NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 474 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Sweeney Todd - Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) - haven't brought myself to finish watching it / 10

It's a musical. Why make a film with Johnny Depp, Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter into a musical? This isn't necessarily a one-way ticket to low-rating city in my opinion (there are musicals that I'm quite fond of), but this film seems to be a case of "oh dear, we haven't got enough decent dialogue for half an hour, let alone an entire film... why don't we make it a musical?".

The other thing that really got my goat about this film was the god-awful CGI that was the opening credits.

I wanted to like this film; I wanted to see Alan Rickman really get his teeth into playing the villain again, but I don't know, being surprised that this film is a musical is like tuning into a documentary by David Attenborough and then suddenly everyone breaks into song, or perhaps they say "screw it, this is going to be a first-person shooter from now on"... it's just weird.

I wouldn't put musicals at the top of my list, but I did get a bit of a kick out of Sweeney Todd when it came out.

Most things like that are pretty much a Broadway type of adaption of course.

Little Shop of Horrors, Chicago, Rocky Horror Picture Show, The Wizard of Oz, An American in Paris, The Producers, movies along those lines I'll even just watch parts of occasionally for grins and giggles.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Not liking something is a feeling.

Sometimes it just takes a little physical reinforcement to get the right Singing in the Rain "feeling".

():)

tumblr_n6zihhQep21rawb5do1_500.gif

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2004
I freaking hate musicals. I didn't mind West Side Story and Grease when I was a kid, but not sure how much I would like them now. I hate everything else.

KT

Rent is awesome. But if you don't have a good home theater/entertainment center you will not like it.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Musicals? I loved Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid, and one of the numbers from The Lion King ("Be Prepared"). I also loved Little Shop of Horrors (more Menkin/Ashman stuff, the movie soundtrack has a lot more that was cut from the film). I also like good old R&H musicals like "Oklahoma!" and "The Sound of Music."

I don't like *all* musicals. I tried to watch Les Miserables (Hugh Jackman / Russell Crowe / etc). I couldn't finish that garbage. I only made it less than halfway. I tried to watch "Into the Woods" and couldn't even get started. I saw a scene from "Rock of Ages" and felt seething rage toward the people responsible for making that.

Haven't seen Sweeney Todd, but I would probably hate it.

Can't believe I left this one out!

My favorite straight-up musical: "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut!"

I really want to see "The Book of Mormon" someday.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i hate musicals too but rock of ages and pitch perfect were great movies. pitch perfect 2 sucked though.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
i hate musicals too but rock of ages and pitch perfect were great movies. pitch perfect 2 sucked though.

Rock of Ages should have been nuked from orbit in production :p

I just skimmed through parts of it and said...

ywLvQao.gif

I guess I haven't seen Pitch Perfect, but it's not really something I get the feeling I'd enjoy.

Last edited:

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Out of the Furnace - 1/10

Wow what a terrible movie. So much disappointment given the cast.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
The Intern - 7/10

Not mind blowing or anything, just an enjoyable movie. Didn't know anything about the movie other than Anne Hathaway and Robert De Niro were in it.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Hmm, I never really thought of Pitch Perfect as a musical, but I guess it is. I really liked that one a lot.

I watched maybe 3 minutes of Rock of Ages then I had to turn it off. Just unbearable.

KT

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
musicals must be both my fav and most hated genre, at the same time.

fav:

1) little shop of horrors

2) rocky horror

3) blues brothers (technically not a musical, but close enough)

4) phantom of paradise

5) amadeus (again, close enough)

6) the wall

7) tommy

8) The Wizard Of Oz !!

the commitments, the full monty, priscilla, spinal tap, jesus christ superstar, labyrinth, absolute beginners, metropolis, and practically every walt disney film ever.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Amadeus is not a musical. It is, however, one of my all time favourite films.

KT

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Dirty Grandpa - 8/10 : While critics seemed to hate it and claim DeNiro is ruining his legacy with this movie, I thought it was funny. It was predictable, sure, but the jokes were pretty good.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
What an era that was... when you could use an American accent when playing a European.

Meh, I don't really care about that stuff. Take Valkyrie for example; I love that movie and they just speak English with their normal speaking voices the entire time, even though they are supposed to be German or whatever.

KT

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Take Shelter -- 7/10

Drama starring Michael Shannon (win) and Jessica Chastain (win). It was kind of slow and an odd movie I thought, but I stuck with it and ended up thinking it was alright. I did kind of fall asleep towards the end though, but that wasn't necessary the movie (I'm frickin dead on Friday nights after getting 4.5 hours of sleep a night for a week).

Anyway, it might be worth a Redbox but I didn't think it was anything great. I did think it was very well acted and well put-together movie but I just can't highly recommend it (as I just surprisingly found out the critics did).

Status
Not open for further replies.