Nvidia 270, 290 and GX2 roll out in November

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
4,726
0
71
I'm starting to see what INQ hates nvidia so much....

Seems all nvidia does anymore is...
Cut prices of current gen cards and then a few months later put out a revised current gen card with higher clocks and a few extra shaders under the same name. Then a few months later bring in a new set of re-hashed cards with a die-shrink, higher clocks, better cooling, nd more or equal shader count's as next gen cards. Rinse and Repeat.

I would rather them just cut their losses and focus on a true next gen cards.
 

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
27,227
36
91
Thats a blog, not a news story. He burries the biggest story...the X2. He dismisses it, even though there is a good chance it will beat the 4870X2. What a tool.
 

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
27,227
36
91
Originally posted by: Quiksilver
I'm starting to see what INQ hates nvidia so much....

Seems all nvidia does anymore is...
Cut prices of current gen cards and then a few months later put out a revised current gen card with higher clocks and a few extra shaders under the same name. Then a few months later bring in a new set of re-hashed cards with a die-shrink, higher clocks, better cooling, nd more or equal shader count's as next gen cards. Rinse and Repeat.

I would rather them just cut their losses and focus on a true next gen cards.

You do know how the 4XXX series was made, correct?

He hates them because they dont consider it a real news outlet, so they wont supply them with engineering samples. He also refused to sign an NDA.
 

SSChevy2001

Senior member
Jul 9, 2008
774
0
0
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Thats a blog, not a news story. He burries the biggest story...the X2. He dismisses it, even though there is a good chance it will beat the 4870X2. What a tool.
I have a hard time seeing a Nvidia X2 beating 4870x2. Now it might have a win here and there depending on the game, but overall the 4870x2 should still win.

Still you have to agree nvidia is going crazy with this generation of cards.

9800GTX+, GTX260, GTX260 216, GTX270, GTX280, GTX290, 260GX2 :confused:

vs

4850. 4870, 4870x2
 

Cookie Monster

Diamond Member
May 7, 2005
5,161
32
86
I dont see how this can be a bad thing. I actually like what nVIDIA is doing. They are being competitive at both price and performance. Prices of the GTX260/280 are much more competitive than it was at launch. Now they are trying to tackle the X2, and release the G200 based refreshes to offer a much more competitive products against the successful HD4850/4870s. This is a good thing. They aren't sitting around doing nothing til the next big thing hits (DX11 40nm GPUs from both camps).

Plus when these cards hit, the GTX260/280 and its variants will probably be discontinued. All these continuous price drops of the GTX2x0 series have alot to do with clearing of the old inventory (65nm G200s), making space for the newer 55nm parts.
 

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
27,227
36
91
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Thats a blog, not a news story. He burries the biggest story...the X2. He dismisses it, even though there is a good chance it will beat the 4870X2. What a tool.
I have a hard time seeing a Nvidia X2 beating 4870x2. Now it might have a win here and there depending on the game, but overall the 4870x2 should still win.

Still you have to agree nvidia is going crazy with this generation of cards.

9800GTX+, GTX260, GTX260 216, GTX270, GTX280, GTX290, 260GX2 :confused:

vs

4850. 4870, 4870x2

Actually ATi is doing some rebranding right now as well.

As far as going crazy with cards, it doesnt bother me. Anyone who says they are outraged by it is pretending. They can call it whatever they want, and I will still know how to look at benchmarks/reviews/specs and be able to tell what card I want to buy.
 

nosfe

Senior member
Aug 8, 2007
424
0
0
last i checked ATi's rebranding of 3xxx cards is just a rumor, nothing more, so please stop spreading fud
 

phexac

Senior member
Jul 19, 2007
315
4
81
Heh, and I recently bought GTX260 OC. Oh well, it runs everything I need it to atm except for Crysis. So I'm set until next generation of cards.
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: nosfe
last i checked ATi's rebranding of 3xxx cards is just a rumor, nothing more, so please stop spreading fud
It doesn't appear to be fud, nosfe. We all pretty much saw the driver notation. RV6xx class GPU's are now identified as 4xxx series lower end GPU's. Nobody is happy with it, but there it is.

OT. What I'm really not understanding, are the posts here that seem to not "want" new video cards to be created/released. Don't we all want this to happen? From either company?
Competition? Clearing of the old stock does make sense and discontinuation when the new cards arrive is just what both companies do. They both wish to make money, and will find whatever way is best for them to do so.

Charlie Demerjian (or the INQ in general) blew it with Nvidia by not agreeing to sign NDA's. Now he is barred from their events and inside information. He will never get over this apparently. But who cares. He is pretty much just a malice filled hack anyway. What I don't get is, if he didn't sign Nvidia's NDA, why would he be signing other NDA's for other companies? I mean, it appears the only company he hates is Nvidia. He loves ATI. Does this mean that he does sign their NDA's and is privvy to their inside info and hardware? It's all just too weird.

I can't wait for the new cards to hit. Should be very cool.
 

nosfe

Senior member
Aug 8, 2007
424
0
0
my point is that if its not official then its a rumor, at least from my point of view; there were some rumors of ATi rebranding low end 3xxx hardware in China or somewhere around there but they reconsidered so i'm hoping that it'll be the same with this mess
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Originally posted by: nosfe
my point is that if its not official then its a rumor, at least from my point of view; there were some rumors of ATi rebranding low end 3xxx hardware in China or somewhere around there but they reconsidered so i'm hoping that it'll be the same with this mess
I haven't seen anything like that. Care to share your sources? You could be right, but we'd need to see it.
 

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
21,209
50
91
Perfect. Thank you. Although they are from July and from Fudzilla, this is the best we have so far. And FYI, these links would have went well with your original post.

Now, lets see what happens now if this line doesn't pan out:

"So now we can easily say that this won?t happen and a more affordable HD 4000 will come with RV710 and 730 at some point in September / October time."

If RV710 and 730 are delayed, will AMD go ahead with the rename scheme if they can't deliver these GPU's to fill that market segment. Who knows. September is gone, October is 1/3 gone. So there is some bit of time left.
 

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
13,576
6
76
So what are the 270 and 290? That is easy, they are 55nm GT200s, aka GT200b, aka GT206. Nothing new, nothing spectacular at all. Why the new name then, other than desperation, if you get nothing different clock for clock? Well, that is easy, Nvidia simply has to bump up margins, and the easiest way to do that is to snow customers
And here the inq is ENCOURAGING the detestable behavior of naming completely different parts the same because"performance is similar".

And last I checked "cheaper to produce and consumes less electricity" was not "you get nothing but they are evil and greedy"

The only complaint I had about nvidia before is that they were silently updating parts with completely different parts under the same name.
If nvidia is now giving new names for such changes as die shrinks, then it shows they listened. (to their customers, and to the press... the REAL press, not the inq).
 

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
5,529
0
0
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001

I have a hard time seeing a Nvidia X2 beating 4870x2.
The 9800GX2 beats the 4870 in Crysis. The GTX280 is still the fastest GPU. So yeah a GTX2xx X2 would stomp all over a 4870. No question.
 

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
34,890
1
0
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Quiksilver
I'm starting to see what INQ hates nvidia so much....

Seems all nvidia does anymore is...
Cut prices of current gen cards and then a few months later put out a revised current gen card with higher clocks and a few extra shaders under the same name. Then a few months later bring in a new set of re-hashed cards with a die-shrink, higher clocks, better cooling, nd more or equal shader count's as next gen cards. Rinse and Repeat.

I would rather them just cut their losses and focus on a true next gen cards.
What is the difference with AMD ?

4870 is a rehashed 2900 series :p

.. letsee 2900xt .. 3870 .. 4870 .. the 4870 is not even 2x faster than 2900xt


I would rather them just cut their crap also and focus on a true next gen card.


ah yes .. i did predict 290 and 270 as the next naming convention
.. the GX2 i also promised - when Tesla first launched

i am also *certain* the Nvidia GX2 will kill AMD's X@ .. or they would simply not release it .. expect Power hungry and HOT ... but the new single slot champ
- so *i* am actually looking forward to getting a 290 and SLi'ing it with my 280GTX
- what Nvidia is doing is *survival* and smart .. theInq is a RAG with a very bitter Charlie
- sorry Charlie .. you are not even fit for a Starkist can with the rest of the Tuna and slow dolphins ...

i love theInq's conculsion:
(1) It was code named "Smoking Sepuku", but Nvidia didn't want to publicly suggest that this strategy was vaguely related to anything honorable, so it was renamed. We saw the memo, it was poignant. (2)

(2) We are, of course, making this all up.
:D
 

nosfe

Senior member
Aug 8, 2007
424
0
0
well, if they do make a gtx 280 gx2 i'd be really interested in the cooling solution, triple slot cooling anyone?
 

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
4,112
0
0
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: SSChevy2001

I have a hard time seeing a Nvidia X2 beating 4870x2.
The 9800GX2 beats the 4870 in Crysis. The GTX280 is still the fastest GPU. So yeah a GTX2xx X2 would stomp all over a 4870. No question.
I don't know about stomping. If they overclock GTX 260x2 hell out of it maybe. Yet it's way late to the party.
 

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
10,460
0
0
Everyone reading this forum should hope all three of these cards goes on sale next month.

Bottom line is "More choices + higher performing products = we win".

The GTX290 is especially appealling- a new single GPU performance champ is always welcome.

 

Janooo

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2005
1,067
13
81
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Perfect. Thank you. Although they are from July and from Fudzilla, this is the best we have so far. And FYI, these links would have went well with your original post.

Now, lets see what happens now if this line doesn't pan out:

"So now we can easily say that this won?t happen and a more affordable HD 4000 will come with RV710 and 730 at some point in September / October time."

If RV710 and 730 are delayed, will AMD go ahead with the rename scheme if they can't deliver these GPU's to fill that market segment. Who knows. September is gone, October is 1/3 gone. So there is some bit of time left.
What delay? What are you talking about?
4670 was released awhile ago and it is 730 isn't it? And what are 4350 and 4550?
Please, stop spreading misinformation about AMD/ATI. It's not nice from your position.

 

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
3,204
0
76
Originally posted by: nRollo
Everyone reading this forum should hope all three of these cards goes on sale next month.

Bottom line is "More choices + higher performing products = we win".

The GTX290 is especially appealling- a new single GPU performance champ is always welcome.
Exactly! I don't understand why this has turned into a Nvidia vs ATI crap. The more graphic cards are on the market, the more competition will be and we'll all pay less for more performance. Let's pray that Nvidia will release these cards next month.
 

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
4,112
0
0
Originally posted by: nRollo


The GTX290 is especially appealling- a new single GPU performance champ is always welcome.
I don't see how it's great for us when all it is a die shrink of GTX 280. Maybe another 10% better performance. Yet still unable to play Crysis max detail.
 

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
5,529
0
0
Originally posted by: Azn
Originally posted by: nRollo


The GTX290 is especially appealling- a new single GPU performance champ is always welcome.
I don't see how it's great for us when all it is a die shrink of GTX 280. Maybe another 10% better performance. Yet still unable to play Crysis max detail.
It's great for NVIDIA as they will clean up in holiday sales, where both companies make a good majority of their card sales.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY