**Official** 3rd Presidential Debate Thread

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
President Obama vs Some Old Guy from Arizona?

not the debates even matter, I probably won't even bother watching it... the past 3 debates, like every other recent presidential debates, have just been meaningless exchanges of press releases with each side claiming victory for their own candidate regardless of what actually happens.

was I right?

No, this was the best by far--and there've only been 2 past debates.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003

not the debates even matter, I probably won't even bother watching it... the past 3 debates, like every other recent presidential debates, have just been meaningless exchanges of press releases with each side claiming victory for their own candidate regardless of what actually happens.

was I right?

It didn't get too crazy but it did veer off track into some interesting directions, with Obama talking about the details of his opposition to the Colombian Free Trade Agreement, for example. I would say this was the best debate of them all, aside from the minutes spent whining about hurt feelings. I was a bit disturbed when Obama referred to the shouts of "Kill him" at McCain rallies, just because I hate hearing that possibility raised.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Syringer

was I right?

No, this was the best by far--and there've only been 2 past debates.

Agreed.

Edit: McCain really brought his A game, it just wasn't nearly enough. :thumbsup:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Obama was horrible tonight, clearly McCain blew him out of the water.

After all he has an opponent that pals around with Terrists, hell he launched his political career in the living room of a terrist.

Facts are Facts

I am convinced someone stole you're identity in the last 3 months....

Once you realize that Dave's only goal is attention and not actual policies everything he does makes a lot more sense.

midway

Oct 22, 2004
Schiefer did a MUCH better job than all the other moderators combined. It was nice to have someone who knew why he was there, wasn't intimidated by the candidates, and wasn't trying to make himself the focal point of the debate.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
That whole exchange about Ayers and ACORN and the rally's...that all seemed so rushed. Like McCain and Obama BOTH didnt want to talk about it.

And it was like McCain vomited all of this stuff out on the table and Obama and the moderator had to sort of clean up after him...it wasn't nearly as effective as some on the right wanted it to be.

I think McCain would have been better served talking about the AYERS ACORN WRIGHT business from day one tbh. He brought it up in the middle of the debate and he basically had 3 minutes to fit in a whole shitload of bogus attacks and smears...it looked bad.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
Originally posted by: midway
Schiefer did a MUCH better job than all the other moderators combined. It was nice to have someone who knew why he was there, wasn't intimidated by the candidates, and wasn't trying to make himself the focal point of the debate.
Agreed. The only one better would have been if they could have resurrected Tim Russert.

Ballatician

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2007
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Originally posted by: midway
Agreed. The only one better would have been if they could have resurrected Tim Russert.

If only.

Originally posted by: owensdj
Overall I thought Obama came across the way you want a President to look. He was always calm and respectful. On the other side, McCain looked like he was taking every opportunity to get in as many personal attacks on Obama as he could, even when what he was saying about Obama had nothing to do with the moderator's question. McCain also interrupted Obama several times. Obama never did that.

Ballatician, that was just another attempt at a personal smear on Obama. McCain was trying to make it seem like Obama was attacking the "war vets and mothers," which of course make no sense.

Figured, I was just wondering if there was some back story I wasn't aware of.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
After all he has an opponent that pals around with Terrists, hell he launched his political career in the living room of a terrist.
Facts are Facts
I 'm convinced someone stole you're identity in the last 3 months....
Is your sarcasm meter past due calibration?

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Just out of boredom I googled "Joe the plumber" and the #1 sponsored link (pops up on top of the regular results) is titled "Joe the Plumber's tax cut" and takes you directly to The Barak Obama Campaign's tax calculator. That is simply phenomenal. McCain's campaign knew that McCain was going to bring up "Joe the Plumber" repeatedly and didn't get ahead of this. Not a major coup, but I still thing it's telling.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe
Facts are Facts
I 'm convinced someone stole you're identity in the last 3 months....
Is your sarcasm meter past due calibration?

There is no known meter calibrated to Dave.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Joe the plumber just got a foreclosure notice this evening.
Guess there goes that "buy the business" plan...

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Well... ANyway, at least THAT is now over. (the debates)

Interesting how Mccain keeps at Obama on town meetings.
Sure, Mccain would LOVE Obama to focus away from needed swing states,
and play town forum.

BYW, the ONLY reason Mccain went town meetings in the first place was he could not attract a crowd for his life, in the beginning.
Not till the Palin train wreck expo freak show.

Oh John... poor John...

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Blackjack200
Just out of boredom I googled "Joe the plumber" and the #1 sponsored link (pops up on top of the regular results) is titled "Joe the Plumber's tax cut" and takes you directly to The Barak Obama Campaign's tax calculator. That is simply phenomenal. McCain's campaign knew that McCain was going to bring up "Joe the Plumber" repeatedly and didn't get ahead of this. Not a major coup, but I still thing it's telling.
Maybe repugs are still thinking the interwebs are just a fad...

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: sportage
Joe the plumber just got a foreclosure notice this evening.
Guess there goes that "buy the business" plan...

Have no fear, President McCain will buy that foreclosure and Joe the Plumber can live in his house forever on our dime.

Save our houses John! Save our houses John! Save our houses John! Save our houses John!

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Originally posted by: dbk
Originally posted by: Syringer
The debate summed up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EASpPlcVbdI

Holy...McCain took a while to recover there.

McCain asked the same question during the second debate, and I was wondering why Obama never directly addressed it back then. Now I know why, he was saving it for the last debate. Quite ingenious really, and McCain reaction was downright hilarious.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
I was fun to watch the two morons talk as if their policies matter... wake up assholes there is congress house and lobbyists... if your plan does not favor the pharmaceutical and insurance companies and royally screw Joe, it has no chance of passing. Look at the American people in the eye and lie these guys have no soul.
Obama has almost won and he has accepted so much money from these corporations that we will be their puppet if not slave for the next 4 years