***Official*** 2019 Stock Market Thread

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I was thinking about getting back into STNE this week but decided against it.

whew - dodged a bullet. Down almost 25% today (much of it pre-market). God if I had sold 33 or 34 calls would I have taken a bath.

"Stocks can fall far, and they can fall fast". Ain't that the truth.

DietDrThunder

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2001
I was thinking about getting back into STNE this week but decided against it.

whew - dodged a bullet. Down almost 25% today (much of it pre-market). God if I had sold 33 or 34 calls would I have taken a bath.

"Stocks can fall far, and they can fall fast". Ain't that the truth.
You scare me.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I meant puts. My bad.

It was around 36 earlier this week and my plan was to sell puts in the low 30's (they were quite high). It would have been fine - until today, of course.

Holy crap - it's down more. Over 27%.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Most people who trade options usually wind up net negative over time.

Just buy and hold and be done with it.

Nov 8, 2012
Lisa already stated on her last CC that Q1 will be soft and will pick up in the 2nd half of 2019. They *could* beat estimates and give updated guidance...

Besides the partnership with Google, Amazon already offering additional instance with using Epyc as well.

Just wait for Computex (end of May) where they'll announce Zen2 CPU and Navi GPU.

Sony already confirmed custom CPU and GPU from AMD for their new PS5. I believe Microsoft will show their cards during E3.

Exciting 2nd Half and beyond for AMD

Ugh - to be honest with both CMG and AMD I was hoping to sell all my assets and do a "Sell in May and go away".... The rest of this year honestly scares me.

Hoping for Good Q1 earnings at the end of April so I can just get out for a while.

Nov 8, 2012
hah!

BTW many of our vendors have recently switched to Zoom and I f'ng hate it. Complete buggy crap.

What exactly is Zoom anyways?

Competition with Skype/WebEx?

Or Slack or what?

I find it funny that such a... developed market i still open to new competition.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Oh man, current fed rate odds are favoring at least one cut by the end of the year and the way things are going perhaps more. Won't happen at the next meeting though.

Talk about a reversal just to keep the stock market propped up.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
holy wtf heathcare funds?!
Huge drop last week (10%+) when the general market went up. :eek:

i sold in dec 2018 to offset loses and im glad i didn't buy back in

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
Which speaking of that - anyone here ever gotten adventurous in life enough to do something like sell your 401k assets thinking there will be a correction?

I didn't sell but I did do some fund moving in 08-09. Moved everything from normal stuff to bonds then to real estate then somewhere else can't really remember, made 40% in less than six months. Downside was that I had less than $3k in my 401k at the time as I had just started to contribute to it the week before the crash started so it was basically just play money at the time. Now there is no way in hell I would be that careless.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I didn't sell but I did do some fund moving in 08-09. Moved everything from normal stuff to bonds then to real estate then somewhere else can't really remember, made 40% in less than six months. Downside was that I had less than $3k in my 401k at the time as I had just started to contribute to it the week before the crash started so it was basically just play money at the time. Now there is no way in hell I would be that careless.
I switched $100k from stock funds to bonds a year after trump took office in thinking he's going to crash the market.
2years later, stock fund is +9% over the bond fund. :(
so I need the stock market to drop 18% before I switch... sigh

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
I switched $100k from stock funds to bonds a year after trump took office in thinking he's going to crash the market.
2years later, stock fund is +9% over the bond fund. :(
so I need the stock market to drop 18% before I switch... sigh

Thats ok, we switched providers for our 401k last year and during the switch our funds were in limbo for the month of Jan. The stock market gained something ridiculous during that month and the day after our funds were active we had that big drop ion Feb. Most people were fine because the drop only corrected the gain, but I didn't get the gain... I think I lost about 15% due to that BS.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
BILI is sitting good at around 17.60.

The price took a hit when they offered up 10 million new shares but I think anything under 18 is good for that stock. I sold some 17.50 puts.

Nov 8, 2012
Thats ok, we switched providers for our 401k last year and during the switch our funds were in limbo for the month of Jan. The stock market gained something ridiculous during that month and the day after our funds were active we had that big drop ion Feb. Most people were fine because the drop only corrected the gain, but I didn't get the gain... I think I lost about 15% due to that BS.

I had that as well - but had the opposite. Rolled over my 401k after starting a new employer - but it was right before a major downtown. I want to say it was when oil had it's major downturn.

Lucky coincidence I guess.

Nov 8, 2012
Good, because I plan to sell by Thursday... CMG will (and by will I mean I have no farking clue) spike on their earnings tomorrow after close and I will immediately sell...

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I got a little anxious today. I feel like I'm too exposed to Chinese tech stocks.

I just need things to hold my way for 2 1/2 weeks and then I'm cutting my exposure by 50%.

Reactions: gypsyman