Notebook freezes after swapping HDD with SSD

No this is Patrick

Jan 18, 2017
Hi there,

after upgrading my notebook with an SSD, it will freeze some minutes after boot. However, this happens only when running on battery. As long as the machine is powered by the PSU / charger, everything is fine.

Here are the machine specs:

Acer Aspire ES1-311-P6SJ, original setup with Windows 8.1 Home, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB HDD.

Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD. The SSD is a Crucial CT512MX100SSD1. Also the BIOS and SSD firmware are the latest.

After the upgrade the notebook will always freeze when no PSU is attached. This happens with the original 4 GB RAM module as well. Also, whether peripherals are connected or not doesn't matter (such as a screen or USB devices which could draw power).

My only clue so far is that the original HDD draws 2.75 W (5 V and 0.55 A), while SSD seems to be more demanding with 8.5 W (5 V and 1.7 A).

Any advice how to solve that? I would replace the SSD if someone could make a point how to prevent another incompatibility.

Thanks!

Basic system specs:
15mzcdh.png

Original HDD:
10huo36.jpg

Replacement SSD:
dn11eb.jpg

Resource monitor during the freeze:
2utp0ux.jpg

Followed by a blue screen of frown emoticon:
35jfokp.jpg

Reboot will not work at first (to fix turn it off and on again with PSU attached ;)):
szu45i.jpg

Burpo

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2013
You've pretty much got it figured out. A more thrifty drive (in terms of power) would be the Crucial m4 256GB. Powering the extra flash chips has a cost!

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Set Power settings to maximum (for while on battery - Control Panel). Also purchase a new battery that is a higher mAh capacity. (The current battery may have a built-in current limiter in attempt to limit charging rate - result from past exploding batteries or batteries which have caught fire from too rapid charging.)

No this is Patrick

Jan 18, 2017
You've pretty much got it figured out. A more thrifty drive (in terms of power) would be the Crucial m4 256GB. Powering the extra flash chips has a cost!

Indeed! Went to the local electronics store to get whatever SSD will consume less. Bought a Samsung EVO 850 500 GB. Sticker says 7 W (5 V and 1.4 A), but reviews say 2.3 W.

A note on the crucial m4 256 GB: I haven't tried it, but its sticker reads 10 W (5 V and 2A).

For the record: used dd from a GParted live image to clone the disk. (This worked in spite of the new SSDs capacity is 12 GBs less, but the old SSD just used the first 460 GBs or so, thus some blank space at the end would not matter if truncated).

Set Power settings to maximum (for while on battery - Control Panel). Also purchase a new battery that is a higher mAh capacity. (The current battery may have a built-in current limiter in attempt to limit charging rate - result from past exploding batteries or batteries which have caught fire from too rapid charging.)

Should have mentioned this before, I've tried changing power settings and it didn't work.

Thanks guys, writing this post from my notebook running on battery with new SSD. :D:D:D

Reactions: VirtualLarry