NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 891 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I thought I should read Dune before watching the new one (and also watch the original one). I'm about 90 pages in. It's aite so far. Not bad, not great.

stargazr

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2010
Fauda 7/10 Netflix
Israeli series about the age old Israel - Palestinian conflict. I really got hooked on it, filmed on location which is interesting in itself. Very well done. It was criticized in the Arab world but well the Israelis made it so....

Reactions: deustroop

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Turned off Free Guy after a few min.
just seemed stupid.
is it worth continuing?

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
just seemed stupid.
is it worth continuing?
it is very much a polished turd. I would recommend Boss Level instead which is .the.same.exact.film. but actually entertaining.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
just seemed stupid.
is it worth continuing?
I barely made it through the trailer for that without turning it off. My jaw dropped at how bad it looked. I'd stay far away from that thing.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
it is very much a polished turd. I would recommend Boss Level instead which is .the.same.exact.film. but actually entertaining.
i saw Boss Level.
loved it! (and left a review here)

will take your advice and save 2hrs of my life.

Next up for me: Army of Thieves

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Dune 2021, 7/10

Borrowed a friend's HBO login and watched it. Some things could have been explained better. But overall enjoyed it. It's a respectable outing. Some areas could have been fleshed out more to better explain the story.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Watched The Nightmare Before Christmas again for the first time in decades. Wow, I'd forgotten what garbage it was. 2/10

Danny Elfman was too wrapped up in doing the VO work 'cuz even the music sucked big time.

RearAdmiral

Platinum Member
Jun 24, 2004
Watched The Nightmare Before Christmas again for the first time in decades. Wow, I'd forgotten what garbage it was. 2/10

Danny Elfman was too wrapped up in doing the VO work 'cuz even the music sucked big time.

Well that's a pretty unique position!

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i have never watched that, or the grinch, or .. well, i tend to keep away from christmas movies alltogether. but i thought it was a well-loved film. Surely 2/10 is a bit excessive?

Nov 29, 2006
Dune 2021, 7/10

Borrowed a friend's HBO login and watched it. Some things could have been explained better. But overall enjoyed it. It's a respectable outing. Some areas could have been fleshed out more to better explain the story.

Id give it about the same score and feel the same way, maybe even a 6/10. Especially as a non Dune nerd fan. Never read the books, saw the original movie long ago and it was confusing. This one still leaves tons out that if you are not a Dune super nerd you will be let down by lack of explanation. Just leaves a lot lacking in detail of the universe and overall story line.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Army of Thieves 7/10

Pink Panther like comedy but we see it through the eyes of the thief instead of the bumbling chief inspector.

This movie is a spin off prequel to the zombie movie Army of the Dead.
He was the safecracker in that movie and Netflix decided to make a prequel around him. :eek:

ending of Thieves was stupid tho.
lazy writing to make things fit in Army of the Dead.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
HBO Documentaries: Four Hours at The Capitol - ??/10

Basically a chronological following of the Jan 6th riots at the US Capitol. Mostly on-the-ground phone footage with participants (both sides) providing the voice over narration.
I don't even know what to say about this one. Just mindboggling if this was fiction. I can't even begin to comprehend that it's fact and actual American history.
Unbelievable

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
being that i am "on holiday" (at my moms house with fuck all to do) the tv was playing
Passengers - https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1355644/
and i watched the whole thing, you know, properly.
Aside from the initial shock, it's not completely awful. What it does have, it's a decently entertaining story, and the "would you?" dilemma the film presents is fairly relatable.
The CGI and sets are decent and the production is ok.
What it has working against it is the performances of Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt, whom i wouldn't even classify as an actor, but more of "some guy".
NerdWriter did a video highlighting how, by rearranging the timeline of the script to read from Aurora's point of view, you come out with a far superior film, here:
Replace Pratt and Lawrence with two cheaper, actually-capable theater actors, and BAM! Oscar material.
Instead, it's just a very meh film that's just slightly less horrid than your 2016 average.

My vote: 6.5/10

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I'm surprised you rated it so high. I overrate sci-fi (kind of like @Ajay admits to) and I'd still rank it lower.
when you gotta contend with such awesome scripts as "we need to nuke the sun" it's not hard to do better.
The idea of the film is a social dilemma,"would you awake - and practically condemn to death - another passenger, to escape loneliness?" which is a lot more clever than "please help us shoot these bugs".
In the end the very convenient imminent destruction of the entire ship turns it into a love story, but that in itself is not a crime.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
I gave a try to Arcane. It's f fantastic. 8.5/10

It's biggest quality is that is more akin to a TV series than an animation. Even the episodes are 40 min.

Last edited:

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
I went to see Eternals today because it's cheap on Tuesdays at AMC, and was pleasantly surprised to find I generally enjoyed it. I think the critics were too harsh on this one. I'd say it a little below average for an MCU movie (make of that what you will), but worlds better than the dregs of the MCU like Thor 2 (which somehow has a better RT score).

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The Outsider 8/10

Just finished the season on HBO Max, and I really liked it. Definitely not a fast paced horror/suspense show, but you really get to know the various characters very well by the finale. So many movies/series does so little in character development (cough, Dune, cough), but that's not the case at all here.

If you do watch the series, there's a post credit scene after the credits in the finale that you will want to watch.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
The Alpinist - Nausea/10

Another look at a free solo kind of climber, this time dude becomes more into high altitude solo ice climbing.

Not sure what to say about it that isn't obvious. Gorgeous filming, and it's on the viewer whether or not this is something they'll enjoy seeing. My reaction was mostly "urrrgh, whhhhyyyy".

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Prisoners of Ghostland. 0/10

I guess that's a little harsh considering the fact that I only actually watched maybe the first 10 minutes.

So kept skipping ahead to see if got any better and it continued to look quite dismal.

I normally like Nick Cage especially in the Ghost Rider movie. I mistakenly thought that maybe this was a sequel. It doesn't seem to be. Yes, my taste in cinema sucks ass. Sue me. But this was just . . . I don't even know.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Prisoners of Ghostland. 0/10

this was just . . . I don't even know.
i do not blame you.
imagine if you watched more, and your rating went down again by 1 point. but due to stack overflow, your rating became 256/10; that's what Ghostland was trying to do - IMHO.

Reactions: Charmonium

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
No Time to Die 6/10 Too many gaping plot holes killed the effort. Craig did fine, but the script failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.