Nvidia Titan X (p) owners thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ShoNuff

Nov 26, 2000
This thread is a good read. Some of you guys ordered early...really early. I've been trying to talk myself out of it for the past month but couldn't do it. I ordered a pair very early this AM (5:30 PST) and was hoping they would ship today as well. Still says "Pending".:confused:

So, how loud are they on air compared to the aftermarket (think non-founders edition) GTX 1080 coolers? My evga FTW 1080's can get loud when the temps approach the 70c barrier. I usually game with my headphones on so it isn't an issue. My plan is to put them under water in about a month or so. No rush for me now but reviewer feedback suggests H20 is the best way to go for now.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
This thread is a good read. Some of you guys ordered early...really early. I've been trying to talk myself out of it for the past month but couldn't do it. I ordered a pair very early this AM (5:30 PST) and was hoping they would ship today as well. Still says "Pending".:confused:

So, how loud are they on air compared to the aftermarket (think non-founders edition) GTX 1080 coolers? My evga FTW 1080's can get loud when the temps approach the 70c barrier. I usually game with my headphones on so it isn't an issue. My plan is to put them under water in about a month or so. No rush for me now but reviewer feedback suggests H20 is the best way to go for now.

I've got my Titan X and my brother's 1080 under water (980ti hybrid cooler) and I couldn't be happier with the thermals, acoustics and overclocks.

ShoNuff

Nov 26, 2000
Thanks for the input Annisman. I am seriously considering the Aquacomputer solution for the Titan X. It is a sexy block and I am glad to see AC is now using G1/4 threads. This should allow me a lot more plumbing options.

I have used AC blocks in the past and even with lower flow, they performed well. If they release a nickel plated version I would definitely buy it. It would compliment my build theme perfectly. I have time as my cards haven't even shipped yet. Hopefully today!

Reactions: Annisman*

ShoNuff

Nov 26, 2000
Just got my cards installed this afternoon. My knee jerk reaction is WOW!!! While purely anecdotal, I would say that game play in Crysis 3 with EVERYTHING maxed out is smoother at 3440x1440. Frame rates seem to always be in the low 70's, high 60's when I would glance at the FPS clock. I did a quick Firestrike Ultra test and the improvement above and beyond my 1080's was consistent with what others have published. While 100% playable with my previous cards, I did not notice any lag during game play at all with Crysis 3. I am curious to see how the cards perform under different gameplay scenarios as well.

The Titan's do get hot. I was watching the temps during the Heaven benchmark and they got as high as 84c with a fan speed max of 75% My previous cards with the aftermarket cooling solution rarely exceeded 75c. Like others have said, these cards will really come to life under water.

Here is a quick comparison...off to play with these puppies a bit more.

sub-80

Jan 11, 2014
My second question: the 980Ti had the same fps output as the Titan X (2015) with 1-2 fps less at some points at 4K gaming so why get the Titan X (P) when the 1080Ti might be the same performance with better cooling and less cost?

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
For an honest answer you have to look at how they marketed it. They under clocked the Titan and sold it as such. When overclocked the Titan X nearly always beat the 980ti. Even now when the day the TXP does 11 teraflops that's at 1513MHz. But we all use them at 2050+ MHz. If a 1080ti comes out it will be much better value. But the TXP is meant for people who need the absolute best and need it now.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Finally put it under water. Took the cooler straight off the TXM and actually switched the coolers out. The shroud goes back on the TXM. The TXP of course is half shroudless. There is enough to keep air flowing over the VRMs.

I did a few tests with OCCT and GPU-Z. Even though I can't see VRM temps, it will clock higher if the fan is set to above 50% to cool the VRMs. I personally would not let the fan sit at auto. I wish I could put heatsinks on at least some of the VRMs.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Deus Ex MD and Watch Dogs 2 came out since the last post and both prompted me to get a Titan XP. My old 1080 had slowdowns at near max and max settings in both, so I had to do something & didn't want to mess with Sli. Even though the XP chugs at max settings in Watch Dogs 2, it's still noticeably faster at near max/max settings in both games.

I'm mainly into eye candy for games and you could argue that there's no difference between 4x Msaa and 8x Msaa in both games. But I'd have to disagree, i notice they look better at 8x on the monitor below, hence entered the Titan XP.

--------------------------
i7 6700 3.4ghz || Titan XP || Win 10 Home || AsRock H110M-DGS || DDR4 Crucial 16gb
Toshiba HD 1tb || Onboard Sound || Cooler Master 750W || 27” Samsung Lcd 2560x1440

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Deus Ex MD and Watch Dogs 2 came out since the last post and both prompted me to get a Titan XP. My old 1080 had slowdowns at near max and max settings in both, so I had to do something & didn't want to mess with Sli. Even though the XP chugs at max settings in Watch Dogs 2, it's still noticeably faster at near max/max settings in both games.

I'm mainly into eye candy for games and you could argue that there's no difference between 4x Msaa and 8x Msaa in both games. But I'd have to disagree, i notice they look better at 8x on the monitor below, hence entered the Titan XP.

--------------------------
i7 6700 3.4ghz || Titan XP || Win 10 Home || AsRock H110M-DGS || DDR4 Crucial 16gb
Toshiba HD 1tb || Onboard Sound || Cooler Master 750W || 27” Samsung Lcd 2560x1440

It's not the Titan XP that's chugging in Watchdogs, its CPU. That game is a massive CPU hog. Even a max overclock 6700k bottlenecks it. (gamernexus benchmark is using a 1080)
watch-dogs-cpu-benchmark_2500k.png

wd2_proz.png

Luckily they did a really good job of threading it out, so it will use up to 8 cores / 16 threads.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Yeah they did a nice job with multicore scaling, which is refreshing for a game that's CPU bound