Obama for VP?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
that is crazy if he has more pledged delegates, which will be the case if you do the math
she can win PA by quite a margin and not catch up to him

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: rchiu
Originally posted by: Vic
If Obama increases his delegate lead after Tuesday, how on earth can he look at his supporters and say he'll take the VP slot? Unacceptable. Hillary is better for VP. She can go to funerals and bake cookies.

Unacceptable because this ticket is gonna kick Repub's butt big time? This is a good chance for Obama to make up for his only weakness, the experience argument, and become a strong candidate 4/8 years down the road. It will be great if Democrats can broker something so if the Hillary/Obama got elected into the office, Obama can do stuff like brokering peace in the middle east, renegotiate NFTA...etc.

There is no point for Hillary to be a VP. She doesn't need more experience and Democrats have nothing to gain having her as a VP candidate. With Hillary/Obama ticket, Democrats could lock up the presidential post for the next 16 years.

Hillary does not have any more experience than Obama does. She's just a sequel like Bush Jr was in 2000. And this doesn't help Obama or the Dems (anymore than the Bush II presidency helped the Pubs), because you're not voting for the party, you're voting for a last name.

Heh, yeah sure. I guess Hillary going around the world since early 90's, including war torn area like Bosnia, speak for women's right in China, visiting refugee camps, speaking to high level leaders around the world don't count as experience. If living oversea counts as experience like Obama claimed, I'd have more foreign policy experience then either one of them. Hillary served in the Senate for 8 years, vs Obama's first term. She was coming out with Healthcare initiative, children's health insurance program and adoption and safe families act back in the 90's. You people can talk all you want, but the fact is Hillary has much more high level experience then Obama in Foreign policy, healthcare, family, trade and many other issue.

She made a speech in China and that counts as experience?
Going around the world? That's dumb. Pigeons can fly from Paris to New York-non-stop. Visiting refugee camps? Lawdy lawd, Hillaree helllp us.

Face it, her experience is not profound enough to matter.

LOL @U Obamabots. One day your complaining about her ex-president husband and that people are only voting for the name then the next day your trying to claim she has no experience.

I'm sure she didn't know pick up any experience in her 8 YEARS IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

Geesh!!

If you see that as her experience, it certainly isn't 35 years of experience (which means she'll have to have started earning her experience points right after college). And making speeches is what she criticizes for and yet claim it for herself? She talks about solutions but all I see in the things you mention is nothing but form over function. Are you impressed with her experience?

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
If Obama increases his delegate lead after Tuesday, how on earth can he look at his supporters and say he'll take the VP slot? Unacceptable. Hillary is better for VP. She can go to funerals and bake cookies.

Unacceptable because this ticket is gonna kick Repub's butt big time? This is a good chance for Obama to make up for his only weakness, the experience argument, and become a strong candidate 4/8 years down the road. It will be great if Democrats can broker something so if the Hillary/Obama got elected into the office, Obama can do stuff like brokering peace in the middle east, renegotiate NFTA...etc.

There is no point for Hillary to be a VP. She doesn't need more experience and Democrats have nothing to gain having her as a VP candidate. With Hillary/Obama ticket, Democrats could lock up the presidential post for the next 16 years.

Hillary does not have any more experience than Obama does. She's just a sequel like Bush Jr was in 2000. And this doesn't help Obama or the Dems (anymore than the Bush II presidency helped the Pubs), because you're not voting for the party, you're voting for a last name.

Heh, yeah sure. I guess Hillary going around the world since early 90's, including war torn area like Bosnia, speak for women's right in China, visiting refugee camps, speaking to high level leaders around the world don't count as experience. If living oversea counts as experience like Obama claimed, I'd have more foreign policy experience then either one of them. Hillary served in the Senate for 8 years, vs Obama's first term. She was coming out with Healthcare initiative, children's health insurance program and adoption and safe families act back in the 90's. You people can talk all you want, but the fact is Hillary has much more high level experience then Obama in Foreign policy, healthcare, family, trade and many other issue.

Going around the world? That's dumb. Pigeons can fly from Paris to New York-non-stop. Visiting refugee camps? Lawdy lawd, Hillaree helllp us.

Making a speech involves understanding both the subject and the audience, plus she is representing the US in THE up and coming superpower where human right is a sore issue. Coming on too strong damage the relationship, coming on too weak gets nothing accomplished. But I am not surprised you don't consider this serious experience, you Hillary hater either choose to ignore these factors or simply too naive to understand the complexity. And she didn't just go around the world, she goes around the world representing American as the First Lady, and meet high level government officials. Again, all the politics come in place when you meet, talk with high level officials. But hey, as long as you chant your words and ignore the facts enough, I guess you can make yourself believe it.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

Sure, sure. I guess sitting on Wal-Mart's board and being a big time corporate lawyer are more geared towards domestic policy than being a civil rights lawyer and a constitutional law professor.

You are trying to compare apples and oranges. You somehow equate experience of any kind as something that is good. I have news for you, experience doesn't mean jack if you are unable to apply the lessons learned from them to your policies.

Clinton visited war torn Bosnia and then proceeds to vote for using force in Iraq. Obviously didn't learn from her experience.

Clinton spoke for women's rights in China and NOW and other women's rights groups are split over her or supporting Obama. Her "experience" must not be too convincing to the very group that she represents.

Those endorsing Obama include longtime peace activist Cora Weiss; Katha Pollitt, columnist for The Nation; Pulitzer-prize winning New York Times writer Margo Jefferson; award-winning women's rights historians Alice Kessler Harris and Linda Gordon; Barbara Weinstein, president of the American Historical Association, and Ellen P. Chapnick, Dean for Social Justice Initiatives at Columbia Law School. Susan Sarandon and Francis Fox Piven signed on Monday.

"Choosing to support Senator Obama was not an easy decision for us," the group stated, "because electing a woman president would be a cause for celebration in itself." They "deplored" the "sexist attacks against Senator Clinton that have circulated in the media." But, they stated, they nevertheless supported Obama because his election "would be another historic achievement" and because "his support for gender equality has been unwavering."

The group based their opposition to Clinton on "her seven-year record as senator." Despite her recent pledges to remove troops from Iraq, the group stated, Clinton's "record of embracing military solutions and the foreign policy advisers she has selected make us doubt that she will end this calamitous war."

The group supported Obama not only for his positions on the war and gender equality, but also because of "the dramatic engagement of young people" with his campaign.

This group joins other prominent feminist leaders who have turned against Hillary and endorsed Obama, including Kate Michelman, president for 20 years of NARAL Pro-Choice America, the country's leading reproductive rights group, and Ellen Bravo, former director of 9to5, the National Association of Working Women.

As for "talking with world leaders"....as the saying goes "Talk is cheap". She has shown that she is able to talk a good game but falls short on delivering results.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Hillbama might be the one thing that could unify the party and prevent one side from walking away from the convention feeling pissed off and slighted.

it'll never happen... it'd make far too much sense and work far too well in furthering the dem's goals of actually winning.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Making a speech involves understanding both the subject and the audience, plus she is representing the US in THE up and coming superpower where human right is a sore issue. Coming on too strong damage the relationship, coming on too weak gets nothing accomplished. But I am not surprised you don't consider this serious experience, you Hillary hater either choose to ignore these factors or simply too naive to understand the complexity. And she didn't just go around the world, she goes around the world representing American as the First Lady, and meet high level government officials. Again, all the politics come in place when you meet, talk with high level officials. But hey, as long as you chant your words and ignore the facts enough, I guess you can make yourself believe it.

There are thousands of Americans working in government that represent the United States officially. She happened to be married to Bill, that's how she got the chance to "represent" the US. Meeting people does not equate to experience. It's sad that you actually think that.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005

Making a speech involves understanding both the subject and the audience, plus she is representing the US in THE up and coming superpower where human right is a sore issue.

No it doesn't. What kind of naive person believes that?

Making a speech entails reading what the speech writer wrote. Period. Nothing more and nothing less. Now, if there was a Q&A session afterwards that you can show where she was asked about things NOT on the paper and was able to respond coherently, you might have a point.

Bush has given some really good speeches during his term on things that, after a short Q&A following it, I am 100% convinced he didn't know WTF he was talking about.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Bush has given some really good speeches during his term on things that, after a short Q&A following it, I am 100% convinced he didn't know WTF he was talking about.
CONFIRMED

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

There are thousands of Americans working in government that represent the United States officially. She happened to be married to Bill, that's how she got the chance to "represent" the US. Meeting people does not equate to experience. It's sad that you actually think that.

Yeah there are thousands of American representing the US officially, sadly Obama isn't and wasn't one of them, or I would have given him more credit. It doesn't matter who she married, what matter is the fact that she did represented US, and she did a good job. Did you ever heard she vomited in some state dinner somewhere(I am referring to what Bush Sr. did if you didn't catch it)? Or talk like ignorant monkey about American superiority somewhere else? It's sad that you actually think it's no big deal to represent your country in all kinds of official visits, oh well I understand how people ignore the fact as long as it suit their opinion.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Obama is a community organizer, an empty suit, the political version of a used car salesman. When is the last time anyone cared about what a community organizer has to say? Why should Obama be any different. He knows the inspirational BS to say, so he says it, but there is no there there.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong

Making a speech involves understanding both the subject and the audience, plus she is representing the US in THE up and coming superpower where human right is a sore issue.

No it doesn't. What kind of naive person believes that?

Making a speech entails reading what the speech writer wrote. Period. Nothing more and nothing less. Now, if there was a Q&A session afterwards that you can show where she was asked about things NOT on the paper and was able to respond coherently, you might have a point.

Yeah and we can see what happen to his rating. Try talk to people from different parts of the world and see how they rate Clinton couple.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Yeah there are thousands of American representing the US officially, sadly Obama isn't and wasn't one of them, or I would have given him more credit. It doesn't matter who she married, what matter is the fact that she did represented US, and she did a good job. Did you ever heard she vomited in some state dinner somewhere(I am referring to what Bush Sr. did if you didn't catch it)? Or talk like ignorant monkey about American superiority somewhere else? It's sad that you actually think it's no big deal to represent your country in all kinds of official visits, oh well I understand how people ignore the fact as long as it suit their opinion.

The point went straight over your head. Hillary could've been a 25 cents a blow prostitute, but if she marries the President that changes everything? She didn't earn the right to represent America like all the hard-working Americans working in government.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

The point went straight over your head. Hillary could've been a 25 cents a blow prostitute, but if she marries the President that changes everything? She didn't earn the right to represent America like all the hard-working Americans working in government.

She'll earn it by winning.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: senseamp

Correct. But she hasn't yet and she certainly didn't earn it in the 1990s when she was just a First Lady.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Correct. But she hasn't yet and she certainly didn't earn it in the 1990s when she was just a First Lady.

So what. Noone earned it until they won it.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002

Are you ignorant? Almost all first lady throughout the history of US act as ambassador in certain capacity, be it domestic or international. It's pathetic that people like you demeaning her and belittle her work by saying she was only able to accomplish those cause she sleeps with Bill Clinton.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Why would he do this when he is still substantially ahead? He will help hillary's ticket, but she will kill his. I see he could do VP but if he wanted her as one, it would not help him in the least.

I don't really want to have any part of this discussion and don't really care one way or the other. But I do think a HRC/BO ticket would be unstoppable.

HRC 'experience' did began with the House Watergate Committee. Obama can bring the 'DC outsider' and emphasis on change.

What's interesting is that of somewhere around 28 million votes have been cast in Dim primaries. Clinton leads the overall vote by 25k (but OB was not on the Mich ballot).

Mich & Fla, geez, way to screw things up - lol

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

LOL @U Obamabots. One day your complaining about her ex-president husband and that people are only voting for the name then the next day your trying to claim she has no experience.

I'm sure she didn't know pick up any experience in her 8 YEARS IN THE WHITE HOUSE.

Geesh!!

If you see that as her experience, it certainly isn't 35 years of experience (which means she'll have to have started earning her experience points right after college). And making speeches is what she criticizes for and yet claim it for herself? She talks about solutions but all I see in the things you mention is nothing but form over function. Are you impressed with her experience?

I'm 200% more impressed with Hillary's experience then I am Obama's.

Bottom line, I'd stand in line to vote for a Hillary/Obama ticket but I might not even bother to go out to vote for an Obama/XYZ ticket.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Obama is a community organizer, an empty suit, the political version of a used car salesman. When is the last time anyone cared about what a community organizer has to say? Why should Obama be any different. He knows the inspirational BS to say, so he says it, but there is no there there.

Now THIS is hate. So far from the truth it can't be anything but.

She can't do that either. She could win every primary from here to August and she still cannot possibly win the nomination through popular vote.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Now THIS is hate. So far from the truth it can't be anything but.

She can't do that either. She could win every primary from here to August and she still cannot possibly win the nomination through popular vote.

I didn't know it was a popular vote contest. It's a delegate contest.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Starbuck1975

The Clinton supporters will attempt to pressure Obama into a VP slot...there is no logical reason why he should accept their manipulations "for the good of the party."

Perhaps the "good of the party" should have come into play after Hillary lost eleven straight contests.

Where is this 'good of the party' of which you speak? This party that has accomplished doodley-squat after winning both houses in 2006 - just what good is it?

OK, I've been registered Independent most of my life, but I have usually voted for the Dems to block. I'm old enough to remember JFK and what he stood form which I guess is why I've been so disappointed in the Dems ever since. I've tried to support third-party candidates, at least when doing so wouldn't hand the election to dangerous mainstream candidates (a lesson I learned voting for Anderson in 1980 when the WH was ceded to Hollywood).

The two-party system as we know it no longer serves our needs. There is no meaningful discourse or dissent in politics. Nobody is willing to take a stand that might disturb the status quo. And the status quo right now = deep shit.

Obama has been around long enough to understand the game, but not so long that he has become beholden to the system and its pressures. I think he represents the Democratic Party's last chance to be a viable institution in American politics. Obama is 'the good of the party' (such as it is).

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Geesh!!

Bottom line, I'd stand in line to vote for a Hillary/Obama ticket but I might not even bother to go out to vote for an Obama/XYZ ticket.

Says a lot about a man that prefers a woman who wouldn't be where she is today without her man and likes to claim her husband's credit as her own. Not everyone is privilege to have a powerful significant-otherfamily they can use to gain power. Some people (Obama included) have to work hard and earn everything they get in life.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
So could your mom, see how that works?

Mods, I didn't mean that as a call out, just using that for argument's sake.

And your Obotsma remind me of the SAME crowd that supported Bush. Wait, you ARE the same crowd.

RY62

Mar 13, 2005

Geesh!!

Says a lot about a man that prefers a woman who wouldn't be where she is today without her man and likes to claim her husband's credit as her own. Not everyone is privilege to have a powerful significant-otherfamily they can use to gain power. Some people (Obama included) have to work hard and earn everything they get in life.

Seems to me B.O. only got where he is because of another powerful woman. Without Oprah we wouldn't even know his name today.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: SSSnail
So could your mom, see how that works?

Mods, I didn't mean that as a call out, just using that for argument's sake.

And your Obotsma remind me of the SAME crowd that supported Bush. Wait, you ARE the same crowd.

I don't understand your first statement in regards to the argument. No doubt my statement hurt your feelings though.