Obama's UN Speech

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam."

Then is it save to assume that obama would not like the idea of my pet pig being named More-Ham-Pig.

What the US and the rest of the sane world ought to do is ensure that there is at the minimum a weekly insult to the religion of islam and/or their so call prophet. Let's see how long they can keep up the riots and demonstrations. Maybe they will finally understand and join the 18th century. Joining the 21st century all at once would be too much for them.

Feb 10, 2000
Then is it save to assume that obama would not like the idea of my pet pig being named More-Ham-Pig.

What the US and the rest of the sane world ought to do is ensure that there is at the minimum a weekly insult to the religion of islam and/or their so call prophet. Let's see how long they can keep up the riots and demonstrations. Maybe they will finally understand and join the 18th century. Joining the 21st century all at once would be too much for them.

This sort of ignorant bluster might work in Flower Mound, Texas, but as a practical matter you can't seriously be stupid enough to want the President of the United States behave this way.

Can we safely assume you were equally indignant when President Bush said "Islam is peace," in the aftermath of 9/11? http://georgewbush-whitehouse.archives.gov/news/releases/2001/09/20010917-11.html Something tells me the answer is no, though you will no doubt claim otherwise.

For what it's worth I think Islam is, in many ways, a backward and dangerous religion, but the answer is not poking Muslims with a stick in the hopes of instigating a violent reaction (which is pretty clearly what the makers of "Innocence of Muslims" were doing).

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Excellent speech! :thumbsup:

Looks like he's posturing to hit Iran.

Hilarious given that we've known for months that they have no nuclear capability.

Has everybody really forgotten about iraq already? WMD WMD WMD! NO FUCKING WMD FOUND.

And yet here in this very forum we have droves of people who pretend to love their country and the armed forces and yet they're whole-heartedly backing such a clearly ignorant attack that's only going to endanger our country as a whole and get a bunch of 18-20 somethings killed or badly wounded in combat.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Hilarious given that we've known for months that they have no nuclear capability.

Has everybody really forgotten about iraq already? WMD WMD WMD! NO FUCKING WMD FOUND.

And yet here in this very forum we have droves of people who pretend to love their country and the armed forces and yet they're whole-heartedly backing such a clearly ignorant attack that's only going to endanger our country as a whole and get a bunch of 18-20 somethings killed or badly wounded in combat.

What's stupid is when someone looks as one situation and automatically extends it to another. That's what Bush did with Saddam and his actions of a decade or more before. Before the IAEA sank his nuke program. Before he was made into a paper tiger.

Iran isn't Iraq. It isn't Saddam. They have an active nuclear program and they will not let the IAEA inspect key facilities. Iran actively supports terrorism. Nothing Obama said is untrue. You can play in the past all you want, but the two are not equivalent.

Now what and when something be done is a very real concern but to pretend there isn't anything to worry about? That's foolish.

Feb 10, 2000
Because in America we have free speech. And regardless of what Obama and Islamic Extremists think we still will in the future.

a) Your post doesn't answer my question or even attempt to.

b) Nobody (including but not limited to the President) has said anything in the aftermath of the embassy attacks that in any way infringes, or suggests any infringement, of anybody's free speech. To the contrary, the President said:

We understand why people take offense to this video because millions of our citizens are among them. I know there are some who ask why don't we just ban such a video. The answer is enshrined in our laws. Our Constitution protects the right to practice free speech.

Here in the United States, countless publications provoke offense. Like me, the majority of Americans are Christian, and yet we do not ban blasphemy against our most sacred beliefs. As president of our country, and commander in chief of our military, I accept that people are going to call me awful things every day, and I will always defend their right to do so.

Americans have fought and died around the globe to protect the right of all people to express their views -- even views that we profoundly disagree with. We do so not because we support hateful speech, but because our founders understood that without such protections, the capacity of each individual to express their own views and practice their own faith may be threatened.

We do so because in a diverse society, efforts to restrict speech can quickly become a tool to silence critics and oppress minorities. We do so because, given the power of faith in our lives, and the passion that religious differences can inflame, the strongest weapon against hateful speech is not repression, it is more speech -- the voices of tolerance that rally against bigotry and blasphemy, and lift up the values of understanding and mutual respect.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Evidence in this thread says otherwise.

It would be hard to tag me as a hardcore Obama supporter so if I say he did something well it's because I think he did. This is one of the better speeches we've seen in a long time about such a serious topic. The partisan thing really sucks.

Feb 10, 2000
Evidence in this thread says otherwise.

Indeed.

I find it interesting how many Americans have a completely warped view of what "free speech" means, particularly those on the right. Here's a clue: criticizing particular speech is not an infringement on free speech - it is a form of free speech.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
It would be hard to tag me as a hardcore Obama supporter so if I say he did something well it's because I think he did. This is one of the better speeches we've seen in a long time about such a serious topic. The partisan thing really sucks.

I think the rest of the speech is fine, it's just the big BUT Obama still had to stick in there

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
What evidence is that?

As already pointed out by DVC, the following statement. Nowhere did anyone limit the asshat filmmaker's right to speech. Those that took issue with the content stated as much. This doesn't take away any of his rights. You have the right to say what you think, and then others exercise the EXACT SAME RIGHTS to tell you that you're a moron.

Because in America we have free speech. And regardless of what Obama and Islamic Extremists think we still will in the future.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
a) Your post doesn't answer my question or even attempt to.

b) Nobody (including but not limited to the President) has said anything in the aftermath of the embassy attacks that in any way infringes, or suggests any infringement, of anybody's free speech. To the contrary, the President said:

So slandering the prophet will be banned soon?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The speech writer did a good job. Too bad the president cant be that eloquant on the fly on his own. It always takes his speech writers at least 4 days before the president says anything.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

So slandering the prophet will be banned soon?

That leap of logic is only dwarfed by the distance between firing neurons in your brain.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Obama hit Iran? That will not happen.

If obama wins the election, then very shortly after that, Israel will strike and strike big at Iran. They will have nothing to lose if obama wins. If anything obama will attack Israel or at the least help Iran and not help Israel.

That is what any muslim would do.

Just say no to drugs and yes to your meds. You are nuts.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
That's cute. You can insult the messenger all you want, I am not the condemning someone for exercising free speech.

And apparently you still don't get that the bolded isn't an infringement on anyone's rights.

Feb 10, 2000
That's cute. You can insult the messenger all you want, I am not the condemning someone for exercising free speech.

Condemning someone's speech is not an infringement of their free speech rights, it is an exercise of free speech. If your stupid position were accurate, you would be "infringing" the President's free speech rights, by "condemning him for exercising free speech."