NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 475 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Dirty Grandpa - 8/10 : While critics seemed to hate it and claim DeNiro is ruining his legacy with this movie, I thought it was funny. It was predictable, sure, but the jokes were pretty good.

Got dragged to it. Sorry. Flat, uninspired, lame.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Take Shelter -- 7/10

Drama starring Michael Shannon (win) and Jessica Chastain (win). It was kind of slow and an odd movie I thought, but I stuck with it and ended up thinking it was alright. I did kind of fall asleep towards the end though, but that wasn't necessary the movie (I'm frickin dead on Friday nights after getting 4.5 hours of sleep a night for a week).

Anyway, it might be worth a Redbox but I didn't think it was anything great. I did think it was very well acted and well put-together movie but I just can't highly recommend it (as I just surprisingly found out the critics did).
I saw this a couple years ago, and I remember thinking the ending completely undercut the story.
So the first act of the movie seems to be hinting at Shannon's character having visions. Then the film goes in a more sobering direction, explaining his visions are caused by his failing mental health. Then the ending lazily tacks on a big "Nope! We gotcha, he actually did have visions!". So instead of having a poignant message about schizophrenia, it just throws an unearned plot twist in your face and makes the third act pointless.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I freaking hate musicals. I didn't mind West Side Story and Grease when I was a kid, but not sure how much I would like them now. I hate everything else.

KT

Musicals, I believe, are meant to be "enjoyed" live on the stage, where you can (hopefully) appreciate the musical chops of the performers. A film of a musical is like a sketch of a famous painting . . . go see the original, son.

All that said, I, too, enjoyed West Side Story and (as bobo said) Moulin Rouge on the screen. I'd probably laugh through Book of Mormon and Spamalot, too.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I'm sad that The Brink was cancelled by HBO. It was renewed, so I was excited, then I just found out that they went back on that renewal and cancelled it. Somehow Ballers is worth keeping but The Brink wasn't. It's a shame.

Billions -- tentative 8/10
Caught up through episode 3, I'm more into now than I was after 1. Definitely looking forward to more.

Ray Donovan -- tentative 6/10
Started this once I caught up on Billions, and it's ok. It's not bad, but it's not good either. I'm only 2 episodes in so far, I'll give it 2 more to draw me in or I'm moving on to something else.

Jupiter Ascending horribly bad. It has some interesting visuals at times, but not enough to justify its existence.

It's not a good movie. HOWEVER. I will say that it's one of those movies that's so bad that it's almost good, if that makes sense -- or at least, it's entertaining enough, even if it's just bad. I've watched it once, I actually WANT to watch it again for the audio/visual experience.

i hate musicals too but rock of ages and pitch perfect were great movies. pitch perfect 2 sucked though.

I really liked Pitch Perfect. Pitch Perfect 2 wasn't as good, but I don't think it necessarily sucked. Part of the reason PP1 was so good was that it caught everyone by surprise. PP2 was just more of the same, and by default it's not as good. I went in to PP2 with low/mediocre expectations because sequels like that never live up to the original, and it was better than I expected.

Last edited:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Musicals, I believe, are meant to be "enjoyed" live on the stage, where you can (hopefully) appreciate the musical chops of the performers. A film of a musical is like a sketch of a famous painting . . . go see the original, son.

All that said, I, too, enjoyed West Side Story and (as bobo said) Moulin Rouge on the screen. I'd probably laugh through Book of Mormon and Spamalot, too.

Could not make it through Moulin Rouge. When they started doing Smells Like Teen Spirit, I was out and just turned it off. D:

I've only seen one musical on Broadway and hated that too, so not sure I will go to another one. I've been to just plays (no singing) and I find those way more enjoyable.

It's not a good movie. HOWEVER. I will say that it's one of those movies that's so bad that it's almost good, if that makes sense -- or at least, it's entertaining enough, even if it's just bad. I've watched it once, I actually WANT to watch it again for the audio/visual experience.

I liked it. The movie was so batshit insane, I could not help but enjoy it.

KT

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Ride Along 2 - 6.5/10 - OK, not great, but not bad, most of the funny stuff is toward the end. I didn't enjoy it as much as the first one, and still prefer both 21 Jump Street movies to these.

Xonim

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2011
I've only seen one musical on Broadway and hated that too, so not sure I will go to another one. I've been to just plays (no singing) and I find those way more enjoyable.

My wife made me go to Les Miserables in Chicago once. Worst 3 hours of my life.

For whatever reason, I agreed to go see Wicked in NYC. It was amazing, we're actually planning on trying to snag tickets when the traveling show comes through here. It was really good.

Also going to see the Book of Mormon in San Diego next month. Hopefully that's good.

The movie was so batshit insane, I could not help but enjoy it.

KT

That's an excellent way to put it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
What an era that was... when you could use an American accent when playing a European.

I don't know, the era before that showed us that when playing ancient Romans, Greeks, modern day Russians or Nazis or whatever--you had to speak English with a British accent.

That seems to have returned, for whatever reason.

I'm not sure what difference it would make in Amadeus, using an American or English accent, when the individuals portrayed would be speaking either Austrian or German (mostly German, I suppose).

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
The Water Diviner - 7/10

Interesting idea in that it focuses on Australian involvement in WWI. It's about an Aussie farmer who goes to Turkey after the war to look for his sons. There are parts that are predictable and not very well acted, but overall I thought it was entertaining. It also gives you a bit of the Turkish perspective.

Russel Crowe is pretty good and is the only actor I recognized. He's the lead of course.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
My wife made me go to Les Miserables in Chicago once. Worst 3 hours of my life.

For whatever reason, I agreed to go see Wicked in NYC. It was amazing, we're actually planning on trying to snag tickets when the traveling show comes through here. It was really good.

Also going to see the Book of Mormon in San Diego next month. Hopefully that's good.

That's an excellent way to put it.

I like musicals, caught Le Mis and Wicked in NYC, I was amazed by the sound systems, best I've ever experienced.

Enjoyed Jersey Boys too, lots of amazing songs from back in the day.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
The Water Diviner - 7/10

Interesting idea in that it focuses on Australian involvement in WWI. It's about an Aussie farmer who goes to Turkey after the war to look for his sons. There are parts that are predictable and not very well acted, but overall I thought it was entertaining. It also gives you a bit of the Turkish perspective.

Russel Crowe is pretty good and is the only actor I recognized. He's the lead of course.

Was wondering about this one. I think it's Crowe's directorial debut? I'll have to keep it on my radar even though I'm generally not a war movie guy.

KT

sigmanova

Sep 30, 2010
Kung Fu Panda 3 (6.5/10)

not nearly as good as the first two and while the third was entertaining; you
could tell they were trying too hard and a lot of the movie seemed to drag on.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Was wondering about this one. I think it's Crowe's directorial debut? I'll have to keep it on my radar even though I'm generally not a war movie guy.

KT
It's not really a war movie. There are flashbacks to the war and some fighting during the "present" timeline of the movie, but those don't get the majority of screen time by any means.

It mostly focuses on the events leading up to his search and the people he meets in Turkey. It's hard to say much more w/o giving things away.

If this was his first directing job, I'd say that it was a very respectable effort.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
I went to see "Hail, Caesar!" on Saturday, for some reason. The previews seemed funny. Good cast.

Terrible movie. I don't have a lot of specifics to provide, mostly because I was nodding off for the majority of the movie. Some folks in the theater seemed to like it (although, apparently, not many of them)...way too dry for me.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
The Visit - 6/10 - Kinda generic horror/thriller. Not terrible, probably worth a watch if you're into the genre.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
BigShort 9/10

loved it. funny, entertaining.

especially loved the symbolism of the sec inspector being in bed w/Goldman sachs in exchange for a high paying job once she quits the sec.

Perknose

Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I went to see "Hail, Caesar!" on Saturday, for some reason. The previews seemed funny. Good cast.

Terrible movie. I don't have a lot of specifics to provide, mostly because I was nodding off for the majority of the movie. Some folks in the theater seemed to like it (although, apparently, not many of them)...way too dry for me.

I'm going to see it anyway. I think/hope I'll like it more than you do. We'll see.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I absorb everything from the Coen brothers, so of course I will see it. But this isn't one that has had me excited.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Hoping to get to Caesar this week. I've heard it's more like A Serious Man than some of their others, which has me excited since that is my favourite Coen film.

KT

Status
Not open for further replies.