Obama rewords "students in college will participate in mandatory 100 hours community service"

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
I'm not for this. Double the hours and maybe it won't be so bad.

I really don't care for the poor. They can fix their freaking problems on their own if they tried hard. Take out a big loan with that smart credit you have been building up and then go to college and learn. Come out with a starting wage of 50K and you're set for life. How hard is that? Get FAFSA approved and get scholarships... There is no reason why anyone cannot get a great education and be successful and well off. The only reason I can think of why you couldn't is because of some kind of physical/mental disability and you already get money for that probably.

That's a pretty idiotic statement.

He's just echoing the beliefs of most Republicans. They hate poor people and will take every opportunity to take jabs at them. Sure, some are unemployed because they're lazy and make bad decisions. Others are working really hard at a dead-end job but still can't make ends meet. Despite that, many of them want to abolish (or at least quit increasing) the minimum wage, so they can never get paid more than they are currently making even as everything else starts costing more. And forget about paying for health care or college if you're in a situation like that.

No, poor people are clearly scum and must be punished for being so lazy and uninsured.

Their fault for working a dead-end job, lol. Stupid people do stupid jobs.

Idiot. It's not their fault they grew up in poverty with few opportunities for advancement. Poverty is a vicious circle that just feeds itself. A few manage to escape it, but many get stuck in the circle. And who are you to call them stupid? Maybe they just couldn't get an education. At least some try to make ends meet by doing honest work.

You really are stupid. It's not hard to get a good education if you try. Work hard in school and you'll get scholarships. I know for fact that you can have a job and maintain a 4.0 GPA in high school. Save money for a car and get FAFSA approved. (If you're poor, you should easily be)

I know high school students can go to some local community colleges, 100% FREE, and get a good education. The CC I attend does this. There are so many high school students, some fifteen, who don't have to pay and can go to the school while going to high school. Some of them have jobs and still maintain a 4.0 GPA. It's not impossible, at all.

So is CC a new abbreviation for Harvard? Apparently its pretty easy to get 1600's on your SAT's and get a 4.0GPA, according to you, so I can only assume that you've taken full advantage of your superior intellect and are pursuing your place among the upper echelon? Or does CC still stand for community college, where you're studying some much needed basic English comp skills alongside those very people you revile so much?

I just don't understand why you have everybody else's problems figured out so well, but somehow are too lazy or stupid (by your own criteria) to attend the type of university that accepts those students with high SAT scores and 4.0 GPA's?

In other words, your argument is so full of shit that I don't even have to consult google to verify. You've delivered the entire package within your own posts, and since you're hateful about it, you're going to get skewered.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: m1ldslide1
Originally posted by: AstroManLuca
I'm not for this. Double the hours and maybe it won't be so bad.

I really don't care for the poor. They can fix their freaking problems on their own if they tried hard. Take out a big loan with that smart credit you have been building up and then go to college and learn. Come out with a starting wage of 50K and you're set for life. How hard is that? Get FAFSA approved and get scholarships... There is no reason why anyone cannot get a great education and be successful and well off. The only reason I can think of why you couldn't is because of some kind of physical/mental disability and you already get money for that probably.

That's a pretty idiotic statement.

He's just echoing the beliefs of most Republicans. They hate poor people and will take every opportunity to take jabs at them. Sure, some are unemployed because they're lazy and make bad decisions. Others are working really hard at a dead-end job but still can't make ends meet. Despite that, many of them want to abolish (or at least quit increasing) the minimum wage, so they can never get paid more than they are currently making even as everything else starts costing more. And forget about paying for health care or college if you're in a situation like that.

No, poor people are clearly scum and must be punished for being so lazy and uninsured.

Their fault for working a dead-end job, lol. Stupid people do stupid jobs.

Idiot. It's not their fault they grew up in poverty with few opportunities for advancement. Poverty is a vicious circle that just feeds itself. A few manage to escape it, but many get stuck in the circle. And who are you to call them stupid? Maybe they just couldn't get an education. At least some try to make ends meet by doing honest work.

You really are stupid. It's not hard to get a good education if you try. Work hard in school and you'll get scholarships. I know for fact that you can have a job and maintain a 4.0 GPA in high school. Save money for a car and get FAFSA approved. (If you're poor, you should easily be)

I know high school students can go to some local community colleges, 100% FREE, and get a good education. The CC I attend does this. There are so many high school students, some fifteen, who don't have to pay and can go to the school while going to high school. Some of them have jobs and still maintain a 4.0 GPA. It's not impossible, at all.

So is CC a new abbreviation for Harvard? Apparently its pretty easy to get 1600's on your SAT's and get a 4.0GPA, according to you, so I can only assume that you've taken full advantage of your superior intellect and are pursuing your place among the upper echelon? Or does CC still stand for community college, where you're studying some much needed basic English comp skills alongside those very people you revile so much?

I just don't understand why you have everybody else's problems figured out so well, but somehow are too lazy or stupid (by your own criteria) to attend the type of university that accepts those students with high SAT scores and 4.0 GPA's?

In other words, your argument is so full of shit that I don't even have to consult google to verify. You've delivered the entire package within your own posts, and since you're hateful about it, you're going to get skewered.

LOL, you really are stupid. Just because I didn't do it doesn't mean others can't. I never tried in school and don't now, that's why I don't go anywhere. I manage my GPA to be at least a 3.0 though

Getting a 1600 on the SAT is cake. Getting an 1800 is pretty easy as well. Getting a 2000 can require a tad bit of studying. Harvard I believe takes at least a 2100 to get considered. I never knew what was going to be on the SAT because I wanted to be surprised. I knew I wasn't going to a university because I didn't ever have interest until recently.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Originally posted by: palehorse
I bet y'all are pissed off about the new loan forgiveness for public service too.
got a link?

The Bill was passed in the summer of 2007. It took effect this year(but really next).

If you consolidate all your federal student loans into an IBR(25 year repayment) direct student loan and work in public service for 10 years, the governemt will forgive the remaining balance.

Heres a break down. Say you rack up $25k in undergrad, and $125k in Law school.

After law school you work in the BROADLY definded "public service" sector. Say you make $55k. You'll be paying approx $500 a month for 10 years and the rest gets forgiven. You just owe taxes on the forgiven.

Text

My current plan is to go to law school and then go into either the JAG Corps, Fed Govt, or State govt. This program will likely save me $75-100k
Well 10 years of real service is certainly more of a commitment than 100 measly hours! As long as that's the case, I don't really have a problem with that one...

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I bet y'all are pissed off about the new loan forgiveness for public service too.
got a link?

The Bill was passed in the summer of 2007. It took effect this year(but really next).

If you consolidate all your federal student loans into an IBR(25 year repayment) direct student loan and work in public service for 10 years, the governemt will forgive the remaining balance.

Heres a break down. Say you rack up $25k in undergrad, and $125k in Law school.

After law school you work in the BROADLY definded "public service" sector. Say you make $55k. You'll be paying approx $500 a month for 10 years and the rest gets forgiven. You just owe taxes on the forgiven.

Text

My current plan is to go to law school and then go into either the JAG Corps, Fed Govt, or State govt. This program will likely save me $75-100k
Well 10 years of real service is certainly more of a commitment than 100 measly hours! As long as that's the case, I don't really have a problem with that one...

That's how I feel about that. It's a much bigger commitment and sounds quite fair. I am willing to help fund those kinds of things through taxes. As long as the person is getting something useful. :)