**Official** 3rd Presidential Debate Thread

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
Originally posted by: sportage
Joe the plumber just got a foreclosure notice this evening.
Guess there goes that "buy the business" plan...

Have no fear, President McCain will buy that foreclosure and Joe the Plumber can live in his house forever on our dime.

Save our houses John! Save our houses John! Save our houses John! Save our houses John!
My question is: What are you guys gonna do with all those empty houses?

People need to eat before they need their government to give handouts to corporations.

I guess it's hard to say no to a 1% interest rate on a mortgage.

How widespread are these foreclosures down there?

The Great Depression was caused in most part by too many people buying too much on credit.

You guys have an irresponsible domestic and foreign policy. It's almost unfathomable, and yet you re-elected Bush.

IMO Obama has a more responsible foreign policy.

Who has the more responsible domestic policy, and why?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by: andy04
I was fun to watch the two morons talk as if their policies matter... wake up assholes there is congress house and lobbyists... if your plan does not favor the pharmaceutical and insurance companies and royally screw Joe, it has no chance of passing. Look at the American people in the eye and lie these guys have no soul.
Obama has almost won and he has accepted so much money from these corporations that we will be their puppet if not slave for the next 4 years

Is that true? I heard that Obama got a lot of his campaign money from internet donations. Why would he be beholden to the pharmaceutical and insurance companies?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
McCain was far worse in round 3. This was a landslide for Obama. I wasn't nearly as sure who won the first two debates, but IMO this one's a no brainer. McCain kept tripping over his tongue... it was truly painful to behold.

Gaffe after gaffe, some of the worst being during his final statement. Did you pick up on these two? They were hard to miss:

There was this one:
We have to make healthcare avoidable... er affordable.

And the worst:
All of these things... and all of the promises and commitments that senator Obama and I made you to make, uh made to you tonight...

... and on it went, one stumble after another.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Why neither of them are trying to appeal to younger generations? All three debates were revolving about "American families", like mom & dad are only voters out there.

Especially McCain should have done so, he perhaps looks like old fossil in 21st century for anybody in their early 20s.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I decided to take a look at google trends to see what people found interesting enough to search for after the debate, and I see this:

20. lipness test

/facepalm

At least more people got it right than wrong since "litmus test" is at #2.

Calculator83

Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Do you guys notice McCain's hands shaking throughout the whole thing. I think they dosed him on some wake up drug,, as Some people said he seems way more lively than usual.

I also am a firm believer that age is an issue here.

But I'd like to contend that should McCain die, Sarah would likely step down and hand over the job to someone else, because Everyone including herself should know she can't do it.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Funny that CNN says obama won and drudge report says exactly the opposite, how predictable.

Anyway, obama did win. McCain wasn't creamed, but he was clearly the underdog the entire time and failed to make that hail mary pass. Obama was more collected and in command of reality. No magic bullet for mccain this time.

Unless something very unpredictable happens, mccain remains shutout of the whitehouse.

Capitalizt

Banned
Nov 28, 2004
Originally posted by: Calculator83
Do you guys notice McCain's hands shaking throughout the whole thing. I think they dosed him on some wake up drug,, as Some people said he seems way more lively than usual.

I just caught the replay. He seemed downright RABID at the very end as he stood up to shake Obama's hand. I couldn't believe how wired he looked. Fast forward to 1:29:50 here:

http://video.google.com/videop...&q=mccain+obama+debate

It's a bit blurry so its hard to see..but his eyes were wide open, his jaw was locked, and his whole body seemed to be shaking as he looked at Obama..

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Capitalizt
Mccain absolutely CRASHED on the Intrade Prediction Markets after the debate:

http://i37.tinypic.com/rbllcw.gif

It's over for the old man.

He's been dropping steadily for about two weeks. He's toast in that market. :)

McCain was awful, but Karl Rove had a very insightful column in the Wall Street Journal about Obama 'not closing the deal'. He didn't comment on last night's debate, but thought McCain was now doing the right things to win. One of the more accurate pollsters says this is a three point race, per Rove. I think the only reason the race is close is because of race. We are in deep trouble if McCain and Palin win.

-Robert

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: OrByte
I tired to give McCain his props for some well thought out responses.

But the way he sat there...are any of you guys Xmen comic readers?

Does the character "Mojo" mean anything to you guys?

McCain is like a cross between "Mojo" and that rich guy from the simpsons...the grumpy one.

Both McCain and Obama make sense for the most part...the problem is simply McCain doesn't look presidential next to Obama.

argue the superficiality of it all but imho I think that is why Obama runs away with these debates even though both candidates make good points more often than bad points.

my 02

When considering a President, I don't consider that superficial at all. If anything, it's a significant issue. The President should convey strength, integrity and a sense of the power they command; to come off as McCain did suggests, to me, that he would likely be the same or worse in diplomatic situations. Undermining the integrity of a nation due to your own inability to control your anger is a severe detriment to his character as a leader.

That's my opinion. People criticize Obama for his words, his eloquence and his lack of offense; I think that's precisely the leader we need, not someone that thinks they're omniscient and condescends everyone into submission.

That's how I feel as of tonight. I think McCain was best in the first debate, pointing out the core philosophical differences that actually matter. This was a bitter display of serious character flaws.

Thanks for putting the thoroughbred before Descartes. ;)

-Robert

Feb 16, 2005
I want to give credit to McCain, he came out very strong, but failed miserably after the first 30 minutes, the rolling of the eyes, grimacing during Obama's turn, interrupting him, poking jabs that failed to land, and laughing about them. He came across as bitter, defeated and unstable. When the topic of Ayers came up, McCain thought this was his chance, so he ran with it. Obama calmly laid out all the facts about Ayers, and suggested that the voters would much rather hear about actual issues affecting their everyday lives rather than hearing the candidates slinging mud back and forth.
When Obama came back with that it was over for McCain, any further mud slinging by him only sunk him deeper.

McCain last night after 30 mins into the debate = Unstable, irrational, angry
Obama last night = slow to start, but remained calm, spoke to the voters and tried to keep the actual topics in the forefront rather than continue the name calling.

Part of me was hoping like hell he'd bring up Keating, and part of me is disappointed that he didn't. But, as with the other 2 debates, he let McCain sink himself with his bitterness, anger, and fingerpointing.
Senator Obama is exactly who we need as a president. An educated, well spoken, calm person who will ask questions before shooting, unlike dumbya or McCain. Thank you Senator Obama, I sincerely hope to see you in January take the oath of office and bring our country back to the level of respect we had globally prior to the the past 8 years.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Sheik Yerbouti
Senator Obama is exactly who we need as a president. An educated, well spoken, calm person who will ask questions before shooting, unlike dumbya or McCain. Thank you Senator Obama, I sincerely hope to see you in January take the oath of office and bring our country back to the level of respect we had globally prior to the the past 8 years.

Amen brother.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Part of me was hoping like hell he'd bring up Keating, and part of me is disappointed that he didn't.
He obviously knew that it wasn't necessary and in fact probably would have been a mistake. It wouldn't have changed any opinions about McCain unless it would have cause McCain to go ballistic, a less the remote possibility. Anyway Obama showed leadership qualities by being above that kind of pettiness that McCain choked on.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Part of me was hoping like hell he'd bring up Keating, and part of me is disappointed that he didn't.
He obviously knew that it wasn't necessary and in fact probably would have been a mistake. It wouldn't have changed any opinions about McCain unless it would have cause McCain to go ballistic, a less the remote possibility. Anyway Obama showed leadership qualities by being above that kind of pettiness that McCain choked on.

Exactly, and I hope that is exactly how it came across to the undecided voters. Obama has shown humble leadership throughout this campaign, whether in the debates or during a financial crisis when McCain pulled the "I'm stopping my campaign" stunt.
In the end that's all it was, a stunt, and it failed along side the abysmal failure of a choice for VP.
Personally, I'd like to thank McCain and the rest his crew for picking Caribou Barbie as a running mate. I don't think he could have picked anyone else, short of a felon, who would have pushed more votes towards Senator Obama.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

Exactly, and I hope that is exactly how it came across to the undecided voters. Obama has shown humble leadership throughout this campaign, whether in the debates or during a financial crisis when McCain pulled the "I'm stopping my campaign" stunt.
In the end that's all it was, a stunt, and it failed along side the abysmal failure of a choice for VP.
Personally, I'd like to thank McCain and the rest his crew for picking Caribou Barbie as a running mate. I don't think he could have picked anyone else, short of a felon, who would have pushed more votes towards Senator Obama.
McCain did complain about Obama ads mentioning McCain's erratic behavior but when you look at the stunt's he's pulled, the gimmicks such as picking Palin as his running mate and his behavior last night it wasn't really an attack ad as it was truthful observation.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: SickBeast
-snip-
How widespread are these foreclosures down there?

The last firm figure I saw (from the 1st quarter of this year) was 1.033% nationwide. (I.e., not much)

But there are pockets where it is much, much higher. Still the national ave is far lower than one might expect from hearing the MSM reports.

Fern

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: feelingshorter
That was the best debate out of the 3.

McCain shouldn't of brought up Ayers. No one believes Obama is a terrorist. Does McCain think we are so stupid to believe Obama is some super villian? What Obama by day and Osama by night? Please. Ayers is a professor at a university that people have herd of. He was just a hippie back in the day thats all. But nooo. McCain had to touch the subject and wasted his whole time slot to talk about Ayers, and then Obama had to respond, wasting more time! Double time waster on a stupid topic!

The economy/education/energy/abortion/environment/vice pres/foreign policy discussion were all good. Ayers was such a waste of debate time. Could have used that time to talk about something else.

McCain isn't catering to college students who will vote in record numbers. We care more about issues than Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. With nov. 4 comming up, i think i know who i'm voting for now. That debate covered quite a bit of every topic/issue that affects us today. Although it does have its faults, its still good.

he didnt it was a moderator question that brought up Ayres.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: OrByte
I tired to give McCain his props for some well thought out responses.

But the way he sat there...are any of you guys Xmen comic readers?

Does the character "Mojo" mean anything to you guys?

McCain is like a cross between "Mojo" and that rich guy from the simpsons...the grumpy one.

Both McCain and Obama make sense for the most part...the problem is simply McCain doesn't look presidential next to Obama.

argue the superficiality of it all but imho I think that is why Obama runs away with these debates even though both candidates make good points more often than bad points.

my 02

When considering a President, I don't consider that superficial at all. If anything, it's a significant issue. The President should convey strength, integrity and a sense of the power they command; to come off as McCain did suggests, to me, that he would likely be the same or worse in diplomatic situations. Undermining the integrity of a nation due to your own inability to control your anger is a severe detriment to his character as a leader.

That's my opinion. People criticize Obama for his words, his eloquence and his lack of offense; I think that's precisely the leader we need, not someone that thinks they're omniscient and condescends everyone into submission.

That's how I feel as of tonight. I think McCain was best in the first debate, pointing out the core philosophical differences that actually matter. This was a bitter display of serious character flaws.

i want a real leader not somebody who "looks" like one.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
Originally posted by: feelingshorter
That was the best debate out of the 3.

McCain shouldn't of brought up Ayers. No one believes Obama is a terrorist. Does McCain think we are so stupid to believe Obama is some super villian? What Obama by day and Osama by night? Please. Ayers is a professor at a university that people have herd of. He was just a hippie back in the day thats all. But nooo. McCain had to touch the subject and wasted his whole time slot to talk about Ayers, and then Obama had to respond, wasting more time! Double time waster on a stupid topic!

The economy/education/energy/abortion/environment/vice pres/foreign policy discussion were all good. Ayers was such a waste of debate time. Could have used that time to talk about something else.

McCain isn't catering to college students who will vote in record numbers. We care more about issues than Fear Uncertainty and Doubt. With nov. 4 comming up, i think i know who i'm voting for now. That debate covered quite a bit of every topic/issue that affects us today. Although it does have its faults, its still good.

he didnt it was a moderator question that brought up Ayres.

And like Obama, McCain could have said it wasn't an issue the voters are most concerned about and he wanted to discuss domestic issues and the economy, McCain chose not to.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Ballatician
Here's a question: What was McCain talking about when he starting defending the war vets and mothers that attend his rallies? I was very confused.

Obama had criticized (in a very civil way) McCain and Palin's failure to rein in the nutjobs that yell "kill him" "terrorist" "off with his head" at last weeks GOP rallies, unlike what Obama does when people start booing McCain at his. In a classic political ploy, McCain deliberately misinterpreted this as an attack on ALL of his audience, including the guys with vet hats, etc. Talk about inciting class warfare. IMO this response fell totally flat and just made McCain look peevish (again).

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: musicman64
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Originally posted by: Baked
Is McSame retarded? Let military personnel go straight into teaching roles w/o taking certification tests? Seriously?!

I know. That is horrible.

Wow! With what degree? Just amazing..
I thought I heard that but frankly was too scared to hit reverse and confirm it. Holy jumping fvcking catfish.

Feb 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Originally posted by: musicman64
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Originally posted by: Baked
Is McSame retarded? Let military personnel go straight into teaching roles w/o taking certification tests? Seriously?!

I know. That is horrible.

Wow! With what degree? Just amazing..
I thought I heard that but frankly was too scared to hit reverse and confirm it. Holy jumping fvcking catfish.

Pfffft, you and your ilk probably think doctors need medical degrees, and lawyers need to pass a bar exam. CLEARLY, you just need to be able to fire a gun, serve some time in the military and *poof* you're a teacher!

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
Originally posted by: andy04
I was fun to watch the two morons talk as if their policies matter... wake up assholes there is congress house and lobbyists... if your plan does not favor the pharmaceutical and insurance companies and royally screw Joe, it has no chance of passing. Look at the American people in the eye and lie these guys have no soul.
Obama has almost won and he has accepted so much money from these corporations that we will be their puppet if not slave for the next 4 years

Slave huh?