £300+ per X1900)
Cons: potentially some layout worries, notably getting at the ClearCMOS jumper if needed if a card is installed above it

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Depends.
the AT8 32X must be very close as this popped up today.
Of course that will be dearer.

Summary
Pros: it's quiet, it's got good sound & it overclocks although perhaps not quite enough for the extreme brigade. I haven't tried Crossfire (& unlikely too either at £300+ per X1900)
Cons: potentially some layout worries, notably getting at the ClearCMOS jumper if needed if a card is installed above it

Yeah, but how much will the AT8 32X cost at launch or for that matter 1-2 months after launch? $150+? I like keeping my mobo cost to below a C-note;)

FireTech

Mar 17, 2006
this popped up today.
at least it's progress but I was hoping they'd put the AT* 32X manual up too so we can compare it's Bios, fan control features etc.

EDIT:This news may affect the future of all the ATI boards incorporating ing ULi chipsets (including ABIT) unless they have a stockpile!

SaiNRuB

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2001
You may not be wrong .... :roll:
http://www.atacom.com/program/print_htm...2_252_128_27&Item_code=MBA9_ABIT_A8_3X

Yeah, i saw that and gave em a call earlier.

Its not in stock despite showing up on pricewatch and their very own website. The salesaman also stated they dont even have a ETA. He got my name and number and said he will call me when available.

On a good note that bios that showed up on Abits website for the 32X is promising.

SaiNRuB

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2001
EDIT:This news may affect the future of all the ATI boards incorporating ing ULi chipsets (including ABIT) unless they have a stockpile!

Yeah man whats up with that?!

Thats some gangster tactics right there from Nvidia.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Originally posted by: SaiNRuB

Yeah man whats up with that?!

Thats some gangster tactics right there from Nvidia.

Notihing new there...ATI better pony up with the SB600 real soon. Which is really what I want to see anyhow (i.e., a Sapphire Pure mobo, not Crossfire, with SB600 for <$125:))

Heidfirst

Platinum Member
May 18, 2005
Which is really what I want to see anyhow (i.e., a Sapphire Pure mobo, not Crossfire, with SB600 for <$125:))
I'm with you (although I would prefer an Abit ;)) as I only need 1 gfx card but rumour says that Sapphire have dropped it for RD580 & it's Crossfire only.

Budarow

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001
Which is really what I want to see anyhow (i.e., a Sapphire Pure mobo, not Crossfire, with SB600 for <$125:))
I'm with you (although I would prefer an Abit ;)) as I only need 1 gfx card but rumour says that Sapphire have dropped it for RD580 & it's Crossfire only.

Too bad...I really wanted the Sapphire Pure with the SB600. I think the red and white looked quite striking and I'm not one for SLI or Crossfire either. Looks like other Sapphire boards are using similar colors though so maybe I'll find a board which works really well and looks cool too. And I also would much prefer Abit over Sapphire or other less known for building mobos; although my "jetway" (branded by EVGA) has been a pleasant surprise;)

SaiNRuB

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2001
I got a call from Atacom about the AT8 32X being in stock.

I would recommend calling them and double checking before placing a order.

That will buy me some time and guarantee me one ... ... ... Did i just write what i was thinking? :p

Fraggable

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2005
I've had the Abit AT8 for about 4 weeks now, I bought mine at a local Microcenter.

It's an ok board, the manual is pretty poorly written and was just plain wrong about at least one thing. It said that if you have only 1 video card that you have to put the dummy card in the 'slave' PCI-E slot. If I put the dummy card in, it won't POST. If I just leave it out it works fine.

I've been having some problems with system instability at stock speeds and I think I'm getting some kind of data corruption on my RAID 0 array, forcing me to run CHKDSK almost everytime I reboot but I'm not ready to blame that on the RAID controller yet. There's a possibilty it's bad memory or maybe even a rootkit even though this install is only 2 weeks old.

As far as OCing, I tried to use the bundled uguru utility to OC to 216 X 9 and got an instant crash when I started BF2. That's about as far as I got with it because then I started having all kinds of other problems.