Nothing Ever Changes But The Dates And The Locations

Page 21 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Greg Abbott wonders "why did the government do this? "

Uh, Governor, you ARE the fucking government.

Abbott is incapable of discussing ANYTHING without drawing in typical conservative bugbears. He incorrectly said that the victims of the Cleveland shooting were illegal immigrants. When the state was entirely without power for a week during a winter storm, he blamed renewables when it was actually the natural gas network that went down.

When he blames “the government,” among conservatives that is inherently understood to be the federal government. There’s no logic to it and it doesn’t matter. This framing lets conservatives direct their fear and anger toward something they’re comfortable fearing and hating, rather than having to take an uncomfortable look at how their own state policies have helped create the surge in gun violence.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The incident is Brownsville, possibly because the guy isn’t being cooperative with identifying himself. The Allen Outlet Mall shooter, most definitely not an illegal, as illegals cannot be licensed security guards in Texas.

Also, Hispanic is an ethnicity, more than half of Hispanics in Texas are classified as white.

I can hear Abbott now : “Texas has suffered another mass shooting, this time at the hands of a man whose name sounds really Mexican.”

When will Abbott put out a tweet highlighting how the shooter was an American citizen, a neo-nazi and a white supremacist?

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I can hear Abbott now : “Texas has suffered another mass shooting, this time at the hands of a man whose name sounds really Mexican.”

When will Abbott put out a tweet highlighting how the shooter was an American citizen, a neo-nazi and a white supremacist?
Never. He blames government but the GOP has been in total control over Texas for almost 30 years now.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Never. He blames government but the GOP has been in total control over Texas for almost 30 years now.

Heard a lot about how people were moving to Texas for safety and freedom when I was there even though the state has an astonishingly high rate of gun violence compared to the unsafe states people were supposedly fleeing. The only freedom really noticed was that of just pretending problems don’t exist or that they aren’t getting worse. Which I guess is modern conservatism in a nutshell.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Go Republicans!

Well you know he would've done the same thing with a knife or a club if he didn't have a gun. Because, you know, guns don't kill people, crazy people (with guns) kill people.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Heard a lot about how people were moving to Texas for safety and freedom when I was there even though the state has an astonishingly high rate of gun violence compared to the unsafe states people were supposedly fleeing. The only freedom really noticed was that of just pretending problems don’t exist or that they aren’t getting worse. Which I guess is modern conservatism in a nutshell.
Yeah, by far the most agressive behavior I've ever experienced has all happened in TX. I've had a gun pulled on me driving through Dallas and had multiple people multiple times go complete insane road rage in TX. Even in Oklahoma I've never had anyone try to run me off the road or keep me from passing them while they slow down to 25 mph on the interstate.

TX actually seems to have become less dickish since the Californians started flooding in.

Reactions: Pohemi

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Go Republicans!

GBLE7LQS3BCVDHX5UJXPEOI5WM.jpg

Pic of the victim

• Love
Reactions: Linux23

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Neo-nazi links officially confirmed:

A preliminary review of what is believed to be the shooter’s social media accounts reveal hundreds of posts that include racially or ethnically motivated violent extremist rhetoric, including neo-Nazi material and material espousing white supremacy, two senior law enforcement officials said.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So, here's a deeper dive into some of the dude's online history:

Uh ... it's ugly, and not exactly inconclusive as to where he was coming from.
'The motive for the attack remains unclear'.

Does it? I mean sure it's possible that it was motivated by something other than white supremacy but it sure as shit is the most likely answer.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
'The motive for the attack remains unclear'.

Does it? I mean sure it's possible that it was motivated by something other than white supremacy but it sure as shit is the most likely answer.

Ooh, let me guess: "economic anxiety"

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Every day I think about what Sadiq Khan, mayor of London once said terror attacks in the UK being "part and parcel" of living in a big, global city.

Well, being at risk of being mowed down by gunfire is "part and parcel" of living anywhere in America. All we have left is just hoping it's not our loved ones some day. That's it, that's all we are reduced to.

Mar 11, 2004
Guess we know what can get Titter CEO to stop jacking off in his dad's emerald mine and that's so he can question if a mass shooter was really a white supremacist.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
Actually modern conservatism mentality is to blame the "liberals" fleeing from blue states and bringing the high crime rate with them. So, now they can say see our state was safe until all these liberals started showing up. Although none of that is true, but that's not going to stop them from saying it. Two birds, one stone.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Pohemi