NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 889 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I haven't seen that. Just Identity, Supremacy and Ultimatum. Are the others worth seeing? I think there's a 6th one coming up soon.

The fourth one was fun because they didn't push the story, they just had another "super soldier" in play, so it was kind of a lighter one-off story. The fifth was one was OK, it's worth at least one watch if you're a fan of the others. But I'm definitely a HUGE fan of the first one, it was such a fun concept when it came out & Matt Damon did a great job on it! I re-watch it every few years!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
OK, so like, the new Dune is in all ways superior to the old one.

They spend the time and energy explaining things via visual storytelling, like you're supposed to do in a movie. Less reliance in narration and internal monologues.
Its grand and spectacular and they never waste of single second of screen time on needless exposition. Everything is set up to tell the story, whether moving the plot forward or establishing characters or settings. Its all used efficiently but unlike the first one they actually contain all the elements from the book, so hopefully you won't feel lost this time around.

Looking forward to part 2.

Ahhh that's so good to hear! Did you read the book prior to seeing it?

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I keep a table in a personal data program I wrote for myself. I had a brief career as a database programmer that fizzled out but I still use it all the time for my own data. That table is named Movies! Every time I watch a movie, I enter some data. Hopefully my system enhances my memory, don't exist to take its place, if you know what I mean!

What you see there is the contents of a memo field for that movie that's named "watched." When I access the record of a movie and it's flagged as being accessible to me, there's code that asks me if I just watched it and if so, asks me if I watched it today, yesterday or some other day (throws up a calendar function).

I do this for food, especially snacks, because sometimes I'll find something OUTSTANDING & then totally forget about it down the road lol. Or forget that I've tried something pretty mediocre until I have it again & then I'm like, oh...yeah

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
OK, so like, the new Dune is in all ways superior to the old one.

They spend the time and energy explaining things via visual storytelling, like you're supposed to do in a movie. Less reliance in narration and internal monologues.
Its grand and spectacular and they never waste of single second of screen time on needless exposition. Everything is set up to tell the story, whether moving the plot forward or establishing characters or settings. Its all used efficiently but unlike the first one they actually contain all the elements from the book, so hopefully you won't feel lost this time around.

Looking forward to part 2.

(oh, and they got rid of that fucking dog)

What dog?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
youze guyze are really worrying me with all these positive Dune 2021 reviews .. you KNOW i'm gonna say it's trash, right?
I can feel it. I can sense it in the force.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
The Bat Man has another trailer. With many clips from the last trailer.

This lockdown has really fucked up movie production.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I can't wait to see it on Friday on the six story IMAX screen. But if you want a part 2, you need to see it not just pirated. Depending on the box office and HBOMax numbers will determine if they finance part
Is it in 2D or 3D?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Is it in 2D or 3D?
2D. Wasn't filmed in 3D. But it was filmed in full IMAX size, so it will look good on all the huge screens around the world - from the 6 story screen in Manhattan, to the even bigger one in Australia and the new largest IMAX screen in Stuttgart

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I can't wait to see it on Friday on the six story IMAX screen. But if you want a part 2, you need to see it not just pirated. Depending on the box office and HBOMax numbers will determine if they finance part 2. They did not film it together with part 1 like Peter Jackson did with the LOTR trilogy. So donate some money to the cause whether you go to the theater or get HBOMax to stream it.
You think a few pirates make a difference to HBO? Game of Thrones was the most pirated TV show for its run, and that never stopped them.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I do this for food, especially snacks, because sometimes I'll find something OUTSTANDING & then totally forget about it down the road lol. Or forget that I've tried something pretty mediocre until I have it again & then I'm like, oh...yeah
I do it for food too. I add tables as I see fit. If I get the idea I could use a new table for whatever, I can add it very easily. I have functionality that makes it super simple and convenient. The whole thing started out super super modest, with just one table. It was a table we used for tech support for a product at a software company I worked at. After I moved on from that company, I kept expanding the system and adding features. I still use that product from that job, it's a report writer and the owner of the company granted me a license when I left their employ. So, I can actually use the data we had to troubleshoot issues, should I have any with the report writer, which I use very frequently.

Presently there are almost 500 separate tables in my system and each belongs to one of approximately 20 groups of tables. For instance one of the groups is transportation. It includes a table for my car, one for my bicycle, one for my quad skates, etc.

My food table is named Recipe, but if I enter "food" or even "fd" in the search field it goes right to that table, because I assign nicknames to tables if and when I want to. My Recipe table has 408 records right now. I have a complex search algorithm. I can ask the function to return the records that have up to 3 must-be-included strings or up to 3 strings, any of which included puts them in the selected set of records for inspection.

I can and do write code specific to tables if I see fit to create it.

If I decide that a record belongs in another table I can easily copy or move it to that table, which comes in handy.

This thing is a super extension of my mind and life. Like I said, it's important that it not be a substitute for consciousness, but an enhancement. Like you, I'm good with a keyboard and love to write. I have info in my system that's really useful if I need it, stuff I wrote 20 years ago even, that I'd never remember without my system. Much of it I'll for sure never see again, there's just so much. A lot of it is fascinating, when I look at it. If I need to know something I've forgotten, I can find it IF I entered the info in the system, well there's a good chance. Of course, there are times I should have entered info and didn't, or not enough.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
The fourth one was fun because they didn't push the story, they just had another "super soldier" in play, so it was kind of a lighter one-off story. The fifth was one was OK, it's worth at least one watch if you're a fan of the others. But I'm definitely a HUGE fan of the first one, it was such a fun concept when it came out & Matt Damon did a great job on it! I re-watch it every few years!
Re: The Bourne series.

I really like the first, but the second too. The 3rd, Ultimatum, I had problems with. Even on 2nd and last viewing 10 years ago, I thought the shaky cam was too much. Maybe it won't bother me now as much, I'll see. There was other stuff that bothered me. But that was 10 years ago, I'll see. It was Greengrass again directing.

Yes, I think Damon was super, at least in the first 2.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
A lot of reviews are equally as positive about this movie so this is great.

I can't wait to see it on Friday on the six story IMAX screen. But if you want a part 2, you need to see it not just pirated. Depending on the box office and HBOMax numbers will determine if they finance part 2. They did not film it together with part 1 like Peter Jackson did with the LOTR trilogy. So donate some money to the cause whether you go to the theater or get HBOMax to stream it.
wait. what?
why didnt they?
the would have saved some $ by doing them back to back

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
ahh.. the 4th movie in the Bourne TRILOGY.
Milking every last cent

I think that's exactly what happened...Renner came in for The Bourne Legacy & the movie made $276 million, so then Damon was like wait hol up & came back for a self-titled fifth movie, which made $415 million.

They'd be nuts not to do a sixth one...the first five movies have made a combined $1.6 BILLION dollars worldwide:

1634651900252.png

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Prometheus is a fine example of good ideas ruined by bad execution. The Alien franchise is the 2nd most wasted cinematic opportunity after Star Wars.

The trouble with Prometheus is the franchise got too aware of it's own mythology. It was crippled by it's own portentiousness, The first one worked brilliantly because it stayed resolutely unpretentious and stuck with 'blue collar guys aka space-truckers, dealing with a scary monster". And the second miraculously managed to keep that going, by switching genre and being a sort of Vietnam-move-in-space. Even the third, weak as it was, more-or-less retred the first one, with a prison instead of a truck.

But Prometheus had all the baggage of a '"mystical ultimate origin story that's going to explain deep and serious things" weighing it down and causing them to lose track of the need for believable characters and a logical storyline.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
wait. what?
why didnt they?
the would have saved some $ by doing them back to back
What Peter Jackson did with LOTR was rare. For a studio to throw in another 100 million for a dune 2 before knowing if the first movie will do well is a lot of risk, and they clearly decided against it.

The better the revenue is for dune the better investment we get in the franchise, not just a dune 2 but perhaps more.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
I'm such a procrastinator. I bought Dune(book) earlier this year telling myself I will read it before the movie comes out, well here we are and I haven't read a single page. :tearsofjoy:

otho11

Feb 16, 2011
Justified Seasons 1 & 2. 7/10

I was really looking forward to this given the consistently positive reviews but it was just sort of good but not great. As far as police shows go, The Shield and Bosch stand out ahead of it IMO.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Foundation - AppleTV. Watched all the episodes out so far. It's a beautiful series visually. The first few episodes are a bit rough, jumping around timelines and characters, they try to do too much, but then since then they have settled down and the story is really coming together. So stick it through the first few and you will be rewarded. Now I'm more invested in the characters and the story. Will have to see how it fleshes out for a full rating, TBD...

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm such a procrastinator. I bought Dune(book) earlier this year telling myself I will read it before the movie comes out, well here we are and I haven't read a single page. :tearsofjoy:
I did the same, but not because of the movie, because it's such an iconic Sci Fi novel. I did read a page or two but that's all. I was kind of turned off, but should give it its due and try harder to get into it. Maybe I should just see the evidently highly touted new movie. Well, you know, Roger Ebert said a lot of great books make lousy movies and a lot of lousy books are made into great movies.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Foundation - AppleTV. Watched all the episodes out so far. It's a beautiful series visually. The first few episodes are a bit rough, jumping around timelines and characters, they try to do too much, but then since then they have settled down and the story is really coming together. So stick it through the first few and you will be rewarded. Now I'm more invested in the characters and the story. Will have to see how it fleshes out for a full rating, TBD...
Thanks, no spoilers please, I just watched EP1 last night.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Cosmic Sin - :rolleyes: / 10

Watched this Bruce Willis trash on a flight to LA last Friday. Decent production, but no plot, script, tension, acting skills, protagonists, antagonists, or uhh.. craft services, I assume.

Skip it and just rewatch The Avengers. Or just stare out the window for 90 minutes.

Reactions: pcgeek11

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Started watching Speed Racer, Wachowski Brothers vehicle on recommendation in this thread. Now I'm a guy who won't watch a car race, has never played a racing video game. 15 minutes was all I could stand. When our kid protagonist was among a group of his peers who were acting as petty as possible, I bailed.

Status
Not open for further replies.