Question nVidia 3070 reviews thread

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

VRAM test proving 8GB isn't enough in Minecraft and Wolfenstein: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefo...747/Tests/8-GB-vs-16-GB-Benchmarks-1360672/2/

The 3070 is the first card that actually interests me from the Ampere line.

Last edited:

Head1985

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2014
I think we had like 30x rtx3070 for whole country(czech republic) :D sold out after 10s btw and with insane prices 700+usd.Scalpers did buy most of the cards.They already re-selling them for even worse price.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
At this point, does it matter? Unless they come up with something no other site has discussed/unveiled, they should work on ensuring a kick ass day one Radeon RX 6000 series review and they can dedicate a section to the 3070 in there.

More concerned with the health of Anandtech than I am with the review itself necessarily, but Ryan Smith tends to write about technical features of cards in a thoughtful and earnest but digestible way. A good AT review is unmatched by basically any other review site out there.

Reactions: Tlh97 and MrTeal

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
More concerned with the health of Anandtech than I am with the review itself necessarily, but Ryan Smith tends to write about technical features of cards in a thoughtful and earnest but digestible way. A good AT review is unmatched by basically any other review site out there.
Really, for an AT review I don't even really need one for every card. A launch review that features good depth on the first card in the stack is a lot more valuable than making sure one gets produced for the 6700 or 3050 Ti in a few months.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Really, for an AT review I don't even really need one for every card. A launch review that features good depth on the first card in the stack is a lot more valuable than making sure one gets produced for the 6700 or 3050 Ti in a few months.

True, their arch deep dives are way more interesting than their actual reviews, which are fairly bare bones compared to some other sites.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Got 'excited' into getting a Zotac 3070 OC for 600 net yesterday...632 minus 5% pp after BB and BoA crapped on me, the 470 price after birthday coupon and PayPal would have been awesome. I think cyberpowerpc is the best sane option right now: https://slickdeals.net/f/14483786-c...4-rgb-500gb-ssd-1193-20?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1 Sale comes on and off during the day and there is literally no markup. Got a 3080, 3600, x570, 500gb nvme, 3 tb hdd, decent case, 120mm tower cooler, 600w gold evga psu for 1280 otd. Speccing this out on sale prices is higher. Will keep as backup since it ships in 4 weeks and they don't charge till then. CPU perf will be a wash with y 5960x but power draw will be half. May sell the extra parts and put the 3080 in my current build or sell the 5960x combo. Unless 3080s start raining by thanksgiving. Buying pre-built is usually sacrilege but at these prices think of it as a msrp or below combo with a free case thrown in. You can do a lot worse ...I often almost got a 1700 net 3090..thank God the transaction never went through lol.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, I was almost considering a pre-built, to get a hold of the new cards. Bah. Not that I've bought a pre-built for nearly 3 years. (Was an experiment, a Walmart "HP Power Gaming PC". Worked OK as a mining PC. Came with a GTX 1060 3GB OEM card, which back then, the price of $500 on BF was basically the cost of the CPU + GPU combined, and the parts were overall worth more than that. Not very upgradeable at all, though, so I gave it to a friend after like 3-4 years of mining on it, for a gaming PC for his kids.)

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Yeah, I was almost considering a pre-built, to get a hold of the new cards. Bah. Not that I've bought a pre-built for nearly 3 years. (Was an experiment, a Walmart "HP Power Gaming PC". Worked OK as a mining PC. Came with a GTX 1060 3GB OEM card, which back then, the price of $500 on BF was basically the cost of the CPU + GPU combined, and the parts were overall worth more than that. Not very upgradeable at all, though, so I gave it to a friend after like 3-4 years of mining on it, for a gaming PC for his kids.)
This is different though even the free case can do a 280 mm radiator and e-atx mobos.The 3600 and x570 and pretty standard pieces.

shinjuku

Nov 5, 2020
going to build my first PC soon. I already have a 3070 on hand. I was hoping to get a 5600x or 5800x whichever comes in stock first. I'm going to be doing some gaming on pc (cyberpunk 2077, rdr2, world of warcraft) and doing photo editing with raw files and video editing of my travel videos in 1080p videos to upload to youtube.

assuming i can't get a 5600x in the next 2 weeks. what's a recommended cpu i can get for around the same price as a 5600x or less? I'm leaning towards just getting a 3600 if I can't find a 5600x.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
going to build my first PC soon. I already have a 3070 on hand. I was hoping to get a 5600x or 5800x whichever comes in stock first. I'm going to be doing some gaming on pc (cyberpunk 2077, rdr2, world of warcraft) and doing photo editing with raw files and video editing of my travel videos in 1080p videos to upload to youtube.

assuming i can't get a 5600x in the next 2 weeks. what's a recommended cpu i can get for around the same price as a 5600x or less? I'm leaning towards just getting a 3600 if I can't find a 5600x.

Do you have access to Microcenter? 9700k @ $200 +board discount, 9900k @ $300 +board discount is solid FPS for the money and clearly capable on every other front. Boards are a known commodity and shopping memory is a little simpler because there seems to be less dependence on bandwidth and latency on the Intel side.

Hahahaha, recommended an i9 as a value option against a "value" tier AMD option. I mean, the joke is clearly on Intel here, but I am still amazed at how long 14++++++++++++ manufacturing is holding up.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Do you have access to Microcenter? 9700k @ $200 +board discount, 9900k @ $300 +board discount is solid FPS for the money and clearly capable on every other front. Boards are a known commodity and shopping memory is a little simpler because there seems to be less dependence on bandwidth and latency on the Intel side.

Hahahaha, recommended an i9 as a value option against a "value" tier AMD option. I mean, the joke is clearly on Intel here, but I am still amazed at how long 14++++++++++++ manufacturing is holding up.
It is pretty amazing what Intel has achieved out of what is basically a Sandy Bridge derived architecture...in fact the major cpu blocks have remained unchanged since Skylake...it's 10 years old now though we really need something newer on a newer node very soon.

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah it's surprising how well it's holding up. I personally would still get a Ryzen (maybe even a 3600 before there is stock) though. But that's because I like to keep platforms around as long as possible and PCIe 4.0 + M.2 might be a nice option once DirectStorage materializes. That is only a consideration though if you plan to keep the setup for 3+ years.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Yeah it's surprising how well it's holding up. I personally would still get a Ryzen (maybe even a 3600 before there is stock) though. But that's because I like to keep platforms around as long as possible and PCIe 4.0 + M.2 might be a nice option once DirectStorage materializes. That is only a consideration though if you plan to keep the setup for 3+ years.

I keep reading more and more since Zen 3 isn't available to actually buy and it really looks like if you are gaming with Intel the power usage actually tends to not be terrible and performance is great. For example, the i9 10900 (what a name) with a 65W power limit for long time use scores only somewhat lower than the K version with just crazy upper power limits.

I am really struggling not just pulling the trigger on a 10700k/quality H470 (no oc'ing here, I feel they are pre overclocked) combo for less than $500 after tax. Could even do the 10850k (lol) or 10900 for ~$100 more and just have that 10 core dream Intel CPU. Ha. That looks to really be chasing diminishing returns.

Definitely not doing a step up CPU here in the short term. The system is ~200+ miles away and my dad values it "just working" - which for reasons I've never been able to nail down, his 5820k system insists on locking up every once in a while. Decisions...

shinjuku

Nov 5, 2020

that's a good combo deal, sucks the nearest microcenter from where i live is a 4 and a half hour drive away in southern california. i'll probably just try to get an amd 3600 until 5600x becomes available. planning to keep the 3070/cpu combo for the next 5-7 years.

Reactions: Tlh97 and blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
that's a good combo deal, sucks the nearest microcenter from where i live is a 4 and a half hour drive away in southern california. i'll probably just try to get an amd 3600 until 5600x becomes available. planning to keep the 3070/cpu combo for the next 5-7 years.

FWIW, NewEgg is running a really similar deal with OK board selection. The Gigabyte Z390 board combo (maybe the lowest cost of the bunch) looks solid at ~$430 but yeah, my 3600 does fine too and should hold until chips are generally available.

DJinPrime

Sep 9, 2020
Was able to buy a MSI Ventus 2X OC from NE monday and got it today. With a minor undervolting, 900mv at 1900mhz I was able to run Superposition 1080 extreme at 72 degrees with boost stable at 1920 mhz and total board power just under 200 watts. At default, it was a few degrees hotter and boost in the very low 1800s and was pulling 220 watts. So undervolting made it cooler and faster lol. While playing games at 3440x1440, temp is around 60 and board draw is much lower too. Only downside to this card is that I can't add core voltage.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
Another game in the ever-growing list - Godfall requires 12GB VRAM for the highest texture details: https://videocardz.com/newz/godfall-requires-12gb-of-vram-for-ultrahd-textures-at-4k-resolution

Imagine, if you will, waiting weeks for a $700 10GB 3080 with no ETR, then having a game drop that unobtanium(tm) GPU can't even run properly.

fake news?

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

fake news?

What's allowing the 3090 to have such a huge lead over the 3080 in their test? Does any other game show that amount of a lead for the 3090?

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Is it memory related though? Their test scene shows less memory use than the 3080 has?

Didn't you read guidryp's post? No one said it actually uses all that memory. AMD just paid them to check if the card has less than 16 GB and if so running a codepath that renders a giant super texture neon sign that flashes "LOL get more VRAM scrub" behind the terrain where it can't be seen in order to tank performance. It even uses a particular nasty random algorithm when strobing to make NVidia's DLSS neural net training super computer cry as it never quite gets the picture right.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
AMD sponsored title, designed to use more memory than the competition has.
Lulz. AMD's fault because nVidia shipped 5 year old memory capacity on a card for $half a thousand?

Compiling all the reasons we've been given every time yet another game chokes on nVidia's underspec'd cards, here's what we get:
  1. It's the developer's fault.
  2. It's the game's fault.
  3. It's the reviewer's fault.
  4. It's AMD's fault.
  5. The "wrong" settings were used.
  6. The "wrong" thing was benchmarked.
  7. It doesn't "count" because the problem only happens in some parts of the game.
  8. It's completely fine dropping texture detail on a brand new $700 card.
  9. Texture detail doesn't matter because a glorified upscaler + sharpen filter exists in half a dozen games, out of thousands.
  10. Texture detail doesn't matter as long as it matches a console.
  11. Texture detail doesn't matter because guidryp said so.
Please let me know if I've missed any other reasons why $500 @ 8GB isn't nVidia's fault.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DJinPrime

Sep 9, 2020
Lulz. AMD's fault because nVidia shipped 5 year old memory capacity on a card for $half a thousand?

Compiling all the reasons we've been given every time yet another game chokes on nVidia's underspec'd cards, here's what we get:
  1. It's the developer's fault.
  2. It's the game's fault.
  3. It's the reviewer's fault.
  4. It's AMD's fault.
  5. The "wrong" settings were used.
  6. The "wrong" thing was benchmarked.
  7. It doesn't "count" because the problem only happens in some parts of the game.
  8. It's completely fine dropping texture detail on a brand new $700 card.
  9. Texture detail doesn't matter because a glorified upscaler + sharpen filter exists in half a dozen games, out of thousands.
  10. Texture detail doesn't matter as long as it matches a console.
  11. Texture detail doesn't matter because guidryp said so.
Please let me know if I've missed any other reasons why $500 @ 8GB isn't nVidia's fault.

Thanks!
This 8GB argument is so stupid. The 3070 is aimed at the 1440 environment, for $500 the 3070 is an unbelievable card compared to anything before that. 8GB is completely reasonable since no game currently use more than that, and realistically at 1440 you wouldn't even have to dial down the highest texture to the next level (which no one can tell the difference unless you're doing screenshot and 2x the picture) for the next few years. Literally, there's no other game that "chokes" the 3070.
As a software developer, I can tell you that yes it is the developer's fault for not configuring a game properly. And if you bother looking into these issues, they seems to be related to the game engine used because previous games also have the same problem. So, yes it's the developers fault for not following up on issues and make appropriate changes to address the problem in updates and future games. If an end user can configure it properly then it is your fault as the developer. Godfall, if you even bother looking at reviews will tell you that it's an unoptimized mess. Do you not see that 3090 with its 24GB vram also sucking on this game?
Talk about old tech, so what about AMD 6800s with RT performance level? And doesn't appear to have dedicated ML hardware. Yeah, enjoy the extra 8GB where it will sit wasted for majority of the games. While RT with DLSS actually matters in the ever growing list of games that support them.
Why get mad over what a vendor put in their product? Does 3070 with 8GB somehow hurt you? Just don't buy it, 1 more for people who actually wants it. As a 3070 owner, I'm very happy with it. Do I care if a ti comes out with 16GB and maybe 10% more performance but with a higher cost in 1/2 year? No!

Reactions: Heartbreaker