Obama supports the Constitutional Right of Mosque being built near WTC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Hamas was involved with 9/11?:rolleyes:

The imam behind plans to build a controversial Ground Zero mosque yesterday refused to describe Hamas as a terrorist organization.

According to the State Department's assessment, "Hamas terrorists, especially those in the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, have conducted many attacks, including large-scale suicide bombings, against Israeli civilian and military targets."

Asked if he agreed with the State Department's assessment, Imam Faisal Abdul Rauf told WABC radio, "Look, I'm not a politician.

"The issue of terrorism is a very complex question," he told interviewer Aaron Klein.

"There was an attempt in the '90s to have the UN define what terrorism is and say who was a terrorist. There was no ability to get agreement on that."

Asked again for his opinion on Hamas, an exasperated Rauf wouldn't budge.

"I am a peace builder. I will not allow anybody to put me in a position where I am seen by any party in the world as an adversary or as an enemy," Rauf said, insisting that he wants to see peace in Israel between Jews and Arabs.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/imam_terror_error_efmizkHuBUaVnfuQcrcabL#ixzz0wauAyAcY

Oh so you don't want to call terror groups, terror groups. You need a UN definition. They are just spitting in our faces. And hiding behind religion freedom to do it.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Why is putting a mosque near the world trade center a bad idea? Because a bunch of anti-islamic people are going to cry? Muslims died on 9.11. All the Muslim nations condemnded the attacks. There are 7 million Muslims in the U.S. If you believe they are a threat and believe in the same Islam that the 9/11 highjackers did then you should stay indoors. We are so f'd.

All the people crying are crying because they want the government to take action. Well get mad and cry because nothing is going to happen. This is America. Don't like it? Move to the Netherlands.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
Obama stood up for religious freedom, as well he should.

The anti-muslim sentiment in the US is getting out of hand, and I'm glad the president spoke on the issue, and sided firmly with the ideals the nation was founded upon.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Obama stood up for religious freedom, as well he should.

The anti-muslim sentiment in the US is getting out of hand, and I'm glad the president spoke on the issue, and sided firmly with the ideals the nation was founded upon.

Don't you loony leftist take every chance you can to bash Christians? Yet go out of your way to defend the sensibilities of Muslims, weird.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Don't you loony leftist take every chance you can to bash Christians? Yet go out of your way to defend the sensibilities of Muslims, weird.

Criticizing Christians is not near the same as Banning Mosques. Fail again oh Failed One.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
us democrats and liberals will be swinging from the light poles when islam takes over.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
There are 7 million Muslims in the U.S. If you believe they are a threat and believe in the same Islam that the 9/11 highjackers did then you should stay indoors. We are so f'd.

There are tens of millions of racists in America. Should we allow them to open institutions of racism?

I don't think anyone is saying all American Muslims are a threat, but their ideology is one of intolerance and hate. This is the year 2010 and that kind of thinking is no longer welcome, especially two blocks away from a site where 2000+ people were murdered as a result of said ideology.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010

I've never supported banning any church, and I'll never support banning any mosque either.

How does that make me a "loony leftist" ?

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
I don't think anyone is saying all American Muslims are a threat, but their ideology is one of intolerance and hate.

No, it isn't.

Their religion is no better or worse than any other, and they have every right to practice it peacefully.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
Shouldn't Obama be worried about more important things like fixing the economy? We're at 10% unemployment. His opinion on the mosque is irrelevant. A whole press conference wasted on a minor issue. Total fail. Get back to work Obama.

He has been focused like a laser on killing jobs, he has barely had enough time to take 17 vacations in the last couple of weeks.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Shouldn't Obama be worried about more important things like fixing the economy? We're at 10% unemployment. His opinion on the mosque is irrelevant. A whole press conference wasted on a minor issue. Total fail. Get back to work Obama.

Shouldn't you be surfacing from your folks basement by now? Until then you have no fingers to point, they are too busy filling up your socks.

dwell

pics?
Oct 9, 1999
Their religion is no better or worse than any other

That statement is patently false. While there are branches of all religions that promote intolerance, it is at the forefront of all Islamic teachings. Asking a woman to cover her face is not about two centuries backwards in your opinion?

Medu

Mar 9, 2010
Right, I think we've established that, but just because they have a right to do something doesn't make it a good idea. Neo-Nazi's have the right to speak of hating Jews, and minorities, is it a good idea?

So this Mosque will be celebrating and supporting 9/11?

Unpopular does not mean wrong. If Obama came out against this then it would be just more ammo for the extremists.

khon

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2010
That statement is patently false. While there are branches of all religions that promote intolerance, it is at the forefront of all Islamic teachings. Asking a woman to cover her face is not about two centuries backwards in your opinion?

Sure it is.

But that has more to do with western nations being more developed, than it does with christianity vs islam.