NVIDIA Volta Rumor Thread

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
Without trying to read your link since I'm not German, I'm assuming this is after Volta?

Volta is a pure compute oriented architecture with no new graphic features and won't come to gaming. Ampere will now be Volta - HPC Stuff + more advanced Graphic Features. Since the differences between HPC and gaming are growing, Nvidia decided to call the architecture different.

PeterScott

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2017
In related news

NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” – Will Be Announced at GTC 2018

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...eftiger-Gewinnsprung-dank-Gaming-3887633.html

Now considering this is just a rumor and no other details are mentioned, it’s advised to take this information with a grain of salt.

It's really just a name change, which is kind of irrelevant. GTC is at the end of March, and rumors indicate they won't be shipping for months after that. Well over 2 year on the same series.

NVidia really gets to sit back and milk GPU designs these days.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Volta is a pure compute oriented architecture with no new graphic features and won't come to gaming. Ampere will now be Volta - HPC Stuff + more advanced Graphic Features. Since the differences between HPC and gaming are growing, Nvidia decided to call the architecture different.

Yes. It does look like NV will be forking it's graphics GPUs to 'compute' and 'gaming gfx'. Makes sense given how compute has developed into a financially significant market. I imagine there will be a fair bit of overlap in R&D to keep costs down - it'll be interesting to see if the SM structures are pretty much the same.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Gaming and HPC architecture has already been forked: GP100 vs GP<everything else>. I suppose this rumor is about the formal recognition of the fork.

Bier667

Oct 31, 2017

WTF?

From the german article quoted on newssites:
AS said:
But Nvidia is not asleep and the Volta successor Ampere (ups, the name is still secret) could in a year perhaps strengthen again...
https://www.heise.de/ct/ausgabe/2017-16-Von-Mode-und-neuen-Kleidern-3774615.html

Volta -> Ampere

And as Bouowmx pointed out allready Nvidia has the Tesla only G100 (1:2 DP,Tensorcores...) and G102/104 HPC parts for Quadro, Tesla and Gaming (1:32DP , no Tensorcores...).

Trumpstyle

Jul 18, 2015
In related news

NVIDIA Next Generation GPU Rumored To Be Called “Ampere” – Will Be Announced at GTC 2018

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/mel...eftiger-Gewinnsprung-dank-Gaming-3887633.html

Now considering this is just a rumor and no other details are mentioned, it’s advised to take this information with a grain of salt.

Most likely "Ampere" is volta replacement which will be announced on GTC 2018. It will be 10 nm and replace GV100.

I still believe we will see volta geforce Gpus in feb-march with gddr6. Keep in mind regarding this rumor that Nvidia never launches geforce cards at GTC events. So this Ampere rumor is probably about a replacement card for GV100 on 10 nm.

Bier667

Oct 31, 2017
I still believe we will see volta geforce Gpus in feb-march with gddr6.

GV102 for Tesla/Quadro/Titan could be a possibility. As for the Geforce Lineup: i have my deepest doubts.

Trumpstyle

Jul 18, 2015
Most likely "Ampere" is volta replacement which will be announced on GTC 2018. It will be 10 nm and replace GV100.

I still believe we will see volta geforce Gpus in feb-march with gddr6. Keep in mind regarding this rumor that Nvidia never launches geforce cards at GTC events. So this Ampere rumor is probably about a replacement card for GV100 on 10 nm.

After further thoughts, Ampere is probably just the successor to Volta. It will be announced at GTC 2018 but we won't see any gpus from this architecture intill 2019 and it will be on 7nm. Volta Geforce still will be released at feb-march with gddr6.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
Ampere just sounds like the consumer fork of Nvidia's post-Pascal architecture, where as Volta is the HPC variant with tensor cores. Also the names Volta and Ampere are perfect for each fork of the post-Pascal architecture given the relationship between voltage and current.

Reactions: William Gaatjes

Trumpstyle

Jul 18, 2015
Another source saying Volta is being dropped for Ampere.

http://www.3dcenter.org/news/nvidia...bringt-im-q22018-gleich-die-ampere-generation

Used a translation tool so everything I write might not be 100% accurate. A natural born speaking german can probably do a better job translating than me.

But the article states that they seen the internal roadmap and volta has been dropped and replaced by Ampere. Ampere will be using TSMC 10nm.

Volta gaming gpus was planned but 12nm from TSMC was just not good enough for a decent performance gain they think. Most likely (my opinion) Nvidia saw they got get better margins using 10nm over 12nm. As a GV104 with 400 mm^2 die size would probably give a 50-70% performance increase. But these ampere gpus should be released in q2 2018.

Anyway with 2 sites saying Volta is being dropped for ampere it most likely true. 1 site saying q2 release and another says expect announcement at gtc 2018 (march 26).

Only thing that is unclear if Ampere will replace GV100 (article does not say), it would make sense go to 10nm for better yields and margins.

Samwell

May 10, 2015
@Trumpstyle

No, they haven't seen any roadmaps. They're just guessing and expecting a node jump, but have no information about it. The internal roadmap stuff ist about the name Ampere and other people seeing this roadmaps. But at the moment only the name is clear.

Beside the name the only info which we know is the stuff from Drive PX Pegasus. Pegasus seems to have an Ampere GPU which gives us the information, that some Ampere gpu is also having tensor cores. These Tensor cores will probably work with lower precision as the volta tensor cores, so they will be smaller. V100 is FP16 Multipli and FP32 accumulate, which can be used for training. Ampere might have FP8/FP16 tensor cores for inference. You can even calculate a possible shader number by looking at Pegasus TOPS ;)

I don't believe in 10nm. Everything indicates 12nm at the moment. Why would TSMC make some changes for Nvidia for 12FFN if it's only for V100 and Xavier (Even if the process changes are very small)? I believe the whole next gen will be 12nm this way Nvidia convinced TSMC to make a costum node for Nvidia.

Last edited:

Bier667

Oct 31, 2017

Your comment is so full of (redacted) as with the president of the undited states. We from europe have a different taste of what could happend or not: i think the Balkan makes us to this.

Anyway: you american guys are rly funny.

/edit
there ain't a 10nm node.

Moderator Edit:
Profanity and personal attacks are not allowed in technical forums. Political discussion belongs in the Politics & News forum. Please keep this in mind when posting outside of the Social forums. -IEC

Last edited by a moderator:

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
It's happening???? Fooled me pretty well if it's fake.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/7ibzan/whats_this_titan_v/

EDIT: It really is happening: https://twitter.com/NVIDIAAIDev/status/938972107819532288
Jensen Huang surprises #NIPS2017 attendees by announcing the new NVIDIA #TITANV.

xr6yhht0am201.jpg

Last edited:

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/titan/titan-v/?ncid=so-you-tnv-29059#shop

3 Grand! Though I am sure there is someone on these forums that will buy one.

Specs:
Graphics Processing Clusters 6
Streaming Multiprocessors 80
Cuda Cores 5120
Texture Units 320
Base Clock 1200 MHz
Boost Clock 1455 MHz
Memory Clock 850 MHz
Memory Data Rate 1.7 Gbps
L2 Cache Size 4608K
Total Memory 12288 MB HBM2
Memory Interface 3072-bit
Total Memory Bandwidth 652.8GB/s
Texture Rate (Bilinear) 384 GigaTextels/sec
Fabrication Process 12nm
Transistor Count 21.1 Billion
Connector 3 x Displayport, 1 x HDMI
Power Connectors One 6-pin, One 8-pin
Recommended Power Supply 600 Watts
Thermal Design Power (TDP) 250 Watts
Thermal Threshold 91C

Last edited:

slashy16

Mar 24, 2017
Its sad how far ahead Nvidia is now. Hopefully AMD catches up and doesn't fall 3 generations behind.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
AMD has the same chances with a high-end GPU as Microsoft has in selling the Xbox in Japan.

On point though, it seems that NVIDIA has finally stopped being wishy-washy about what the Titan range is supposed to be. This is exactly the same as the Tesla V100 except for the cut down memory.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I guessed $2,000 if Volta came this year. I thought I had reached high enough, but I guess not. $3,000, wow. It makes sense though considering how much faster it is and how soon it came. Its an early next gen Titan and doesn't seem to be using a small die. That's a big die real deal card right there. Hopefully it kicks major ass and gives us a clue about the next Ti's performance, so long as that Ti doesn't cost $1,500 or something (probably will).

I expect at least one particular forum member to buy two of them with that $600 SLI bridge. Let us know when you got those benchies! You know who you are and so do we.

Yotsugi

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2017
I guessed $2,000 is Volta came this year. I thought I had reached high enough, but I guess not. $3,000, wow. It makes sense though considering how much faster it is and how soon it came. Its an early next gen Titan and doesn't seem to be using a small die. That's a big die real deal card right there. Hopefully it kicks major ass and gives us a clue about the next Ti's performance, so long as that Ti doesn't cost $1,500 or something (probably will).
Its barely faster than GP102 in FP32.
For all intends and purposes, that's not a consumer card.