NWN2 Feed Back and Patch Discussion Thread

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Ok, rundown so far:

[*]Random crashes (about 5% of the time when I zoned) are gone, started having these with 1.05 (I never played 1.04, quit to wait for bug fixes in the 1.03 days)!
[*]Neeshka's tail is back (and there was much rejoicing)
[*]Circle of Alignment Protection now displays the buff on party members properly
[*]Arrows bought from vendors are no longer bought per stack... charged for a stack and get just one, sounds like my university's accounting system!
[*]Seeing a few minor artifacts here and there, I think it may have something to do with them altering the lighting, nothing really distracting though.

Its a beta, so I am sure these will get ironed out. :thumbsup: for ongoing patch support even if the game is not a best seller!

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Patch 1.06 Notes

Quote: Neverwinter Nights 2 ? Version 1.06 Patch Notes
May 11th, 2007

New Features
Custom Content
? Several new UI customizability features. Among them, users can now set textures on UI objects via script, and users can set the state of progress bars via script.
? Spells that have multiple casting modes can now be cast from items (i.e., protection from evil, meteor swarm).
Scripting
? Many new script functions have been added.
o SetGUIObjectTexture()
o UIObject_Misc_ExtractData()
o UIObject_OnRadial_DisplayCustomRadial()
o UIObject_Input_ActionTargetScript()
o GetInfiniteFlag()
o SetInfiniteFlag()
o GetKeyRequiredFeedbackMessage()
o SetKeyRequiredFeedbackMessage()
o GetPickpocketableFlag()
o SetPickpocketableFlag()
o GetTrapActive()
o SetWillSavingThrow() (Used for Doors and Placeables only)
o SetReflexSavingThrow() (Used for Doors and Placeables only)
o SetFortitudeSavingThrow() (Used for Doors and Placeables only)
o SetLockKeyRequired()
o SetLockKeyTag()
o SetLockLockDC()
o SetLockUnlockDC()
o SetLockLockable()
o SetHardness()
o GetHardness()
o GetAreaSize()
o SetUseableFlag()
o GetPlaceableLastClickedBy()
o SetGUIProgressBarPosition()
o IntToObject()
o ObjectToInt()
? Placeables now have an ****** event. This event will fire whenever a user clicks a placeable, regardless of whether the user can currently path to it.
? EffectSetScale() can now be used to scale creatures non-uniformally along different axes.
? SpeakOneLineConversation() now has a volume parameter that understands Whispers and Shouts.
? GetAttribute() now takes a parameter called nBaseAttribute=FALSE. If made TRUE, then the value returned will be the creature's BASE attribute instead of total.
? CreateItemOnObject() now has a 4th parameter that allows users to set the tag of the created item.
Toolset
? Undo and Redo now work for Terrain, Grass, and Water painting.
? There are several new hot keys that alter Brush size and pressure in the toolset:
o [ Brush size down 1
o Shift + [ Brush outer size down 1
o ] Brush size up 1
o Shift + ] Brush outer size up 1
o - Pressure down 10%
o Shift + - Pressure down 25%
o = Pressure up 10%
o Shift + = Pressure up 25%
? The Flatten tool has been modified to more gradually slope between its inner and outer height. Additionally, a Pressure setting has been added to the tool to determine how rapidly it applies the change, and the Inner value is now capped at 0 instead of 1.
? A new Cliff_08 texture has been added.
? Higher resolution normal maps have been added to the Cliff_04 and Cliff_05 textures.
Bug Fixes
General
? ?Greater Weapon Specialization (Light Hammer)? will no longer show up as ?Greater Weapon Specialization (Flail)?
? The Dedicated Server will now load modules from directories as well as from .mod files. To load a module directory from the command line, use the following parameter:
-moduledir <module name>
? Specular Lighting has been improved. Shiny objects should now look better than before.
? Trees and Objects that fade no longer lose their directional light shadow when faded out.
Scripting
? ActionRest() will now properly utilize the bIgnoreNoRestFlag parameter.
? EffectHeal() can now restore the HP of doors and placeables.
? SetTrapActive() now works on Doors and Placeables as well as triggers.
? SetOrientOnDialog() now functions properly.
? ExportAllCharacters() and ExportSingleCharacters() will write to the server vault.

Effects/Spells/Domains
? Bestow Curse now reduces all of the target?s ability scores by 3 rather than 2.
? Energy Drain no longer allows a saving throw.
? The War Domain has been renamed to the Fury Domain, to allow future implementation of a more D&D-accurate War Domain.
Fixes from v1.06 Beta:
? The Turn Undead ability will now function properly.
? Druids, Rangers and Clerics w/ Animal Domain can properly select their animal companions.
? The toolset will no longer throw an unhandled exception when bringing up the ?Will Not Buy?? and ?Will Not Sell?? dialogues on store properties.
2DA Changes
The following 2DA files have been changed in v1.06:
? ambientmusic.2da
? appearance.2da
? crafting.2da
? disease.2da
? doortypes.2da
? iprp_bonushp.2da
? iprp_monsterhit.2da
? soundset.2da
? spells.2da
? terrainmaterials.2daW
? visualeffects.2da

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Excellent, going to play through it again when 1.07 is released (or at least play some of the community made modules)

Any persistent worlds up that I can get some good roleplaying in on?

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
odd, i can't get 1.06 through the autopatcher.

It hasn't technically been released yet. People on the forums found it on the Atari FTP server over Memorial Day weekend and began using it. Its supposed to officially launch on Tuesday, June 5, I believe. One of the Devs said in one of the threads that there wouldn't be any more changes to the 1.06 patch though, so the patch notes are good.

Edit - I believe this is the longest thread that I have ever created. :)

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
odd, i can't get 1.06 through the autopatcher.

It hasn't technically been released yet. People on the forums found it on the Atari FTP server over Memorial Day weekend and began using it. Its supposed to officially launch on Tuesday, June 5, I believe. One of the Devs said in one of the threads that there wouldn't be any more changes to the 1.06 patch though, so the patch notes are good.

oh ok :)

and congratulations? :p

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Bateluer

with a little help from Atari and some of us pretty vocal haters

looks like it might actually be "playable" ... pretty soon ... what is it ... 7 months after release? ... i see Atari is finally cracking the whip on these lazy devs

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex
is there a NWN2 demo out?
No and there will not be one (at least according to the stuff that they have said over at ataricommunity.com)
i see Atari is finally cracking the whip on these lazy devs
Well, it was Atari that forced the game to be released before it had gone through enough testing (for Infogrames' financial situation required the sales), content was also cut to meet Infogrames' deadlines (from what I have heard over at the nwn2 forums, the people who have gone through the shipping OC with the editor have found a considerable amount of dialog and content that was not implemented in the shipping game, similar to how LucasArts forced KotOR2 to ship far too early and Obsidian was forced to cut an entire chapter from the game to meet LucasArts' deadline, but Obsidian was nice enough to leave the unfinished content on the game discs unimplemented (which is why we have the Sith Lords restoration project), although NWN2's cut content was not nearly as extensive as LucasArts' KotOR2 butchering), and finally InfoGrames was also the one that forced the game to ship with Sony's SecuROM 7 DRM software, I hardly consider Infogrames (Atari) to be the good guys here, but at least they are not forcing Obsidian to kill of support for it like they tried to pull with Bioware and NWN1 when NWN2 was close to being released (fortunately, Bioware won that fight and we still have premium modules and the possibility for a new NWN1 patch) in order to help SilverFall sales.

I wish BlackIsle Studios (interplay) was still around, they seemed to be a good publisher / developer compared to the EA / Atari clone publishers that we have now.

Best case scenario is that Infogrames gets bought out by the same private equities firm that bought out Bioware and puts Bioware's (or BlackIsle Studio's former) management in charge of it's North American operations (or at least over the roleplaying games), but that has about the same chance of happening as me finding a gibberling in real life.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Does it really matter what day they release the expansion? I'm more concerned about them polishing this release a more than the original game.

Incidentally, I think NWN2 has received more patches and support than any previous Obsidian game.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
1.07 Information up

http://forums.obsidianent.com/...omodule=blog&blogid=2&

Multi-Select
The Multi-select system is going through a simple overhaul. The first part of which, that you should see, is that now, multi-selected parties should be able to perform their default actions. This means you will be able to open doors, pick locks, etc. without having to de-select your group now. Other changes will be forth-coming, but so far, this is the big change.

DM Console Commands in 1.07
I have been receiving a lot of requests for what script commands we are making available to DMs in the 1.07 patch. To answer this question I am going to post a good number of them, along with their descriptions:

SetCHA : Set the currently targeted creature to the specified CHA.
SetCON : Set the currently targeted creature to the specified CON.
SetDEX : Set the currently targeted creature to the specified DEX.
SetDieRollMode : Usage: 'SetDieRollMode (0/1/2). 0 = normal random die rolling. 1 = minimum die rolls. 2 = maximum die rolls.'
SetINT : Set the currently targeted creature to the specified INT.
SetSTR : Set the currently targeted creature to the specified STR.
SetWIS : Set the currently targeted creature to the specified WIS.
command : 'command <MATCH>' will return all commands that include any characters in the MATCH sequence.
commands : 'commands <MATCH>' will return all commands that include any characters in the MATCH sequence.
dm_getvarfloat : Returns the value of the specified variable.
dm_getvarint : Returns the value of the specified variable.
dm_getvarobject : Returns the value of the specified variable.
dm_getvarstring : Returns the value of the specified variable.
dm_giveXP : Gives the specified amount of XP to the current target.
dm_givegold : Gives the specified amount of gold to the current target.
dm_god : Turn player character invincible.
dm_jumptopoint : Jump to the specified points. Syntax is: float float.
dm_modifyage : Your current target will have its age adjusted by the value specified. Positive values will cause an increase, while negative values will cause a decrease.
dm_setCR : Your current target will have its challenge rating set to the value specified.
dm_setage : Your current target will have its age set to the value specified.
dm_setattackbase : Your current target will have its base attack bonus set to the value specified.
dm_setfaction : Your current target will have its faction set to the one specified in the command line.
dm_setfactionreputation : Where: faction1 and faction2 are the names of factions. x is an integer value indicating the value to set the reputation value to. Description: This function will set the reputation value for how faction2 feels about faction1 (0 is hostile, 100 is friendly).
dm_setspellresistance : Your current target will have its spell resistance set to the value specified.
dm_setvarfloat : Sets variable specified to the given value.
dm_setvarint : Sets variable specified to the given value.
dm_setvarobject : Sets variable specified to the given value.
dm_setvarstring : Sets variable specified to the given value.
givefeat : Usage: 'givefeat FEATID'
giveitem : Usage: 'giveitem ITEMTEMPLATE <AMOUNT>' Will create an item and add it to you inventory. If you don't specify an amount, it is assumed to be one.
givespell : Usage: 'givespell SPELLID SLOT'
givexp : Usage: 'givexp <AMOUNT>' Will give the supplied number of experience points, or enough to level up if no number is supplied
logcommands :
loggameeffects : Usage: 'loggameeffects'
logrunscript :
logserverai : Usage: 'logserverai'
portraitsave :
rain :
removefeat : Usage: 'removefeat FEATID'
resetlevels : Usage: 'resetlevels <OBJECT> <EXP>'
resetpackage :
resetstats :
resourcestats :
rs : Usage: 'runscript SCRIPTFILE <TARGET>' Will run the script. If <TARGET> is a valid object, the script will be run with that object as OBJECT_SELF.
runscript : Usage: 'runscript SCRIPTFILE <TARGET>' Will run the script. If <TARGET> is a valid object, the script will be run with that object as OBJECT_SELF.
takedamage : Usage: 'takedamage DAMAGE <TARGET>' - DAMAGE can be any number greater than zero. <TARGET> (optional) is the tag of the object you are trying to target
unpolymorph : Usage: 'unpolymorph'
usebehavior : Usage: 'usebehavior NUMBER' This will change the currently controlled creature to use designated behavior set from the NWN2_BehaviorParams.2da
usescriptset : Usage: 'usescriptset NUMBER' This will change the currently controlled creature to use designated script set from the nwn2_scriptsets.2da

MoTB Camera Changes
In Mask of The Betrayer, we will be implementing something called Play Modes. This will replace the current camera/control scheme in NWN2 with something a little bit more streamlined. Basically, there will be two play modes that can be configured from the Game Options screen - Character Mode and Strategy Mode. These modes will affect both the function of the camera and the controls for each mode, and are designed to be most efficient for the two primary styles of play ? controlling a single character, and controlling a full party.

In Character Mode, the camera follows behind and over the shoulder of the currently controlled character. This mode is useful for getting a good look at your surroundings and exploring an area while focused on controlling an individual character.
While in Character Mode, by default, holding the Left Mouse Button down and moving the mouse to the left or right will turn the character. You can also turn by moving the mouse to the edge of the screen. Holding down the Middle Mouse Button or pressing the Arrow keys will allow you to rotate the camera around the currently controlled character.

Strategy Mode is a top down Play Mode that is intended to make controlling a full party easier. This mode is most useful for controlling combat situations involving a full party of characters against a large number of enemies.
In Strategy Mode, by default, you can hold the Left Mouse Button to have your character move towards the mouse cursor. You can rotate the camera either by holding the Middle Mouse Button and moving the mouse, by moving the mouse cursor to the edge of the screen, or by pressing the Arrow Keys.
Strategy Mode can also be configured to play more like a Real-Time Strategy game, with the camera unfocused from the currently character and with Marquee Select - the ability to click and drag a box around a character to control individual or multiple characters. Please see the Options Menu section for more details.

It's important to remember, that this functionality is a Work in Progress and may change before the release of the Mask of The Betrayer expansion.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
glad to see they're still supporting NWN2. as long as MoTB gets good reviews, I'll pick it up. And if NWN2's online community becomes anything like NWN (it hadn't last i checked), it'll be great indeed.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
MotB E3 video up (with in game footage):

http://gametrailers.com/player/22287.html

Apparently I was at work when you posted this, missed it.

Looks like they are adding some cool things to the expansion. I'll definitely be picking up within a week or two of its release.

With the environmental effects they are adding to the maps, I really hope they optimized the engine up more.

The Genosi environmental race looks really cool. Flaming hair. :D

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Got the game yesterday and played it most of the day (slcaking off on my own game work).

It's awesome. An order of magnitude better than the original.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Originally posted by: aCynic2
Got the game yesterday and played it most of the day (slcaking off on my own game work).

I'm having a hard time getting into it. I hate the inventory system, the way skills/feats are listed, and that you have to examine each item to view the stats and can't do a compare. It feels so cumbersome, I'm trying hard though...

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: TheUnk

I'm having a hard time getting into it. I hate the inventory system, the way skills/feats are listed, and that you have to examine each item to view the stats and can't do a compare. It feels so cumbersome, I'm trying hard though...

Why not grab a player made UI mod from NWVault?
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.ph...list&show_days_back=10

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
Wow this thread is huge. I'll definitely grab the expansion because the main campaign was excellent.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
Originally posted by: Schadenfroh
Originally posted by: TheUnk

Why not grab a player made UI mod from NWVault?
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.ph...list&show_days_back=10

Frickin sweet! This is the game NWN should have been, but I guess you have to have an intermediate step.