Nothing Ever Changes But The Dates And The Locations

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
There are just too many to keep posting. My buddy in Denver says at least 10 people were shot when the Nuggets won, then at some free concert as well. Now we have a shooter at a music festival at the Gorge in Washington State, from what I've heard one of the most gorgeous venues. This is the America republicans are fine with and have created. Monsters.

it is beautiful, I have been to the venue and campground. My nieces saw Brandi Carlile and Joni Mitchell there last weekend. It breaks my heart to think of this suffering, and how close it is to all of us.

Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
it is beautiful, I have been to the venue and campground. My nieces saw Brandi Carlile and Joni Mitchell there last weekend. It breaks my heart to think of this suffering, and how close it is to all of us.

I hope to make it one day. My brother-in-law and sister have always dreamed of seeing Dave Matthews there.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I hope to make it one day. My brother-in-law and sister have always dreamed of seeing Dave Matthews there.
The stage is at the base of a natural cut in the rim of the gorge, so the backdrop scenery is awesome. Saw Counting Crows and the Wildflowers there several years ago.

Reactions: skyking

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
You've probably all seen the uncensored videos and images of the shooting victims in Allen TX.

Now this is from the police officer's bodycam:

All I can say is, "Incredibly well done"

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
More guns would have made this better. I am glad people like Moonbeam are fighting tooth and nail against any real gun control

pzprer23ocab1.jpg

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I think I figured this out. The gun violence.
Young guys have come to believe their reality in life is just some video game. A violent video game where first you are armed to the hilt, then you randomly walk around shooting people it doesn't matter the people, and the gamer doesn't care about their own death because in any video game the death of the gamer is never a tangible thing. Not a tangible death that would bring an end to the game. Within the game it doesn't matter if the gamer dies since they can just keep on playing and shooting and killing despite death.

So when some guy takes an assault weapon and walks around killing people, it's only a game. To them its only a game. Consequences? There are no consequences for a gamer, the only goal is the kill count.

So they have a choice. They can spend $60 to buy a violent video game, or spend that $60 on an assault weapon then just walk out the front door locked and loaded.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I think I figured this out. The gun violence.
Young guys have come to believe their reality in life is just some video game. A violent video game where first you are armed to the hilt, then you randomly walk around shooting people it doesn't matter the people, and the gamer doesn't care about their own death because in any video game the death of the gamer is never a tangible thing. Not a tangible death that would bring an end to the game. Within the game it doesn't matter if the gamer dies since they can just keep on playing and shooting and killing despite death.

So when some guy takes an assault weapon and walks around killing people, it's only a game. To them its only a game. Consequences? There are no consequences for a gamer, the only goal is the kill count.

So they have a choice. They can spend $60 to buy a violent video game, or spend that $60 on an assault weapon then just walk out the front door locked and loaded.

violent video games have nothing to do with our current gun violence epidemic, just like race car video games have nothing to do with people speeding. if a person is unable to separate a video game from reality, they have a bigger problem and are destined for a problematic life.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
violent video games have nothing to do with our current gun violence epidemic, just like race car video games have nothing to do with people speeding. if a person is unable to separate a video game from reality, they have a bigger problem and are destined for a problematic life.

Yeah, I mostly agree. Attempting to divert attention to "video games" is what the right like to do. At least the older parts of the right (kind of funny that many younger right-wingers rather like violent video games themselves).

I don't think there's any causal relationship there. Have never seen any evidence for one - the studies that claim to find one are (a) largely about children and (b) only find a link with 'aggression' - which is not the same as lethal violence. And I don't accept that 'aggression' as such is always wrong, in every context. It's part of our nature, and probably evolved as such for a reason.

But...I do slightly wonder sometimes if there isn't a non-causal connection between violence in media and real violence. That is, that they are both a product of a wider culture. Perhaps in some hypothetical peaceful egalitarian society video games, and culture in general, would be _very_ different?

Jul 27, 2020
In the old days, you had to be strong enough to wield and use a heavy weapon like a sword. Even armed with a dagger or bow/arrows, you could inflict limited damage until people were able to overwhelm you with sheer numbers. Now mentally ill kids can just pack an automatic weapon in their backpack and cause dozens or even hundreds of casualties coz everyone just runs and hides, waiting for the police to arrive. When it's so easy to do, you don't even need aggression or be pissed off at someone. You want to die and make a statement before you go? Just go on a shopping mall or school killing spree until you are put down.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
FL strikes again Jacksonville. This afternoon. Multiple deaths. Ongoing. Shooter is barricaded in a Dollar General Store.

Maybe DeSantis could concentrate on these kind of shooters instead of sending troops to Mexico for the cartels.

A white man fatally shot three people inside a Jacksonville, Florida, Dollar General store on Saturday in a predominately Black neighborhood in an attack that the local sheriff called racially motivated.” The shooter then killed himself.

He hated black people, Sheriff T.K. Waters told a news conference. “There is absolutely no evidence the shooter is part of any larger group.”

Waters said the shooter, who was in his 20s, used a Glock handgun and an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle with at least one of the firearms painted with a swastika.

He left behind writings that led investigators to believe that he committed the shooting because it was the fifth anniversary of when another gunman opened fire during a video game tournament in Jacksonville, killing two people before fatally shooting himself.

The shooting happened just before 2 p.m. at a Dollar General near Edward Waters University, a small historically Black university.

1693093940566.png

Last edited:

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Thing is with these maga foaming at the mouth Trumpie cult mass shooters.... they don't care if they die. In fact, they expect to die and they embrace the idea of death for the sake of maga. Just like the Japanese kamikaze pilots had no fear sacrificing their life and Alqaeda would blow themselves up for their beliefs. Now, we add to the list middle class white uneducated easily coerced Trump maga. Did I mention white?

Oh how Donald Trump keeps on giving and giving. In any other time in history Trump would have been hunted down like the wild animal he is, and hung by the neck until dead. By the way, lets keep that option open.

How does one deal with hate and anger that also involves suicidal? With the Japanese kamikaze pilots they had to be shot down before they slammed their plane into the ship. The ships were ready, and the kamikaze were easy to spot.
But in the case of a Trumpie loving maga lunatic with a gun, it's a lot harder to prevent.

Can you believe, can anyone believe the evil that Donald Trump hath brought forth into this world? Seriously, can you believe this shit? It is so easy to see and so easy to figure out and yet Donald J Trump still gets away with it.
Folks... Donald J Trump is the real threat to life liberty and freedom in America. Why is it he can not be stopped? It SHOULD NOT take a court or a judge or even an election. Nor, a district attorney. Getting rid of Donald Trump once and for all should be written within the constitution. Getting rid of Donald Trump should be as simple as bing bang boom and it's done. HOW is this insanity allowed to go on?
And yes, I do hold Donald Trump 100% accountable for all of this mass hysteria and for all of the mass killings. Every single one!!!!!! Because.... HE IS the cause.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
Dudes keyboard HAS to be melting down tonight…

Step away for a few days, mang.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
They haven't announced the shooter's name or those of the victims. Shooter wore a tactical vest and carried a Glock semiautomatic pistol as well as the ever popular AR-15 style/clone/replica, a a Palmetto PA-15, both of which were marked with swastikas. Was in his 20's and left manifestos for his parents, the media, and federal law enforcement officials detailing racial hatred.

It is more than sad that people so young are that hate filled. Blame falls on the internet, society, peer influence, parents and probably other things I haven't even thought of. I, personally, just don't get it.

Reactions: Pohemi

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
A couple more reasons why guns shouldn't be available to everybody.

1. Five shot at Morgan State University homecoming event.
"“One individual was a target of two individuals who had weapons. We don’t believe that individual was hit. We believe the five victims who were struck were unintended targets.”

2. "A grandfather who was officiating a wedding in Nebraska is facing charges after accidentally shooting his 12-year-old grandson during the ceremony." He decided to get everybody’s attention by shooting into the air but slipped when trying to cock the revolver and shot his grandson in the shoulder.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Active shooting situation with multiple victims at UNLV campus.

Not much to go on yet.

edit: subject apparently has been "contained." Location is near Beam (spelling?)Hall
edit: contained has been changed to dead.
edit: at least 3 injured.

Last edited:

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
We did it, we broke the record :confused:

Weird how our steadily increasing number of guns has not yet reached the critical mass where they solve the gun violence problem.

The answer is clear.

Not enough guns.

Reactions: iRONic