Obama for VP?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
it's going to come down to the super delegates, and I think both Obama and Hillary will have good cases to make for themselves; a lot of it is going to depend on PA, though.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: RY62
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: rchiu
Originally posted by: Vic
If Obama increases his delegate lead after Tuesday, how on earth can he look at his supporters and say he'll take the VP slot? Unacceptable. Hillary is better for VP. She can go to funerals and bake cookies.

Unacceptable because this ticket is gonna kick Repub's butt big time? This is a good chance for Obama to make up for his only weakness, the experience argument, and become a strong candidate 4/8 years down the road. It will be great if Democrats can broker something so if the Hillary/Obama got elected into the office, Obama can do stuff like brokering peace in the middle east, renegotiate NFTA...etc.

There is no point for Hillary to be a VP. She doesn't need more experience and Democrats have nothing to gain having her as a VP candidate. With Hillary/Obama ticket, Democrats could lock up the presidential post for the next 16 years.

Hillary does not have any more experience than Obama does. She's just a sequel like Bush Jr was in 2000. And this doesn't help Obama or the Dems (anymore than the Bush II presidency helped the Pubs), because you're not voting for the party, you're voting for a last name.

Heh, yeah sure. I guess Hillary going around the world since early 90's, including war torn area like Bosnia, speak for women's right in China, visiting refugee camps, speaking to high level leaders around the world don't count as experience. If living oversea counts as experience like Obama claimed, I'd have more foreign policy experience then either one of them. Hillary served in the Senate for 8 years, vs Obama's first term. She was coming out with Healthcare initiative, children's health insurance program and adoption and safe families act back in the 90's. You people can talk all you want, but the fact is Hillary has much more high level experience then Obama in Foreign policy, healthcare, family, trade and many other issue.

She made a speech in China and that counts as experience?
Going around the world? That's dumb. Pigeons can fly from Paris to New York-non-stop. Visiting refugee camps? Lawdy lawd, Hillaree helllp us.

Face it, her experience is not profound enough to matter.

LOL @U Obamabots. One day your complaining about her ex-president husband and that people are only voting for the name then the next day your trying to claim she has no experience.

I'm sure she didn't know pick up any experience in her 8 YEARS IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

Geesh!!

If you see that as her experience, it certainly isn't 35 years of experience (which means she'll have to have started earning her experience points right after college). And making speeches is what she criticizes for and yet claim it for herself? She talks about solutions but all I see in the things you mention is nothing but form over function. Are you impressed with her experience?

I'm 200% more impressed with Hillary's experience then I am Obama's.

Bottom line, I'd stand in line to vote for a Hillary/Obama ticket but I might not even bother to go out to vote for an Obama/XYZ ticket.

Says a lot about a man that prefers a woman who wouldn't be where she is today without her man and likes to claim her husband's credit as her own. Not everyone is privilege to have a powerful significant-otherfamily they can use to gain power. Some people (Obama included) have to work hard and earn everything they get in life.

Seems to me B.O. only got where he is because of another powerful woman. Without Oprah we wouldn't even know his name today.

Yeah right. You really believe that?:laugh:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: SSSnail
The point went straight over your head. Hillary could've been a 25 cents a blow prostitute, but if she marries the President that changes everything? She didn't earn the right to represent America like all the hard-working Americans working in government.
So could your mom, see how that works?

Mods, I didn't mean that as a call out, just using that for argument's sake.

And your Obotsma remind me of the SAME crowd that supported Bush. Wait, you ARE the same crowd.

I don't understand your first statement in regards to the argument. No doubt my statement hurt your feelings though.

There you go again with your idiotic sentiments. I'm not wasting my time with you.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
The point went straight over your head. Hillary could've been a 25 cents a blow prostitute, but if she marries the President that changes everything? She didn't earn the right to represent America like all the hard-working Americans working in government.

And your Obotsma remind me of the SAME crowd that supported Bush. Wait, you ARE the same crowd.

I don't understand your first statement in regards to the argument. No doubt my statement hurt your feelings though.

There you go again with your idiotic sentiments. I'm not wasting my time with you.

You started the idiocy. But I'm sure I hurt your feelings none the less. If I did, too bad. You'll get over it.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
If Obama increases his delegate lead after Tuesday, how on earth can he look at his supporters and say he'll take the VP slot? Unacceptable. Hillary is better for VP. She can go to funerals and bake cookies.

Unacceptable because this ticket is gonna kick Repub's butt big time? This is a good chance for Obama to make up for his only weakness, the experience argument, and become a strong candidate 4/8 years down the road. It will be great if Democrats can broker something so if the Hillary/Obama got elected into the office, Obama can do stuff like brokering peace in the middle east, renegotiate NFTA...etc.

There is no point for Hillary to be a VP. She doesn't need more experience and Democrats have nothing to gain having her as a VP candidate. With Hillary/Obama ticket, Democrats could lock up the presidential post for the next 16 years.

Hillary does not have any more experience than Obama does. She's just a sequel like Bush Jr was in 2000. And this doesn't help Obama or the Dems (anymore than the Bush II presidency helped the Pubs), because you're not voting for the party, you're voting for a last name.

Heh, yeah sure. I guess Hillary going around the world since early 90's, including war torn area like Bosnia, speak for women's right in China, visiting refugee camps, speaking to high level leaders around the world don't count as experience. If living oversea counts as experience like Obama claimed, I'd have more foreign policy experience then either one of them. Hillary served in the Senate for 8 years, vs Obama's first term. She was coming out with Healthcare initiative, children's health insurance program and adoption and safe families act back in the 90's. You people can talk all you want, but the fact is Hillary has much more high level experience then Obama in Foreign policy, healthcare, family, trade and many other issue.

Going around the world? That's dumb. Pigeons can fly from Paris to New York-non-stop. Visiting refugee camps? Lawdy lawd, Hillaree helllp us.

LOL @U Obamabots. One day your complaining about her ex-president husband and that people are only voting for the name then the next day your trying to claim she has no experience.

I'm sure she didn't know pick up any experience in her 8 YEARS IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

Geesh!!

If you see that as her experience, it certainly isn't 35 years of experience (which means she'll have to have started earning her experience points right after college). And making speeches is what she criticizes for and yet claim it for herself? She talks about solutions but all I see in the things you mention is nothing but form over function. Are you impressed with her experience?

Bottom line, I'd stand in line to vote for a Hillary/Obama ticket but I might not even bother to go out to vote for an Obama/XYZ ticket.

Says a lot about a man that prefers a woman who wouldn't be where she is today without her man and likes to claim her husband's credit as her own. Not everyone is privilege to have a powerful significant-otherfamily they can use to gain power. Some people (Obama included) have to work hard and earn everything they get in life.

Says a lot about a man that is against a woman because of who she's married to. :p

I would have no problem supporting Obama if I believed he had the right stuff for the job, but I think he's still too green. I also believe that a Hillary/Obama ticket would unite the whole country and that's the most important factor to me.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Geesh!!

Says a lot about a man that is against a woman because of who she's married to. :p

I would have no problem supporting Obama if I believed he had the right stuff for the job, but I think he's still too green. I also believe that a Hillary/Obama ticket would unite the whole country and that's the most important factor to me.

I have nothing against her. But I hate it when people cheat by taking credit that is not their own.

There is no way Hillary/Obama would unite the nation.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: senseamp
Obama is a community organizer, an empty suit, the political version of a used car salesman. When is the last time anyone cared about what a community organizer has to say? Why should Obama be any different. He knows the inspirational BS to say, so he says it, but there is no there there.

Now THIS is hate. So far from the truth it can't be anything but.

She'll earn it by winning.

She can't do that either. She could win every primary from here to August and she still cannot possibly win the nomination through popular vote.

I didn't know it was a popular vote contest. It's a delegate contest.

Ah... and the true colors are revealed.

She can't win through the delegates either. She can only win through the super-delegates.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I'm pretty much in the same frame of mind as daveshel, except that I registered Dem a while back when Connecticut had a chance to dump Joe Lieberman.

The main drawback to Hillary being on any ticket is her incredibly high negative ratings. Obama isn't going to help that-not even Jesus Christ would. If Hillary is on the ticket, I predict a McCain win, or if she wins, a weak, one-term, highly devisive presidency. Obama would be hurting himself and the party in the long run by joining that ticket.

Also, traditionally the VP is selected to bring diversity to the ticket, to add something to what the frontrunner has. There is little difference in Hillary and Obama's positions, and neither would substantially attract new voters to the other. Hillary's core-the feminists-would not accept her in the VP slot.

The best thing to do is to slog this through. I'm hoping for two positive results: (1) the attention remains focused on the Dem campaign to the deteriment of McCain and (2) the general public comes to the perception that Obama does have the smarts, judgment and fortitude to deal with the negative campaigning of Hillary. He can go a long way to establishing that capability trumps experience, which will be an important factor in November.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Is that prostitute comment toward Hillary any worse than the 'terrorist' term thrown around here toward Obama? Yeah, I know. It's in jest. It doesn't make it right.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

There is no way Hillary/Obama would unite the nation.

It's a match made in heaven, but of course some people's hate of Hillary won't let them see that.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: BoberFett
Hilarious. Democrats are going to give Republicans the White House. Again.

Morons.

Yeah, I can't beleive people are stupid enopugh to vote for Obama, he's obviously still wet behind the ears.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Morons.

Yeah, I can't beleive people are stupid enopugh to vote for Obama, he's obviously still wet behind the ears.

I'm talking about you, Hillarybot.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Morons.

I'm sorry, who's the faction doing the "hating?"

:roll:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

Morons.

Both of course, with one side a bit more virulent in their dislike of the other side's candidate. Do I need to post the thousand hate filled rants from dozens of posters against Hillary the evil satanic bitch?

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481
it's going to come down to the super delegates, and I think both Obama and Hillary will have good cases to make for themselves; a lot of it is going to depend on PA, though.

What is Hillary's case? She's not winning this election. She will not have the majority of delegates behind her when the DNC rolls around. IF she wins, it'll be a heist via super delegates which would piss off 1/2 the Democratic Party.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Who's labeling? Who's throwing around insults like a two bit punks? Who's hatred so blind that they hate everything about a person, even her smile? WHO?

Match me the degree of hatred that you see for Oblahma from Hillary supporters, go on.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Who's labeling? Who's throwing around insults like a two bit punks? Who's hatred so blind that they hate everything about a person, even her smile? WHO?

Match me the degree of hatred that you see for Oblahma from Hillary supporters, go on.

Exactly why a vote for Hillary is a vote for McCain. I will not vote for a person whose ego is so great she will run down her opponent as a worse choice than the Republican. That makes her inferior to McCain whom I will therefore vote for. And He's more liberal anyway.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

What is Hillary's case? She's not winning this election. She will not have the majority of delegates behind her when the DNC rolls around. IF she wins, it'll be a heist via super delegates which would piss off 1/2 the Democratic Party.

if Hillary's momentum continues and she wins PA, she can make a case that democratic voters have had second thoughts and that she'll be able to carry far more hispanic voters than Obama, especially when John "McCain-Kennedy" McCain is likely to make a huge push for them.

Rockinacoustic

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2006
Hillbama might be the one thing that could unify the party and prevent one side from walking away from the convention feeling pissed off and slighted.

it'll never happen... it'd make far too much sense and work far too well in furthering the dem's goals of actually winning.

Too True. The party is on a one way ticket to hell yet again if this battle carries out much longer.

I mean, when's the last time the Dem's did anything ballsy and sensical?

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

What is Hillary's case?

Pretty well articulated here: http://www.townhall.com/blog/g...442f-ace5-a483c3056ffd

Cliffs: both she and O will win Blue states and lose red states, but she claims she has a better shot at swing states, as she's won more of the big ones. Electoral college math favors her.

It's still just an argument based on predictions, but superdelegates were created to help steer the party towards the most electable candidate. If they buy her story they might go with her.

I don't like the thought of the pledged delegate count getting ignored by the supers, but it's not like Obama will be walking to the convention with 60% of the vote either. It will likely be a couple percentage points separating them in delegates and the popular vote. The supers were created by the dem party in the 80s to do just what they're going to do now, give the party leaders a bigger voice in picking the nominee, not to simply rubber stamp the delegate count. Again, I think if Obama has the lead in delegates and popular vote I think they should pick him, but I'll vote dem either way.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

Uh, maybe there's a reason for that degree of hatred? Hildabeast (apparently we're being cute with names now?) has built up enemies and most of this hatred is from 'the right' anyway. Before things got rolling I was choosing between Edwards, Clinton, and Obama. After hearing all of them I hitched my wagon to Obama. My main peeve about Hillary is she's stooped to mudslinging when Obama was taking the high road. I hope Obama doesn't have to stoop to her level but if that's the only way he can win then he needs to take off the kid gloves.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sirjonk

Morons.

Both of course, with one side a bit more virulent in their dislike of the other side's candidate. Do I need to post the thousand hate filled rants from dozens of posters against Hillary the evil satanic bitch?

I don't care what you're reading on other sites.

Funny you don't see those kind of posts from me (or even on ATPN that I've seen, but I don't bother to read them all) though but I get labeled just the same...

Some of us don't want to re-elect Bill Clinton. He already served his 2 terms (and I voted for him both times BTW). Some of us can't fool ourselves into believing that we're electing the first woman President when she wouldn't even be running for the office if she didn't have her husband's last name. And even more of us can't trick ourselves into believing that Bill was really that much of a true liberal besides lip-service.
In fact, I think of it as a sick joke that the far left is splitting up the party to support the moderate candidate while the moderates desperately want the more liberal candidate.

So... when, and IF, the Hillary supporters ever decide to refute those valid, logical arguments, without resorting to knee-jerk chants of "hater!" then I might be listening. Until then, don't count it, and I'm just going to assume that every time you call me a hater is just one more time you have chosen to ignore these arguments against Hillary.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The problem it presents is both are high profile. Does a presidential candidate want a VP that could outshine them? Not a good idea.