Now that WattMan allows you to modify every P-state, has this changed the way you undervolt your Vega?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Title, basically. Over the past year, I've been accustomed to only changing the P6 and P7 states on my Vega 64. I usually set both of these to 1000mv for my particular undervolt.

But now that WattMan allows you to change every P-State, I wonder if I should do something differently? I've noticed that some of the "middle" p-states (such as P4 and P5) are actually higher than my custom P6 and P7 states. Should I lower these as well? I've sort of tried it, but it looks like it causes some occasional instability with normal desktop activities (such as web browsing).

Not sure if it really matters or not, just thought I'd ask.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Don't know how it is with vega, but with RX4XX series IME you don't want to lower P1-5 states too much if any. AMD cards usually have very aggressive P6-7 voltages to be safe so lowering them makes sense, P1-5 not so much, plus P1-5 are "idle" states so lowering them won't save you much in terms of idle power/temps but may bring instability. Risk/benefit/hassle wise it just isn't worth it. I wouldn't tinker with them too much, lower them so that they aren't any higher than P6 but don't go below that.