Discussion ***Official*** 2020 Stock Market Thread

Page 59 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I would not touch the stocks of Airlines (Buffet sold all of his shares and lost a bundle) and Cruise Ships. Not for a while, long while.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I would not touch the stocks of Airlines (Buffet sold all of his shares and lost a bundle) and Cruise Ships. Not for a while, long while.

Right now is the time to buy cruise lines. I have some CCL. Slowly accumulate at these levels and average in.

I think we are in the middle of the storm and CCL already plans limited runs later this year.

But there are still many challenges ahead from a Congressional investigation of cruise lines to class action lawsuits, getting staff to work the ships and most of all - a return of the virus.

So nothing is guaranteed, but I think one or two years from now they will retake all time highs like CCL $50.

Nov 8, 2012
Right now is the time to buy cruise lines. I have some CCL. Slowly accumulate at these levels and average in.

I think we are in the middle of the storm and CCL already plans limited runs later this year.

But there are still many challenges ahead from a Congressional investigation of cruise lines to class action lawsuits, getting staff to work the ships and most of all - a return of the virus.

So nothing is guaranteed, but I think one or two years from now they will retake all time highs like CCL $50.

Yeah I think airlines and cruises are 2 different animals.

1 is purely for enjoyment (well, for some *CERTAIN* types of people lol) and the other is for a wide mix - but mostly consists of business folks.

I think cruises will recover.... unless boomers die off and then the new generation of old people don't want to go on them.

Airlines I'm not 100% sure of yet if it will get up to the level it previously was. I just think businesses in general are going to be more open to remote work instead of the "You always have to be here" shit.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
i had a buy order for sqqq @ 11.35 but changed it to 11 figuring QQQ could go up 1% more.
it went down to 11.34 (52 week low) but is now 11.75.

kicking myself right now over 1%!!
uuggg.. greed is causing me stress for NOT buying. :(

i expect the market to drop this Thurs when weekly unemployment #s are released.
hopefully i can get sqqq tomorrow (weds) at 11.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Did my first actual trades today. Only investing I've done so far in life is through retirement vehicles. Did some intraday trading on NHCL at very low stock quantities to get my feet wet with live trading (I've done some weeks of paper trading since lockdown). Snagged myself $3.45 testing the waters (pun intended). I call that success!

Just had to "break the ice" and get comfortable with the idea. Back to paper trading until I'm tempted again.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Welcome to the club.

I still remember my very first trade. I scoped the market for a few weeks and finally dove in on a stock that had dropped from like $130 to $80 in one day. I researched it all night and the consensus was that it was oversold and would bounce back. lol - I researched that one buy more than I research an entire month's worth these days.

I brought 10 shares at open the next morning and it immediately tanked to around $70. I was like "great job, dumbass. You just lit a $100 bill on fire". But it started climbing over the course of the day and ended up at $90.

So I stayed up AGAIN all night trying to decide what to do. Eventually I decided to sell it at open. I think it ended up being at $88 so I made a little money.

I did learn a very important lesson early: NEVER make transactions right at open unless there are very special circumstances involved. Always let the market shake itself out.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Did my first actual trades today. Only investing I've done so far in life is through retirement vehicles. Did some intraday trading on NHCL at very low stock quantities to get my feet wet with live trading (I've done some weeks of paper trading since lockdown). Snagged myself $3.45 testing the waters (pun intended). I call that success!

Just had to "break the ice" and get comfortable with the idea. Back to paper trading until I'm tempted again.
Congrats! Win is a win no matter how small. But paper trading is nothing like real trading. Especially when large real $ are involved.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003

IMO, people need to fly (necessity) more than cruise (luxury, nice to have). Norwegian Cruise Line is saying it could file bankruptcy -

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Congrats! Win is a win no matter how small. But paper trading is nothing like real trading. Especially when large real $ are involved.
Oh yeah for sure. I was nervous just clicking the order action when it was real money even though it was pennies at the end of the day. But, gettin the feet wet is the first part. I look forward to the next couple years to really learn the ins and outs. I plan on paper trading for another ~2mos for now for primary activity.

Nov 8, 2012
Activision beat earnings 100%. Can't say I'm surprised. Of course I give myself the whole "I wish I had bought more" message.

People sitting at home, why not waste $50 on booze and videogames?

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Oh yeah for sure. I was nervous just clicking the order action when it was real money even though it was pennies at the end of the day. But, gettin the feet wet is the first part. I look forward to the next couple years to really learn the ins and outs. I plan on paper trading for another ~2mos for now for primary activity.

If you're anything like most of us your life is about to change forever.

Part of you will always be with your personal investments, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It's like the Hotel California: You can say goodbye but you can never leave.

Wait till you score your first $1000 trade. See how you feel then.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
IMO, people need to fly (necessity) more than cruise (luxury, nice to have). Norwegian Cruise Line is saying it could file bankruptcy -

I mentioned Carnival, not Norwegian. But as far as NCL is concerned they issued the going concern statement as a standard precaution. When your company is impaired to the point it is no longer operating then you should warn shareholders that your ability to stay in business is in doubt unless you can start sailing ships again.

A lot of companies should be issuing going concern statements such as most oil and gas companies. If you believe cruise lines will all go out of business, then please DO NOT buy any shares. You are right to be skeptical.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
If you're anything like most of us your life is about to change forever.

Wait till you score your first $1000 trade. See how you feel then.
Wait till you make $75k profit in 2 days -> Excess Partying :sunglasses:
Wait till you lose $75k 2 days later because you didnt sell -> slices wrist :eek: :(

wait till you make 6 figures in a couple of weeks and sold! -> Excess partying
wait till you lose 6 figures a couple of weeks later because you didnt stop gambling on the stock market -> jump off bridge

wait till you dont learn your lesson and keep gambling -> Me now... come on SQQQ!
Baby needs a new pair of shoes

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I feel like I should be investing in stuff right now but I have no money at all to invest, so think I'll just ride this out with the stocks I already do have. I don't really know what I'm doing in general with any of this so I pretty much just buy stocks I can afford and hope they'll go up in the future. Mines etc. I need to buy in groups of 100 so can't afford the big name stocks like Tesla. If I had that kind of money I would be paying off the house or something instead.

Our corporate stock is down right now though, so at least I know I can benifit from that once it goes up via my ESPP as I'm buying more units right now at a lower rate. I have around 30k in there right now that I've accumulated for quite a few years. I'm "losing" right now so that number will go up once all this is over. I'm saving up to buy off grid property so will probably use that money.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
[QUOTE="JEDI, post: 40153738, member: 70293"

i expect the market to drop this Thurs when weekly unemployment #s are released.
hopefully i can get sqqq tomorrow (weds) at 11.
[/QUOTE]

Thats what thought the last 4 weeks and it appears the market is unphased by 4 million new jobless claims a week.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

I am accumulating CCL too as I believe they are in the best shape to survive as they were the first to do a capital raise and cut their dividend. I don't expect $50 anytime soon though, as they did have a share dilution and now have a lot more debt. I am only buying cruise lines when cheap because it will take a while for any of them to be 5-baggers.

Reactions: FelixDeCat

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Would you average down GE?

My shares are at a cost basis of $12 right now. That doesn't seem achievable for quite a while. If I buy an equal amount at the current price of $6 that brings my basis down to $9 and would allow me to sell some reasonable calls even if they're pretty far out.

But on the other hand I have to expose more $ to GE that way. I'm torn on what to do. Buying more shares of GE wouldn't put me in margin.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Thats what thought the last 4 weeks and it appears the market is unphased by 4 million new jobless claims a week.
well, since sqqq hasnt hit my 11 price yet, i hope the market goes up tomorrow.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Would you average down GE?

My shares are at a cost basis of $12 right now. That doesn't seem achievable for quite a while. If I buy an equal amount at the current price of $6 that brings my basis down to $9 and would allow me to sell some reasonable calls even if they're pretty far out.

But on the other hand I have to expose more $ to GE that way. I'm torn on what to do. Buying more shares of GE wouldn't put me in margin.
what i do is set a 10% loss limit.
if i get stopped out, buy back when it drops another 10%.
rinse/repeat.
downside: it might never go down another 10% and you wont recover any losses.

thats the boat im in with sqqq

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
what i do is set a 10% loss limit.
if i get stopped out, buy back when it drops another 10%.
rinse/repeat.
downside: it might never go down another 10% and you wont recover any losses.

thats the boat im in with sqqq

My issue is that GE at $12 is dead money. There's no market for GE options at $12. It'll just be sitting there indefinitely hoping for the market rebound over the next few years.

GE @ $9 has more possibilities.

Nov 8, 2012
My issue is that GE at $12 is dead money. There's no market for GE options at $12. It'll just be sitting there indefinitely hoping for the market rebound over the next few years.

GE @ $9 has more possibilities.

Buying GE IMO is practically the equivalent of investing in JC Penneys, Toys R' Us, or Sears.... It just...reminds me of those for some reason.

They've gone through tons of massive restructure attempts... yet they keep repeating the same problems over and over.