Obama's UN Speech

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Thanks for the post I'll read it and comment back in a bit.

Exceptional speech, it really was. The only part i don't like is him starting the drums of war for Syria and Iran while talkingnabout diplomacy. We should support in spirit andnin sale of arms possibly rebels in Syria or to other nations that wish to take up the cause, but the USA should not put boots on the floor or lend our military might.

Last edited:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Eh...

President Obama:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam."

Claims to support free speech, then says that. Dare I say I do not agree with him?

I can see his undertones between the lines but at least he didn't apologize for anything and that statement is something I can agree with so I'll give him a pass.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Eh...

President Obama:
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam."

Claims to support free speech, then says that. Dare I say I do not agree with him?

Here's the full quote.

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. Yet to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see when the image of Jesus Christ is desecrated, churches are destroyed, or the Holocaust is denied. Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims, and Shiite pilgrims. It is time to heed the words of Gandhi: "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit." Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies, and that is the vision we will support.

I agree with him because the purpose of the film wasn't enlightenment, it was an purposeful incitement. I don't want the world filled and run by people who have hateful intent. Note further that he's also kicked a bunch of people in the nuts here who demonstrate their hatred for Christians as well. I don't want our future determined by spiteful and petty people.

Feb 10, 2000
Can you highlight the point in the transcript where he said that? I read it and did not find.

It does say that. The complete paragraph, from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/sep/25/obama-un-general-assembly-transcript :

The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam. Yet to be credible, those who condemn that slander must also condemn the hate we see when the image of Jesus Christ is desecrated, churches are destroyed, or the Holocaust is denied. Let us condemn incitement against Sufi Muslims, and Shiite pilgrims. It is time to heed the words of Gandhi: "Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit." Together, we must work towards a world where we are strengthened by our differences, and not defined by them. That is what America embodies, and that is the vision we will support.

I find it hard to see that sentiment as controversial, but there is no shortage of morons who will fault the President no matter what he says.

Nov 30, 2006
Hail Mary of 2012!

Surely this would change the focus of things.
Unfortunately, the realist in me doubts anything will change as a result of this speech. But the idealist in me wishes such things were possible.

He's damn good at giving speeches...you have to give him that.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Unfortunately, the realist in me doubts anything will change as a result of this speech. But the idealist in me wishes such things were possible.

He's damn good at giving speeches...you have to give him that.

No one can just give a speech and things change, but I felt he gave a good representative assessment of what we value and why. It was a positive statement of who we are and what we believe, not a mad diatribe of shouting down Imadinnerjacket. In all I'm impressed.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Obama hit Iran? That will not happen.

If obama wins the election, then very shortly after that, Israel will strike and strike big at Iran. They will have nothing to lose if obama wins. If anything obama will attack Israel or at the least help Iran and not help Israel.

That is what any muslim would do.

cganesh75

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Super Moderator
Oct 8, 2005
Obama hit Iran? That will not happen.

If obama wins the election, then very shortly after that, Israel will strike and strike big at Iran. They will have nothing to lose if obama wins. If anything obama will attack Israel or at the least help Iran and not help Israel.

That is what any muslim would do.

not sure if you are serious

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I agree with him because the purpose of the film wasn't enlightenment, it was an purposeful incitement. I don't want the world filled and run by people who have hateful intent. Note further that he's also kicked a bunch of people in the nuts here who demonstrate their hatred for Christians as well. I don't want our future determined by spiteful and petty people.

In a vacuum, by itself, I'd have to agree with your sentiment, but the situation is not ideal and the folks incited are in great need of repudiation. In a perfect world, don't cast stones. In this world, bury them under a mountain.

They are an adversary to be confronted. Not meekly kowtowed to. Confrontation does not necessarily mean violence. It does mean asserting ourselves and standing up against them.

Burn the Koran, make a stupid film. Let the world belong to those who have enough self respect not to bow to murderers and thugs.

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
not sure if you are serious

Unfortunately I am. I would hope and pray that both Israel and Iran figure out before it is too late that throwing nukes at each other is some really heavy shit.

I am a retired Marine and very conservative but there is no way that I want anyone to set off a nuke. That is one jeannie that never ought be let out of the bottle.

However, one must always keep in mind that every Jew, especially those living in Israel, have upper most in their daily lives and planning the phrase....."Never again".