Official 2018 Formula 1 Discussion / Fantasy League

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Didn't see this posted yet and was not able to get around to it myself till now. But if anyone wants to join the fantasy league again ( https://fantasygp.com/leagues/ ) here is the code: 8495787 (Team AnandtechMotivationalBumperStickers)

This thread should also be for just chatting with fellow fans our take on how the new season progresses :)

Love the halo or hate it, 2018 is here. The first race is showing that it is actually much closer then people feared in testing.

>>>>SPOILERS BELOW<<<<

Red bull are solid contenders, and though Ferrari looked like they took a step back in testing, they were more than capable in the first race as they took 1 and 3.

Vettel took the first victory as Lewis and Kimi were both very clearly robbed due to pure coincidence of the Virtual Safety car.
I think Vettel has numerous times shown himself to be the luckiest driver I have ever witnessed in the sport. (certainly he is very talented as well, but his incredible luck on so many occasions over the years!)

Alonso was another of the ones to benefit from the timely VSC.

Mclaren seem like they will be able to vindicate their choice to dump Honda despite testing making them look like fools. Where as Torro Rosso were extremely impressive in testing with the 3rd most laps covered of any team and Mclaren running the least number of laps and more breakdowns. On race day Mclaren/Renault came in 5th and Torro Rosso/Honda came in plum last.

Haas seemed to be the dark horses that were on their way to deserving and amazing 4th and 5th, only to have 2 pit stop errors IN A ROW take both of their drivers out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ao_ika_red

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Gutted when both Haas dropped out due to semi-technical issue.
The pressure of being the best of the rest seemed creeping into everyone there.
For race overall, as most people said that Melbourne always throws unusual result.

Reactions: KingstonU

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Toro Rosso's job this year only has one goal, do everything they can packaging wise to figure out what Honda needs to get the engine reliable. If they can keep them from blowing up Red Bull can pick them up next year, mirror the packaging, and get Honda into their much better funded garage for testing. 2019 would be a down year for RB, but in theory Honda should be able to aggressively hunt for power in 2020. Not that it will work that way, but I am sure that is the plan.

Also you have to remember that both drivers are really unknown drivers. It could turn out neither are made for Formula 1. It would have been nice if Kvyat didn't completely melt down so they could have an established driver to compare numbers with.

Also gutted with Haas's failures. I was really looking forward to see how they would have performed during the second stint and would love to see a 2 Top 10 finish for them.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Going to sit the league out this year, unless we suddenly get an influx of people - 3 in the league made it semi-pointless last time around. Plus, I couldn't put in the commitment and was disappointed by myself :D

Also, now that I work with Daimler, I guess I'm required to be biased :D

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Going to sit the league out this year,.... 3 in the league made it semi-pointless last time around.

We were 4 last time around! But yeah the league is just a supplement I enjoy but I also enjoy just having discussion such ad here as there are few fans here in North America

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Oh man Merc are looking to be behind Ferrari here!
And McLaren were firmly out qualified by BOTH Honda Toro Rossos (AND they are both rookie drivers!!!). This is the worst conceivable scenario for them as they have no more excuses or anyone else to blame!
And Williams! Their car is 0.5sec SLOWER THAN THEIR 2017 CAR!!! I'm wondering if Paddy Lowe has being over rated all these years.
Plus Max and Lewis down the grid. Should be a very exciting race tomorrow.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Oh man Merc are looking to be behind Ferrari here!
And McLaren were firmly out qualified by BOTH Honda Toro Rossos (AND they are both rookie drivers!!!). This is the worst conceivable scenario for them as they have no more excuses or anyone else to blame!
And Williams! Their car is 0.5sec SLOWER THAN THEIR 2017 CAR!!! I'm wondering if Paddy Lowe has being over rated all these years.
Plus Max and Lewis down the grid. Should be a very exciting race tomorrow.
* Boullier and Brown need some excuse to do.
* Max' weird jinx is still there.
* Grosjean, Max, and Hamilton will make the race fun, but don't forget Torpedo Ric just behind Ferrari.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
An hour before the green light.
Here's Saturday Paddock Recap from Crash.net.
Recapping all the additional stories and nuggets of news on a busy day in Bahrain, Crash.net F1 Editor Luke Smith brings you his Paddock Notebook.

- Sebastian Vettel picked up the 51st pole position of his Formula 1 career in Bahrain on Saturday, meaning he is now 14 behind Ayrton Senna for third in the all-time record list.

- Teammate Kimi Raikkonen may have finished on the podium in Bahrain on eight occasions, yet tomorrow will be the first time he has started the race from the front row of the grid. Raikkonen’s previous best qualifying in Bahrain was third in 2007.

- Vettel’s day was not without some concern, though, as he took a new control electronics on his power unit ahead of qualifying. The change means he is already onto his second of two elements for the 2018 season.

- After qualifying fourth, Lewis Hamilton will start Sunday’s race from P9, matching his lowest grid spot in Bahrain from 2013. Hamilton recovered to fifth place at the chequered flag on that day.

- The beneficiaries of Hamilton’s penalty are Daniel Ricciardo, Pierre Gasly, Kevin Magnussen, Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Ocon, all of whom gain one position.

- By starting fifth, Gasly not only will enjoy his best grid position in F1 so far, but it also marks Toro Rosso’s highest start since the 2016 Australian Grand Prix.

- Teammate Brendon Hartley also managed his best qualifying result so far in F1, taking P11 despite damaging his front wing on his first Q1 lap after hitting a bird: “I didn’t see the bird - I doubt he’s still alive…” Hartley received an updated aero package on his Toro Rosso car today, having seen Gasly get first usage on Friday.

- Haas had a mixed qualifying result as Kevin Magnussen finished one second clear of Romain Grosjean in Q1. Magnussen went on to qualify seventh, while Grosjean was knocked out in Q1 despite setting an identical time to Fernando Alonso in P15, albeit later in the session. “It could only happen to us!” Grosjean joked. It was also team principal Günther Steiner’s birthday on Saturday.

- Max Verstappen put his surprise spin and crash during Q1 down to an unexpected spike in the hybrid power, causing significant wheel spin at the exit of Turn 3.

- Both Sauber and Williams finished more than half a second adrift of the field in Q1, filling out the bottom four positions. Charles Leclerc was left fuming after spinning at the final corner on his last Q3 lap, saying over team radio: “I am so stupid. My bad.” Williams' result was its worst in qualifying since the 2011 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

- The technical bosses from the F1 teams met with the FIA on Saturday morning to discuss any possible ways to improve overtaking this season following concerns in Australia, but the meeting failed to yield any changes. “Anything short-term is really tough,” Force India’s Andrew Green said. “I think they are trying to do it by increasing the DRS zones, but I think that’s probably the limit really.”

- Tomorrow’s race is expected to offer a mix of one- and two-stop strategies, with the Supersoft and Soft tyres the main compounds that will be used. Lewis Hamilton will start on Softs, while the rest of the top 10 are confirmed to start on Supersofts. P11 downwards has free choice.

- Only two of the last six races in Bahrain have been won from pole position. However, the race has never been won by a driver starting outside of the top four since joining the calendar in 2004.

- Ex-F1 CEO and current chairman emeritus Bernie Ecclestone made his first appearance of the year in the paddock on Saturday, arriving just ahead of FP3. Ecclestone was told he would have his usual office in the main pit building, only to be given a different office in the large circuit tower outside of the paddock.

- Fans at the Bahrain International Circuit enjoyed concerts from Benjamin Booker and electronic artist Disclosure on Saturday night in Sakhir.

- The annual F1 media karting event at the Bahrain International Karting Circuit, which hosted the 2016 FIA world championships, saw ESPN’s Laurence Edmondson take a double victory, albeit in controversial fashion after contact with Motorsport-Magazin’s Christian Menath in the opening race. Crash.net F1 Editor Luke Smith recorded finishes of P7 and P8 on debut.

And of course, ICYMI, The Starting Grid.
Formula 1 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix - Starting Grid

1. Sebastian Vettel GER Scuderia Ferrari
2. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Scuderia Ferrari
3. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport
4. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
5. Pierre Gasly FRA Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda
6. Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas F1 Team
7. Nico Hulkenberg GER Renault Sport Formula One Team
8. Esteban Ocon FRA Sahara Force India F1 Team
9. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes AMG Petronas Motorsport*
10. Carlos Sainz Jr. ESP Renault Sport Formula One Team
11. Brendon Hartley NZL Red Bull Toro Rosso Honda
12. Sergio Perez MEX Sahara Force India F1 Team
13. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren F1 Team
14. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren F1 Team
15. Max Verstappen NED Aston Martin Red Bull Racing
16. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas F1 Team
17. Marcus Ericsson SWE Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team
18. Sergey Sirotkin RUS Williams Martini Racing
19. Charles Leclerc MON Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team
20. Lance Stroll CAN Williams Martini Racing
* Five-place grid penalty following a gearbox change

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
I envy American audiences. Good for you, guys.
American broadcaster ESPN has confirmed that its Formula 1 qualifying and race broadcasts will now be commercial-free in 2018.
Following an Australian Grand Prix debut that resulted in a chorus of abuse from fans about the quality of its telecasts, which featured multiple advertising breaks, ESPN has responded to the criticism and ran commercial-free in Bahrain at the weekend.

It has since pledged to continue this for the rest of the season.

“We intend to present the F1 races in this way for the balance of the 2018 season,” said Burke Magnus, ESPN executive vice president, programming & scheduling. “F1 fans are passionate and we listened to a lot of feedback from them – the fans are very informed and the feedback we received was both polite and constructive. It helped us.

“We don't have a completely finished product but we're very happy with the way the changes after Australia were received. We'll continue to keep working to make it better for the fans.”

ESPN is running the UK’s Sky Sports F1 coverage, including its ‘On The Grid’ build-up show on race day, but its telecasts have carried very little in the way of pre- or post-event coverage besides the on-track action.

It claimed Sunday’s Bahrain GP race coverage on ESPN2 averaged 682,914 viewers, the largest U.S. cable audience for an F1 race since the 2012 United States Grand Prix on SPEED Channel.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Welp, another race decided by the safety car. At least Ricciardo actually had to work for his gains, and the comparison to Verstappen showed that it wasn't as easy, as he made it look. Shame about Vettel's race being scuppered - the strategy didn't work out, then he gets eaten by a wild Red Bull, and to add insult to injury, finishes behind Alonso...

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Welp, another race decided by the safety car. At least Ricciardo actually had to work for his gains, and the comparison to Verstappen showed that it wasn't as easy, as he made it look. Shame about Vettel's race being scuppered - the strategy didn't work out, then he gets eaten by a wild Red Bull, and to add insult to injury, finishes behind Alonso...
I don't get the frustration. I am as disappointed as any about Vettel being screwed over by the safety car and Verstappen. But safety cars affecting the race, even deciding it are what most Motorsports have to deal with. Example being Alexander Rossi's Rookie Indy win.

Something about that hairpin seems to trick passing cars into thinking there is a gap much bigger than there really is, lead to 3 incidents and a lot of close calls.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I don't get the frustration. I am as disappointed as any about Vettel being screwed over by the safety car and Verstappen. But safety cars affecting the race, even deciding it are what most Motorsports have to deal with. Example being Alexander Rossi's Rookie Indy win.

Something about that hairpin seems to trick passing cars into thinking there is a gap much bigger than there really is, lead to 3 incidents and a lot of close calls.

My only frustration is, that this makes it two out of three this season - I'd rather see more weather influenced races, than safety cars just around the pit window.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I don't care who wins as long as it's not Mercedes again lol.
Having Red Bull in the fight is fantastic.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I don't care who wins as long as it's not Mercedes again lol.
Having Red Bull in the fight is fantastic.
It would be interesting to see that. I personally am cheering for Vettel. I think RB might be too far beyond. So far it looks like Ferrari and Merc are going to trade blows but under normal conditions RB is a little too far back to really fight it out.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
^Yeah I think it will be track dependent, but I thought China was a power circuit so would have favoured Merc...didn't turn out to be the case.
I'm a huge Raikonnen fan but he's already kinda down in terms of a championship unfortunately. I'm not a huge Vettel fan but would rather see him win than Hamilton at this point. Valterri challenging would be amazing as well.

Reactions: ao_ika_red

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
It's warming up time for Azerbaijan "Europe" GP.
Here's some Thursday Notebook roundup from crash.net.
- Following his stunning victory in China two weeks ago and free agent status beyond 2018, Daniel Ricciardo’s future was a big talking point through Thursday’s media day in Baku. The Australia stressed he had only spoken with Red Bull about 2019 and, contrary to some reports, had signed no pre-contract agreement with Ferrari.

- Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel once again said he wouldn’t mind if Ricciardo were to be his teammate again following their year together at Red Bull in 2014, while Lewis Hamilton hailed Ricciardo’s consistency compared to that of his teammate, Max Verstappen.

- On Hamilton’s own contract, he said that while he is “fully committed to Mercedes”, he’s still not rushing into things, having spent the break between China and Baku on holiday and at Coachella.

- Hamilton also paid tribute to outgoing Arsenal football manager Arsene Wenger, revealing he was invited to go and train with the Premier League side he has supported since he was a boy: “For anyone to have commitment to a team and the loyalty he’s shown, through all the ups and downs, through outside individuals saying negatives, positives, media saying positives, negatives, but to stay true to your values and continue to strive to what you believe in, I think he’s really been awesome.”

- Inkeeping with the somewhat unexpected football and F1 crossover in Baku, Fernando Alonso also fielded a question about Barcelona player Andres Iniesta’s soon-to-be-announced move to China. “He’s the best player we had in Spain in history probably. He will be missed in La Liga,” Alonso said.

- This weekend’s grand prix marks the start of a hectic period for Alonso, who will make his FIA World Endurance Championship debut with Toyota next weekend. Alonso will have only one rest weekend in the next 11 weeks - between Spain and Monaco - as he gears up for his bid to add to his ‘triple crown’ tally in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

- Back on the F1 side of things, Pierre Gasly revealed that he and Brendon Hartley have spoken and moved on following their on-track clash in China. Gasly hinted the team took his side over the incident, and that any future swaps on-track will be made far simpler to avoid a repeat.

- Gasly is also sporting his ‘lucky’ beard once again in Baku, having joked that it helped him on his way to fourth place in Bahrain earlier this month.

- Despite waiting for a bigger update package in Spain in two weeks’ time, Williams is not giving up on its hope for some breakthrough points in Baku this weekend. Sergey Sirotkin said the team had “nothing to lose”, pinning its hopes on a crazy race similar to that of 2017 that allowed Lance Stroll to nick a podium finish.

- Following the FIA’s announcement it would be upping the fuel limit by 5 kg from 2019, most drivers asked in Baku said they doubted it would have much of an impact on improving races to make them flat-out.

- The other announced change setting the driver weight apart from that of the car was largely welcomed, particularly by Esteban Ocon, who is the tallest driver on the grid. He revealed his decision to enter DTM instead of F2 was largely fuelled by his height making it hard to adjust to the car.

- Gunther Steiner said that Haas is yet to have spoken any further with F1 bosses about plans for 2021 and beyond. Following the initial presentation made in Bahrain, talks are expected to take place with individual teams over the coming weeks and months.

- The only track change made for this weekend’s race in Baku comes at Turn 8, where the kerb has been removed and replaced with a shorter version as it was after Friday’s running last year.

- The FIA-appointed driver stewards in Baku are Garry Connelly, Dennis Dean and Tom Kristensen.

Personally, I hope we won't have interrupted race like past races this season. Some top speed battle from Merc and Ferrari will be nice as well.
Finger crossed for close battle on the midfield. I hope HAAS and FI will come on top.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
Welp, a safety car decided this one - and then a piece of metal on the track un-decided it.
Disappointing restart by Kimi at the end, I didn't expect him to be that slow, but then apparently he almost crashed after the restart and took it cautiously.

Max Verstappen should sit out the next race. He was continually being overly agressive, forcing Ricciardo off the track, before going back to doing 2 moves into the corner.

Now you could say, the race was exciting - but really, for the most part it was showing the driver's worst performances. I suppose that's something the track brings out, with the close walls and high speeds, which are psychologically very draining. Add to this tire heating issues, and I suppose mistakes will happen.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I would put the blame on Verstappen for that crash...2 moves there is not acceptable IMO.
Bit of a crazy race that one...gutted for Bottas.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
In 2016 I remember people said Baku was a super boring race. But then, 2017 came and somehow opened the pandora box.
Today, formula1.com releases Gasly vs Magnussen incident and I think now I know the source of Bottas' problem.

ao_ika_red

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2016
Breaking news from crash.net:
Changes to improve overtaking in F1 voted in for 2019
Proposals to simplify aerodynamic packages in a bid to improve overtaking in Formula 1 have been pushed through in a last-minute vote by the F1 Commission.

The regulation changes, including simplified front wings to aid cars following each other, wider and deeper rear wings, and simplified front brake ducks featuring no winglets have been voted through for introduction in 2019.

Under the F1 Commission such proposals can be pushed through with the support of just four teams, providing there is backing from the FIA and F1.

The vote took place on April 30, which was the last day in which technical regulation changes for next season can be approved without requiring unanimity among F1’s 10 teams.

Despite opposition from several teams, the changes are set to be implemented next season following shared concerns from drivers and team members that following cars and overtaking has become too difficult in F1 following major changes to produce wider, faster and more aggressive-looking cars for the 2017 campaign.

This view was highlighted again by drivers following a lack of overtaking at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in March, prompting a meeting of team technical bosses in Bahrain, where it was agreed teams would conduct their own CFD research in a bid to make progress before the deadline.

The F1 Commission vote still needs approving by the FIA World Motor Sport Council before the regulation changes will be written into the 2019 rules.

This will be one step forward to closer racing. Hope this will be pushed through WMSC swiftly.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I would put the blame on Verstappen for that crash...2 moves there is not acceptable IMO.
Bit of a crazy race that one...gutted for Bottas.
As long as you are actually ahead of the driver you are allowed one defensive move and a move back to the racing line. Max is easy to blame and there were about a dozen almost moments during the race he would have been responsible for. But this one he did what he was allowed to do and the accident really only happens because both waited way to long to break and both locked up. Inches from each other.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
As long as you are actually ahead of the driver you are allowed one defensive move and a move back to the racing line. Max is easy to blame and there were about a dozen almost moments during the race he would have been responsible for. But this one he did what he was allowed to do and the accident really only happens because both waited way to long to break and both locked up. Inches from each other.
He didn't move back into the racing line though. He moved back left, when the racing line was to the right.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
He didn't move back into the racing line though. He moved back left, when the racing line was to the right.
I think people might be paying to much attention to Ricardo's camera that makes Max look like he is weaving all over the place. Watch the overhead, Max makes a defensive move to the left and then drifts back to the right to take the racing line.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
I think people might be paying to much attention to Ricardo's camera that makes Max look like he is weaving all over the place. Watch the overhead, Max makes a defensive move to the left and then drifts back to the right to take the racing line.
You're saying he moved left then right? As opposed to right then left? All the angles I've seen show he moved right first to block Ricciardo, then back left to block Ricciardo again and then MAYBE starts drifting right again. Watch all the angles and you'll see what I mean.

The drifting right part doesn't matter IMO, he had already done 2 blocking moves already.