Obama rewords "students in college will participate in mandatory 100 hours community service"

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
I like it. Carrot approach usually works better then the "you have too" approach.

Yeah, it makes it easier for rich kids to get out of it, but keeps the weight on poorer kids who have no choice.

Dec 26, 2007
I like it. Carrot approach usually works better then the "you have too" approach.

If they offer me $4k for tuition expenses in exchange for 100 hours a year of community service I am all for it. It would work out to $40/hr going right to college, which I would take. So all said and done with work+that I have tuition covered basically, since school costs me ~$9500 or so a year.

Granted this won't take effect until I graduate most likely (in ~2 years).

Here's another idea, what about offering that same $4k to people who do 100 hours of service to help repay student loans as well? It would get more participation out of the 24-30ish crowd to get an extra $4k/yr to help pay down student loans.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bamacre

Yeah, it makes it easier for rich kids to get out of it, but keeps the weight on poorer kids who have no choice.

Yeah, giving poorer kids an option that they would not have otherwise had is a horrible idea. :roll:

The wealthy kids aren't affected at all, and the poorer kids have an additional option that they did not have before. No-one loses here.

ZV

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000

Yea but like the draft rich kids would just get their private doctor to come up with a note/reason to get out of it. At least this way its a choice and kids can get money, help others, and also maybe make contacts that will help them after college.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005

Fuck the poor kids, keep them uneducated! Viva la revolution!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
So they put forth a policy which received considerable negative public feedback, and instead of insisting that their way was right, everyone else was wrong, and if you don't like it you can suck it, they actually went ahead and reformulated it into something more palatable?

Change indeed.

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
This is something that has been needed for a while. I don't see anything wrong with incentive programs at the middle/high school levels as they give kids going into college a work ethic that would otherwise not be there. There was a program in AZ a while back that let middle/high school students go and work in govt offices (in particular civil court) in exchange for tuition waivers for charter schools and community college classes. I worked with them and coming from low income backgrounds along with mediocre grades they were far better, harder working employees than some of the coworkers I had because they seemed to put it as value towards their education.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: DisgruntledVirus

If they offer me $4k for tuition expenses in exchange for 100 hours a year of community service I am all for it. It would work out to $40/hr going right to college, which I would take. So all said and done with work+that I have tuition covered basically, since school costs me ~$9500 or so a year.

Here's another idea, what about offering that same $4k to people who do 100 hours of service to help repay student loans as well? It would get more participation out of the 24-30ish crowd to get an extra $4k/yr to help pay down student loans.

Nothing like the American taxpayer having to give some college students $40 an hour to goof off. I bet the $12/hour factory worker loves the fact that the student will then get to graduate and make quite a bit more than $12/hour.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
$40/hr is ridiculously high... cut that in half, or double the hours requirement, and it might be doable; but, only if it's entirely voluntary!

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: rudder

Nothing like the American taxpayer having to give some college students $40 an hour to goof off. I bet the $12/hour factory worker loves the fact that the student will then get to graduate and make quite a bit more than $12/hour.

That $12/hour factory worker can enroll in college and get the same $40/hour reimbursement that the college kids are getting if he wants to.

ZV

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001
Originally posted by: jonks
So they put forth a policy which received considerable negative public feedback, and instead of insisting that their way was right, everyone else was wrong, and if you don't like it you can suck it, they actually went ahead and reformulated it into something more palatable?

Change indeed.

:roll:

These ideas have been listed on barackobama.com for a long time. They just summarized them poorly on their new change.gov site and fixed it after realizing it.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

That $12/hour factory worker can enroll in college and get the same $40/hour reimbursement that the college kids are getting if he wants to.

ZV

Except for the fact that the $12/hour factory worker probably has a family to support instead of a family supporting him.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005

Someone will need to pay for the tax refunds the $12/hr factory worker will get from Obama's tax plan.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: palehorse
$40/hr is ridiculously high... cut that in half, or double the hours requirement, and it might be doable; but, only if it's entirely voluntary!

It's not too high considering how college tuition increases faster than inflation annually. Private schools are far far worse.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Another idea would be to harness the retired people in modest income-near volunteer-positions in parks, schools, hospitals, libraries, etc. Many of those positions already exist, but more would 'volunteer' if they got enough money to pay for gas, clothing, and meals. Not enough is done with the huge pool of talent of retired people in America, or world wide for that matter. I could cause a lot of trouble (again!) if put in the right position. ;)

-Robert

blinky8225

Nov 23, 2004
The federal government already does this but to a much lesser degree with federal work-study, but it's optional. I get paid $13.25/hour, 75% with which is subsidized by the government, to tutor kids. So, I welcome this 300% raise.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: brandonbull

Someone will need to pay for the tax refunds the $12/hr factory worker will get from Obama's tax plan.

Both you Rudder are perfect examples of people that want it all but you don't want to pay for it. You want the results of what a program like this one can do for the country, but you don't want to pay a dime in taxes or a minute of your time. Instead, you want it all to magically happen on its own for no logical reason as you sit on your asses and whine all fucking day for eternity as you pretend that human beings are capable of developing senses of personal responsibility without teachings or incentive. The kinds of attitudes you have are not much better than those on welfare looking for handouts.

It is time for people like you and I to start putting our money and our time where our mouth is if we want this to happen. This program will be a wonderful thing. It forces nothing, but provides tremendous opportunities that people will take advantage of.

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

ZV

Except for the fact that the $12/hour factory worker probably has a family to support instead of a family supporting him.

My family doesn't support me at all. I have been on my own without family support since I was 18.

So now instead of creating incentives to go to school, lets let people figure out how to get through college without any aid. I'm sorry mr $12/hour factory worker, but you had the oppertunity to go to college and still do. If you want to go to college and get this economic benefit, you are able to just as I am. I'm sorry you decided to get married, and have kids prior to getting a secondary education. That's not my fault though.

Okay so what about when a college grad is his boss? Should we make it harder for the college grad to become his boss since Mr. $12/hr factory worker is a victim of "well my father was a factory worker, and his father was a factory worker, so I should be a factory worker"? Let's have Mr. $12/hr factory worker become the boss, and make everybody be a factory worker before they are a manager. Makes sense right?

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
wow imagine that it is exactly like he has always said and not they ridiculous chicken little shit all the neocons on here were trying to convince us.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: nobodyknows

My family doesn't support me at all. I have been on my own without family support since I was 18.

So now instead of creating incentives to go to school, lets let people figure out how to get through college without any aid. I'm sorry mr $12/hour factory worker, but you had the oppertunity to go to college and still do. If you want to go to college and get this economic benefit, you are able to just as I am. I'm sorry you decided to get married, and have kids prior to getting a secondary education. That's not my fault though.

Okay so what about when a college grad is his boss? Should we make it harder for the college grad to become his boss since Mr. $12/hr factory worker is a victim of "well my father was a factory worker, and his father was a factory worker, so I should be a factory worker"? Let's have Mr. $12/hr factory worker become the boss, and make everybody be a factory worker before they are a manager. Makes sense right?

Not to mention that college has changed so much and online courses are widely available in most colleges in addition to many other solutions for people who both work full time and have families. My SO is taking advantage of those kinds of opportunities right now and I know she would be more than happy to do the 100 hours too. It is a wonderful thing.