nVidia 3080 reviews thread

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Written:

Video:

Last edited:

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I'm very interesting in seeing the standard clocks and boost clocks of the custom models along with power limit. Today was a frenzy of people ordering random models without having a clue of those specs since few (if any?) have made the specs official on their product sites.

This situation will hopefully be better when the 3090s launch.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Looking at the numbers from ComputerBase, I became kind of curious about how Ampere fits in on a historical context. Especially with all the discussion about whether the 3080 should be considered part of the XX80 class of cards or the XX80 Ti class.

So I plotted the historical cumulative performance/$ gain for each generation using the 700 series as the baseline, and included a trendline for the 700->900->10 series (the number for the 3070 is based on an estimate of the 3080 being 30% faster than the 3070):

uA7p7x7.jpg

qzWJT8F.jpg

Based on this it is clear that the 3080 provides a perf/$ improvement that is roughly comparable to that of the 900 and 10 series regardless of whether you consider it part of the XX80 class or the XX80 Ti class, but not big enough to make up for the very subpar improvements of the 20 series.

The 3070 provides an improvement that is almost good enough to make up for the 20 series within the XX80 class. I didn't plot it within the XX70 class, since Computerbase didn't provide those number, but I suspect it would look worse there.

The 3090 meanwhile is clearly below historical standards for the XX80 Ti class (same as the 2080 Ti), but I suspect it would look better if you compared it to Titan cards.
This is awesome. Is there any way you can plot this for the graphics cards based on their launch date? That way we can see the real "slope" of the perf/$ lines over time.

Reactions: Tlh97

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
First AIB review I have seen. HWUB, Asus Tuf. This is price comparable to the FE, and seems to beat it in every way. Except it is larger:
Wow. It's not something I'd buy because you probably won't find a waterblock for it, but at the same price as the FE for normal usage?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Wow. It's not something I'd buy because you probably won't find a waterblock for it, but at the same price as the FE for normal usage?

Not into fussing with water cooling, so I don't see the need for a waterblock at all.

FE wasn't bad. But this runs over stock clocks and does it cool and quiet. Below 55C fans stop. Looks really great design, and for FE pricing.

Optimium Tech also tested the same card and came away similarly impressed:

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Techpowerup has multiple AIB cards:

To my surprise All of the cards are cooler and quieter than FE (in a monster-case though). Overall the performance difference between them are negligible.

• Both Palit and Zotac seem to be the best value @ $700
  • TUF gaming is the coolest card @ $730
  • MSI is the quietest and fastest (talking low single-digit here), but also but priciest @ $760

All in all, I guess it will be super hard to get any of them for a while, but all seem decent.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Techpowerup has multiple AIB cards:

To my surprise All of the cards are cooler and quieter than FE (in a monster-case though). Overall the performance difference between them are negligible.

• Both Palit and Zotac seem to be the best value @ $700
  • TUF gaming is the coolest card @ $730
  • MSI is the quietest and fastest (talking low single-digit here), but also but priciest @ $760

All in all, I guess it will be super hard to get any of them for a while, but all seem decent.
It kind of looks like the same cooler on the TUF OC as the TUF. I wonder if with a bit of manual OC there's any differrence for your $30?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
All the AIB cards look like relatively clean slates without a bunch of bling going on, which is a pleasant surprise.

I personally like the look of the Zotac shroud the best, but unfortunately it looks like the worst of this first batch according to TPU in thermals.

ASUS TUFlooks like it offers the best noise/temp ratios of the bunch.

randomhero

Apr 28, 2020
As I suspected, 3080 is around 30% faster.
Good generational upgrade.Price is also good if it stays at 700.
Efficiency is meh. Memory size is meh, also. It's cutting it close for high end card, but we'll see.

Now we'll have to see how it overclocks on average, it is still to early to for that data.

Now to AMD's turn, but that is for different thread.

Reactions: Tlh97

swilli89

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2010
There's a poll going around on the NVIDIA subreddit where almost 2000 people have responded. Less than 1.5% were able to get a FE and it looks like this was just barely not a true paper launch.

NVIDIA knew supplies would be super limited and its also clear they rushed this release to be a month ahead of AMD and their RX 6000 series. NVIDIA should have, if it was intending to serve its loyal customers, waited another month and built up much, much more inventory. Looks like they released maybe 5,000 cards globally.

There's about 20,000 comments on the release day page on reddit and people are counting less than 100 FE's recorded on the forum with proof. Its absolutely pathetic NVIDIA conducts business like this.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
There's a poll going around on the NVIDIA subreddit where almost 2000 people have responded. Less than 1.5% were able to get a FE and it looks like this was just barely not a true paper launch.

NVIDIA knew supplies would be super limited and its also clear they rushed this release to be a month ahead of AMD and their RX 6000 series. NVIDIA should have, if it was intending to serve its loyal customers, waited another month and built up much, much more inventory. Looks like they released maybe 5,000 cards globally.

There's about 20,000 comments on the release day page on reddit and people are counting less than 100 FE's recorded on the forum with proof. Its absolutely pathetic NVIDIA conducts business like this.

Pent up demand I tell ya! There's no supply shortage! /s

I would have thought at least a few members here would have scored one.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Why do AIB's almost never come with OC on RAM? It seems to me to be just as effective as a core OC and produces less heat. It's been this way for since the TNT days if I recall correctly and I never understood it.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Here you go:
74DSRac.jpg

pMpcLom.jpg
Yikes. Even if we get the X-axis scale adjusted by launch date, Turing really screwed the pooch there. The 3080 only gets us back on a similar slope but obviously not enough to undo what Turing did.

I'll see if I can tabulate something similar for AMD cards and I'll let you incorporate that data onto a similar plot just to see the differences between brands. I think it would be cool to have these plots updated every time a new generation of cards comes out.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yikes. Even if we get the X-axis scale adjusted by launch date, Turing really screwed the pooch there. The 3080 only gets us back on a similar slope but obviously not enough to undo what Turing did.
I don't think that is much of a surprise to anyone. We all know that for "standard" 3D graphics, the 2080 was only just barely better than the 1080. What it did do was give us ray-tracing. You would really need to compare a 2D raster graphics card against the first 3D cards to see a similar issue. In terms of performance on games that existed before 3D cards were available, the performance of those 3D cards on 2D games will look a lot like the performance of a ray-tracing card on 3D games that do not use ray-tracing. Until we have ray-tracing games to show the performance benefit, it is hard to quantize the performance/$ of a card against previous gen cards on previous gen benchmarks not utilizing the capabilities of the new gen card. Or actually it is possible to do so, but no one wants to show a ray-tracing benchmark on a 1080 and compare it's performance against the 2080 in a chart like this because the 1080 will be staggered at 0.1 frame per second attempting to perform the ray-tracing tasks while the 2080 will simply just run 2-3000 times faster, completely skewing any performance/$ chart.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I was hoping for an 'A' from the 3080 but I give it a solid 'B' grade, instead. It shows what overpriced garbage the 20xx series cards were. The 3080 is probably not a good 1440 card as the uplift isn't great over the 2080Ti while also being overkill. The fps/$ is about where the great value 5700 and 5700 XT cards are. This actually bodes well for 3070 and AMD's 6000 series as we can expect them to have even better fps/$. If you game at 1440 (or want to) the 3080 fps/$ numbers scream WAIT for the 3070 or the 6000 or price drops on the 5700 or 5700XT.

Where it shines is at 4k where FINALLY we have a card that gives good 4k performance at prices that aren't stupid. The problem is very few people have 4k monitors and high refresh 4k monitors are quite expensive.

You could probably buy one if you have a 1080Ti and be fine for 4 years and buy a 5080 in 2024.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
The harbour onbox or harbour inbox became a meme and then a t-shirt because the speech to text engine on YT is bad.

Anyway, 21 is fairly cool but they standardize and make sure the room is always that temp.

The CC?

Yeah, I get that, but it's not typical room temperatures in many homes. Still, after watching their Asus TUF video and then Jason's EVGA video, the AIB launch cards perform around the same if not slightly better while being cooler and not as noisy. Not sure if it's worth the extra 50-100 USD for most people.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Well, Ray Tracing performance is.....................blah. :confused2:

IOW NVidia improved everything about an equal amount (just a slight extra bit on RT).

They really couldn't win here. If they massively improved RT, people would complain that traditional Raster was short changed, and that was what really mattered.

It's completely unrealistic to expect Ray Tracing to be without penalty. There will always be a significant penalty for enabling it.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The CC?

Yeah, I get that, but it's not typical room temperatures in many homes. Still, after watching their Asus TUF video and then Jason's EVGA video, the AIB launch cards perform around the same if not slightly better while being cooler and not as noisy. Not sure if it's worth the extra 50-100 USD for most people.

The cheaper AIB cards are about the same price as the FE (maybe within $20-30), and they all have 3 fans. I think the lower noise levels are well worth it.