nV GPU failures could be affecting certain desktops as well

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Originally posted by: apoppin
Originally posted by: Wreckage
Originally posted by: thilan29
The only reason the GPU is being suspected here is because of the Inquirer

Fixed.

No still broken .. except for the 3 or 4 true believers still left on this board
rose.gif

Nvidia has admitted failure already .. TechReport also thinks it certainly could be desktop issues as these HP model-specific problems only seem to affect Nvidia IG

Did they actually say, or confirm, that it was in fact the Nvidia IGP that is failing? Or is it that they are just suspecting it in light of the laptop issue?

the failure we are aware of is the one that Nvidia set 200$M aside for
- *that* failure .. the one they admitted :p

how many failures are you looking for?
:confused:

That's not what I asked. I asked if they actually said, or confirmed, that it was in fact the Nvidia IGP that is failing. I didn't ask about the 200 million. I didn't ask about the quantity of failures. What I am asking is, what in fact is causing the failures in these HP desktops?

What could be happening is:
The mass hysteria of the laptop issue is spreading.
The IGP's in those HP desktops are having issues
One of the other 100's of motherboard components could be having issues.

Take your pick. Come on people, it's not like PC's don't have components that fail other than the chipsets. Years ago, I was a Dell Certified tech and serviced literally thousands of Dell Workstations, Desktops, Servers, and Laptops. All had their own issues now and then.
The most prominent one I can remember, was an issue with many models of Dell laptops keyboards failing. It was a manufacturing defect, but it affected a few dozen laptops out of the 500 or so we had to work on. All were replaced under Dell's warranty. Must have cost them a lot of money to replace them, but they did under obligation. Everyone was annoyed at the inconvenience, but in the end they were happy their machines were fixed.

Oh, and one other nightmare that I recall. On certain Dell desktops, if Linux was run, the IGP's would fry crispy and render lines in bios and OS. Sometimes nothing at all. It took a while to narrow down this problem, but it was a strange issue. No problems under windows on the same models of desktops that were affected by Linux.

It took time for this last issue to manifest itself, and I don't think anyone could have foresaw this issue. But these machines were fixed under warranty as well with improved chipsets. It's what warranties are for.

If these HP machines are having issues, they will get repaired under warranty also.

Good post I agree 100%

It's hilarious to me people are taking OEM's word as fact. They too have a financial motive to switch blame and the only way this will be resolved is arbitration or court of law. nV so far is keeping their case strong by showing due diligence and good faith working with their 'partners' while they shoot from the hip and in the press.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: thilan29
And what does the word, "may", mean to you? I'm not playing semantics here dude. It's what was said in black and white. What you quoted.
So, now what does this all mean to you? HP enhancing it's warranties for customers extending to Dec. 2009. They are doing something. What is the problem?

To me it means that like any hardware issues it won't affect 100% of the computers that have the IGP in question. What does that whole sentence mean to you? Not just the word "may"...the whole sentence.

If HP said:
"HP is aware that certain IGP chips used in the HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop PCs may experience issues" instead of "HP is aware that certain Nvidia chips used in the HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop PCs may experience issues" then I agree it wouldn't be confirmation...but the fact that they named it as being the nVidia chips is confirmation that that is what's causing the problem. I don't understand how you don't see that.

Like SilentRunning said if they had implied that it will affect all those models 100% of the time...they'd have to do a full recall wouldn't they (for selling a faulty product)?.

Well, they haven't implied anything except that HP slimline PC's may experience issues.
And that they will be enhancing their warranty for said PC's. It seems HP is being pretty stand up about this.

agreed

HP is unlike Nvidia who is tied up completely by legal issues
- damned if you do, damned if you don't as far as talking about it

"[Nvidia] would like to be more upfront about this - but we can't be."

rose.gif

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Well, they haven't implied anything except that HP slimline PC's may experience issues.
And that they will be enhancing their warranty for said PC's. It seems HP is being pretty stand up about this.

Yes they have implied something (are you reading the same thing I'm reading?)...they've said they believe that certain nVidia chips used in the slimline desktops experience issues. And that's what this thread was about in the 1st place. No one is questioning HPs practices with warranty/customer service, etc. And you yourself said they're being stand-up about this situation so they probably wouldn't be lying about the nV IGPs causing the issues right?

Several people including you wanted confirmation (whether it was the nV IGP causing the issue) and you got it straight from HP.

Here's what you wrote earlier on:
"Did they actually say, or confirm, that it was in fact the Nvidia IGP that is failing? Or is it that they are just suspecting it in light of the laptop issue?"

And here's what HP said:
"HP is aware that certain Nvidia chips used in the HP Pavilion Slimline Desktop PCs may experience issues"

There's the answer to what you posted. If that isn't confirmation that it's the nV IGP causing the issues then I don't know what more you're looking for (or trying to avoid). Feels like I'm beating a dead horse here. If you don't want to believe what HP is saying then by all means you don't have to. So far what we've heard from TR and HP is pointing at the nV IGP being the issue with those desktops...if someone else has information to the contrary I'd hope they post it.

Originally posted by: shangshang
I find it a bit statistically odd that of all the reports and articles out there claiming this huge problem at NV, there hasn't been much people in HERE who are ACTUALLY reporting this issue! That to me is very statistically odd. I don't doubt that the problem does exist at NV, but it's probably blown way out of proportions.

I'm pretty sure most people here don't have motherboards with integrated GPUs (and even less with the ones in question) and most would have decent cooling...that might be why.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

They are investigating - all the facts arnt in so how can they make a reasonable assessment without sounding irresponsible? Unlike the OEMs who seem to be casting public aspersions. Lets be realistic about this -how does silicon just go bad? Heat and voltage which nV is not responsible for. If it's packaging nV don't build or even provide the end user cards/PCBs - OEM's contract that out. Again their call.

PS: Pop, maybe nV is responsible and makes crappy product but I dont think all facts are in. How you could being intelligent as you are amazes me.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Zebo

They are investigating - all the facts arnt in so how can they make a reasonable assessment without sounding irresponsible? Unlike the OEMs who seem to be casting public aspersions. Lets be realistic about this -how does silicon just go bad? Heat and voltage which nV is not responsible for. If it's packaging nV don't build or even provide the end user cards/PCBs - OEM's contract that out. Again their call.

In case you didn't read much about the laptop issue, AFAIK it was the mounting that was going bad with repeated heating and cooling cycles due to some material they used, not the GPU itself.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Zebo

PS: Pop, maybe nV is responsible and makes crappy product but I dont think all facts are in. How you could being intelligent as you are amazes me.

i just quoted them and you go off on a diatribe against me? THEY said they cannot be more upfront; and i speculated it is due to the legal quagmire that surrounds them.

Look Nvidia has been designing IG for a LONG time; for MANY partners and a huge part of their business is designing GPU for notebooks and desktops including slimline desktops as well as other HW applications

UP-Till-NOW,there have been no issues - nothing out of the ordinary - that could be said about their HW designs. HOWEVER, with mobile GPUs and clearly now IG, there are ISSUES with Nvidia's design.

The parts in question that Nvidia designed have extra high failure rates and Nvidia already ADMITTED they are basically the ones who will make it right and they have got together with all of their partners and decided how they were going to share costs of FIXING the issue. So Nvidia set $200 million aside for warranty service of parts that prematurely fail due to their faulty DESIGN.

We ALREADY know there is a FAULT in the solder in the Notebook GPUs [we think, as there are orders to CHANGE it] .. so the FACTS as they are admitted by Nvidia themselves, is that Nvidia is responsible
- this most recent failure is also a Nvidia fault and they are investigating the "how" .. with a little "if" thrown in for legal wiggle-room.

Just because you admire Nvidia and cannot IMAGINE they are responsible, does not make it so. Clearly the notebook GPUs failed - admitted by Nvidia; and now we have Nvidia IG also failing in HP slimline desktops .. with the fault being *squarely* laid at Nvidia's feet by HP, their current partner. And Nvidia does NOT DENY it. Just their most argent fans.
- and thanks for the compliment
.. i guess :p

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I suppose Nvidia set aside that $200 million to cover design failures that are actually Dell's and HP's fault?

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Creig
I suppose Nvidia set aside that $200 million to cover design failures that are actually Dell's and HP's fault?

But you have to realize that ALL of Nvidia's partners agreed to share the costs of the repairs - they are also evidently cumulatively paying a couple of hundred million dollars out of their own company to fix these potential broken notebooks.

Why?

"out of the goodness of their corporate hearts" ?
:brokenheart:

i don't think so .. if Nvidia was 100% at fault, they would not have agreed to anything and might have even sued them. Yet we hear of no lawsuits from the Partners - just b!tching and trying to keep their own image clean.

Perhaps they also cheaped out with some changes to their cooling that accelerated these failures
- of course i am speculating

but charlie does it :p
- and it appears that some actually wish Nvidia to die; perhaps some unnamed big corporation with their own IG to sell that loves to see Nvidia in this situation and will not hesitate to help drag Nvidia's name thru the mud ;)

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

Conclusion: there are more problems - as was originally suspected - with Nvidia gpus in Notebooks and now issues with desktop parts

it appears that Charlie was correct .. is correct .. but that does not make him a good journalist

He has very good sources on this story, so that makes him a partially good journalist That is the most interesting part, who is the Source? Must be HP....

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
- and it appears that some actually wish Nvidia to die; perhaps some unnamed big corporation with their own IG to sell that loves to see Nvidia in this situation and will not hesitate to help drag Nvidia's name thru the mud ;)

This situation is nowhere near bad enough to even begin contemplating that Nvidia is in any danger of going under. It simply comes at a bad time for them.

With the release of the 4800 series, ATI not only cut into Nvidia's expected sales figures but also forced them to drastically reduce the asking price on their very expensive-to-build G200 cards. This combination must have really reduced Nvidia's expected revenue for their entire G200 series. Now they have the additional financial drain & bad PR associated with these IGP failures.

Rough times, but hardly a company ending event.

ZimZum

Golden Member
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Mountains of molehills anyone? The 6150 IGP is ludicrously common, yet failures remain infrequent AFAIK. I've used tons of 6150s (and 780G, Intel IGP, etc) in client systems with no failures to speak of. Sounds like the problem with this batch/configuration (I'd be willing to bet dollars to doughnuts that all of those 'slimline' HP systems use variants of the exact same mobo) has been identified and will be dealt with.

AFAIK ATI IGP is >>>> Nvidia IGP for now, but whatever. As long as Nvidia makes good on payment/replacement of any defective parts that were faulty because of MFG/design issues on their part, what's the big deal? The 6150 is a pretty old design anyway, and has already been replaced by newer models.

Understatement of the year.

The "big deal" exists for those people who own an affected Nvidia based computer that is out of warranty when the GPU fails. As Arkaign pointed out, the 6150 is a widely used product, both in laptops and desktops. That's a potentially huge number of people who will end up having to buy a new computer because of this defect. With the ridiculously high pricetag the OEMs place on replacement motherboards, it will most likely not make economic sense to attempt to resurrect the failed computer. Instead, they will have to be replaced with brand new units. At the end user's own expense.

I'm pretty sure that once businesses have to start replacing multiple computers due to GPU failures using their own budget, they'll think it's a big deal, too.

I also think its a pretty big deal to prospective buyers. The prospect that my nVidia product might fail outside of warranty leaving me SOL is definitely not something that consumers are going to take lightly.

Look at IBM and the Deathstar fiasco. It was years before I and many others would even go near an IBM HD after that.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com

This situation is nowhere near bad enough to even begin contemplating that Nvidia is in any danger of going under. It simply comes at a bad time for them.

With the release of the 4800 series, ATI not only cut into Nvidia's expected sales figures but also forced them to drastically reduce the asking price on their very expensive-to-build G200 cards. This combination must have really reduced Nvidia's expected revenue for their entire G200 series. Now they have the additional financial drain & bad PR associated with these IGP failures.

Rough times, but hardly a company ending event.

i see the "why" now

http://weblog.infoworld.com/ya...0/appleas_new_not.html
http://www.propeller.com/story...psets-in-new-macbooks/
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/...e-looks-nvidia-chipset

Intel is *pissed*
:D

if Nvidia put out Crap, their chipsets would not be considered by Apple
- i bet we see AMD CPU in Apple eventually

this is all *political* maneuvering with intel likely behind this campaign to discredit Nvidia

Not even rough times for Nvidia - it is an expansion
rose.gif

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
if Nvidia put out Crap, their chipsets would not be considered by Apple
- i bet we see AMD CPU in Apple eventually

Unless nV gave Apple a very nice deal to put their chipsets into Apple computers. Considering the popularity of Apple products it's not too hard to imagine that. Same with the CPU, I'm sure Apple didn't choose Intel based purely on performance...they probably got a handsome deal to put Intel CPUs in their computers.

solofly

Banned
May 25, 2003
Problems for nvidia? Love it! I love when the greedy bastards lose money...

As for apple, who the hell are they competing against, themselves? lol That's about it... (ok maybe one day but I doubt will be alive to see it);)

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Zap

I saw quite a few dead Radeon X800 series cards BITD, some lasting mere weeks. Does that mean anything?

In the past four years the only brand of HDD that I've had to RMA was Seagate. Does that mean anything?
That depends; did ATi or Seagate ear-mark 200 million dollars to fix something that some still claim isn't happening?

Did vendors like HP and Dell publically state there?s a potential for ATi/Seagate to fail like they did with nVidia?

If not then no, your results don?t mean anything.

Additionally, AMD claims the problem will affect desktops that are turned on and off frequently. I don?t think it's a coincidence that?s exactly what I do (i.e. I power my rig on the morning and turn it off at night). I?ve now had two G80 cards die after just over one year of owning them.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: BFG10K
Originally posted by: Zap

I saw quite a few dead Radeon X800 series cards BITD, some lasting mere weeks. Does that mean anything?

In the past four years the only brand of HDD that I've had to RMA was Seagate. Does that mean anything?
That depends; did ATi or Seagate ear-mark 200 million dollars to fix something that some still claim isn't happening?

Did vendors like HP and Dell publically state there?s a potential for ATi/Seagate to fail like they did with nVidia?

If not then no, your results don?t mean anything.

Additionally, AMD claims the problem will affect desktops that are turned on and off frequently. I don?t think it's a coincidence that?s exactly what I do (i.e. I power my rig on the morning and turn it off at night). I?ve now had two G80 cards die after just over one year of owning them.

You call off-and-on twice a day "frequent"?
--i usually do reboots many times a day
:Q

You lost another g80 beside your Ultra?
- was that one covered by warranty?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003

Umm, no, he's calling on once a day, then off once a day "frequent".:laugh:

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
LOL

The only way this could be more out of place on an enthusiast forum is if it were NVIDIA cell phone chips being questioned.

I think this is news people need to be aware of, especially if they own the IGPs in question, but the drama here borders on bizarre.

"Yeeargggghh!!! See! An IGP part in a slimline desktop may have issues! Your GTX280s are doomxorz!! 1111!!!1111!!"

I'm typing this on a year old laptop with a NVIDIA 7000M/610M graphics chip that gets turned on and off five times a day, and gamed on if I'm on the road working. Do I care at all about this issue?

No, not really. Why would I be better off worrying or getting emotional about the issue? I haven't even checked if this is one that has the higher failure rates. If it fails, I'll check into my warranty options.

It's sort of sad to me that people can get so worked up arguing about some defective products, every company that manufactures anything has varying rates of failure on every product they produce.

Doesn't mean the companies are "evil" or "out to get you", or that their "other products must be bad".

The only people I can see being upset with this are ones who own these parts, the parts have failed, and the company has offered no remedy. I haven't seen anyone like that in this thread.

So the rest of you are apparently so concerned about people you haven't heard from maybe having a problem they might not get a satisfactory remedy for. I see.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we need to organize another "million man march" over this one- this is just the latest evidence people love to argue.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: nRollo
LOL

The only way this could be more out of place on an enthusiast forum is if it were NVIDIA cell phone chips being questioned.

I think this is news people need to be aware of, especially if they own the IGPs in question, but the drama here borders on bizarre.

"Yeeargggghh!!! See! An IGP part in a slimline desktop may have issues! Your GTX280s are doomxorz!! 1111!!!1111!!"

I'm typing this on a year old laptop with a NVIDIA 7000M/610M graphics chip that gets turned on and off five times a day, and gamed on if I'm on the road working. Do I care at all about this issue?

No, not really. Why would I be better off worrying or getting emotional about the issue? I haven't even checked if this is one that has the higher failure rates. If it fails, I'll check into my warranty options.

It's sort of sad to me that people can get so worked up arguing about some defective products, every company that manufactures anything has varying rates of failure on every product they produce.

Doesn't mean the companies are "evil" or "out to get you", or that their "other products must be bad".

The only people I can see being upset with this are ones who own these parts, the parts have failed, and the company has offered no remedy. I haven't seen anyone like that in this thread.

So the rest of you are apparently so concerned about people you haven't heard from maybe having a problem they might not get a satisfactory remedy for. I see.

Call me crazy, but I don't think we need to organize another "million man march" over this one- this is just the latest evidence people love to argue.

all this is evidence that YOU like to argue

this thread nearly dropped out of discussion, till you apologized for Nvidia again. Look, Nvidia evidently has their chipsets going into Apple machines .. do you think intel loves this news? Do you think they might consider "educating" charlie so as to possibly attempt to discredit Nvidia GPUs?
- this appears to be a politically motivated smear campaign - to capitalize on Nvidia's issues and make them appear *worse* than then actually are

always look for the real reasons when something is blown out of proportion
rose.gif

Creig

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Of course, Rollo, if it was an ATI part failing you'd be loudly trumpeting the fact that ATI's quality control is inferior to Nvidia's and would add this to your list of PhysX, CUDA & stereoscopic glasses as one more reason to purchase an Nvidia card over one from ATI.

Let's blow away some of your typical smokescreen...

How do you figure that? The issue is with GPU failures in both laptop and desktop computers. You can't get any more "Video forum" related than that.

Good for you. But not everybody is as blase' about possibly having to spend hundreds of dollars to replace a defective out-of-warranty computer because of a known manufacturing defect. Bump that up to thousands of dollars for businesses that purchase large batches of the same computer at one time.

No, you just think it's sad because it's Nvidia in the spotlight. If it were ATI, you'd be full-press attack mode. Besides, the scope of this issue is WAY beyond the typical numbers normally seen in the computer industry. $200,000,000 is a lot to set aside for warranty repairs.

No, it doesn't necessarily mean that their other products must be bad. But if it's a process or material used in the production of their other GPUs that's causing the problem, then the possibility exists that this issue may extend across to more than just 6150s. It at least bears investigation, even if just to isolate the exact reason for the failures.

So there's no reason to even discuss the issue, is that what you're saying? Give me a break. The only way to find out the extent of the problem is find out exactly which machines are using these parts and gather reliability evidence from owners and system administrators.

No, we're simply trying to get the full picture since Nvidia is, as usual, releasing as little information regarding this issue as possible. They have fallen back on their typical "Don't say anything and it will eventually all go away" approach to customer satisfaction. Some of us have to oversee equipment that may have been built using these potentially faulty GPUs. So it would be nice to have all the facts.

No, it's not a "million man march". But it is a 200 million dollar issue that isn't going to go away simply because you want it to.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
LOL

It's about video in a video forum...I don't think it's out of place. It's also a possibility that if this now extends into their IGPs...who knows how much more if affects?

A major reason it went so far was that when it was originally posted, certain people wanted to discredit the story because it was posted at INQ along with TR. They wanted proof...then HP gave it to them...but lol they still don't buy it (why?? one can only guess ;) ).

Nobody said nV is "evil" but the extent of this issue (including the laptops) has pushed it beyond normal defect rates which is why it's being discussed.

Didn't you say you were gonna ask nV about it? What did they say?

nRollo

Banned
Jan 11, 2002
Creig-

You only need to look at my recent threads on NVNews or Rage3d about the Diamond 3800 series to see that you are wrong about what I'd do if ATi had defective parts. I noted it as newsworthy, and pretty much let it go at that.

As far as your "investigation" goes, you'll never be able to put together anything here except anecdotal evidence. There are MILLIONS of these chips in the wild, we're just a couple guys here.

I didn't say it shouldn't be discussed, I said it's interesting to see such drama on an enthusiast board about IGPs. Personally, IGPs are pretty far below my radar. I guess they technically qualify as "video" but I think of the video forums as a place to get discuss gaming cards.

Thilan: I asked, got no answer.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000

--i usually do reboots many times a day
I don't think a reboot is what they mean since the system is still powered up when doing so. They mean taking the system state from off to on, or on to off.

You lost another g80 beside your Ultra?
Yep, my original 8800 GTS 640 MB died shortly after one year. I replaced it with an 8800 Ultra and that also died shortly after one year. So that's two G80 cards in a row dying shortly after one year (different brands).

- was that one covered by warranty?
I could have claimed warranty for both but it would have cost me shipping/handling so I didn't think it was worth it since I always have problems selling high-end cards locally, plus I wanted to move to a different card.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
BFG, give me your cards and I'll pay for shipping. I'll RMA them. If possible, that is. You're the only one that I know that does not act on their rightful warranty. Instead, you would have two bricks (at one time expensive bricks) holding down paper on a windy day to save a few bucks shipping/handling.
That doesn't sound very rational IMHO. In fact, it's quite strange. :confused:

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
sorry to hear that .. i think the Ultra is still going for a decent chunk of change, so i guess you are out :(

i DO complete power downs .. change HW .. and power back up .. several times a day. i really never think about it
. . . thought about it before
rose.gif

now the question is, are you still getting a Geforce?

I asked, got no answer.
Well, we got another certified driver update really quickly :p

:D