***Official*** 2019 Stock Market Thread

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Ok, game plan for next week? I still have my small biotech position and nothing else. The market is a total crap shoot right now.

It could go up or it could go down. The bias is up, but you cant trust a market that does consolidate - amiright? :D

Nov 8, 2012
Any of you have a game plan for 2020?

Most economists are basically saying it's going to be a mediocre year. Very few think there will be a recession - but minimally nothing like the gains we have seen this year (~25% IIRC).

I'm thinking of toning down my investments a bit, basically taking the foot off the pedal SLIGHTLY from retirement and putting some more into paying off the mortgage since that's a guaranteed rate of return.

I don't know wtf I would invest in from a single-stock point of view at this point either... Yeesh...

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
This might sound like a joke but it's really not: I'm thinking about buying 2000 more shares of SRNE since it pulled back.

Calls look fine.

1/17 4 at .25
3/20 4 is at .60

If I sell 40 of those 3/20 4's thats $2400 in the bank for starters.

I'm also eying 6/19 5's at .50. Have to see how it looks tomorrow morning.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Ok, game plan for next week? I still have my small biotech position and nothing else. The market is a total crap shoot right now.

It could go up or it could go down. The bias is up, but you cant trust a market that does consolidate - amiright? :D
Thinking about buying some more Tesla Jan 17 calls. Everyone is looking at that $420 number for Tesla for obvious reason.

Most economists are basically saying it's going to be a mediocre year. Very few think there will be a recession - but minimally nothing like the gains we have seen this year (~25% IIRC).

I'm thinking of toning down my investments a bit, basically taking the foot off the pedal SLIGHTLY from retirement and putting some more into paying off the mortgage since that's a guaranteed rate of return.

I don't know wtf I would invest in from a single-stock point of view at this point either... Yeesh...
I'm thinking about selling my gold and silver bullion and using the money to buy more Tesla shares. As long as we don't end up in recession, I think Tesla is going to have breakout year in 2020.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

The election will obviously be an issue eventually but I think the biggest issue is how long it''ll be before the Street demands more cuts and what the Fed does when that happens.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
So you buy calls? I've never bought options. How does that work out for you?
Generally I don't buy much calls. I like to sell covered calls and sell naked puts to collect the premium. But I'm not selling covered calls at the moment with Tesla because of the strong upward pressure. I don't want to risk getting my stock called away.

Currently I own $350 Jan 17, 2020 calls. I bought 3 for $15.10 right after the stock dropped after the Cybertruck unveil. It's around $59.60 now. I also own $300 and $420 Jan 15, 2021 calls. I bought these right before the Q3 earnings and paid $39.50 for the $300 and $11.76 for the $420. Jan 2021 $300 is currently $135.13 and Jan 2021 $420 is currently $67.38. I had two of the $420 and sold one so both the $300 and $420 are now free. To be honest, I bought the $420 more as a joke because I thought it would be funny if it hit. I still have more than a year left on the $300 and the $420 so I'm not in a hurry to do anything with it. I thought about rolling the $300 call to higher strike but I'm still debating what to do.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
You've inspired me.

I might buy one AAPL 12/27 $280 call if what I research turns up right. Just to see what happens.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999

Even mediocre stock returns like 5%, will beat savings, treasuries and most CDs. Add in dividends and there still is no other alternative to stocks. Will most likely hold what I have, put some more in and put more into the mortgage too.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Been buying and selling 100 shares of TSLA all morning and battling the AI computers. I'm going to take a break from the action but I have limit sell order for 100 shares of TSLA at $420.69. :D I bought and kept extra 100 shares this morning just so I can sell at that exact price. Hopefully it will hit today.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
Even mediocre stock returns like 5%, will beat savings, treasuries and most CDs. Add in dividends and there still is no other alternative to stocks. Will most likely hold what I have, put some more in and put more into the mortgage too.
A crash with negative returns doesn't beat CDs. Unless you can hold long enough to wait out the recovery.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
420-jpg.491907

Still waiting for $420.69. Because S3XY.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
:p Got my $420.69. Now I'm truly done for the day. I'm going to enjoy rest of the day and year.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Most of this gain is probably short covering as the shorts are losing their shirts. Shorts think they are so-called smart money, so it is funny to see them learn a lesson. Never short valuation, only short a business who's business model is going extinct.
Couldn't have happened to more deserving group of people. I hope they lose their shirt, their home, and everything they have. Normally, I'm not so against shorts or even mind them. But TSLAQ shorts are the most despicable group of people I've run across in my years of investing. They claim Elon and Tesla are fraud when it's actually TSLAQ that is fraud. Some of the TSLAQ crowd should be in jail.

But I don't think this Tesla rally is just about short covering. They're helping but I think light bulbs are turning on at some of the large institutional investors. Sediment is shifting. People are waking up and slowly realizing how wrong they're with Tesla. And Tesla is grossly undervalued. Still the most undervalued Nasdaq stock. Soon, it will be the most undervalued S&P 500 stock once it joins the index in 2020.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
Couldn't have happened to more deserving group of people. I hope they lose their shirt, their home, and everything they have. Normally, I'm not so against shorts or even mind them. But TSLAQ shorts are the most despicable group of people I've run across in my years of investing. They claim Elon and Tesla are fraud when it's actually TSLAQ that is fraud. Some of the TSLAQ crowd should be in jail.

But I don't think this Tesla rally is just about short covering. They're helping but I think light bulbs are turning on at some of the large institutional investors. Sediment is shifting. People are waking up and slowly realizing how wrong they're with Tesla. And Tesla is grossly undervalued. Still the most undervalued Nasdaq stock. Soon, it will be the most undervalued S&P 500 stock once it joins the index in 2020.

you might be right

but it sure sounds like you've drunk the kool-aid, lol

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Ok I gave in and bought 100 SAGE at $76. Killing me that it keeps going up w/o me.

That could well end up being a good buy.

I bought 2000 more SNRE and sold the March 5 calls for around $1500. It's still down but my adjusted cost basis is like $2.80 so I'm fine for now.

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I created the 2020 thread here: