Nvidia 270, 290 and GX2 roll out in November

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Zap

Everyone keeps saying that. Has anyone done a study of the BOM for a GT200 card? Anyone know what exactly TMSC charges for manufacturing chips for NVIDIA?

I really think they are just making it up.

NVIDIA has always had better profit margins than ATI (It's one of the reasons they were able to avoid a buyout.)

I doubt anyone on this board knows how much it costs either AMD or NVIDIA to make their chips.

rjc

Sep 27, 2007
PCI Express 75W
PCI Express 2.0 150W
6 pin PCI Express power plug 75W
8 pin PCI Express power plug 150W

Currently all PCIe 2.0 cards are backwards compatible, and no card needs more than one 6 pin and one 8 pin. What's to stop a company from changing that? A card that requires a PCIe 2.0 board and two 8 pin connectors will be capable of drawing 450W.

Ah ok, that is i suppose where the 300W came from PCIX-1 + 6 pin + 8 pin = 300W. I guess just for the GX2 card they could abandon the P35 owners and get 75W more.

Everyone keeps saying that. Has anyone done a study of the BOM for a GT200 card? Anyone know what exactly TMSC charges for manufacturing chips for NVIDIA?

Well about the time of introduction the GT200 chip was rumored to be around $100-$110. The inquirer article states that the card costs $260 to the partners.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Wreckage

NVIDIA has always had better profit margins than ATI (It's one of the reasons they were able to avoid a buyout.)

I doubt anyone on this board knows how much it costs either AMD or NVIDIA to make their chips.

B3D has some pretty good idea about manufacturing costs

the $100+ that was quoted originally for Tesla was evidently overstated a bit and they have also brought it down since then; unlike what Charlie would like you to believe

We DO know that AMD currently has a big advantage with 4850 in per/watt and their GPUs are cheaper to manufacture than Nvidia's. However, once Nvidia gets rid of its 65nm jun .. i mean Cards .. it will deliver its 55nm better yeilding GPUs [again counter to what charlie imagines].

AND .. in the past, they have always been able to deliver a speed bump and some optimizations along with their profit increasing shrinks in the past .. i think they will not fail to do so now.

Personally i think it is *impossible* to produce a GX2-280 but a 270+[+]+ Sandwich should be doable and still beat 4870x2 without burning up your case
- i *expect* no less from Nvidia

:Q

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005

Wrong, they traded blows each other, R300 architecture was cheaper than the FX and outsold it, R4XX architecture was less complex and smaller than the NV40 and both traded blows, G7X architecture was smaller and less complex than the R5XX but the latter outsold it by a margin, G8X architecture was slighly cheaper to make than the R6XX, but it outsold it considerably, the RV6XX was considerably cheaper to manufacturer than the G92 and traded blows in the same market segment, but the latter sold more overall thanks to the constant rehashes of different SKU's with the same GPU. The RV7700 is considerably cheaper to make than the GT2XX and is outsolding it by a considerably margin. ATi always has been a much smaller company than nVidia, hence the buyout, also nVidia carries the GeForce prestigious name since long time ago, and Radeon only got good after several years later.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: bryanW1995
rollo at least makes an effort to appear unbiased at times...

Maybe here but I'm about to show you an example of true rollo. He's got you fooled dude, don't be naive. Maybe you weren't around here when he was lying to everyone and so on. After getting banned he's watching his step and playing it safe. You will never see him say anything positive about Ati on a large scale, never.

Now here is an example of what rollo is good at...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=119964

and then look what he said somewhere else...

http://www.rage3d.com/board/sh...1335640651&postcount=8

Yep, smoke and mirrors of a salesman, he'll pull wool over your eyes and tell you wonders. :roll:

As for wreckage, I think he's trying so hard to get on nvidia's payroll... ;)

While I believe it is appropriate to discuss the actions of focus group members HERE, that does not extend to other forums. What Rollo does there is his business as long as it's not impacting things here. As far as I am concerned this is attacking another member and will not be permitted.

-ViRGE

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Originally posted by: solofly

Maybe here but I'm about to show you an example of true rollo. He's got you fooled dude, don't be naive. Maybe you weren't around here when he was lying to everyone and so on. After getting banned he's watching his step and playing it safe. You will never see him say anything positive about Ati on a large scale, never.

Yep, smoke and mirrors of a salesman, he'll pull wool over your eyes and tell you wonders. :roll:

Funny, I could swear the topic of this thread wasn't "Let's examine how a member posts on other forums", must have been mistaken.

As far as your links go, they don't exactly portray me as "Public Enemy No.1".
:roll:

Peelback79

Oct 26, 2007
We're almost halfway through October and I haven't been able to find anything solid on release dates. Does anyone have anything solid on what we're going to be getting next from the green team? I was hoping to be purchasing some kind of EVGA flavored goodness before Christmas at least. I probably won't be able to afford top end, but I was hoping the next release would result in some across the board price cuts to bring the GTX280 down just a little lower.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

Wow....how is that whole post not ban worthy?

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Ocguy31

I was replying to bryanW1995. Besides all I said was the truth and nothing more.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

I was replying to bryanW1995. Besides all I said was the truth and nothing more.

Because thread derailment and personally attacking not 1, but 2 people is usually grounds for a ban.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003

Why not ask a mod? Not directly of course. If you have a question, PM the Anandtech Moderator account.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003

Because thread derailment and personally attacking not 1, but 2 people is usually grounds for a ban.

First of all I'm not the first person here to so called derail this thread. All I did was added some comments to what bryanW1995 already started in a polite manner. Believe me if I was to tell you what I really think, mind blowing $hit....:)

For everyone else sorry for any inconvenience, over and out.

EDIT: KEYS, dude I'm afraid to enable my mailbox. The last time I said something bad about Ati drivers, some kid (or ati fanboy ;)) tracked me down at pcper.com and told me they wish i was dead. lol No joke! heh.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I hope that 290 OC's better than my 280 - I have it water cooled with an expensive full coverage block and only manage 733/1320 before artifacts even though temps stay less than 50C. In general I prefer single cards just because of plumbing issues but I may have to get another.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Peelback79
We're almost halfway through October and I haven't been able to find anything solid on release dates. Does anyone have anything solid on what we're going to be getting next from the green team? I was hoping to be purchasing some kind of EVGA flavored goodness before Christmas at least. I probably won't be able to afford top end, but I was hoping the next release would result in some across the board price cuts to bring the GTX280 down just a little lower.

word is next month

and i may be the only one who actually expects some performance increase to go with the shrink
-i am interested in SLi'ing 280 with 290GTX
[--which means i need a new MB; and my next one will not be x58]
rose.gif

EDIT: i am no moderator here [any more], but it is very counterproductive to keep talking about individual members perceived flaws
- it is damned irritating and breaks up the discussion flow
- everyone knows everybody - by now .. and the new guys can figure what is going on very quickly without derailing threads

Focus Group members are very well identified; i wish i could say the same for AMD and intel's viral marketing which remain hidden :p

Zebo, you are playing at 25x16? heck, i *need* 280GTX as a minimum for 19x12
:Q

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
No my main monitor is 19x12 - Still tuning - but a couple games seem slower than my sli 8800GT setup which were adequate.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo
No my main monitor is 19x12 - Still tuning - but a couple games seem slower than my sli 8800GT setup which were adequate.

really?

that doesn't seem right .. which games .. i am going back to my 280GTX and can do some comparisons

of course i just now got a new 1GB toy
- UPS delivers today .. i got my ASUS 4870/1GB .. and i can test it in CF3 directly against my 512MB version

BtW .. ASUS has the *classiest box* i have ever seen for a graphics card ..
- even the chick on the card is really .. well, better than the other ones i have seen so far
.. ART!!
rose.gif

i might be offline for awhile :p

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Good fucking grief. The Inq. link in the OP is so biased it's almost beyond belief. Here's a snip :

"Given NV's problems of late with cooling, (here, here, and here) it is in a bind, but there is no way out of this, none at all. The only thing it can do is resort to unethical tactics, and that is what we think it will do here. The only solution open to NV is to cherry pick ultra low power GT200b parts and make a small run of GX2s that don't burn a hole in the bottom of your case on their way down to the center of the earth."

???

I think they are full of shit. ATI and Nvidia have been making pretty sweet cards for a long time now, and the current situation is nowhere near as bad as the debacles of the Geforce FX series, or the ATI pre-Radeon stuff.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
This is what happens when the market perceives a product as being late. Speculation of problems run rampant. Ati has experienced this also.

aclim

Oct 6, 2006
Bring all the cards on. I want to upgrade my card bad, but I dont know what to do. If I should wait or what

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

I'd be willing to bet that amd has a lower cost to produce their 4xxx gpus than nvidia does to produce 2xx. Just a hunch, of course ;)

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: nRollo

Funny, I could swear the topic of this thread wasn't "Let's examine how a member posts on other forums", must have been mistaken.

As far as your links go, they don't exactly portray me as "Public Enemy No.1".
:roll:

I know that rollo did some nasty stuff in the past, my point was that he at least makes the effort appear unbiased sometimes. wreckage, otoh, reminds me of the anti-charlie; ie, he loves nvidia so much that they can do no wrong in his eyes under any circumstances and he foolishly and blindly fawns on their every word. also, rollo can at least carry on an intelligent conversation. wreckage can carry on an intelligent conversation...with a goldfish.

Personal attacks are not allowed

-ViRGE