NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 888 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Star Trek: Lower Decks

It's been amusing so far, but I wish they hadn't tried to squash ~40 minutes of content into a ~20 minute episode format. Everything has to be non-stop, rapid-speaking characters, virtually no pauses between characters speaking, no time to breathe. It can be quite jarring, especially in the first episode.
Rick & Morty have gone down the same route - lost all comedic timing and replaced it with verbal diarrhea.

.. i got downvoted to oblivion on some i dont remember social media platform for rightfully calling out Lower Decs as being fabricated and homosexual, because, let's face it, it is. Cookie cutter, overtly-enthusiastic and manically hyper character who we already do not care for, but on top of that, set in a PG-13 comedy world but also with a pretense of realism which comes with the 'Trek world. I don't like it, i find it childish. Oh maybe that's because i am grumpy and dislike everything, but i think people should demand more from their entertainment.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
In a nutshell:

1. He dies at the end
2. Which is not what I wanted to see
3. Plus he could have, you know, just Facetimed them, and waited for a cure
4. Oddly enough I liked the "less action" version, you don't get action-fatigue like some other action movies
5. Only thing I really had a hard time with was Rami looking 40 in the beginning and then looking like, younger later lol
6. Although Rami did a good job
7. Lots of mumbling. I had a hard time understanding some of the dialogue. Maybe I'm getting old haha
8. The casket explosion, dang!
9. Glorious vehicles. Aston Martins galore, chef's kiss
10. The 3-week agent was pretty good
11. Felt like they switched the plot from virus to nanobots due to COVID & some things were reshot quickly
12. Like the death scene for the white-shirt guy who betrays them
13. I feel like Bond has become so cool that his coolness makes the movie fairly predictable
14. Also felt like we didn't get much backstory on white-shirt guy, Rami's empire, etc.
15. I kinda liked the new 007
16. Blofeld was pretty good
17. "It blew his mind" lol still with the dad jokes
18. The off-road stuff was fun
19. Oh my gosh the scenic shots of Norway while driving
20. My first vote for the new Bond goes to Henry Golding, followed by Michael Fassbender
interesting.. wonder what the studio will do for future bond movies?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
i'm gonna have to say no, here. I honestly could not even absorb the plot of the film due to the incessant shaky-cam that made me nearly vomit.
Shaky came is the worst thing to happen to entertainment since Tom Green.

Its been used way too much in film, TV, and even video games. I'm sick of it.
Not sure whether to blame Blair Witch or not. I think it was used before then. But either way I do not like it.
It bothered me when I first watched The Bourne Supremacy, definitely, but not so much on subsequent viewings and last night I would hesitate to call it "shaky cam." Greengrass is doing a lot more than that in his cinematic style in that movie. He's not one for a straight shoot on a tripod, that's for sure. My sense of it is that he's super in tune with where his story is, what the thrust of the scene is and he generates that with his style. I also like United 93, which I watched again on 9/11/21.

The series has generated $1.6 billion, those people are not vomiting.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Not really. ;)

Agent 007, is James Bond.

I know that "James Bond" is a fake name;
And, as far as i know, there are multiple agents who all have the designation 007, which means "license to kill". Basically it's a job role.
I think the films instead used a system like 004, 006, 009 .. where each one is a single agent.
I like to think that each actor who played Bond was to be a different agent in the role of Bond.

well turrns out that i am wrong, according to wikipedia. go figure.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That first movie is such a classic. The fight scene with the pen lol
I watched it last December, fourth viewing:

12/15/2020
02/20/2006
06/22/2005
06/20/2005

I have a DVD of the 3rd, "Ultimatum," which was Greengrass directed (figure to rewatch that one day soon). The first was not directed by Greengrass.

I like the scene in the 2nd where he finishes his fight with his Treadstone buddy and booby traps the house to blow up on the fly.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
"Another Life" on Netflix. B grade Sci-Fi, must have had a terrible budget. I recognized 4 actors.
Still I'm a sucker for Sci-Fi, so....
7/10 . 4/10 if I wasn't into Sci-Fi.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Prometheus is a fine example of good ideas ruined by bad execution. The Alien franchise is the 2nd most wasted cinematic opportunity after Star Wars.
Yep. I was okay with Aliens, as soon as I understood it was an military/action flick and not a horror flick. But the rest, a bucket of puss.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

12/15/2020
02/20/2006
06/22/2005
06/20/2005

I have a DVD of the 3rd, "Ultimatum," which was Greengrass directed (figure to rewatch that one day soon). The first was not directed by Greengrass.

I like the scene in the 2nd where he finishes his fight with his Treadstone buddy and booby traps the house to blow up on the fly.

How did you feel about the fourth one with Hawkeye?

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005

12/15/2020
02/20/2006
06/22/2005
06/20/2005

Do you keep a log of every movie you watch, or do you just have a really good memory?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Do you keep a log of every movie you watch, or do you just have a really good memory?
I keep a table in a personal data program I wrote for myself. I had a brief career as a database programmer that fizzled out but I still use it all the time for my own data. That table is named Movies! Every time I watch a movie, I enter some data. Hopefully my system enhances my memory, don't exist to take its place, if you know what I mean!

What you see there is the contents of a memo field for that movie that's named "watched." When I access the record of a movie and it's flagged as being accessible to me, there's code that asks me if I just watched it and if so, asks me if I watched it today, yesterday or some other day (throws up a calendar function).

Last edited:
Reactions: snoopy7548

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
OK, so like, the new Dune is in all ways superior to the old one.

They spend the time and energy explaining things via visual storytelling, like you're supposed to do in a movie. Less reliance in narration and internal monologues.
Its grand and spectacular and they never waste of single second of screen time on needless exposition. Everything is set up to tell the story, whether moving the plot forward or establishing characters or settings. Its all used efficiently but unlike the first one they actually contain all the elements from the book, so hopefully you won't feel lost this time around.

Looking forward to part 2.

(oh, and they got rid of that fucking dog)

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
OK, so like, the new Dune is in all ways superior to the old one.

They spend the time and energy explaining things via visual storytelling, like you're supposed to do in a movie. Less reliance in narration and internal monologues.
Its grand and spectacular and they never waste of single second of screen time on needless exposition. Everything is set up to tell the story, whether moving the plot forward or establishing characters or settings. Its all used efficiently but unlike the first one they actually contain all the elements from the book, so hopefully you won't feel lost this time around.

Looking forward to part 2.

(oh, and they got rid of that fucking dog)

A lot of reviews are equally as positive about this movie so this is great.

I can't wait to see it on Friday on the six story IMAX screen. But if you want a part 2, you need to see it not just pirated. Depending on the box office and HBOMax numbers will determine if they finance part 2. They did not film it together with part 1 like Peter Jackson did with the LOTR trilogy. So donate some money to the cause whether you go to the theater or get HBOMax to stream it.

Status
Not open for further replies.