OCUK: 290X "Slightly faster than GTX 780"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
When R9 280X will be $299 but R9 290X is $599-649, that's an unreasonable premium for most of us for a mere 35% increase in performance. Just my 2 cents.

I agree but $600 for 4K Gaming is H*)) of a lot cheaper then a nVidia GeForce OC'd GTX 780.

I'm surprized you didn't rebuttal my crippled MS Fraunhofer MP3 Codec Pro v1.263i statement - LOL

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
OCUK could be downplaying it,
like others have said to help him clear inventory of older cards.

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
Gibbo normally has his sales-face on but he wouldn't just downright lie about that (I mean the other cards).

He could be downplaying the 290X's performance vs the 780 though, as he'll still want to shift some 780's and saying that the 290X is faster than (or equal) to Titan isn't going to help him do that.

Last edited:

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
Still I find it very hard to get excited about a card that might barely edge out a 780 that comes out nearly 6 months later at $600+.

This

I might just CF my i7 rig after all and call it a day
20nm needs happen before i spend $600 on Nv or AMD

LegSWAT

Jul 8, 2013
similar price is a disappointment:(.was hoping for £400ish.500+ im out.
Buhuhuu :':)oD: Is that how guys with SLI-Titans argue when it comes to the other camp? (not implying you actually own 1-2 Titans)
In the next post, those green MBA-wannabees bash AMD for how non-profitable, not to say charitable, their GPU division works. So it's OK when nV charges 1000+ bucks a graphics card but AMD should give their equal-performing cards away for factory costs. If they don't, they're evil, and if they do, they're too dumb to run a business, in the opinion of your-likes!

Mantle would be dependent on a very specific architecture for the tweaks to work, possibly hampering AMD from necessary redesigns on later chips. "Eternal" is not the word I would use.
Seems like they're very confident GCN at its shader core is the best GPU/APU architecture for a long time to come. Seeing it from a tech-POV, just looking at current specs, they even might be right with it, unless some totally revolutionary secret sauce would appear out of nowhere and turn around the entire GPU industry.

The memory speeds alone don't seem to do much for performance on this generation, nor on the last. The 79xx's can easily oc to the 300GB/s++ speeds that AMD bragged about in the presentation, and they've been out for almost two years.
Ah hello? It's got an additional memory channel! That's +33% more bandwidth at equal speeds, comparing apples to apples. What's hindering you to OC Hawaii in the same way as Tahiti?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Wait, is the Titan slightly faster than the 780? Someone help me figure this out.

Or is the Titan 17 times faster than the 780? Help, what is. I was hoping the R9X would be massively faster than the 780 just like the Titan is. The Titan is 20x faster than the 780, right?

LegSWAT

Jul 8, 2013
Wait, is the Titan slightly faster than the 780? Someone help me figure this out.

Or is the Titan 17 times faster than the 780? Help, what is. I was hoping the R9X would be massively faster than the 780 just like the Titan is. The Titan is 20x faster than the 780, right?

For some on here, it's 20, nay 200, nay 20.000 times faster!

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
For some on here, it's 20, nay 200, nay 20.000 times faster!

Oh, clearly, I agree with you. ;) I guess AMD lost this round since the Titan is SO MUCH FASTER than the GTX 780. As we all know, the 400$ price difference between the 780 and Titan is clearly justifiable. The performance difference is so far in favor of the Titan, that makes the price difference well worth it.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
Buhuhuu :':)oD: Is that how guys with SLI-Titans argue when it comes to the other camp? (not implying you actually own 1-2 Titans)
In the next post, those green MBA-wannabees bash AMD for how non-profitable, not to say charitable, their GPU division works. So it's OK when nV charges 1000+ bucks a graphics card but AMD should give their equal-performing cards away for factory costs. If they don't, they're evil, and if they do, they're too dumb to run a business, in the opinion of your-likes!

Seems like they're very confident GCN at its shader core is the best GPU/APU architecture for a long time to come. Seeing it from a tech-POV, just looking at current specs, they even might be right with it, unless some totally revolutionary secret sauce would appear out of nowhere and turn around the entire GPU industry.

Ah hello? It's got an additional memory channel! That's +33% more bandwidth at equal speeds, comparing apples to apples. What's hindering you to OC Hawaii in the same way as Tahiti?

Factory costs? [redacted] would you know about factory costs*laughs*.the time frame this card comes out and charging similar to a 780 for slightly faster.gime a break.

Profanity isn't allowed in the technical forums.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010

Isnt the Titan only like 5-10% faster than the stock 780?

with factory overclocked 780s, being faster than the Titans (sometimes)?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Factory costs? [redacted] would you know about factory costs*laughs*.the time frame this card comes out and charging similar to a 780 for slightly faster.gime a break.

Are you typing this on a phone? I love ghetto speak.

LegSWAT

Jul 8, 2013
Oh, clearly, I agree with you. ;) I guess AMD lost this round since the Titan is SO MUCH FASTER than the GTX 780. As we all know, the 400$ price difference between the 780 and Titan is clearly justifiable. The performance difference is so far in favor of the Titan, that makes the price difference well worth it.

On a subjective position, when it comes to quantitative assessment, it's "One, two, many", simple as that.

I'm ever-so-slightly hinting at double-standards when it comes to consumer's behavior, get my point? You want AMD to stay your cheap jack while at the same time happily buying overpriced products from the other camp. Cuda, physx and marketing gives nV products an enormous over-value and people are happy to pay up to 2,5 times more than a 7970 GHz for 30%-50% more performance, whilst on the other side, mantle, BF4 + a bunch of other games, true audio and whatnot other stuff team red packs in isn't worth a dime for same price same performance? Or, in short: Cash seems not to be an issue when it comes to team green, but is the major issue when it comes to team red. That about sums it up what marketing can do to your logic, right?

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
erm,i saw your point,i think.as for cheap jack?those days are long gone my friend.£500+ is overpriced for this card IMO(if only slightly faster than a 780).

SiliconWars

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2012
erm,i saw your point,i think.as for cheap jack?those days are long gone my friend.£500+ is overpriced for this card IMO(if only slightly faster than a 780).

Not when the competitors slower card is selling for £550...

LegSWAT

Jul 8, 2013
erm,i saw your point,i think.as for cheap jack?those days are long gone my friend.£500+ is overpriced for this card IMO(if slightly faster than a 780).

So (pulling numbers out of my Ares) let's say, if that new AMD card is 5% faster in most scenarios than the GTX 780, draws about equal wattage, comes with BF4 and a bunch of other games, is 50% faster in 1-2 optimized games and selling for the same price, you'd still call it overpriced?