NYT publishes anon op-ed from sr admin official: I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Admin

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That may be, but then he's made a miscalculation. Like I said, I think Pence has publicly said things about Trump which are contradicted by the content of that letter. If Pence comes forward after Trump is gone and tries to play the hero, it isn't going to fly. The first question he's going to be asked is if he really believed the things he said about Trump in that letter, why did he say the opposite in public?

Uh, I think it's pretty well established by the current paradigm of Republican nutterbutters that absolutely none of that shit matters to them.

Feb 4, 2009
I've come across something amusing. XD

DmbpByyW0AUOWsH.jpg

It’s such a viper pit in the WH, it wouldn’t surprise me if loadstone was put in there to discredit Kelly to get even with him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Uh, I think it's pretty well established by the current paradigm of Republican nutterbutters that absolutely none of that shit matters to them.

Why do you think that "republican nutter butters" are the target audience for something like this?

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
(in OJ Simpson voice) "I'm not saying I did it, but if I did this is how I'd do it:"

Look for unusual key words and phrases from several other high profile potential suspects

Mix them in

Have loosely Clinton connnected editor rewrite my thoughts, while not removing the distraction phrases.

Arrange for another accident you can add to the "Clinton body count," just in case....

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Just when you thought posters couldn't get any dumber, we get another one to add to the mix.

What's wrong guy, you've got no home now that Alex Jones has been banned from twitter?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Just when you thought posters couldn't get any dumber, we get another one to add to the mix.

What's wrong guy, you've got no home now that Alex Jones has been banned from twitter?

The thing that gets me about these idiots is what happens when their idiot theories are disproven once and for all. At some point in time, I'm sure we'll know who this anonymous author is and, and s/he will likely admit it. Just like we eventually found out that Deep Throat was Mark Felt. When that happens, you think this moron is going to admit that he was wrong? Nah, he'll just pretend he never wrote it and move on to the next crackpot theory. Like Harold Camping predicting the apocalypse on a certain date, doesn't happen, then he just makes another one and goes on as if the fact the last one failed didn't raise any concerns.

Alex Jones has never made an accurate prediction. Where are those FEMA camps? Yet somehow they keep listening to him, undeterred by his abysmal track record.

Reactions: ivwshane

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why do you think that "republican nutter butters" are the target audience for something like this?

I don't think they are and I've already stated that I think the letter is written explicitly for the handful of oligarchs that run the RNC, particularly Koch Inc (it is no secret that Pence is the empty husk that runs their game). This group wouldn't care about Pence's public pronunciations contradicting the claims in this letter--in fact, putting Pence in position was the hope all along, and this is part of their end game. So, that doesn't matter. To the people that crafted the letter, for the people that the letter is written to: Pence would be behaving exactly as he was commanded to behave.

The only people that should be upset by Pence's craven hypocrisy, would be the peons that unquestioningly vote for these assholes. ...so yeah, we already know that the nutter butters don't care. ;)

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
It's in the op-ed page because the anonymous person wrote it as an op-ed.

Here's the relevant portion of the CNN piece for those who don't want to read it all.

It could have been handed over to the newsroom.

"Actuarially speaking" is a huge qualifier & also a dig at the NYT from Silver. And if we're to believe Woodward it seems highly likely that this was a very high level staffer.

I'm not suggesting 100%. I said it's a possibility, which you replied to me as being totally outlandish.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The thing that gets me about these idiots is what happens when their idiot theories are disproven once and for all. At some point in time, I'm sure we'll know who this anonymous author is and, and s/he will likely admit it. Just like we eventually found out that Deep Throat was Mark Felt. When that happens, you think this moron is going to admit that he was wrong? Nah, he'll just pretend he never wrote it and move on to the next crackpot theory. Like Harold Camping predicting the apocalypse on a certain date, doesn't happen, then he just makes another one and goes on as if the fact the last one failed didn't raise any concerns.

Alex Jones has never made an accurate prediction. Where are those FEMA camps? Yet somehow they keep listening to him, undeterred by his abysmal track record.

What I find so weird about these people is that they seem to be driven by the need to feel as if they have some sort of specialized inside knowledge about how things work that everyone else lacks. It apparently does not bother them that their ‘inside knowledge’ is always wrong.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What I find so weird about these people is that they seem to be driven by the need to feel as if they have some sort of specialized inside knowledge about how things work that everyone else lacks. It apparently does not bother them that their ‘inside knowledge’ is always wrong.
I would be willing to bet that none of the dunces you describe was ever exposed to an educational system in which they were required to write essays they had to critically defend. They haven't the faintest idea what it actually means to think. It's that, too uneducated to know how ignorant they are. They have never been exposed to a system of learning that demanded rational thinking. And when you're that out to lunch you get defensive about it when you're ignorance is apparent to those who have done that work. Nobody wants to be the dunce in the corner.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It isn't one person. The letter defines "us"

One person handed it to the NYT. That person's job is in jeopardy. Pence is part of it. He has been persona non grata in all of Indiana and in the national GOP stage for a decade now. His only dream of creating the Christian Caliphate of the USA that he absolutely desperately wants, is in taking the presidency. This is his goal, and this is why he hitched his trailer to team Trump, with everything that Trump is, and why he politely sits and waits, playing the long game.

I think Pence knows that his best chance of becoming President is for Trump to resign or get impeached. I don't think he wrote this letter, but I would not be surprised to learn that he has protected and enabled those that did.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump wants Attorney General Jeff Sessions to investigate writer of anonymous NYT op-ed

President Donald Trump on Friday said he wants Attorney General Jeff Sessions to investigate the identity of the author of an anonymous op-ed that was published in the New York Times on Wednesday.

The president was speaking to reporters on board Air Force One, and the Justice Department did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment.

Trump also said he was looking into the prospect of taking legal action against The New York Times, citing concerns about "national security.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/07/trump-wants-jeff-sessions-to-investigate-writer-of-anonymous-nyt-op-ed.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Anyone have a ballpark number as to the percentage of Trump’s political enemies he’s called for federal law enforcement to investigate? Does anyone doubt if he’s still around in 2020 he will try to use federal law enforcement against his opponent then?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
He might actually open an investigation. I doubt it will go anywhere, but the Op-Ed does give reasons to believe the writer and others might be breaking the law. So, to appease Trump I imagine that Sessions will agree.

It's actually a brilliant move for Trump. If Sessions follows orders, then Trump gets what he wants, takes NYT to court, and more career Justice officials resign in protest to be replaced by stooges.

If Sessions refuses, then it could be the final straw towards firing Sessions (and completely unrelated to Mueller/Russia.)

Jan 25, 2011
It's actually a brilliant move for Trump. If Sessions follows orders, then Trump gets what he wants, takes NYT to court, and more career Justice officials resign in protest to be replaced by stooges.

If Sessions refuses, then it could be the final straw towards firing Sessions (and completely unrelated to Mueller/Russia.)
This would never make it to a court even if he was serious. The NYT has done absolutely nothing illegal based on well established laws regarding the freedom of the press.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This would never make it to a court even if he was serious. The NYT has done absolutely nothing illegal based on well established laws regarding the freedom of the press.

I think there could be a legal challenge on the basis that this story wasn't reported as fact by an NYT reporter in the byline...it was in the op-ed section. I'm no lawyer, nor do I pretend to be an expert on constitutional law or stare decisis from previous challenges to the press--but I think that even if NYT is not liable to a libel suit, "Person A" might still be liable and I'm curious if NYT could be compelled to reveal the author?