NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 989 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Watching Sense8 on Netflix. About 5 episodes in and it's a pretty fascinating story so far, very unique, good acting, and as usual all depends on how it comes together.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
First season is excellent!

2nd is filled with Wachowski Sisters weirdness.

There's also some holiday episode too.

Good to hear. Finished Episode 6 last night - good stuff! And also discovered that the actress playing Nomi is indeed actually trans. Glad they cast someone in the community to play that role. Also, she seems pretty happy doing what she does, so I feel like oppressing her!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i had to recover because i was reeling from the awfulness of @IronWing 's post.

The short truth is that Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom is an awesome film.
It can be debated that Temple has faults and that it certainly isn't as good as Raiders, but it's still a terrific film of its own.

First off, it has several memorable scenes;
1. the joke on Indy NOT having his gun when the bad guy with the sword shows up
2. indy grabbing onto the ropes and using black magic to burn the stones out of Mola Ram's hand.
This is an important character development which i need to spell out for dumbasses people with short attention spans like you; in Raiders after the school meeting, in Indiana's apartment, he tells Marcus that he does not believe in superstition, while in Temple he is willing to believe in a desperate attempt to save the situation.
3. the lunch scene
4. the bugs scene
5. the fucking amazing mines set

You may or may not like the parachuting-on-a-dinghy scene, or the .. idk, minecart chase? which for a 1984 film is pretty damn decent, and maybe the introductory restaurant shootout isn't great, but the rest is pretty good, being both funny - where Short Round is an appropriate sidekick as "being annoying" is what sidekick kids do - and also pretty damn dark, again for a 1984 film, not very common to show people eating bugs or monkey brains.

Yeah i mean, if you want to stoop so low as to accuse Temple of not having the artistry of Raiders, which is one of the greatest films ever made, then maybe you just don't like any film outside of the IMDb's Top 100. It's a fun action comedy that's in your face a lot more, but it's not too different in approach than, say, Burton's Batman.

Solid 7.5/10

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
i had to recover because i was reeling from the awfulness of @IronWing 's post.

The short truth is that Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom is an awesome film.
It can be debated that Temple has faults and that it certainly isn't as good as Raiders, but it's still a terrific film of its own.

First off, it has several memorable scenes;
1. the joke on Indy NOT having his gun when the bad guy with the sword shows up
2. indy grabbing onto the ropes and using black magic to burn the stones out of Mola Ram's hand.
This is an important character development which i need to spell out for dumbasses people with short attention spans like you; in Raiders after the school meeting, in Indiana's apartment, he tells Marcus that he does not believe in superstition, while in Temple he is willing to believe in a desperate attempt to save the situation.
3. the lunch scene
4. the bugs scene
5. the fucking amazing mines set

You may or may not like the parachuting-on-a-dinghy scene, or the .. idk, minecart chase? which for a 1984 film is pretty damn decent, and maybe the introductory restaurant shootout isn't great, but the rest is pretty good, being both funny - where Short Round is an appropriate sidekick as "being annoying" is what sidekick kids do - and also pretty damn dark, again for a 1984 film, not very common to show people eating bugs or monkey brains.

Yeah i mean, if you want to stoop so low as to accuse Temple of not having the artistry of Raiders, which is one of the greatest films ever made, then maybe you just don't like any film outside of the IMDb's Top 100. It's a fun action comedy that's in your face a lot more, but it's not too different in approach than, say, Burton's Batman.

Solid 7.5/10
The movie had no plot. The opening scene didn’t suck because it was a shootout, it sucked because it was a 1980s shootout in what was supposed to be a 1940s movie. Wilie was painfully 80s. The actress explained her role best, “a screaming dumb blonde.” Her character never developed. Having Jones as James Bond in the opening was stupid. The movie would have been improved by opening with the plane crash and skipping everything that came before because it was pointless. I’m glad you recognize the lameness of the raft scene but none of the other scenes were much better. The “save us white man!” crap in India was anachronistic even by 80s standards. The script writers seemed to think that having Harrison Ford run around with a hat and a whip for two hours would carry the movie. In reality, it was tedious and stupid. The sidekick was okay. He was the only character in the movie who wasn’t annoying.

Reactions: Homerboy and pmv

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Cocaine Bear - 6.5/10

Dark comedy loosely based on a true story. Better than I expected; very entertaining. Worth watching just for Ray Liotta's last role.

Reactions: dainthomas

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Went to see RENFIELD (Nicolas Cage) the vampire movie, and was I surprised.
[SPOILER?] I thought this was a vampire movie, nope! It's a drug cartel movie. Or better yet, Dracula vs the drug cartel. Actually, more so Renfield vs the drug cartel. I don't think Nicolas Cage has more than 15-20 minutes of total screen time. The brief time Cage is on screen, he was great playing the vampire. The makeup was excellent. Cage's portrayal of Dracula was excellent. I'd say maybe the best vampire I've ever seen. Certainly better than the Tom Cruse vampire role, and maybe better than Bela Lagosi himself. I would love to see a vampire sequel from Cage, but more of the traditional haunted castle vampire. But this is not a vampire movie per se. It's all about Draculas henchman, Renfield, and his inability to cope with his destiny as Draculas servant.
The film opens with Renfield and other dysfunctional group members in group therapy, however the others dysfunctions are with drugs and alcohol and fitting into society. Then at some point, Renfield gets caught up with drug cartel war games, and being of super human powers Renfield takes out the bad guys. That draws the attention of drug cartel leaders seeking revenge on the individual responsible. Nicolas Cage pops up on screen from time to time but Draculas issue is with Redfield. Renfield's issue is with the drug lords. And.... thats about it. Thats pretty much the movie.
Lots of blood and a lot of faces splattered with blood and bloody body parts. Pretty much like your typical Quentin Tarantino film but not Tarantino. You know the plot.
Loved Cage's Dracula, not so much everything else.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Loved Cage's Dracula, not so much everything else.
Crap. May as well catch Cage's bits on Youtube at some point then. Why waste time watching a lame movie for the best parts? Sucks that the director/producer couldn't tell that more screen time for Cage meant better movie.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Terrifier 2 - 3/5

I heard people walked out of the theater and puked during the movie and I was pretty disappointed at how gory it was after hearing all of that. I mean yeah, it's super gory, but to the point that it just seems so fake that it's comical and it makes you laugh. It's kind of like the Mortal Kombat fatalities now a days in the new games. I didn't squirm at all and think stuff like in the Saw movies is tougher to watch than the scenes in this movie. Over all it was pretty stupid but Art made me laugh quite a lot with his stupid faces after doing something really bad and that was kind of worth it. It's also way too long and drags on a lot at the end.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
No, Signs is total trash.

Aliens travel light years to a world that is 75% covered in something that will burn them. Yeah okay.

"Swing away Jimmy!"

So fucking stupid...

Stephen King probably doesn't want to be associated with him because he generally makes garbage movies.

Maybe they were desperate and Earth was the only planet withinn range that supported them?

Doesn't explain them not wearing a raincoat to protect them from water though.....

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Burton’s Batman was the worst of the series.
Really

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) - 4/10

Eh.. it was sci-fi. I enjoyed (both) openings of the movie (I'm a sucker for Bowie's Space Oddity.)

But after that.. ugh. I mean, it had .. characters. And dialogue. And Cara Delevingne is cute. Beyond that.. I don't know what the point of the movie was supposed to be. It wasn't comedy, it wasn't action, it wasn't romantic, it wasn't poignant. The main character was.. unengaging? I suppose he was supposed to be some sort of space James Bond, but lacked literally every aspect of a compelling person?

Dr. Detroit

Diamond Member
Sep 25, 2004
SMILE - 8.5/10

Pretty fantastic horror/suspense movie with some solid acting and terrifying imagery. Overall this a must watch for horror lovers and had a solid premise. It borrowed a bit from "It Follows" but still felt fresh, audience engaging, and some solid jump scares. Appreciate that it had a bit of humor in there, if you're a sociopath, you laughed in a few scenes....

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) - 4/10

Eh.. it was sci-fi. I enjoyed (both) openings of the movie (I'm a sucker for Bowie's Space Oddity.)

But after that.. ugh. I mean, it had .. characters. And dialogue. And Cara Delevingne is cute. Beyond that.. I don't know what the point of the movie was supposed to be. It wasn't comedy, it wasn't action, it wasn't romantic, it wasn't poignant. The main character was.. unengaging? I suppose he was supposed to be some sort of space James Bond, but lacked literally every aspect of a compelling person?
You didn't get the same backlash about the comics / books / manga "being better" because Valerian is from 50 years ago and the people from that age don't really spend time whining on the internet, but i was a fan of the comics and Valerian was absolutely superb.
The film has absolutely zero of what made the comics good.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
"Rabbit Hole" on CBS (which I stream). Starring Kiefer Sutherland. Great so far, 8/10! Let's see where this goes.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - in all the years that this movie has been out, no one thought to mention just how awful it is. The plot, the acting, the stunts are unbelievably bad. 0/10
It's the 3rd best out of the current 4. It's a distant to Raiders and Last Crusade, but any Indy is great.

Jul 27, 2020
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.3

Mixed feelings. The story revolved around one character. They tried to make it emotional. I didn't feel the need to shed any tears. CGI was top notch. Fight action scenes were beyond awesome. Need to be seen on the big screen to truly appreciate. Unfortunately, they aren't many but well worth the movie ticket price. Rest is kinda meh. Warlock is meh. Villain is probably the weakest of the trilogy.

6.5/10 (mainly for the action scenes)

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Picard S03 10/10

I thought this was pretty much perfect. I loved the fact that they trickled in some of the old cast. I thought that was handled wonderfully. The ways in which the characters aged and evolved felt genuine and authentic. The resolution couldn't have been more satisfying. The plot was fairly complex but handled very adroitly. This is a series I'll definitely be watching again.

I hadn't realized just how much it affected me. Back in the 90's, I'd go out on my bike and come home to watch TNG. Didn't really think much of it. With this series, the characters feel almost real. I don't think they could have ended the Picard/TNG era very much better.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Picard S03 10/10

I thought this was pretty much perfect. I loved the fact that they trickled in some of the old cast. I thought that was handled wonderfully. The ways in which the characters aged and evolved felt genuine and authentic. The resolution couldn't have been more satisfying. The plot was fairly complex but handled very adroitly. This is a series I'll definitely be watching again.

I hadn't realized just how much it affected me. Back in the 90's, I'd go out on my bike and come home to watch TNG. Didn't really think much of it. With this series, the characters feel almost real. I don't think they could have ended the Picard/TNG era very much better.
it's interesting the had guest cameos from Voyager but none from DS9.
Would have been great (and logical) if they squeezed in ODO

Reactions: Charmonium
Status
Not open for further replies.