Official 2018 Formula 1 Discussion / Fantasy League

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Oh I see what you are getting at it was a harder cut to the right then normal when they came out to the straight but I would consider that as driving to establishing the racing line exiting the turn, then a deffensive move to the left, then going back to the racing line.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Ah okay you're saying his initial move to the right was to get on the racing line.
IMO that was to block because he started off left of where he would have been had he not have someone slipstreaming him, and also because it was a harder cut right than normal. If he had moved to the racing line earlier (as he would have done if no one was behind him), there would be a massive gap on the left, but since he had someone behind him, he wanted to leave as little space on the left as possible to cover anything off.

Either way, the stewards decided on reprimands for both so it is what it is. It isn't the first time Max has moved more than once in the braking zones and it can be very dangerous IMO. Having said that, I generally like his aggressive style, he just needs a bit more experience and discipline I think.

It was an exciting race though...we need more like that this season!

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
So the Monaco race was so boring, that nobody even posted here :(

Anyway, just foun this gem:
https://fantasy.formula1.com/
Seems like F1 is finally getting in on fan involvement. I wonder how they manage to mess it up again :D

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
So the Monaco race was so boring, that nobody even posted here :(

I've been crazy busy but I actually thought the Monaco race was exciting due to the extreme stress that Ricciardo had with his engine problems and still winning it with 50 laps to go. They are calling it one of the best laps of all time, and that he added another 0 to his paycheck that day. He really deserves it so, especially after having lost out on it 2 years earlier, it was great to see it finally happen for him.

Reactions: Orange Kid

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
OMG after 10 years of watching the sport I finally went to my first ever live race in Montreal this year and I was 3 feet from Nico Rosberg (just shy of an autograph) and I met Ted Kravitz!!

TED SIGNED MY SHIRT!! :eek::D:D:D:D I'm also in The Notebook post-race coverage and I'm in one of Nico's pictures!

Will try to get some footage uploaded :D

Reactions: ao_ika_red

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
OMG after 10 years of watching the sport I finally went to my first ever live race in Montreal this year and I was 3 feet from Nico Rosberg (just shy of an autograph) and I met Ted Kravitz!!

TED SIGNED MY SHIRT!! :eek::D:D:D:D I'm also in The Notebook post-race coverage and I'm in one of Nico's pictures!

Will try to get some footage uploaded :D

If ever there was a reason to say "pics or didn't happen" - this is it :D

Reactions: ao_ika_red

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
Well I only got to watch the last race 2 weeks after the fact, and not too much discussion on here about it, but I will share my 2018 season recap regardless :)

Doing the fantasy League the highest overall rank I achieved was 20th in the world out of ~18,000 people, so that was pretty cool. Though that went downhill has Ferrari and Vettel underperformed in the 2nd half.

Lewis everyone pretty much agreed was pretty sublime with almost no errors AT ALL the entire season and creating a few more exceptional performances. Signapore when EVERYONE thought for sure Ferrari had it, and Lewis just blew them away. That lap will be compared to Senna's at Monaco and will go down in history.

Vettel: I've never seen him make so many mistakes since his first season at Red Bull in 2009. He threw it away yet again. What should have been an incredibly exciting year, was only exciting for the first half.

Bottas: Was actually very strong in the first half but had 3 wins taken from him, then team orders turned him into a beaten man. I think Lewis would have switched with him for the win in Abu Dhabi, but Bottas could not maintina 2nd place behind him. Bottas is the first Merc driver to not score a victory since 2014. Ouch. Hope he comes back in 2019 with better luck.

Kimi winning again after like 108 races (a record!) and in his last season at Ferrari is easily one of the highlights of the year.

Max: Starting to hate this guy as he's acting a lot less mature and more like an over-privileged "bro". He did perform well in the 2nd half of the season though.

Ricciardo: Monaco he was sublime with a wounded car. And taking away Max's last chance of being the youngest ever poll sitter in Mexico was AMAZING!!! The 2nd half of his season he got all of Max's bad luck from last year. It was clearly a huge drain for him to put in so much effort only to have the car breakdown so many times. He even publicly stated "Gasly can have this car, I'm done with it.". Horner saying him going to Renault is a bad choice considering most of Red Bull's failures are Renault engine related. But many believe that it's how Red Bull are suffocating the engine this is really the problem.

Hulkenburg getting 7th, or "best of the rest" in the driver's championship... Yeah I'll give it to him, he was pretty consistent. Though I suspected that Ricciardo will fare very well against him (At least I hope so cause I love Ricciardo!). I really would love to see both of these guys get podiums in 2019.

Leclerc: Basically following in Bianci's footsteps. Very exciting young talent.

Gasly: Will be fun to see the combination of two drivers at Red Bull that have talent but lack maturity!

Ocon: Shame he's without a drive next year.

Alonso retiring: I never liked Alonso. Though he made Vandoorne look completely incompetent the entire time he was at Mclaren.

Between Renault, Haas and Force India:
Renault won 4th place (best of the rest) in the constructors largely due to just being most consistent and the failings of the other two teams.
Haas should have won it but made too many mistakes, too inconsistent, particularly Australia.
Force India I think could have taken it but had to restart their point from 0 half way due to being bought out. I hope they finally change their stupid name. Otherwise they continue to be an awesome team.

Sauber were the surprise over-performers of the season. Should Kimi really go here instead of retiring though?

2018 "Meh" Drivers: Perez, Sainz, Grojean, Hartley, Stroll, Ericsson (finally this pay driver is gone), Vandoorne (no surprise to see him leave).

Mclaren and Williams: Such a sad state of affairs. I really hope Kubica can make an impression with his comeback.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I was kind of happy actually, that Kubica didn't get a Williams drive last year, because their car was so shit - driving a red simulator may be less exciting, but probably also less frustrating...
I hope Williams actually keep surviving, they look quite fragile. Going from third to last hurt their image, and now they have trouble keeping their sponsors happy.

Vettel's mistakes in third quarter of the season were really out of sorts - But if you're fighting for the championship, usually the first error just begets more, as you try to make up with more aggressive strategies.

I hope the '21 regs will entice one or two new teams to join. The grid needs to be better balanced, and more cars. Maybe we need additional parts commonality to get there, with only two to three chassis builders, same as for engines right now. Make those available at fixed costs, and restrict development to setup and aero add-ons --- and I guess you end up with Indycar, more or less :D

I actually booked F1TV in mid-season (just before Toto's call to Bottas, to let Hamilton past, so he could finish the season 80 points ahead, instead of 73) and except for the delivery and lack of analysis, it's quite good. Recommended, if you care about the race and qualy, and want to do your own analysis. No app for WebOS (only Android and iOS so far, I think) is a bit of a bummer though.