NOW CLOSED ; List some movies you've watched recently. Theatre, rental, TV... and give a */10

Page 477 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
oh no, Billions is good. solid 8/10, and Giamatti is actually good for once, the rest of the cast is excellent, and the girls are hot. the story, hmm, so so.

Dude111

Golden Member
Jan 19, 2010
I last watched NO ESCAPE (1994) on VHS
icon7.gif

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Deadpool - 8/10 - It's definitely one of those movies where you'd probably have to enjoy that sort of humor to like it. However, if you're interested in it, you probably already know who Deadpool is, so that's probably not a great sort of "review". Overall, I thought they did a good job. There were a few parts where I thought they missed a good joke opportunity, but not a bad showing. Also, there is a scene after the normal credits.

Xenon

Oct 16, 1999
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 8/10

This is a really good show that no one is watching. It can be surprisingly dark and explicit for a network comedy. It apparently was originally meant for Showtime before they dropped it. The lead actress was a youtube star and is the co-creator and already won the Golden Globe for best comedy actress. Hope it sticks around. Linked is the promo for the show.

https://youtu.be/JKnWw7ou4ik

Edit: You'll have to torrent or pay for the first few episodes. For some reason they only have the last 5 available on Hulu.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Deadpool does look interesting, I'll be seeing it in the future.

I really had forgotten about the characters back ground pre costume I guess, from another movie, looks interesting.

On a side note, Mercy Street on PBS seems to get better every episode to me, not going to rate it as there haven't been that many out yet in the first season.

Last edited:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 8/10

This is a really good show that no one is watching. It can be surprisingly dark and explicit for a network comedy. It apparently was originally meant for Showtime before they dropped it. The lead actress was a youtube star and is the co-creator and already won the Golden Globe for best comedy actress. Hope it sticks around. Linked is the promo for the show.

Edit: You'll have to torrent or pay for the first few episodes. For some reason they only have the last 5 available on Hulu.

It's actually one of those things I've never watched, still skeptical.

Last edited:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 8/10

Seems almost like a remake of this Beauty and the Beat:
https://youtu.be/B0Rau01wbeo

It's a well-made parody of Belle (Little Town) from Disney's Beauty and the Beast.
Original: http://youtu.be/ovhdfa1sUoM

Edit: Darn. That one ends right before Gaston. This crappier one has it though. http://youtu.be/Mx1MmY1Bb50

Last edited:

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 8/10

^^^ KT should definitely watch this promo, it really looks like his kind of show! :p :biggrin:

Myself, I tried to get through the premiere ep and couldn't, but maybe I'll give it another shot, only this time heavily stoned. I have a feeling that would help a lot! :cool:

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
^^I've heard it's a musical, so never even tried it out.:)

One show I do like is Jane The Virgin. It's cute and amusing.

KT

McLovin

Golden Member
Jul 8, 2007
Saw Deadpool last night.

4/7 would watch again.

Opening credits are perfect and make sure you stay after the credits!

Whenthe jokes land, they are perfect. Unfortunately there are a few places where the movie drags and the jokes aren't THAT funny.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i cannot stand this trend of having "hidden" scenes after the credits. i will only watch them at home because i can fastforward real quick past them.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
i cannot stand this trend of having "hidden" scenes after the credits. i will only watch them at home because i can fastforward real quick past them.

If I enjoyed it enough to care about what might be after the credits I'm usually interested in learning about who made it and where it was made by watching the credits too. Often there are cool little eastereggs hidden in there, like in every episode of The Venture Bros.

It is pretty tedious with the SFX blockbusters but they now list most of the digital guys in three or four columns to skim right past.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 8/10

I like this show but it does have that soap opera vibe. What I mean to say is that it really is basically a soap opera with musical numbers embedded. And despite the fact that I don't like either musicals or soap operas as a general rule, this show is often very funny.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Mad Dogs (Amazon TV) -- 8/10

After posting a couple of weeks ago that I started in on Mad Dogs and was loving it, I finally got around to wrapping up the series.

I can say it's a sold 8/10 rating from me -- a pleasant surprise that really could have flown under the radar. Sure there are some "oh yeah right" moments where you have to suspend some belief, but I thought the acting, the pace, the general "feel" of the series was really good.

I'm glad they left it open to a potential second season. Hopefully it gets picked up.

Definitely recommended.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mad Dogs (Amazon TV) -- 8/10

After posting a couple of weeks ago that I started in on Mad Dogs and was loving it, I finally got around to wrapping up the series.

I can say it's a sold 8/10 rating from me -- a pleasant surprise that really could have flown under the radar. Sure there are some "oh yeah right" moments where you have to suspend some belief, but I thought the acting, the pace, the general "feel" of the series was really good.

I'm glad they left it open to a potential second season. Hopefully it gets picked up.

Definitely recommended.

it wasn't the "oh yeah right" moments that bothered me in this show, it was the stupid dialog that came up completely random and was so out of place, and where/when they would have the discussions that were kinda meh to me.

don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the show too, but it had a lot of flaws. but the end goal was to entertain me and it did that.

i've got 1 episode of narcos left and narcos is on a whole other level compared to mad dogs, everything about it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
it wasn't the "oh yeah right" moments that bothered me in this show, it was the stupid dialog that came up completely random and was so out of place, and where/when they would have the discussions that were kinda meh to me.

don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the show too, but it had a lot of flaws. but the end goal was to entertain me and it did that.

i've got 1 episode of narcos left and narcos is on a whole other level compared to mad dogs, everything about it.

Agreed. There were some moments of ..."wait, what?". I just liked the whole vibe of the show. I thought the slow burn character development was pretty well done and some moments were tense. You could tell it was one of those shows that suffered from being "budget" though.

Funny you mention Narcos - it is on my very short list. Will fire it up ASAP.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Agreed. There were some moments of ..."wait, what?". I just liked the whole vibe of the show. I thought the slow burn character development was pretty well done and some moments were tense. You could tell it was one of those shows that suffered from being "budget" though.

Funny you mention Narcos - it is on my very short list. Will fire it up ASAP.

yeah this was VERY apparent in the show, but i kind of just put that aside and still liked it for what it was. overall i thought the acting was pretty poor too, other than the main guys (and even some of them weren't great).

Status
Not open for further replies.