Question nVidia 3070 reviews thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

VRAM test proving 8GB isn't enough in Minecraft and Wolfenstein: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Gefo...747/Tests/8-GB-vs-16-GB-Benchmarks-1360672/2/

The 3070 is the first card that actually interests me from the Ampere line.

Last edited:

DJinPrime

Sep 9, 2020
Best Buy website was stupid. Cards didn't go on sale at 6am pacific, by the time they became available, Newegg already sold out. Then it had some weird 2 stages to add to cart. Got as far as entering my address, but then wouldn't goto the payment screen. I should have ordered from Newegg, which seems to have stock for 5 minutes but I wanted the FE. And this was after the impressive AMD presentation, lol good luck with anyone trying to get a video card this year.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Simple stuff is not to just buy it from scalpers.
It hurts both the vendors and buyers if you get them from the scalpers.
Scalpers prevent real users from buying the card to give driver feedback, and other independent reviews.

Let them sit on the card for a while, its not like we really need it now, cyberpunk which is probably the only game one would need something like this isn't scheduled to release for a while anyhow.

But seriously, back to my first note, DONT BUY FROM SCALPERS.

Anyhow im not in a rush to get my card, im still waiting for good waterblocks for it.

But seriously Nvidia, they completely fubard' this launch.
They should of held everything until they had enough inventory, instead of trickling it down.
I seriously hope AMD learns from this, and postpones launch until they have enough inventory otherwise the RX cards will all goto scalpers.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
The demand is genuinely insane though. Look on Hexus. USA Launch demand for ps5's about 14(!) times up vs the PS4.

It's a very, very strange year and despite the net economics being down, there's a large chunk of bored people with spare money.

That or crazy bot invasions?!

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
It's a very, very strange year and despite the net economics being down

that's because a lot of people are:

1. Unemployed, they stay home all day, or out protesting #(whatever you want that ends with LM).
2. Getting EDD checks, and have gotten EDD checks greater then what they were originally making.
3. Do not care about future in something called SAVING.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
I guess so. It's 3 that surprises me a bit. There's obviously a huge recession/depression incoming and....

Also the magnitude of it. Doubled demand say? Fine. Over ten times seems slightly hard to believe somehow.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

1. Unemployed, they stay home all day, or out protesting #(whatever you want that ends with LM).
2. Getting EDD checks, and have gotten EDD checks greater then what they were originally making.
Dont want to derail to P&N, but just cant let your snide, stereotypical remarks go unchallenged. I know many people (and have been one of them at times) who are or have been unemployed, and are looking desperately for a well pay full time job. They certainly aren't "unemployed" because they want to sit at home all day, or go out and protest.

I also know people who got laid off and got EDD checks. Maybe for what 2 or 3 months they made more money than their underpaying part time job, but they certainly did not get 3070 kind of money. And many who did get EDD checks were forced to go back to work at reduced hours, facing the danger of covid, for even less than they were making before, and with greatly reduced tips as well for service industry workers, due to businesses opening at 1/4 or 1/2 capacity. As for SAVING, if you think someone in this situation could even remotely expect to build up savings, you are woefully out of touch with reality.

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Dont want to derail to P&N, but just cant let your snide, stereotypical remarks go unchallenged.

I apologize i do not mean 100% of the category.
I meant it more in direct relation to the people who actually do abuse it.

But you cant deny a big reason why expensive as hell video cards and consoles being sold out in minutes is not a reason for 2 and 3.

Again i am apologizing if you thought i was directing it at everyone.
Only the ones who are abusing the system, and have been.
I know a lot of people that have, and sad to say some who are in my circle who brag about it all the time.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
They should of held everything until they had enough inventory, instead of trickling it down.

It makes no sense at all to just rent warehouse space, and keep storing vast hordes of them for a couple of months, to build "enough" inventory.

That's just a waste of resources to appease online whiners, while risking disaster if demand drops while you are hording them until you have enough...

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
It makes no sense at all to just rent warehouse space, and keep storing vast hordes of them for a couple of months, to build "enough" inventory.

That's just a waste of resources to appease online whiners, while risking disaster if demand drops while you are hording them until you have enough...
Plus when you get them into the hand of the users early, you can find problems and fix it before it effects more people. Just because people don't have self-control doesn't mean it's the manufacture's fault. Not sure now much of it was CP77 and everyone rushing to have a card play it on max but waiting 3 months shouldn't be hard.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

- You forgot the whales:

4. Still gainfully employed, office job, but stuck at home with nowhere to go or other things to spend money on (Travel, fancy dinners, hobbist stuff ). This is basically me, and I'm normally stingy as **** but I've noticed recently that without blowing 15k-20k on an international family vacay my tolerance for daily spending has risen considerably.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Half of people still employed throughout the year. Maybe?
All people were locked in while being denied needless travel.
So they can burn the money saved on something else. Enter next gen consoles.

Sort of makes sense.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I had the chance to get a 3070 but there's no way I'd do so after seeing AMD's 16GB parts. An 8GB card for $half a grand is absolutely farcical within such a context.

Add Watch Dogs Legion as yet another game where 8GB is not enough:

Who the hell wants to drop $500 on a brand new card and immediately start reducing texture detail?

Given even AMD's number 3 card has 16GB, I think nVidia is in damage control right now and they'll be forced to upgrade their woefully underspec'd 8GB/10GB.

Last edited:

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I had the chance to get a 3070 but there's no way I'd do so after seeing AMD's 16GB parts. An 8GB card for $half a grand is absolutely farcical within such a context.

Add Watch Dogs Legion as yet another game where 8GB is not enough:

Who the hell wants to drop $500 on a brand new card and immediately start reducing texture detail?

Given even AMD's number 3 card has 16GB, I think nVidia is in damage control right now and they'll be forced to upgrade their woefully underspec'd 8GB/10GB.

I still remember Deus Ex on my shiny 290x and realizing there was an ultra texture preset for 8GB cards. It literally said something effect, right in the setting menu, that you shouldn't feel bad if you couldn't use it because you didn't have enough vram because it wasn't that noticeable. Ha. Strangely, this did make me feel better?

• Haha
Reactions: lightmanek

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I understand Anandtech had some issues with the fires in Oregon which delayed the 3080/3090 reviews, but now it looks like 3070 review time has come and is slowly going and... still no AT reviews or deep dives.

Starting to get a little concerned about AT's review situation here. The GTX 960 thing is just a long running gag guys, no need to take it to heart and miss an entire line-up's reviews...

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Same thing happened to me. Best Buys system is a joke.

Hard to believe Best Buy was even a partner after how they broke during PS5 and Xbox pre-orders.

Microcenter makes a little bit of sense, maybe. Their cart appears to be old and crusty but actually works, plus the amount of retail cards flowing through there is probably nuts.

Maybe Best Buy too, but the average value of a customer in a Microcenter for PC components has to be a lot higher than the comparative Best Buy.

Hmmm.

That said, I did buy my 8500, my 9500 and 3870 and then a returned 5700xt all retail from Best Buy and I've bought maybe five video cards (nvidia refurb GTX 460s and 560tis) from Microcenter so my own experience betrays me.

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I understand Anandtech had some issues with the fires in Oregon which delayed the 3080/3090 reviews, but now it looks like 3070 review time has come and is slowly going and... still no AT reviews or deep dives.

Starting to get a little concerned about AT's review situation here. The GTX 960 thing is just a long running gag guys, no need to take it to heart and miss an entire line-up's reviews...

Given the retail situation I am pretty meh on it. There are a million places to get a Day 1 response now - I am more interested in after the Radeon cards are available (and available for mortals to purchase) and a longer review where we get the benefit of long form writing and critical analysis. Especially after both parties have had the opportunity to drop at least one driver update post launch to give us a better idea of the long term outlook.

I still google a card number and then anandtech whenever I am shopping used cards to refresh myself of their place in the hierarchy. Userbenchmark and all those just abstract way too much info.

Jul 27, 2020

At this point, does it matter? Unless they come up with something no other site has discussed/unveiled, they should work on ensuring a kick ass day one Radeon RX 6000 series review and they can dedicate a section to the 3070 in there.

Reactions: Tlh97

yoda5

Dec 10, 2014
Best Buy website was stupid. Cards didn't go on sale at 6am pacific, by the time they became available, Newegg already sold out. Then it had some weird 2 stages to add to cart. Got as far as entering my address, but then wouldn't goto the payment screen. I should have ordered from Newegg, which seems to have stock for 5 minutes but I wanted the FE. And this was after the impressive AMD presentation, lol good luck with anyone trying to get a video card this year.

Same experience for me. Quite the fiasco with Bestbuy, I was somewhat surprised they were the "Go to" retailer chosen by NVIDIA. I did get a chuckle about the trolls bidding up 3070 cards to over $10k on eBay :laughing: I guess it's time to take a closer look at the AMD cards now.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
Online supply is hard to gauge and is susceptible to bots/scalpers.

But it does seem like there was more 3070 supply at physical locations. There was a posting yesterday that computer store about 15 minutes from where I used to live in Ottawa, still had 4 - 3070's in stock yesterday at 5pm. They went quite quickly after that.