NY screws up handling Vicodin etc, urges rest of nation to do the same.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
They get happy enough to kill themselves??? That makes no sense to me but I am not a doctor so perhaps you're right.

I didn't say they get "happy enough" to kill themselves. It makes pretty good sense, actually. Some of the symptoms of major depression are lethargy, loss of interest, and lack of motivation/energy. These may be the reason a person who has a plan for suicide has not attempted it. If the medication starts to relieve these symptoms while the person is still experiencing other symptoms (guilt, suicidal ideations, cognition issues) it is quite possible they will have the new found motivation to kill themselves.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Actually, certain SSRI's like Cymbalta are supposed to help with the actual physical pain and aren't necessarily prescribed because any depression exists. The problem I have with that are the withdrawals, which we alredy discussed, the fact that it is a brain altering substance, and the itsy bitsy list of side effects.

Cymbalta may be associated with serious side effects. Call your healthcare provider right away or seek emergency help if you experience any of the following:

• Itching, right upper-belly pain, dark urine, yellow skin/eyes, or unexplained flu-like symptoms, which may be signs of life-threatening liver problems. Severe liver problems, some fatal, have been reported
  • High fever, confusion, stiff muscles, muscle twitching, or racing heart rate, which may be signs of serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening condition
  • Abnormal bleeding, especially if Cymbalta is taken with aspirin, NSAID pain relievers (like ibuprofen or naproxen), or blood thinners
  • Serious, possibly life-threatening skin reactions, which may include skin blisters, peeling rash, mouth sores, hives, or other allergic reactions
  • Abnormal mood (mania), which may include greatly increased energy, severe trouble sleeping, racing thoughts, talking more or faster than usual, and reckless behavior
  • Seizures or convulsions
  • Decreased blood pressure upon standing, which can cause dizziness or fainting, mostly when first starting or increasing the dose. Cymbalta can also increase blood pressure. Your healthcare provider should check your blood pressure prior to and while taking Cymbalta
  • Headache, weakness or feeling unsteady, confusion, problems concentrating, or memory problems, which may be signs of low sodium levels in the blood. Elderly people may be at greater risk
  • Problems with urination, including decreased flow or inability to pass any urine
  • Changes in appetite or weight. Children and adolescents should have height and weight monitored
  • People age 65 and older who took Cymbalta reported more falls, some resulting in serious injuries
Do not stop Cymbalta or change your dose without talking to your healthcare provider, as you could have side effects.

I mean........ seriously???

No wonder why these things have an increase chance of suicide, it isn't due to depression its from the damned side effects.
Agreed. Seems more and more than new drugs are worse than the things they purportedly treat.

And yes, your meter is broken; MomeNt's post was sarcasm.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Agreed. Seems more and more than new drugs are worse than the things they purportedly treat.

And yes, your meter is broken; MomeNt's post was sarcasm.

That's no joke. What I find really fucked up is societies aversion to addiction/dependence. For instance, someone that is diabetic needs insulin injections for the rest of their life, without them, they die. Some that needs opiates to control pain will likely need them the rest of their life, or they can't function, really what's the difference?I mean seriously, besides the physical dependence, and social taboo of them, opiates are literally some of the most gentle drugs on the human system. People point to long term changes in brain function, well guess what, that happens with MOST drugs, especially SSRI, and the other side effects, and withdrawals are MUCH worse. It's just ridiculous.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I didn't say they get "happy enough" to kill themselves. It makes pretty good sense, actually. Some of the symptoms of major depression are lethargy, loss of interest, and lack of motivation/energy. These may be the reason a person who has a plan for suicide has not attempted it. If the medication starts to relieve these symptoms while the person is still experiencing other symptoms (guilt, suicidal ideations, cognition issues) it is quite possible they will have the new found motivation to kill themselves.

I guess that makes a little sense.... Its still difficult to grasp that a person is depressed, we give them something that helps relieve their depression, and it has the potential to work too good at relieving said depression which can lead to the less depressed person committing suicide.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
That's no joke. What I find really fucked up is societies aversion to addiction/dependence. For instance, someone that is diabetic needs insulin injections for the rest of their life, without them, they die. Some that needs opiates to control pain will likely need them the rest of their life, or they can't function, really what's the difference?I mean seriously, besides the physical dependence, and social taboo of them, opiates are literally some of the most gentle drugs on the human system. People point to long term changes in brain function, well guess what, that happens with MOST drugs, especially SSRI, and the other side effects, and withdrawals are MUCH worse. It's just ridiculous.

Can someone explain to me how medically addiction to opiods is any different than an addiction to say a SSRI? I ask because I have never heard anyone talk about someone being addicted to SSRIs yet I know two people who can not quit them. They have both tried, one of them has tried 5 times and she just can't get through the withdrawals.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

easy. "war on drugs"

the fact that some abuse them (very small minority) means they have to keep them from people.

they ignore the fact that many NEED these pills to even get through the day. Then you have the pharmaceutical company's lobbying saying they have something "safer" that does just as good a job.

i have tried many different meds. only things that have helped keep the pain down to a tolerable measure have been real pain meds.

though lyrica is a god send but it does not totally end the pain. it sure does help though.

Also in another forum i we had a debate about pain meds. say you have a person who really needs these to function through the day.

If they take the meds they MAY get addicted (that is another debate) but they can work and be a productive member of society. IF they don't take them sure they won't get addicted but then many CAN'T work so they go on welfare, ssdi etc.

i know for me i would rather take the risk of addiction and enjoy life.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Can someone explain to me how medically addiction to opiods is any different than an addiction to say a SSRI? I ask because I have never heard anyone talk about someone being addicted to SSRIs yet I know two people who can not quit them. They have both tried, one of them has tried 5 times and she just can't get through the withdrawals.

Aside from the physical effects of the drugs themselves ...nothing. My pain management doc tried to push that Cymbalta shit on me, I tried it a couple times and immediate quit, that shit made me feel way too weird, and the last thing I need is yet another drug that if I can't get for some reason I feel sick from not having. Withdrawals from opiates are bad enough, I can't imagine withdrawals from antidepressants on top of that, insanity.

Our countries whole approach to opiate dependence is completely fucked. Our two big substitutes are methadone, and suboxone, both are nothing more that replacing one drug for another. Hell, if we are going to do that we might as well look at Sweden's rehab, or fuck even Canada's Insight. If we're going to keep people on drugs, just in a controlled environment why substitute one addiction for another just because it's more socially acceptable?

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
easy. "war on drugs"

the fact that some abuse them (very small minority) means they have to keep them from people.

Exactly. And that's what's so fucked up, the people that are legitimately prescribed them are the easiest to target, it's the junkies that are off radar tht are too hard to find so real patients suffer in the name of WoD™.

they ignore the fact that many NEED these pills to even get through the day. Then you have the pharmaceutical company's lobbying saying they have something "safer" that does just as good a job.

i have tried many different meds. only things that have helped keep the pain down to a tolerable measure have been real pain meds.

though lyrica is a god send but it does not totally end the pain. it sure does help though.

I wish there was something like Lyrica for me, but my injuries are literal damage from accidents, and the only thing that works, and I have tried it all, are opiates. Injections, anti-inflammatory meds, steroids, whatever, waste of time and money.

Also in another forum i we had a debate about pain meds. say you have a person who really needs these to function through the day.

If they take the meds they MAY get addicted (that is another debate) but they can work and be a productive member of society. IF they don't take them sure they won't get addicted but then many CAN'T work so they go on welfare, ssdi etc.

i know for me i would rather take the risk of addiction and enjoy life.

I've had this debate with family, and friends, I finally got them to understand, it isn't about the dependence, it's about being able to get up, and go to work for 8 hours a day, and then come home and play with my son ...quality of life. They finally got over the stigma.