NYPD Police Shoots & Kill a Man Near Times Square

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zt7yN_Lu5c

What a lunatic to open fire in such a situation and I have to agree with the fool yelling "unjustified", how the fuck do you justify opening fire execution on a man in broad daylight whom you have outnumbered 20-30+ to 1 IN A CROWDED PUBLIC, WHAT THE FUCK? Seriously how have I not heard about this yet? There should be riots in NYC right now demanding the officer(s) that opened fire be brought up on charges(the civil response). Surprised there's not people trying to burn down police buildings atm.

Yes I realize he lunged at the officers, but it was quite the ridiculous shit all together. To still open fire around so many civilians is stupid and a poor judgement call. Pull out the batons and beat the fool down Rodney King style.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...8f22ca-e422-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
If I was an officer, I would be very wary of opening fire on a crowded space like Times Square. That is crazy.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Did they hit any bystanders?

Doesn't seem like it, absolutely ridiculous that he still open fired in that situation. I cannot believe it. This has made my blood boil and I find it sad when I go to news.google.com and put in NYPD a fucking story about a dog being shot/mased is bigger news. Fucking pathetic media and police state.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Doesn't seem like it, absolutely ridiculous that he still open fired in that situation. I cannot believe it. This has made my blood boil and I find it sad when I go to news.google.com and put in NYPD a fucking story about a dog being shot/mased is bigger news. Fucking pathetic media and police state.

I Googled the dead guy's name. There are stories about this not only in WaPo, but in the New York Times, Huffpo, the Daily Mail, and the New York Post. That's what I found on page 1. 404 outrage over no coverage not found here.

As to the incident itself, I can't see on that video what happened at the precise moment of the shooting, including where the crowd was in relation to the angle of fire from the officers. Can you?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I Googled the dead guy's name. There are stories about this not only in WaPo, but in the New York Times, Huffpo, the Daily Mail, and the New York Post. That's what I found on page 1. 404 outrage over no coverage not found here.

As to the incident itself, I can't see on that video what happened at the precise moment of the shooting, including where the crowd was in relation to the angle of fire from the officers. Can you?

There are stories, I said they aren't even near the top. I see stories about a dog getting priority over this story in searches. Please show where I said there was lack of coverage?

Some good pictures here, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-times-square-article-1.1134432#ixzz23kXjS3Os you can see he was shot near a window. Honestly such poor decision making on behalf of the police force. Why wait SO FUCKING LONG? More and MORE cops show up and THEN you decide to shoot the guy? That's for a "when my life is in danger" scenario, your life isn't in danger when 20+ of your homies can back you up with metal sticks over twice the length of ONE assholes knife. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Couldn't see anything in that shaky video, no idea what was behind the guy. Presumably if you charge a cop with a knife, you'll get shot.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Pull a knife and threaten someone with a knife and get shot dead? Why would you be outraged or even surprised at it?
I wouldn't even mind seeing some collateral damage to the ghouls like the jerk from Brazil.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
There are stories, I said they aren't even near the top. I see stories about a dog getting priority over this story in searches. Please show where I said there was lack of coverage?

Some good pictures here, http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-times-square-article-1.1134432#ixzz23kXjS3Os you can see he was shot near a window. Honestly such poor decision making on behalf of the police force. Why wait SO FUCKING LONG? More and MORE cops show up and THEN you decide to shoot the guy? That's for a "when my life is in danger" scenario, your life isn't in danger when 20+ of your homies can back you up with metal sticks over twice the length of ONE assholes knife. Ridiculous.

Yes, clearly getting stabbed is ok because there are 20 more cops around you. The only outrageous thing is the stuff going on in your head.

Drawing a parallel between cops using lethal force against lethal force and "police state" only makes you look retarded...

Aug 23, 2000

It'd be a bigger story if 20-30 cops just surrounded a black guy and shot him for no reason. The guy is on video holding a knife and lunged at officers. The logical reponse is to shoot the guy before he can get to you with his knife.
You can internet quarterback it all you want, but in the split second it takes, the officers had a justifiable reason to shoot.
Even with bystandards around, cops have no duty and no obligation to just roll over and let someone kill them. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. In this situation, firearms profeciency won and no innocent people were hurt.

Aug 23, 2000
Pull a knife and threaten someone with a knife and get shot dead? Why would you be outraged or even surprised at it?
I wouldn't even mind seeing some collateral damage to the ghouls like the jerk from Brazil.

The guy from Brazil sounds like a douche. “If they’re going to kill him, I want to take some pictures, I want to record it,”
That's some morbid shit right there. Sounds more like someone wanting to try and make some $$$ off of the death of someone.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I have issue with the situation in which they chose to open fire on this guy, not the fact they actually did it. I believe they nullified his threat to life with overwhelming numbers. They also followed him for 7 blocks to build up these numbers in order to stop him, when there were FEWER cops I would have been like "well obviously what are they supposed to do? they're trained that a knife is a deadly weapon within 20 feet". But no they chose to open fire on this guy with a bunch of civies around, in front of a building with large glass windows and civie vehicles around. Sure it went well this time, but if it didn't? Millions of dollars, tons of hassle, worth it? Not fucking really. If cops aren't willing to get hurt on the job and are willing to risk millions in damages or potential loss of civilian collateral damage, they're fucking retards.

PJABBER

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I looked at the video and read some of the stories. The perp was an unstable character, had 10 arrests, including seven for marijuana possession, police said, and had been hospitalized for psychiatric observation after knocking down garbage cans in Times Square. One of his earlier busts was for going at cops with a screwdriver in the same manner. He was charged with criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment in that incident and served time on Rikers for it.

He was shot as he rushed with his knife at two cops getting out of their patrol vehicle. They couldn't retreat as they were blocked by the patrol vehicle.

Other officers shot the perp before he could stab the blocked cops.

We don't have actual video of the shooting, but the streets seem to have cleared out as the drama was moving over four blocks of 7th Ave. No stray shots identified.

Looks like a good shoot to me.

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005

It seems you're the only one raising concerns about possible risk to bystanders. I read through several articles on this, and some people seem to think the cops weren't justified in shooting the guy but none have claimed that it endangered onlookers.

Either way, this is going to be a justified shoot, legally speaking. He lunged at them with a knife, after prior attempts to use non-deadly force had failed. The cops can shoot under those circumstances. They don't have to try something that some Monday morning quarterback who didn't even see the shoot thinks they should have done instead.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I have issue with the situation in which they chose to open fire on this guy, not the fact they actually did it. I believe they nullified his threat to life with overwhelming numbers. They also followed him for 7 blocks to build up these numbers in order to stop him, when there were FEWER cops I would have been like "well obviously what are they supposed to do? they're trained that a knife is a deadly weapon within 20 feet". But no they chose to open fire on this guy with a bunch of civies around, in front of a building with large glass windows and civie vehicles around. Sure it went well this time, but if it didn't? Millions of dollars, tons of hassle, worth it? Not fucking really. If cops aren't willing to get hurt on the job and are willing to risk millions in damages or potential loss of civilian collateral damage, they're fucking retards.

If if if if if. What if he had a lightsaber instead. What if you finally got a clue. What if.

You're a moron if you think the cops should have risked being stabbed or mutilated to avoid shooting a dude in front of people. :rolleyes:

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I've been to times square numerous times during daytime, it is fucking CROWDED. I would be pissed of cops opened fire near me over something like that. Where the hell were the tasers? There were like 20 fucking cops there.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
1: Man had a knife, I guess.

2: WTF is a taser for, if not this EXACT situation?

micrometers

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Beautiful.

This is how the world should be.

1. Dude has no gun. He only has a knife. Why? b/c NYC has one of the strictest gun control regimes in the country.

2. There's no "concealed carry hero" walking in. Instead, there are trained police officers

3. The trained police officers only shooting him after macing him six times.

That is law and order, my friends!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zt7yN_Lu5c

What a lunatic to open fire in such a situation and I have to agree with the fool yelling "unjustified", how the fuck do you justify opening fire execution on a man in broad daylight whom you have outnumbered 20-30+ to 1 IN A CROWDED PUBLIC, WHAT THE FUCK? Seriously how have I not heard about this yet? There should be riots in NYC right now demanding the officer(s) that opened fire be brought up on charges(the civil response). Surprised there's not people trying to burn down police buildings atm.

Yes I realize he lunged at the officers, but it was quite the ridiculous shit all together. To still open fire around so many civilians is stupid and a poor judgement call. Pull out the batons and beat the fool down Rodney King style.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...8f22ca-e422-11e1-89f7-76e23a982d06_story.html

You do realize he came at the officers with a knife right?

Jan 25, 2011

Lol cops should be willing to get hurt? That's ridiculous. When I was on the job I wouldn't think twice about putting you down if it was a choice of you and me. What I should be OK with taking a machete to the head or elsewhere since I was a cop? My family should be ok with me being killed or disabled for life, ending my career due to injury because I'm a cop?

Let me tell you something. I went to work knowing every single day I could be involved in something that ended my life or career in a heartbeat. My wife and kids knew that too. For me, it happened. My career in law enforcement ended because of what happened to me on the job but I'll tell you there's not a chance in hell I was willing to be injured and I would have done everything in my power to prevent it given the chance.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
Lol cops should be willing to get hurt? That's ridiculous. When I was on the job I wouldn't think twice about putting you down if it was a choice of you and me. What I should be OK with taking a machete to the head or elsewhere since I was a cop? My family should be ok with me being killed or disabled for life, ending my career due to injury because I'm a cop?

Let me tell you something. I went to work knowing every single day I could be involved in something that ended my life or career in a heartbeat. My wife and kids knew that too. For me, it happened. My career in law enforcement ended because of what happened to me on the job but I'll tell you there's not a chance in hell I was willing to be injured and I would have done everything in my power to prevent it given the chance.

You know, there's something called a taser, it would have been FAR more preferable than shooting up the place in a crowded street. I'm sure at least one of the cops would have hit him with the taser.

Jan 25, 2011
You know, there's something called a taser, it would have been FAR more preferable than shooting up the place in a crowded street. I'm sure at least one of the cops would have hit him with the taser.

Yeah and I've seen their reliability in practice. Have you?

It's easy to sit back and criticize.