NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 987 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
Old - 6.5/10
A film written, directed and starring M. Night Shyamalan, based on a graphic novel.

This was a very disturbing and interesting flic. Interessting premise, character development was a bit haphazard, but starts to come together the longer the film goes on. Ending was a tidy wrap up which left the viewer a little flat and felt unneccsary.

Jul 27, 2020

Seemed stupid and unnecessary. There's gonna be 3 more?

The masses are dumb to be lining up to part with their money for generic crap like this.

It was way too long. Didn't need to be longer than 2 hours.

The kids? I don't care about Jake Sully's kids, especially when he's just gonna keep having them like he's a baboon. He seems like that hapless dumbo who can't figure out where kids come from and thinks Eywa keeps implanting them in his wife's belly.

He lost his eldest so I bet there's gonna be one more in the next one. *groan*

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
D&D - 7.5/10. Fun movie, you don't need to be a D&D nerd to enjoy it, but it definitely helps.

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Every couple of years I rewatch all of the Columbo episodes. I'm in the middle of it now. They get better each time I watch them as I pick up more things I missed. Plus I love seeing all of the "old" tech from the '70's. BTW, "Pokerface" is a direct copy of Columbo.

Jul 27, 2020
Every couple of years I rewatch all of the Columbo episodes. I'm in the middle of it now. They get better each time I watch them as I pick up more things I missed. Plus I love seeing all of the "old" tech from the '70's. BTW, "Pokerface" is a direct copy of Columbo.
I think you would enjoy Monk too (maybe more comedy than Columbo)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i "watched" Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/reference/

(which should be written "honour amongst thieves" but hey, independence, amirite?)

I couldn't take much more than the intro. It's a D&D based film where the setting is fantasy but all the characters are from 2020.
Apparently, The Critical Drinker thought it was decent, but i cannot be bothered.

no vote.
Captain Not Kirk stars.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Knock at the Cabin

3/10

Had a very interesting premise and Bautista killed it, but there is literally zero payoff in the movie and it ruins everything. It's basically a big waste of time that keeps you interested until you realize how much of a waste of time it was.

It's my fault for watching another one of M. Knight's movies though. I did enjoy Old and this one looked interesting from the trailers, but damnit, as usual for his movies, it ends up terrible.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Knock at the Cabin

3/10

Had a very interesting premise and Bautista killed it, but there is literally zero payoff in the movie and it ruins everything. It's basically a big waste of time that keeps you interested until you realize how much of a waste of time it was.

It's my fault for watching another one of M. Knight's movies though. I did enjoy Old and this one looked interesting from the trailers, but damnit, as usual for his movies, it ends up terrible.
MKS had one hit. The rest is trash.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
MKS had one hit. The rest is trash.
the problem with mks is that since his 1 hit, everyone now expects a huge plot twist.
and since that 1 hit, has usually come away disappointed (alto i liked Mr Glass).
amazing how a 1hit wonder can last decades in the movie business. :eek:

he should throw a curveball once in a while with a move w/o a plot twist

Reactions: Charmonium

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Saying the rest are trash is harsh. Signs is pretty good. Apparently people like Split as well.

To me I find it strange he hasn't yet collaborated with Stehpen King, seems like a missed opportunity.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No, Signs is total trash.

Aliens travel light years to a world that is 75% covered in something that will burn them. Yeah okay.

"Swing away Jimmy!"

So fucking stupid...

Stephen King probably doesn't want to be associated with him because he generally makes garbage movies.

Reactions: Hulk

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
amazing how a 1hit wonder can last decades in the movie business. :eek:
Kevin Smith too. I mean, I love every View Askewniverse movie, but I know the guy isn't a great filmmaker. (Full disclosure: as much as I love the View Asknewniverse movies, I honestly haven't seen any of his other movies.)

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Signs is pretty good.
No.

Signs is well acted, and to a point, well directed too. You can decently get invested in the film, and i'm sure a good portion of the audience did - in fact, Signs has a reputation of being a film that *some* weirdos like. But having said that, i am not going to be too harsh in its critique, because this deus ex machina ending was VERY common in 1950s scifi films. War Of The Worlds ends with fever killing the bad guys, The Blob is killed by a fire extinguisher, it was way too common, so Signs ending with water being deadly, isn't too bad of a decision .. but .. you know .. it didnt NEED to be water. It could have been something else, they could have just put a little more effort in the script, because while some people just enjoyed the ride, some other started shouting in the theatre and made a big stink online because, come on, water is dumb. Even the flu virus isn't as dumb of an idea, it's not like you can see from orbit that our planet is full of viruses, but you can fucking well see it's covered - with - water. it RAINS water.

Hey, let's invade this planet where it rains DEADLY POISON, i'm sure that will work great.

FYI his name is NIGHT not Knight, ergo MNS and not MKS.
or just shamalamadingdong

Last edited:

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
You want a great ufo alien film? Close encounters of the 3rd kind. That's all you need. Still my favorite to this day.

• Love
Reactions: Hulk
Jul 27, 2020
You want a great ufo alien film? Close encounters of the 3rd kind. That's all you need. Still my favorite to this day.
Maybe you watched it when you were very young? I tried to watch it a few years ago but the first half hour was all I could take. It just seemed dumb.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Maybe you watched it when you were very young? I tried to watch it a few years ago but the first half hour was all I could take. It just seemed dumb.
LOL

Young people say that about any old film. Everything was slow burn in those days, buildup, what is cheesy today was fantastic then. Some of my favorite films of the era were led by Robert Redford. Most young people would find the golden era of his career to have boring films but they're not boring. The problem with younger generations is you all want explosions, big breasts, guns shooting left and right, lots of cgi and dead bodies piling up.

The old stuff is better. Always scintillating and keeping you thinking with your inner monologue.

Reactions: Artorias and Hulk

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
No.

Signs is well acted, and to a point, well directed too. You can decently get invested in the film, and i'm sure a good portion of the audience did - in fact, Signs has a reputation of being a film that *some* weirdos like. But having said that, i am not going to be too harsh in its critique, because this deus ex machina ending was VERY common in 1950s scifi films. War Of The Worlds ends with fever killing the bad guys, The Blob is killed by a fire extinguisher, it was way too common, so Signs ending with water being deadly, isn't too bad of a decision .. but .. you know .. it didnt NEED to be water. It could have been something else, they could have just put a little more effort in the script, because while some people just enjoyed the ride, some other started shouting in the theatre and made a big stink online because, come on, water is dumb. Even the flu virus isn't as dumb of an idea, it's not like you can see from orbit that our planet is full of viruses, but you can fucking well see it's covered - with - water. it RAINS water.

Hey, let's invade this planet where it rains DEADLY POISON, i'm sure that will work great.

FYI his name is NIGHT not Knight, ergo MNS and not MKS.
or just shamalamadingdong
Well I haven't watched Signs in like 15 years, so my perception may change on a re-watch, but maybe I won't so I can keep the childhood memory haha.

Yeah I will stick with Shamalamadingdong.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
CE3K is not a film for space nerds, it's a film for sweater wearing moms and dads. You know, people who did *not* watch Star Wars.

Reactions: igor_kavinski
Status
Not open for further replies.