Nvidia ready to counter AMD`s Mantle

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
#1:
John Carmack: Nvidia’s OpenGL extensions and AMD’s Mantle offer similar improvements over DirectX
:thumbsup:
In response to a question regarding the potential of AMD’s Mantle API, industry veteran John Carmack stated that Nvidia’s OpenGL extensions can offer similar improvements over DirectX. Nvidia has aided Valve in the development of SteamOS, and aims to boost the potential of its hardware with improved driver performance via the OpenGL API
http://gearnuke.com/john-carmack-nv...ntle-offer-similar-improvements-over-directx/

#2:
Nvidia announces Gameworks Program
intro_3.jpg

To help simplify these tasks for game developers and visual artists, NVIDIA has announced its new GameWorks program, a multi-platform solution aimed at empowering developers with the tools to help them create better graphics experiences.

GameWorks is essentially is comprised of three key pillars - research done by 300 world-class engineers; a library of SDKs, technology and algorithms; and finally developer tools.

Along with GameWorks, NVIDIA has announced three new SDKs - Flex, GI Works and Flame Works. These three SDKs hopes to solve classically challenging tasks and problems.
http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-news-nvidia-announces-its-gameworks-program

#3:
Particularly interesting is GIWorks, which should be of great benefit to game artists. Developers are used to pre-baking GI elements into their game worlds in order to cut back on resources. This leads to difficulties for artists every time a certain element requires an update. GIWorks is fully real-time, however, and Nvidia claims that it is a less taxing solution for developers. While the algorithms are complex, it should simplify several things for game developers.
http://gearnuke.com/nvidia-announces-gameworks-program-montreal-2013-supports-steamos/

:thumbsup:

GameWorks in Action

We’ve dispatched our engineers to work onsite with top game developers and add effects, fix bugs, tweak performance, and train developers in open standards and work hand-in-hand with our game laboratory.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/the-way-its-meant-to-be-played

Last edited:

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Cloudfire serious question, do you work for Nvidia?

On what Carmack said, similar means, uh could mean almost anything. Also how does he know what Mantle can do anyway?

Warning issued for callout.
-- stahlhart

Last edited by a moderator:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
funny how most times, when one company launches something the other magically has something ready to counter. and why has it taken this damn long to figure out a more efficient way to do things?

AnandThenMan

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2004
Mantle is a new API designed to leverage hardware from consoles to PC's, I don't see how anything Nvidia has is comparable. Also if OpenGL can offer similar improvements to Mantle (whatever that may be, we don't know yet) then why hasn't it been done long ago? OpenGL is not exactly new.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
funny how most times, when one company launches something the other magically has something ready to counter. and why has it taken this damn long to figure out a more efficient way to do things?

They have been slowplaying GPUs and software in sake of profit.
Pretty sickening when you think about it actually

gameworks sound like throw more money at publishers
Mantle is different how?

Last edited:

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
Mantle is a new API designed to leverage hardware from consoles to PC's, I don't see how anything Nvidia has is comparable. Also if OpenGL can offer similar improvements to Mantle (whatever that may be, we don't know yet) then why hasn't it been done long ago? OpenGL is not exactly new.

AMD is working on their opengl drivers as well so theres nothing new in steamos town.

Erenhardt

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2012
So they want to counter it by pushing physx to every game? How is that for a counter?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008

Because AMD did something so Nvidia must now counter.

I was just saying I was happy about Mantle because Nvidia would also release a counter and we'd get more and more competition! More competition to deliver better performance yay.

caswow

Sep 18, 2013
i dont think they said particularly gpu physx it could be cpu physx as well

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
It's funny how now that Nvidia has something on it's camp DX is crap again.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Cloudfire serious question, do you work for Nvidia?

On what Carmack said, similar means, uh could mean almost anything. Also how does he know what Mantle can do anyway?

I thought the exact same thing about cloudfire.

As for Carkmack, he is VERY pro OpenGL (All ID games are OpenGL). And for whatever reason, he has been very against Mantle. I am not sure if this is because he is working with nVidia, or because Mantle isn't OpenGL.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
They have been slowplaying GPUs and software in sake of profit.
Pretty sickening when you think about it actually

That's business. I'm sure both companies ahve thought about these tactics for awhile but realized that if lowlevel API was on PCs then people with PCs wouldn't need Quad Titan setups. They'd get a HD7870 and still have WAY too much performance,.

Cloudfire777

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2013
So they want to counter it by pushing physx to every game? How is that for a counter?

Try to read the articles next time ey?

here are 6 core components of GameWorks, which can be seen below.
  • VisualFX SDK – tools for complex effects, such as WaveWorks, FlameWorks, and GIWorks for real-time simulation of global illumination
  • Graphics library
  • PhysX SDK
  • Core SDK – the foundation technology behind GeForce and all Nvidia platforms
  • Game compute library – for GPU Compute
  • Optix – for creating interactive ray tracing engines, ambient occlusion, procedural surfaces, and light baking; will be used as part of the core pipeline for a lot of multiplatform game engines
Along with GameWorks, NVIDIA has announced three new SDKs - Flex, GI Works and Flame Works. These three SDKs hopes to solve classically challenging tasks and problems.

John Carmack: Nvidia’s OpenGL extensions and AMD’s Mantle offer similar improvements over DirectX
Nvidia has aided Valve in the development of SteamOS, and aims to boost the potential of its hardware with improved driver performance via the OpenGL API

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
In the same way a worm is a choking hazard to a bird.

What really took me for a loop was seeing the gamers per area, 300M in the US, over 1 billion in India and China... Sadness.

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
Interesting strategies and curious how this will play out and how the market reacts over time!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
In the same way a worm is a choking hazard to a bird.

What really took me for a loop was seeing the gamers per area, 300M in the US, over 1 billion in India and China... Sadness.

Look again....The chart is showing the population of the countries with PC Gamers as 600M is all.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013

Because OpenGL is hardly used on the PC, and developers rarely consider an additional rendering path with so many to deal with already.

But because SteamOS is just coming to the market, and SteamOS works exclusively with OpenGL, as far as I'm aware, this is news that is just now relevant, even if AMD hadn't mentioned Mantle.

Because Carmack writes all his engines for OpenGL, this is especially important to him.